PDA

View Full Version : Tale of Fantasy painters. Month five Painting. (Month Six WIP).

Harry
30-11-2007, 16:10
THE TALE OF FANTASY PAINTERS : MONTH FIVE.

Hello, fellow painters, Yes another month has gone by and its that time again. The Tale Of Fantasy Painters monthly update!

This is an exciting month for those of you who have not used any jokers yet as you should have around 1000 points (or half an army) Painted. Congratulations. It's all downhill from here.

Those of you who are participating, this is the official thread in which you should post the work you have done in month five. (November).You should post up to three photographs of your months work and a photo of the army so far. (The last five months work). Five Months in you should now have between 600 and 1,000 points painted (depending on how many jokers you have used).Remember if you are doing more than one army you should do a separate post for each army as if each army were a different painter.

With the photographs of you work please include a description of each character/unit you have painted, including the number and type of models, and any upgrades, items and equipment they carry, followed by the total points cost of the unit and, if you have painted more than one unit, give the total points cost of your months work.

You can also say anything you like about the highs and lows of your months painting. What you enjoyed or found hard, what you were especially pleased with, etc.

I will be posting my armies using the now familiar format. Please feel free to do the same. (or not!)

I hope you have all had a great months painting.
I can’t wait to enjoy the results.

All the best
Harry

WHAT IS IT AS ALL ABOUT?

The aim of The Tale of Painters (TOP) is to help motivate those involved to start and complete a 2000 point army in the next twelve months.

The painters involved have made a commitment to paint and post, by the last day of each month, approx 200 points of their chosen army. They do this each month for the next 12 months. Starting with the last day of July 2007.

However, because people have real lives with exams, holidays, honeymoons, new babies etc, etc. They get two 'Jokers'. For two months within the year you can ‘play a joker’ and rather than post an update they can post saying "sorry guys couldn't get it done this month. Real life got in the way." But the other 10 Months they have to come up with (approx) 200 points of painted and based figures. 200 points for 10 out of the next 12 months.

In twelve months time we will all end up with a finished 2000 point army.

All chat, questions, discussion, WIP, painting advice, encouragement, tutorials, etc, etc, should be on this thread.

A new thread will be opened on the last day of each month for each painter to post the next 200 point ‘update’ for the army they are painting and a picture of the army to date.
(OR one post for EACH army for those nutters painting more than one army!)

I will just take this opportunity to thank all the painters who have signed up for their interest and enthusiasm and for their ideas that have helped shape this project. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope this project is a big success for everyone involved. I also hope 'the viewers at home' enjoy the results of all the work of the painters involved.

THE PAINTERS (OF FANTASY ARMIES)

AdHoC : Orcs and Goblins : 4 Months painting : No jokers
Aflo : Dark Elves : 2 Months Painting : 1 jokers
Animerik : 2 Months painting : 2 jokers
Arhalien : Woodies : 4 Months painting : No jokers
Armos : Chaos : 4 Months painting : No Jokers
Catferret : Ogres 4 Months painting : No jokers
Danny 76 : Empire : 3 Months painting : 1 joker
Dave3555 : Dwarves : 2 Months painting : No jokers
Deadorc : Lizardmen : 3 Months painting : 1 Joker
Dino : Empire : 4 Months painting : No jokers
Doi : Dark Elves : 4 Months painting : No jokers
happy doctor : Dwarves : 2 Months painting : 1 joker
Harry : High Elves : 4 Months painting : No jokers
Harry : Dark Elves : 4 Months painting : No jokers
Harry : Dwarves : 3 Months painting : 1 joker
Harry Daemonic Legion : 4 Months painting : No jokers
Harry Vampire Counts : 4 Months painting : No jokers
Hastings : Empire (Ostland) : 2 Months painting : 2 jokers
Hastings : Beasts of Chaos : 2 Months painting : 2 jokers
Hastings : Nurgle Daemonic Legion : 2 Months painting : 2 jokers
Hastings : Night Goblins : 2 Months painting. 2 jokers
Hespithe : Khornate Doombull ogres : 4 Months painting : No jokers
Huw Dawson : Dwarves : 4 Months painting : No jokers
jme : Dark Elves : 2 Months painting : 1 joker
Jonahmaul : Goblins : 3 Months painting : No jokers
Horus0001 : Chaos : 2 Months painting : 1 joker
Knighta : Skaven : 4 Months painting : No jokers.
Kraxnar : High Elves : 3 Months painting : 1 jokers
Marvywill : Orcs and Goblins : 2 Months painting : 2 joker
Netguru : Empire : 2 months painting : No jokers
Saulot : Orcs and Goblins : 3 Months painting : No jokers
Sigur : Dark Elves : 4 months painting : No jokers
sil : High Elves : 1 months painting : 2 joker
Silverstu : Dwarfs : 3 Months painting : 1 jokers
Tarsus : Dogs of War : 1 and a Half months painting : 2 jokers
The boyz : Chaos Nurgle : 3 Months painting : No jokers
The eater of Pie : Woodies : 2 months painting : 1 joker
The eater of Pie : Chaos : 2 Months painting : 1 joker
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull : Night Goblins : 4 months painting : No jokers.
Zark the Dammed : Ogres : 4 Months painting : No Jokers.

I HAVE SADLY DELETED SOME MORE NAMES OF PAINTERS WE HAVE NOT HEARD FROM FOR OVER TWO MONTHS AS I ASSUME THEY HAVE 'FALLEN BY THE WAYSIDE" OR ARE TRAPPED UNDER A VERY HEAVY OBJECT.

PLEASE CHECK THIS LIST FOR ACCURACY AND LET ME KNOW WHERE I HAVE GOT IT WRONG.

Harry
30-11-2007, 16:20
If I thought I was up against it last month ... This month it has really hit the fan at work for me.

So sorry I am unable to start the thread again this month. You guys go ahead and post and I will do my best to post when I can.

Really looking forward to seeing your stuff (and getting the motivation to get mine finished).

Dino
30-11-2007, 16:43
Well might as well start the kick off again...

The Middenland and MiddenHeim 8th

Units:Warrior Priest

Backround/Theme:The state armies from Middenland and the capitol Middenheim ban together to fight against unwanted foes.

Build/Canversion:Well to start with I got me one of the new warrior priest models. Then I cut off one of the hammers and replaced it with a claw using GS and plasticard for the claws. I then cut of the head of the other hammer and replaced it with an axe from an older dwarf mini. Last I GS his beard and wolf cloak.

Painting: Nothing very special.

Basing: Same as the rest of my army.

Still to do: Apsolutty nothing.

Ups:Getting him finished.
Downs:None I can think of.

Points: Warrior priest with heavy armour and two hand weaponsPts.98
Total from last month 893
All around total 991
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture212.jpg
Army shot
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture211.jpg
Now for next month I'll paint up 10 swordesmen, 5 halbediers, and my costum Helstorm.

^Changer^
30-11-2007, 17:00
Hey guys!

I know I'm a disgrace, not having posted and all, but I really haven't had a chance to complete anything by the deadlines. This month I've done some more work on the Empire, but I realize now that this kind of painting, sadly, isn't for someone as unproductive as me. Just had to post to give all of you who's doing this some well-deserved appreciation, you guys really are an inspiration. And Harry, don't burn yourself out, you're doing an awesome job!

Also had to say that your picture in the previous post is quite awesome Dino, and I hope I achieve something like that some distant day!

Keep on rocking, I'm following this every single month!

/E

Knighta
30-11-2007, 22:35
Shizknits Horde

Unit: 30 Stormvermin

Backround/Theme: The "elite" troops of the army, although the only difference between them and a clanrat is a halbard...

Build/Conversion: Straight from the blisters. Although, on the odd helbard, i cut the tip off, and put a spear head on, to make it look a little different

Painting: Green, cause silver just doesnt work... I've tried

Still to do: Nothing

HIGHS: They're done, and they stand out from the rest of the army
LOWS: Nothing really, im happy with them

New total: 1057

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/Knighta22/IMG_1492.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/Knighta22/IMG_1489.jpg

It's getting harder and harder to fit it all into the camera ... :mad:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/Knighta22/IMG_1483.jpg

@ Dino: Love the middenhiem priest, your amy's comming along great

Next Month:
12 giant rats, 2 packmasters, 8 poisoned wind globadiers and a ratling gun

Jonahmaul
01-12-2007, 10:01
Boo, no pics from Harry yet, I wanna see how my favourite undead army is coming along! Also Harry - I think you'll find i've done 4 months painting with no jokers not 3 (even if one month I didn't post until about 2 weeks through!)

@ Dino - really like that Warrior Priest, fits the theme of the army extremely well.

@ Knighta - nice stormvermin. your army is coming together really well & you manage to get your quote done on time very month! know what you mean about the army not fitting in the picture. i think all of us who are doing horde armies will have to have 2 army shot pictures soon! isn't it depressing when you look at what you've got to paint for the next month and its soooo many models!!

I still haven't even started painting my stuff & the curry & beer option won out over spending time with them last night but when i get home from work today they're going to be sprayed (they're already cleaned up) & i'll start painting tonight or tomorrow. don't think they'll take me long so the 7 squig hoppers should be ready to display soon. haven't converted the BSB yet so may only end up with around 100 points this month but i'll make it up next month.

not sure what i'm gonig to do for next month's entry yet, i'd like to do skarsnik or another giant but i kinda wanna keep the army legal as i go along so probably opt for another special choice. unfortunately this means a unit of squig herds which is gonna cost almost 50 :eek:

PS congratulations to everybody who's done 5 months with no jokers - you now have half your army done!

Catferret
01-12-2007, 11:01
Well, here is my submission for November's work. Not quite up to the usual standard but they do look better in person. The faces look funny in the pics. Think it's the flash.

UNITS: 3 Ogre Bulls with extra hand weapons; 2 Leadbelchers with Bellower

BUILD/CONVERSION: Straight from box. Nothing interesting I'm afraid. BTW, the modular bases turn out a little oversized if you cut where you are supposed to. Don't follow the lines, measure instead!

PAINTING: Bit more of the same. Tried Dark Flesh layer after the Scorched Brown to save time. Still needs 2 layers of Tanned Flesh after that to get decent coverage, but better than 5...

BASING: Sand. Paint Scorched Brown. Drybrush Codex Grey. Drybrush a couple of areas with Grayeyard Earth. Add Scorched Grass and drybrush Kommando Khaki.

STILL TO DO: Tattoos. That will be saved for the end and the whole army will be done at once. Once I decide what I'm doing...

HIGHS AND LOWS: Getting everything painted on time! Started December's stuff already too. It's a christmas miracle! ;)

TOTAL POINTS : 1021

Pictures:

Bulls (to go with last month's Bellower)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/catferret/NovemberBulls.jpg

Leadbelchers
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/catferret/NovemberLeadbelchers.jpg

Army shot
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/catferret/NovemberArmy.jpg

There ya go. Progress pics of December's models will appear later in the thread once everybody else has submitted. Pics are also available on my new Gnoblog (http://www.ogrestronghold.com/forum/index.php?topic=7188.0) over on the Ogre stronghold.

Dino: The priest looks great. Nice work. Glad you're still around mate.
Knighta: The skaven are looking great. Congrats on getting the horde done each month!
Harry: We await with baited breath.

Arhalien
01-12-2007, 14:34
Right, here we go then

Name: Arhalien (Hywel)
Army: Wood Elves; The Twilight Host
Highs: The first week: I managed to get the eternal guard command done quickly, to a good standard very quickly. I was feeling incredibly good about the painting.
Lows: The rest of the month: Then everything went wrong; I was hit by play rehearsals, lots of work and I stalled completely on the waywatchers. I've only done 3 out of the 5 I was planning to do, so next month is going to have to be big to try and catch up again.
Painted this month: 3 Eternal Guard, full command, war banner. 3 waywatchers.
Points= 230+204+177+211+163=985
Hmm, I'm sure I was further away from the total than that :confused:

ANyway, pics:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/EternalGuardcmdfront.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/Waywatchers1-3front.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/ToPMonth5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Harry
01-12-2007, 15:15
@Dino
Thanks for getting the ball rolling again. Nice conversion on the priest.
Congrats on 1000 points and no jokers don't they look well with their matching bases and movement trays. Despite the mix of troop types they are coming together beautifuuly as a unified army. Really well done.

@Changer.
Sorry you fell off the pace but great to hear you still vsit regularly and thanks for the words of support and encouragement for everyone. Hopefully you will give it another crack next year?

@Knighta
Well done again. 5 months painting and no jokers on a horde army is good going. You really have painted a load of minis for that army. These are you best yet. They do stand out nicely as being the more regimented 'elite' unit. Great job and congrats on reaching the halfway point with both jokers intact.

@Jonahmaul.
I will correct your entry. Apologies.
Also, sorry to let you down. The undead are nearly done I will post those within the week I'm sure.

@Catferret.
Another of the '5 months painting and no jokers' boys. Well done. Wonderful standard of painting you have maintained. All those ogres look great together and contrast nicely with the gnoblars. Looking forward to the tats.

@Arhalien.
Arhalien, Arhalien, Arhalien. And you were thinking of dropping out. Whilst individually these may not be the best painted minis on this forum I have to say, in my opinion, they are, taken as a whole, one of the coolest looking armies I have seen here. I must admit that when I saw your first, single, mini I thought 'thats a bit drab' but 5 months and 1000 points later I love this scheme. Its like a mini forest on legs. It really leaves the cartoony, emerald green wood elves of the 5th edition behind and brings them slap bang up to date with the darker, grimmer warhammer world we know today. Nothing 'tree huggy' about these guys they look dark and dangerous and this army has completely changed my plans for painting schemes for my vintage woodies.

Well done on sticking to the task and 1000 points and no jokers.

Arhalien
01-12-2007, 15:37
@Arhalien.
Arhalien, Arhalien, Arhalien. And you were thinking of dropping out. Whilst individually these may not be the best painted minis on this forum I have to say, in my opinion, they are, taken as a whole, one of the coolest looking armies I have seen here. I must admit that when I saw your first, single, mini I thought 'thats a bit drab' but 5 months and 1000 points later I love this scheme. Its like a mini forest on legs. It really leaves the cartoony, emerald green wood elves of the 5th edition behind and brings them slap bang up to date with the darker, grimmer warhammer world we know today. Nothing 'tree huggy' about these guys they look dark and dangerous and this army has completely changed my plans for painting schemes for my vintage woodies.

Well done on sticking to the task and 1000 points and no jokers.

Harry, I wouldn;t be here still if it weren;t for the encouragement I get from everyone on this thread, and you in particular last month. And when I get ecnouragement like that Harry it seems somewhat more worthwhile ;)

@Dino: Well done being first again :p The army is looking fantastic.
@Catferret: The army is looking as excellent as ever; great stuff :D
@Knighta: Good work keeping up the work on such a large army. Is that dessicated coconut on the bases there? :p

Animerik
01-12-2007, 20:23
sorry guys no pics yet.... I will be going away soon so Ill hope I can get some pics on what Ive been working before Im going away on a trip and returning the 10th. If not then I have to drop out since Im out of jokers....... I hope Ill have time to take some pics then...

Dino:Nice priest like the look on him

Catferret: Damn those ogres are drop dead gorgeoues ^^ its nice to see such a nice painted army keep up the awsome work!

Arhalien:These elves are getting better and better. Really like the darker kind of wood elves and your army is one of the best wood elves Ive seen so keep working and dont stop

Great work guys I hope I can make it in time would be terrible to drop out of this!

Harry
01-12-2007, 20:33
@Anemerik
I have never imposed a time limit or a deadline.
Just post up what you have done when you get the chance.

jme
01-12-2007, 21:56
Hey everyone, the past two months have been murder with uni deadlines and lots of other real life stuff! But Im back now and will see this through to the end! First a few comments on everyones work:
@Dino. Im so loving your army! The bear claw is so cool!
@Knighta. Great work on a hard army to paint as they have so many models. Your colour scheme works very well, skaven and green just go well together.
@Catferret. Everytime I see your work I keep meaning to finish my ogre army (which are very much like yours), keep up the great work.
@Arhalien. These are amazing. Everything works so well with them. Would love to see some custom made woods for them. Ash and yew trees would look good with them.
@Everyone else would posted last month, well done guys, loving seeing everyones work and armies growing!
Anyway here is my update, just one model as its all Ive had time for, but with Xmas hols coming up should get lots done.
Army: Sundering Elves
This Month: Lv2 Dark Mage with magic items 180pts
Army so far 575pts.
Will get an army shot done soon.
Enjoy
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x203/ogregut/darkmage001.jpg

Knighta
02-12-2007, 02:34
@Jonahamul: Thanks for the comment. Yeah, its pretty depressing. What i've painted so far is about 1/3 of my models left. On the other hand, seeing them all painted gives me joy. Can't wait to see your dudes this month.

@Catferret: Love your work, as always a great paint job on your models, the skin is the standout to me, it looks great, and is probly the hard bit of any model, but you seem to have mastered it.

@Arhalien: The waywatchers arnt your best paint job, no, but they still look fantastic and link together stongly with the rest of the army. To be complety honest, i cant tell the difference between them and the eternal guard from where im sitting. Don't fret about hier standard, thier done, and you should congratulate yourself on a job well done.

@jme: Cool mini, like the paint job. Is he/she intentionally crosseyed? cause it suits the model so well :p

@ Everyone else: Good luck on your painting, and have a great Christmas

Jonahmaul
02-12-2007, 08:55
@ Catferret - awesome looking Ogre's, your army is coming together very nicely. Only thing I would say about it is that perhaps you could do with sanding your movement trays to tie them in with the army. I'm sure that's something your going to do but armies look so much better without the greyness!

@ Arhalien - agree with Harry's coments about the army looking very brooding/menacing but I also liked them to start with!! The army is coming together nicely even though you felt that you wouldn't be motivated enough

@ jme - welcome back! Nice to see some new mini's appearing up on here too (not that i've got anything against older or vintage mini's!)

@ Animerik - will you bo*****ks drop out!! just post the picture when you can. Your stuff is awesome so I ban you from disappearing & not letting us see the rest of your army.

@ Harry - I suppose I can forgive you for not having posted pictures of your undead (or indeed other stuff) yet. I've still yet to spray my stuff (about to go do it after posting) but i'll hopefully have some pictures to show this wek. I've also converted my BSB which was easier that I'd first anticipated (ridiculously easy in fact) so that may get done too.

silverstu
02-12-2007, 10:34
@Dino- great priest- and i really like how the whole army is coming togther- the unifying colours and bases work really well- it's some size now- excellent work and well done being the first to post.
@knighta- loving the rats- thats some horde you've got going there mate and the stormvermin look great in thier green armour. I'll have to get my mate to check your stuff out- he can't face painting up all his rats. Well done- soon it will be time to break out the wide angle lens!
@catferret- what can i say- great work as always- i like how you have differientated your leadbelchers by painting the barrels more goldy coloured while the others have a coppery/bronze feel. Army is looking great.
@Arhalien- can't beleive you even considered giving up-your army is coming together really well-bags of character. I really like the blending and shading on your eternal guard- you've got some good depth of tones there. keep it up mate[and no jokers yet -dunno what you were worried about] excellent effort.
@jme- great to see your work on the new mage- nice neat painting, looking forward to seeing the army shot and glad you are sticking with it.
right I'm of to try and get my stuff finished to keep up with all you fine fellows..

Arhalien
02-12-2007, 11:09
@Animerik, Knighta, Jonah, Stu, jme: Thanks for all the kind words; they're all a great encouragement :D

@Arhalien. These are amazing. Everything works so well with them. Would love to see some custom made woods for them. Ash and yew trees would look good with them.

Interesting idea on the trees; only slight problem is that I've never made any terrain before, and I have no idea how to go about doing it. Maybe a project for next summer after the rest of the army is done.

jme
02-12-2007, 11:40
@Knighta, wasn't meant to be crosseyed, only really noticed in the pic! In fact Ive noticed many things I need to touch up in the pic, seems to be a good idea to take a pic of a finished mini to see where improvements can go.

TheDrugLordX
02-12-2007, 12:16
Now I know I'm a bit late... but I was wondering if it would be possible to join this little fun thing you guys got going?:angel:

As I'm a bit behind, I could either just paint 300pts per month, or paint double (400pts/month) untill I've catched up with you guys and continue at your pace. In either way, I would have no jokers.

I've just recently started with a HE army (painted 4 models total), but as I have a tendency of starting something, then putting it to rest, and then a couple of months later starting with something new I think this would be the perfect thing for me to get an army done for once in a while!

So, am I in or am I out? ;)

Jonahmaul
02-12-2007, 14:30
Technically it's getting a bit late to let people join in as even if they play two jokers then they should've submitted stuff from month 3 onwards. Technically this decision also falls to Harry who's kinda been instated as the official of TOFP but i'm not really sure he likes the reponsibility.

So my two cents worth is to say joker month one & two and then you should have submissions for month's three, four & five which equals 600 points plus decembers which would take the total to 800 points. Therefore get some pics posted this month but try & have 800 points done by the end of december (or at least most of 800 points). Then you can join in with the normal amount each month & keep pace with everyone else (it could be disheartening for some people seeing someone else submit twice as much as them each month). As HE are quite expensive & hopefully you'll have some spare time from work/school/uni over xmas this should be quite achievable? (obvisouly i don't know your commitments so that's somewhat speculative).

Of course, i'm in no position to make a 'ruling' on such matters but everybody here is friendly & the purpose of the thread it is to have fun & inspire people to paint a 2000 point army. I think it's more rewarding for those who've been here from the start but hey, that's just my opinion!

Danny76
02-12-2007, 16:28
i agree with jonah, would be good to have you in! If you could get anywhere between 600-800 points done by the end of december then you'd be pretty close.
Perhaps characters first to make it easier and less models to paint.
I'm sure no one would mind you joining late if you can catch up to that stage soon enough, but it will indeed depend on your free time situation.

On ToFP, mine will be posted later this week. Its all done just need to get hold of the camera.. :D

Dino
02-12-2007, 21:02
@^Changer^: Well thx man. And don't worry life just gets in the way some times(believe me). But a pic of what you do got done ain't gonna hurt nothing.

@Knighta: Thx man, and congats on all you've finished. You've earned it. I can only sit back and look with wonder how you do it, and how big this army is gonna look when it's finished.

@Catferret: Can't wait to see what more of youre stuff in future months. And Thx.

@Arhalien: Thx.

@jme: Needs some touches here and there but very nice.

@Every body else: Thx.

And just becouse I feel like making a few(or bunch it really doesn't matter to me how many) twich and get worried, here's my stuff for December.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture274.jpg
Don't worry though I have other stuff I'm working on. And incase youre interested here a link at Ammobunker:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/The_Ammobunker/index.php?showtopic=737

silverstu
02-12-2007, 21:18
Dino- you over productive swine! I haven't even posted november yet and your posting december!:eek:
Definately turning into mr motivator for this thread- do you have a whip too?:D
[seriously -nice work but try and slow down a bit and give us slow coaches a chance;)].
Stu.

Dino
02-12-2007, 22:36
All is well silverstu.

I have other Empire stuff I'm doing at the momment, plus a BFSB dwarfs, and a bunch of vampire counts stuff coming my way soon so no worries.

No whip but I do have an electric cattle prod.:evilgrin:

Tarsus
02-12-2007, 23:44
@dino - Great Army, i really love the priest, it looks fantastic. Plus its only the 3rd and your almost done on next months.

@Kinghta - Brilliant skaven, can i ask what you have been using to base them?

@Catferret - Loving the Ogres, always have loved the models, for the tattoos i would suggest some thin swirl patterns in a bright red, i think they would really stand out without detracting from the rest of the model.

@Arhalien - Cool elves they look exactly like my mates, apart from you have more than 5 models painted. And a suggestion for the terrain, its christmas, buy a christamas tree and cut it up, instant massive forrest. Im still using bits of one from over 5 years ago, plastic obviously, it doesnt look as good as some fo the purpuse built model trees but its cheap, easy and quick.

@JME - Looks like hes stood on a giant mr whippee, fantastic, youve got a really nice looking crisp white.

@Harry - its not like you to not post all your armies first, youve been slipping these last few months j/k.

Mine are almost completely done, just the bases to do, ill have pictures up on wednesday at the latest, ive managed to do almost 500 points :eek: this month so im well on my way to catch you guys up, thanks to the wonders that is tiny expensive models.

Tarsus
02-12-2007, 23:45
Also dino i just noticed, on your WIP pic the second halberdier from the right is looking right at the camera :p

Knighta
03-12-2007, 00:54
@Kinghta - Brilliant skaven, can i ask what you have been using to base them?

Sawdust and green food dye ;)

Saulot
03-12-2007, 01:46
Also dino i just noticed, on your WIP pic the second halberdier from the right is looking right at the camera :p

haha... did you do that on purpose dino?

Harry: sadly, i took a joker last month so you can put me up as 3 months painting, 1 joker. i'll try to post this month's entry by this weekend...

very nice motivation from dino, knighta, arhalien, catferret, and jme by posting awesome stuff right on schedule! keep it up guys!

Kraxnar
03-12-2007, 11:04
Unfortunately I'm going to have to use my second joker this month :(

The 5 Swordmasters with command are about 2/3rds done and I could probably finish them off before the cut off date but it leaves me with only 100ish points done. So I'll use the reduced workload this month to hopefully catch up a bit.

Good luck guys, I'll come back and post comments soon.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
03-12-2007, 15:24
Hi

nice work guys, I will post my pictures from my stuff friday cause I'm still doing the woodgrains on the bows of my goblins.

Greetz
G

MutantMaggot
03-12-2007, 16:39
These are amazing models here ... a fantastic thread Harry, with amazing results. You deserve all the praise you get, and far more. :) Getting people motivated is often hard, but you have managed it magnificently.

BTW, could I join? I have been painting at a similar rate to this thread, and now have 1300pts of Empire, and though I may have camera difficulties, I'd love to join in.

Thanks,
MM :)

Doi
04-12-2007, 03:37
Units: 2x 10 Warriors with Repeater Crossbows and Shields

Backround/Theme: Still nothing yet, still got a couple of months to go though

Build/Conversion: Straight out of the box with the exception of two head swaps to represent champions/unit leaders (though not in game, just cos it looks cool)

Painting: Pretty good for my abilities atleast, albeit I'm disappointed with how the skin turned out on some (the one thing I hate painting is skin).

Basing: Same as the rest of my army.

Still to do: Symbols on the shields, though yet again I'm waiting to make tempaltes for it, cos my freehand-fu sucks, and do the base on one model (hereby dubbed Mr. Jumps to Floor to Escape Military Service and Breaks (and Breaks Off) Base). Oh and do the movement trays for the two units, but I ran out of white spray paint, and pigs will fly before I try and paint that much white by hand just for a movement tray

Ups: Getting 20 guys done in a month (way too many guys for me).

Downs: Mr. Jumps to Floor to Escape Military Service and Breaks (and Breaks Off) Base.

Points: 10 Warriors with Repeater Crossbows and Shields - 120pts
10 Warriors with Repeater Crossbows and Shields - 120pts
Total of 240pts for the month
Total from last month - 900pts
Total after Month 5 - 1140

Lucky Im nearly a full month ahead of where I should be (thanks to all my months so far being just that bit over 200pts), because in a week I go on holidays for a month so I wont get time to paint much more than 78pts of Harpies I'm starting next (and still leaves me 18pts ahead of where I'm supposed to be:D)

On to the pics:

Warriors with Repeater Crossbows and Sheilds 1:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x4/WaaaghDoi/DCP_0707.jpg

Warriors with Repeater Crossbows and Shields 2:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x4/WaaaghDoi/DCP_0711.jpg

TOFP Month 5 Army Shot:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x4/WaaaghDoi/DCP_0723.jpg

Now for some comments:

@ Dino: Nice Warrior Priest, the claws remind me of the guy at the end of Enter the Dragon

@ Knighta: Looking good, sick of rats yet?

@Catferret: Lovely Stuff, always loved your Ogres

@Arhalien: I'm really liking seeing these Wood Elves come together, especially in such a nice colour scheme

@jme: Good looking mage, is the lighting effects on the staff painted on or a trick of the camera

@ Dino again: Nice to see not everyone paints in a mad rush at the end of the month like I do! I reckon you need to find a way to model something like a bird flying above the Halbedier that is looking up at the camera, or some other distraction. CHARGING CHAOS KNIGHTS AAAAAA- oohh pretty birdy....

Well that's it from me from now, must be off to see if Pox has any more pictures of that dragon up yet.

silverstu
04-12-2007, 08:52
@doi- hey looking good mate-the warriors with crossbows look great, the headswaps really work well. Your army looks awesome- very coherant and has great feel- you must be chuffed with that!
@dino- electric cattleprod?! That's some motivator!
Nearly finished my stuff but had to knock up a bolt thrower to make the points up. Should have pics by the weekend.

Catferret
04-12-2007, 09:39
Doi, those Dark Elves look great. I was thinking about starting High Elves after my Ogres but after seeing the great job you, Harry and Sigur have done, I'm thinking I'll just wait a little longer for the new Dark Elves. :evilgrin:

sigur
04-12-2007, 10:03
Very nie, guys. At this point of the project, the armies are taking shape which makes the pictures of the whole armies a delight to look at.

@Arhalien: Very nice Wood Elves. The colourscheme is a tad dark/dim for my liking but they look great nonetheless.

@Dino: Nice empire, mate. Is this a rocket launcher in the back? What does it stand in for, a cannon?

Me, I'm way behind schedule again. As you might remember, the pegasus rider was finished a few weeks ago, the Harpies are done since last night so I still have to finish the pegasus itself and it's base. That's quite a lot to do and there are some tests coming up the next days/weeks but I think I can do it. I have to save up those jokers for the months after christmas and in next semester.

syrme
04-12-2007, 12:45
id like to join in too if thats ok.- i started my High Elves 2 weeks ago and should comfortably have 700-800 points by end of the month - I already have mounted prince and a unit of white lions virtually finished and 2 units of archers in various stages of painting.

Dino
04-12-2007, 15:54
@Doi: And now I have another army shot too look at in wonder and joy(I love army shots what can I saw). Very nice work man. Are you planning on adding the new Dark elf sorceress from AoW this or next month?

@sigur: Thx, the Helstorm rocket battery is one of the new Empire artlliry pieces.

Jonahmaul
04-12-2007, 16:54
@ Doi - those DE are awesome, very neatly painted & the army as a whole looks awesome.

Still not done much of mine & got the TV to myself tonight as missus out so going to be playing Mass Effect tonight! Hopefully get some done tomorrow & pretty sure i'll have something to post by the end of the weekend.

Doi
04-12-2007, 21:11
@ silverstu: Thanks for the comment, much appreciated, and I must admit, I am really chuffed with how the DE are turning out

@ Catferret: Come to the Dark side, you can have all the Witch Elves you desire:evilgrin:....

@ Dino: I am planning on getting the Avatars of War Sorceress, but I don't use a Sorceress on foot in my 2000pt list, I do use on in smaller point games though so I'll post up a picture anyway

@ Jonahmaul: Thanks for the comment

Well my plans to get my harpies done have fallen by the wayside, since I'm working all weekend and going out with mates once or twice before I go on holidays I'm left with about 2 maybe 3 days to get stuff painted before I leave, which is not enough time for the harpies cos I hate painting skin so it takes too long to paint, so it wont get done before I leave. But the models I've ordered to convert my Noble on Dark Steed are supposed to arrive today, so I should be able to convert him and have it painted and based before I go. Failling that I've got the last rank of executioners I could paint. Pretty sure I can get something painted before I go:D

Catferret
05-12-2007, 00:21
@ Catferret: Come to the Dark side, you can have all the Witch Elves you desire

Witch elves? Pffft. Corsairs are where my money will be going. Wimmins on ships are bad luck! What sort of pirate are you? :p

EDIT: I got bored today so made this. I have some crazy Mordheim plans in the works just now...

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/catferret/Gnoblog/Gnoblog012.jpghttp://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/catferret/Gnoblog/Gnoblog013.jpghttp://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/catferret/Gnoblog/Gnoblog014.jpg

Doi
05-12-2007, 01:35
Witch elves? Pffft. Corsairs are where my money will be going. Wimmins on ships are bad luck! What sort of pirate are you?

Bad luck, eh? You'd think so, but I reckon your Corsairs would be a bit too scared to point it out to them lest the Cauldron of Blood on board has them all afflicted with Red Fury:p

The Gnoblar looks good too, just need one with two of the old duelling pistols from the Kroot Sprue, a red beard and a cowboy hat and you've got your own Yosemite Sam:D

Catferret
05-12-2007, 11:12
The Gnoblar looks good too, just need one with two of the old duelling pistols from the Kroot Sprue, a red beard and a cowboy hat and you've got your own Yosemite Sam:D

:eek: Stolen! Now I just need some Kroot pistols...

Huw_Dawson
05-12-2007, 20:55
Hey, just poopping in to let everyone know that my post will be up tomorrow. :p
- Huw

75hastings69
06-12-2007, 07:14
I am almost finished with this months work. I have to finish my GUO tonight and the empire cannon crews. I have no camera with me at work so I can't post pictures until 14th December when I get home - sorry. I should hopefully be starting work on my Dragon Ogre Shaggoth in the next few days ready for Decembers update, as well as another 30 NG & 3 Fanatics, finishing my Empire General, and painting up my Exhalted Champion of Nurgle on Daemonic Steed for my Nurgle Army.

Arhalien
06-12-2007, 08:09
@Arhalien: Very nice Wood Elves. The colourscheme is a tad dark/dim for my liking but they look great nonetheless.

Not enough purple and red in there for your liking? :p

@Hastings; great work getting the painting (nearly) done; I'm really looking forward to seeing the pictures :D

Zark the Damned
06-12-2007, 13:29
Good work so far everyone - I HAVE got my stuff for November painted, but need to get the pics taken (which will probably end up being slightly late at the weekend as I'm busy tonight and tomorrow evening...)

Tarsus
06-12-2007, 17:10
FOR HIRE
Dogs of War

Hi, im Sir Ulric de Eee, but to my friends and customers im known as "CRAZY UL" and my prices are unbelievable.

My Soldiers for hire are the best of the best and worth every penny. We offer our services to anyone, for the right price of course, and specialise in the most modern of combat styles.

As well as my famous pike regiments this month i bring you a new and simply amazing selection of warriors and wizards alike to choose from.

First up is the amazing Kulgor "not a dwarf" Smith, hes one of the most amazing wizards ive ever had the honour of knowing and id definately not a dwarf, he may look like one, he may well smell like one, but he knows magic so cant possibly be one, trust me on this or my names not CRAZY UL!!

Hes also available for childrens parties.

Yours for only 145 crowns and i will even throw in a special scroll that is certain to stop your enemys magic in its tracks!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d79/swirec/SL270216.jpg

My next special this month is the simply fantastic modern innovation that is the crossbow, but wait i hear you cry, crossbows have been around for years, well that may be true but these crossbows are special. They are a secret design of my own devising that make them guaranteed to kill all your enemys without fail, in fact I am so sure of this that im offering your full money back if you lose a battle and find yourself dead.

They are also very useful for dealing with any pesky pidgeon problems your knigdom may have!

You can have 10 of these for only 80 crowns, or my name isnt CRAZY UL!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d79/swirec/SL270223.jpg

And this months final offer is the outstandingly brilliant duelists trained in the art of gentlemenly combat by the very gods themselves, they have never ever lost a duel to the death for their entire lives.

Yours for the low price of 90 crowns, and that price includes the cost of their pistols. Ammo sold seperately.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d79/swirec/SL270221.jpg

Thats all I have to offer this month, but im expecting a big delivery soon, and when I say big, I mean GIANT!

And as always you can always in the event of large scale invasions you hire my entire stock for the incredibly low price of just 616 crowns a month, and for that price ill even fight myself!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d79/swirec/SL270227.jpg

Well thats enough of that.

Name: Tarsus (One of crazy Ul's agents)

Army: Dogs of War, Crazy Ul's Bargain Bandits

Highs: Painting enough models to catch up with where im supposed to be up to, oh, and making my "for hire" advert.

Lows: That damn orange paint, it just refuses to stick.

Painted this month: 10 crossbows, 10 duelists and a non-dwarf wizard

Build: The crossbows are right from the box, as is the wizard, the duelists are empire swordmen with added pistols from the empire pistoleer box set.

Painting : As before, lots of different clothes, simple but effective highlighting, and some models recieved more attention then others. The only thing im going to keep in common throughout the whole army is the white feathers.

Points= 301 + 315 = 616

All in all everything turned out quite well, I still have the wizards eyes to do, but i hate eyes so im leaving them until i have the confidence, i also have the banners to do but im leaving them until last of all, plus i may even make a tray for the crossbows but im not sure if its worth it.

Stay tuned next month for even more jokes, ive got some fantastic ones when i get around to my norse marauders.

Hespithe
06-12-2007, 18:38
Hespithe's Bloodbulls of Khaarg

UNIT(S):
Khaarg the Immaculate - General, Doombull
2x 4 Bloodbulls w/ Great Weapons
3x 8 Chaos Hounds (Spiders)
1x 8 Chaos Furies

BACKGROUND/THEME:
Imagine an Ogre Kingdoms Tribe that has forsworn its fealty and devotion to The Maw in favor of a deity that promises more satisfaction on all levels than The Maw has ever provided. The Tribe has gone over to Khorne, and as is the norm for Chaos in all of its malevolent forms, such malevolent forms appear within the bodies of its worshipers, the Doombull more than most. Such mutation and fanaticism would boost the abilities of the typical Ogre substantially. The army uses the Beastmen rules set.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Khaarg is based off of the Ogre Tyrant metal body, and keeps the weapon options found within that kit. The shield and gut-plate are scavenged from the 40K Chaos Defiler sprues. The flaming mane and hooves (and leg warmers) are greenstuff. It took quite a bit of cutting, griping, and bleeding before I was finally satisfied (convinced it wasn't gonna get any better) with the model.

The Bloodbulls are based from Ogre Kingdoms Bull Ogres with just a few tweaks and an intense Khornate Red paint scheme. I'm hoping that not too many people have trouble recognizing these guys as Khornate Minotaur Wannabes, but I expect a little flak none the less.

The Spiders were a trip. I was initially looking for a few BfSP boxed set spiders but was unable to find enough. A friend tipped me off to a local party supply store that had bags of spiders that should be about the right size. Best tip yet.

The Furies are Ral Partha Gargoyles. I've always liked these better than the GW Furies. I also use them as a Harpy Warband when playing Mordheim.

PAINTING:
I'm hoping that all of the models will satisfactorily fit the Chaos Ogre theme. Skin tones will be Khornate Red, and most other colors will be darker to emphasize the flesh tones.

BASING:
Fairly typical, in order to match the gaming terrain we use most often. Sand, painted in earthy browns, and then flocked is pretty much the norm.

STILL TO DO:
Next, Exalted Daemon and 16 more Bloodbulls.

Doombull - General, Hellfire 'Mace', Heavy Armour, Shield - 304pts
2x 4 Bloodbulls w/ Great Weapons - 458
3x 8 Spiders - 144pts
1x 8 Furies - 120pts

Total: 1026 pts thus far...

Just a single photo this time around. You can probably see that the far right Bull has a damaged torso. Any idea of how I can make this look better without the use of green stuff (I'm out)?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/Hespithe/Fantasy%20Chaos/DSC01167.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/Hespithe/Fantasy%20Chaos/DSC01168.jpg

Huw_Dawson
06-12-2007, 21:06
My post is going to be delayed. Camera is playing up. Pictures may be up tomorrow. :|

- Huw

Knighta
07-12-2007, 04:39
@Doi: Army's shaping up well, will look better once you get some designs onto those warriors ;)

@Tarsus: Army looks well good. The rag-tag and mercenary look goes well with your Dogs of war.

@Hespithe: Good looking stuff as always. As for the dude on the right, not sure what too do with him, spose youll have to get green stuff :)

Huw_Dawson
07-12-2007, 16:51
Yaaah! I got the photos!

Huw Dawson's Dwarven Throng of North Hall, Karak Karaz

UNIT(S): 16 Dwarven Quarrelers with Full Command, Great Weapons.

BACKGROUND/THEME: The northern halls of Karak Karaz has been the hardest hit by the recent incursions of Chaos and the Orcs. These are the veterans of those wars, the standing army of North Hall.

BUILD/CONVERSION: Standard, athough the axes I had a little fun with as usual.

PAINTING: Same as always really, with little bits of variation. Mostly just one or two colours with an ink wash.

BASING: GW flock. Kill me. Kill me now.

STILL TO DO: One or two bases, nothing major.

Total: 1021. :3

PICTURES:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Huw_Dawson/TOMG051.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Huw_Dawson/TOMG052.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Huw_Dawson/TOMG053.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Huw_Dawson/TOMG054.jpg

Catferret
07-12-2007, 19:14
As much as I hate stunties, those look great Huw. Nice work.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
07-12-2007, 19:37
hello guys

I'm here finnaly with pic's altough only army pic's cause my batteries died.

The total point cost from the army now is 1071pts, so 71 above the limit and still on sheme.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/476WGG/PB210001.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/476WGG/PB210002.jpg

Enjoy it

Greetz
G

silverstu
07-12-2007, 21:10
@Huw- looking really great mate- they look really gritty and battle hardened.Army is coming together rightly. hopefully I'll get my pics up soonish.

sigur
07-12-2007, 23:58
Beastlord Rakarth™'s Hunting Party (work in progress name)

Aaaaalright, I'm 30 minutes late for "one week after the last of the month" but I hope you'll let me pass this time. Picture-taking and processing took a bit longer than expected.

UNITS:
-Highborn Beastlord Rakarth and Bracchus
- 5 Cold One Knights
- 5 Dark Riders with repeating corssbows and Musician
- 10 Executioners of Har Ganeth
- 6 Shades

this month:
- "Hunter" Noble on Dark Pegasus with Lance, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak and Seal of Ghrond
- 6 Harpies (led by Hag-mother *****)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
*sigh*

BUILD/CONVERSION:
As all druchii players, I have to convert my character models. In this case, I went for a relatively simple conversion: The basic miniature is the Cold One Knights command unit model with the tip/blade of the lance clipped off and replaced with the Beastmaster miniature's tip of the spear. Furthermore, I added Malus Darkblade's Sea Dragon cloak (I mentioned it before; this bit is quite a godsent for everyone who converts DE characters).

The Harpies aren't really converted (apart from the incident when ***** fell on her face but this hardly counts, I'm afraid. .

PAINTING:
Oh, painting went very well, at least for the first week. Then tests came up and there was a general lack of painting motivation. 90% of the Harpies and the Pegasus were done in the past four days.

I tried this marble pattern on the armour for the first time and I like it quite much eventhough some finishing stripes of almost-white would have made it look even better.

BASING:
This time, I put more emphasis than usual on the bases. There are two things I did for the first time: a.) using cork to make rocky bases and b.) drilling a hole in each harpie and making their poses a bit more "dynamic" and "flyer-like". For the Pegasus' base, I decided to "make him fly" too literally in the last minute. I also used bristles of a big brush to make some dry, high grass. Might have to tone that one down a bit later on though as it looks a bit yellow-ish as it is now.

STILL TO DO:
Sadly, not too little. There's the shield for the Noble that's still to paint and the highlighting on the pegasus isn't as nice as I'd like it to be. The purple on the wings is pretty sloppily-done too and the mane and tail could also need some finishing highlights.

-Highborn Beastlord Rakarth and Bracchus - between 470 and 550 really, depending on the equipment)
- "Hunter" Noble on Dark Pegasus - 175
- 5 Cold One Knights - 145
- 5 Dark Riders including Musician - 127
- 10 Executioners of Har Ganeth - 110
- 6 Shades - 84
- 6 Harpies - 78

Total: 718 + 470pts for Rakarth = 1188pts, so I'm 188points ahead of the schedule if I'm not mistaken.

And here are the photos, gentlemen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Dark%20Elves/hunternoble5.jpg
"Hunter" Noble on pegasus

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Dark%20Elves/harpiesTOP1.jpg
Harpies

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Dark%20Elves/armyshot41.jpg
The whole army so far. It's all from the TOFP except for the block of spear-wielding elves, the chariot, the crossbow unit (in front of the Harpies) and the sorceresses (the girls in the front).

edit: more pictures can be seen in my photobucket folder (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Dark%20Elves/). And feel free to pay a visit at my painting log (see my signature for the link) and drop a comment.

sigur
08-12-2007, 00:34
Now that the formal stuff is done, let's get on to the comments. There is quite a lot of the November stuff posted already and since it's almost half-time for the whole project, the forces are taking shape and the whole army shots are a delight to see.

@Dino: Very nice. I'm pretty sure I commented your priest in your log already. Your army looks great on the tabletop; vibrant colours and fitting bases (green grass+white snow patches = thumbs up). Just what I expect from an Empire army. I knew about this new Empire missile launcher thing but I never saw the single-rocket version, only the multi-launcher one.

@Knighta: Very nice. A thing that makes me not like Skaven so much (except for the rules) is that they lack vibrant colours most of the time, so I like the green on the armour much. may I suggest some additional highlights next time? Extra points for everyone who does horde armies, by the way.

@Catferret: I tend to prefer Ogre armies with natural/human-like skintones on the Ogres usually, so your army fits my preferences. You did the skin very well and the blue clothes make a very good contrast.

@Arhalien: Just like Harry, I think that your Woodelves look a bit unspectacular if you look at the single miniatures but the army as a whole has a very strong theme, that I can't deny. Probably, this more naturalistic look of your Wood Elves fit the new minis much better than all the red, yellow and snot green I'd slap onto them. Somehow, you scheme reminds me of LotR, which generally has much more realistic miniatures than Warhammer (this is in no way a negative comment).

@jme: Qite contrary to Arhalien's Wood Elves, you make use of the strong, bright colours I like so much. With a bit more of brush control, shading and blacklining, your HE army will look great. But please, do something about the cross-eyedness of the mage if you have the time. It sort of gives me the idea that he will miscast much more seldomly if he's keeping his eyes straight.;) Painting eyes (and especially pupils) is a pain, I know. Somehow I can't fight the idea that he's standing on a blob of whipped cream. Mmmmmh.....

@Doi: Looking good. To be honest, you inspired me to assemble and paint a unit of 12 RxB Warriors for December. I should have some Eldar Guardian Sprues lying around somewhere. Unfortunately, I couldn't find them yet so no helmet-less head for the unit's musician.:( Anyway, nothing beats Dark Elves in purple on snow bases, eh? It's as classic as can be, but there's hardly any other army looking so amazingly great in purple.

@Tarsus: Doing a dogs of war army, staying in character so neatly AND having a kick-bumbum mage miniature like that one you used...All I can say is very nice (only because I have the feeling of using "great" too often). It seems like mixed colour schemes don't have as much of an impact on WHFB armies as on 40k armies. I guess it's because of the neatly ranked-up units.

@Hespithe: Very strong theme and striking colourscheme, executed very well as always. I'd really like to see a shot of your whole army.

@Huw_Dawson: Hurhur, GW flock. I also have some of that stuff, just because some guy I painted some minis for wanted his Orcs to look exactly like the ones in the 6th edition army book. GW flock really isn't something I'd use again ever. It just feels so weird. Anyway, can't see that much of a problem with it in the pictures of your army. Maybe we're talking about different kinds of flock or GW changed it or something. Paintingwise, your army looks great (there's this word again). Red, blue, silver, gold and green bases on top - I like that stuff.;)

@Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull: Woah, that's a whole lot of miniatures there. Shame we didn't get any close-ups yet, but your army looks nice from afar too.

@Harry: As every month, I'm really looking forward to seeing your stuff, especially the Dark Elves of course and these cool harpies miniatures.;) What's keeping you back this month?

As mentioned above, I'll paint a unit of crossbow elves (12 miniatures) and some nice command for the Executioners. The crossbow elves are assembled and primed by now, tomorrow I will bitz-order a missing draich-blade for the musician of the Executioners.

Looking forward to your comments on what I painted for November and some more of your work!

Huw_Dawson
08-12-2007, 11:57
If I hadn't slightly rushed the minis this month, then I would be slightly more happy with them. The paint job isn't completely neat (even sloppy in a couple of areas) and the base rims obviously I have neglected as of late.

Anywho, on to my comments

Dino: Nice Ulric priest there. I especially like the fur coat and the really neatly done face and hands.
Knighta: Skaven! Lotsa them! The green armour is definatly going to make your army look alot more unified than most scaven armies, and with the highlighting on a couple of the stormvermin it looks like you could really pull off an inpressive paint job.
Catferret: Wow. That is easily the best ogre skin tone ever, as I have said previously. Definatly makes the entire army warmer and actually adds character, unlike the blue skinned norm.
Arhalien: Despite your orangutan ways, (;)) I am liking the new found camera skills and the entire army as a whole. The neutral colours really look effective. I competely agree with Harry, too.
jme: I happen to love the whacky school of painting. That model is not only greatly painted, it would really liven up the dark elven army. Characters should always stand out from the crowd - higher bases, or a brighter paintjob are two ways of doing that.
Doi: I just noticed that your minis are all standing on the surface of the snow. Is that something to do with the Cataheras (sp) scene from LOTR:FOTR?
Tarsus: Dogs of War!! DOGS OF WAR!! I *love* Dogs of War! :D I like the olde schoole way their painted too, really brings a nice feel to the army.
Hespithe: Gah! You and Catferret and your stupidly awesome Ogres. I can't wait until you both finish and I can compare...
Warlord: Nice to see your gobbos are still going strong. If you can manage it, I woudn't mind seeing the unit pictures for this month, too. I love those little gobbos faces :D
Sigur: Darn you Sigur. I hate the fact that you post late and prove me completely wrong about your army looking a tad dark. :p I guess it was just the lighting conditions. I like absolutely everything.

NEXT MONTH: I have ABSOLUTELY no idea.

- Huw

EDIT: Harry, I wanna see your models. @.@ Hurry up??

Harry
08-12-2007, 12:52
@Harry: As every month, I'm really looking forward to seeing your stuff, especially the Dark Elves of course and these cool harpies miniatures.;) What's keeping you back this month?

EDIT: Harry, I wanna see your models. @.@ Hurry up??

Apologies. (To everyone).
Things at work have gone from bad to worse recently.
I am having a nightmare.

I will try and post something this weekend (even if everything is not finished).

sigur
08-12-2007, 13:51
Apologies. (To everyone).
Things at work have gone from bad to worse recently.
I am having a nightmare.

I will try and post something this weekend (even if everything is not finished).

:( Well, just take your time and get this "nightmare" of yours sorted. Enjoy your weekend nonetheless.

MutantMaggot
08-12-2007, 15:05
Sorry to hear about that Harry. :(

I hope the 'nightmare' will soon become a bright sunny morning ... (metaphorically)

MM :(

(Nightmare? Don't tell me the Nights of Blood Keep are after you ... ;) )

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
08-12-2007, 20:38
Nice looking army Sigur:)

Well I started working on my unit for next month a unit from 5 squiq herds, and I will try to paint my second herd from 2 herds also.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/476WGG/PB220001.jpg

I finally could rank these guys, they are a really pain to ranks so the first think I do is paint numbers under their bases.

Greetz
G

Danny76
08-12-2007, 23:11
Right guys, i have done my points for this month, but due to not being able to get back home from a work thing till wednesday, thats when i'll have to do my post.

Its an Empire General this month. Roughly about 200 points. A little over, but near enough.
Speak to you all soon.

Dead orc
08-12-2007, 23:16
I'm going to have to use up my second Joker card, Illness threw me off track this month, that and the fact that I HATE painting cavalry....

I'm going to post updates in here 'regularly' to try to get motivation to finish the buggers...

Ad-Hoc
09-12-2007, 01:20
Sadly I must deploy my first Joker

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a350/AdHoc/compedjoker.jpg

Work has been a lot of effort and i've just not had the spark I needed ti paint. I'll try harder this month.

Doi
09-12-2007, 07:05
@Doi: Looking good. To be honest, you inspired me to assemble and paint a unit of 12 RxB Warriors for December. I should have some Eldar Guardian Sprues lying around somewhere. Unfortunately, I couldn't find them yet so no helmet-less head for the unit's musician. Anyway, nothing beats Dark Elves in purple on snow bases, eh? It's as classic as can be, but there's hardly any other army looking so amazingly great in purple.

Aye, nothing beats Dark Elves in purple on snow bases, it just looks so ... evil:evilgrin:. I may have inspired you to do 12 rxbmen for the month, but that army shot of yours has inspired me to get myself a dragon, which when painted black with a bit of purple and on a snow base looks so immensly evil. If you can't get a hold of your Eldar Guardian sprues there are a couple of other sources for unhelmeted elf heads, I've used the one from the HE spearmen box and HE bolt thrower box myself (dont play the gits myself, my brother does, talk about sibling rivalries eh?)

I just noticed that your minis are all standing on the surface of the snow. Is that something to do with the Cataheras (sp) scene from LOTR:FOTR?

Forgive my ignorance here (never seen snow before myself) but what else bar the surface of snow would you stand on? Might have to put on my copy of LOTR:FOTR later and have a look at that scene your talking about

Can someone tell me how you get quotes to say "Originally posted by..." in the quote heading, as you can see mine only say "Quote"

MutantMaggot
09-12-2007, 08:32
Doi: I believe he means they are not sinking into the snow, just standing lightly on top of it, whether because it's ice, or they're elves. ;)

Tarsus
09-12-2007, 10:11
@ Hespithe : Those Ogres are ace, i would perhaps suggest making the gut plates brass coloured to give it a more khorney feel.

@ Huw_Dawson : Really like the dwarfs but you should paint the base rims as it will really make them seem complete. And thanks for the comments :p

@ Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull : Lovely Goblins, i think the lighter colours really make them stand out as unique and your full army picture just goes to show that even though its the same points value as everyone elses you must be painting twice as many models. The squigs are looking good to, keep it up.

@ sigur : My brother plays dark elves and he absolutely loves your models, that dark pegasus rider is awesome! Also i know what you been about the mixed colour scheme i was a bit sceptical at first but once i got them all together they do look really good, plus it makes them stand out more as mercs for hire rather than just another empire army.

@ Doi : Im pretty sure the snow thing is from LOTR.FOTR where they are all trudging waist deep through the snow and legolas just runs across the top without sinking.

@ Harry : Good luck with work, hope it doesnt get you too down, cant wait to see your models they are always guarenteed to be impressive if nothing else.

Im working on my giant at the minute and i hope to be done by xmas so i can be posting right away for the january post.

Ive also painted a merc general but ive scrapped him becuase he didnt fit the theme of the army very well, plus it would have put me over almost 180 points from my target. Im hoping to replace him with a conversion based on the mounted warrior priest on a pegasus but im undecided.

Arhalien
09-12-2007, 13:43
@Harry: very sorry to hear you're having a nightmare at work; I hope that everything sorts itself out :(.

I've finished the first 3 eternal guard I need to do for this month. Overall tehy aren;t too bad, but some of the painting is nothing more than shoddy; I think I'm rushing too much.
I was going to apologise for the pics as I've lost my blue sheet (again). but this white one seems to have given better results:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/EternalGuard4-6front.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/EternalGuard4-6back.jpg
And just to prove that I haven;t retaken the models from 2 months ago:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/EternalGuard1-6command.jpg

Next up, waywatchers. After that, I may actually ask for the other 9 eternal guardsmen for christmas, and try and catch up on my backlog instead (Caradryan is currently half painted, and I have some Warp Spiders that have been sitting around for a very long time now)

Zark the Damned
10-12-2007, 11:21
Grr... stoopid camera died and we didn't have spare batteries around - I will endeavour to pick up batteries after work today and get my pics done.

theCaptainBerk
10-12-2007, 12:26
Wow I love this thread, everyone's army is looking great!

I'm on here to check how my gaming nemesis Tarsus is getting on with his Dogs of War army, I heard there may be a Giant on the way gulp (luckily I have just ordered a Dragon Mage heheheh)

This thread has inspired me to get my 2000 points of High Elves painted...so hopefully I'll have a nice looking army to batter Tarsus with :)

Well keep up the good work people! I look forward to seeing the completed projects and also joining you all for the next painting session!

armos
11-12-2007, 02:47
Well here I am. Sorry I'm so late this month guys but 'month from hell' doesn't quite cut it... I'm pretty sure Satan himself looked at this month and said "blimey! I don't know where that one came from I was just going for 'somewhat busy'" ... suffice it to say it's been a hectic one work-wise with 'updated' (i.e. totally new) design briefs being thrown at me and personal projects (i.e. looking for new jobs) taking over my life. Plus a love-life that borders on 'Spanish Soap Opera' in the scale of it's ludicrous plot twists... I've been busy

anyways here I go with the good ol' once a month 'Armos has a free minute' post...

@Dino: I think I already commented on your priest but once again I think you've done a really nice job with this guy. The group shot really shows how cohesive a force you've managed as well as how hard you've worked achieving it... you're improving every month too so I'm looking forward to what you have next to show

@Knighta: Great Stormvermin, solid paint job and I'm liking the use of colour... your use of green really shows off the skaven 'class' system from slave to Stormvermin without being unrealistic or losing cohesion so kudos for that. Plus as always hat's off to you fellows doing horde armies.

@Catferret: as always great job, very solid looking unified force you've got there. If I could offer something constructive looking at your army as a whole I would definatly persue the tattoo idea. the big blocks of colour on the Ogre models are in danger of becoming a little too unified (it hurts to write that cos I'm normally really anal about uniformity from regiment to regiment). Ogre models are so big that you can afford a little (and I mean a little) individualism between models. When I saw the GW studio's Ogres I did question the red warpaint/blood they slathered on thinking it a bit silly until I saw a regiment painted without this splash colour and the the big flat areas of neutral colour did lose something without it, the models had a tendancy to merge into one another when looked at from a distance, which is ok for rank and file but with Ogre sized models it can end up looking a little flat. Just something to think about, it's all a matter of personal preference really, the solid block look could prove really effective as the army grows further. Lovely conversion on the Gnobblar by the way

@Arhalien: Great work. Solid paint job and the colour scheme works really well. The army looks great as a whole, your use of neutral colours really brings out the silver details.. and the silver serves to 'prioritise' your models (eternal guard over glade-guard for example) without overwhealming the colour scheme or losing that camoflaged forest warriors look... this is one of the most 'realistic' looking wood elf armies I've ever seen and I can't wait to see the whole thing finshed.

@jme: lovely choice of colour on the mage... the purple and black work well against each other and contrast nicely with the white, which in itself retains that 'high elf' look. One slight thing I think has already been mentioned is the slightly cross-eyed look it has. no two ways about it eyes are difficult... one thing I do with my chaos army (and this works for mages too) is leave the eyes totally blank white to give them that sinister 'infused with power' look... the fact that it's easier to paint is pure coincidence.. honest!

@Doi: Again great job as always. Not much I can say that I haven't already said about your guys but I like the head swap on the crossbowmen champion. Looking at your army as a whole it's looking great... one slight thing is that some sort of Dark-Elf rune in white on the shields and banners would really set this army off a treat.. though I know full well how tedious and daunting a prospect that is I have a strong feeling it'd be worth it

@Tarsus: nice work on the crossbowmen and duellists... I'm normally a fan of the unified army look but your rag-tag bunch is looking really effective.. lovely looking mage too.

@Hespithe: great work again. I'd have to get a closer look at the bull's chest to suggest anything but I'm a big fan of the "cover any gaps with a shied or other random bits" school of conversion (I believe John Blanche invented it). Ps... for some reason this regiment reminds me of hulk-hogan at various stages in his career.

@Huw_Dawson: great job with the dwarfs.. colours are nice and bright and the army looks great as a whole... nicely done

@Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull: Not much to say I'm afraid as can't really see from the photos but If they're anything up to your usual standard I'm sure they'll be very impressive. the squigs are looking really nice

@Sigur: Beautiful work as ever... at a push I'd say your army is my favourite in this thread (though there are others I love). The Noble is great and I simply love the skin-tone on the harpies. Your Plog is one of my favourites too.

Once again apologies to anyone I've missed out and to those who haven't posted yet I look forward to seeing your stuff...

anyways onto my little contribution for November:

The Gerudan War Wolves

story so far:

Victor Krausser: Apostate and Bloodthirsty Imperial Noble turned Exhalted Champion of Chaos Undivided. The right-hand man to Lord Wulf Ratha and Wulf's personal 'executioner'

Bjaer of the Iron Blood: Sorcerer of Chaos Undivided. expert at reciting dispel scrolls and very occasional fireball thrower. Arguably the luckiest model in the army (one game he killed a Von-Carstein Lord in close combat!!!)

Skar War-Leader (not pictured): Wargor leading the Gerudan's beastmen allies and personal champion of the Bray-Shaman Ghazrhan the Blind

Horny Gaff and the Pretty Boys: Chaos Ogres that gave up the giant-hunting trade and were 'persuaded' to fight alongside the Gerudan.

His name is Sevarr: One time hero of the Gerudan, destroyed by Tzeentchian sorceries and transformed into a mindless Chaos Spawn

The Reckoning: chaos spawn; 'gift of the gods' is a useful magic item but it does have an annoying habit of going t*ts-up just when you least want it to.

and this month....

The War Wolves

20 (15 this month) Chaos Warriors (undivided) with hand weapons, shields and full command

Background: When the Gerudan were nearly wiped out 3 years ago only the young, swift maruaders and the hardened veterens survived... these are the veterens. They are traditionalists, who tend to balk at the young Wulf Ratha's showy ways and trophy-taking (so favoured by the younger members of the tribe hoping to emulate their lord) and consider themselves the 'heart' of the Gerudan's traditional ways.

Build/Conversion: very little apart from a banner swap and filing down the horns on the champion's head to lose that 'Darth Maul' look. one warrior was savaged by the dog and needed a little re-building with green stuff but I can't even tell which one it was myself now they're painted.

Painting: little new here, same techniques I've used througout the army though slightly heavier highlighting and shading on the armour to pick out the details.

Basing: as the rest of the army, sand painted brown, drybrushed and static grass added

Still to do: As always I plan to go back and pick out some of the detail... perhaps most notably I'd like to go back and add some shading to the horns but I quite like the pure white look at the mo so we'll have to see.

Highs: Finishing... little more satisflying then a big block of dead 'ard heavily armoured killing machines ranked up on your desk (in painting terms at least :p)

Lows: struggling through... simply finding the time and motivation to get these guys done was difficult enough (we all hit that wall) ... plus the leather details, especially the boots, were a bit of a headace as the highlights looked too obviously layered and took time to blend when I was hoping to paint quickly. with hind-sight I'd have gone for more of a scorched-brown shade but I want to keep colours consistant throughout the army and tie them into the marauders (click the link in my sig-line for pics of my marauders)

Points 15 chaos warriors with hand weapons and shields... 210pts

right .. anything I've missed?

oh yeah.. pics!

Chaos Warriors
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos036.jpg

and very hastily taken group shot....
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos037.jpg

enjoy :)

Catferret
11-12-2007, 02:59
Armos, that group looks great so far. I can't begin to imagine how cool it's gonna look when there are some more rank and file guys.

Sorry to hear you had a crappy month, hopefully that's it all out of the way now before christmas.

Dino
11-12-2007, 03:44
Ok, sence i'm fairly shure that every body has posted(still waiting for Zark, Harry, and Hastings).

@Tarsus: I really like youre army. You must be seriously painting fast to make up the point this quick. Good luck on youre Giant.

@Hespithe: Another unit of Minotaurs and another good job. But no army pic.

@Huw-Dawsen: Youre dwarfs are nicely coming along. Can't wait to see more.

@Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull: Very impresive Night goblin army. The army shot in youre log is even more impressive.

@sigur: Nice to see you were able to finish youre dark elves in time. And man what an army shot you have.

@armos: Very nice chaos warriors man. Youre army is really coming along now. Can you post a pic of all you have?

I also have this months work. First up are my swordesmen.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture284.jpg
About finished with them, just got to do the extra little details.

The halbedir detachment.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture283.jpg
Getting there.

Last is the Helstorm Rocket Battery and crew.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture282.jpg
Coming along very nicely. But a question, does any body have any good ideas on how too make the ground look scorched from a lot of rockets blasting of from that place?

Catferret
11-12-2007, 04:29
For scorched ground, paint and flock/grass/whatever as normal. When dry, black ink the areas you want burnt. When the ink dries, drybrush lightly with codex grey. If you can be bothered, add a couple of ornge and yellow spots at the edges on the burnt area to make it look like it's still burning a little.

Here is an example. Terrible pic though I'm afraid.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/catferret/Gaunt3.jpg

Doi
11-12-2007, 05:00
@Doi: Again great job as always. Not much I can say that I haven't already said about your guys but I like the head swap on the crossbowmen champion. Looking at your army as a whole it's looking great... one slight thing is that some sort of Dark-Elf rune in white on the shields and banners would really set this army off a treat.. though I know full well how tedious and daunting a prospect that is I have a strong feeling it'd be worth it

Thanks armos, from a painter of your caliber that means quite a lot. I am planning on doing some DE runes on the shields and banners but as I don't have a steady hand nor the skill to do such intricate runes I am going to try and print out some templates on my mum's craft cutter (think printer but with blades instead of ink) but to do so I need to figure out how to get it to cut out pictures first. I'll try and do them next month if I get a chance (on holidays the rest of this month and part of next), should get Knighta off my back too, everytime I mention I've painted another unit etc he always brings up that sheild/banner symbol not done point

Your army is turning out great too, particularily like Horny Gaff myself

@Arhalien: Looking good, the eternal guard models look really godd in the subdued colour scheme

@Dino: Surging ahead again I see, you've nearly finished this months and yet again I've not started

silverstu
11-12-2007, 08:20
Ok, sence i'm fairly shure that every body has posted(still waiting for Zark, Harry, and Hastings).

And me!!
Having a really tough time with work at the moment- I'll have something up this weekend -still a few bits to finish, sorry boys for being so late -but at least i'm in good company!!

75hastings69
11-12-2007, 09:29
I'll be posting my stuff as soon as I get home (Fri/Sat) as I didn't bring my camera offshore. I am quite pleased with my Empire Great Cannons for my Ostlanders so I'll be looking forward to getting some feedback from them.

@ Armos, that is shaping up to be a fantastic army, well done on another month of excellent work!

Zark the Damned
11-12-2007, 11:08
I tried replacing the batteries, but it turned out the camera actually is broken and wont work...

I will be unable to post pics till I can get it fixed or find a replacement, but really don't want to Joker for Nov cause I have actually done the painting... :(

I will have to hassle the local club members and find out if one of them can help

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
11-12-2007, 15:22
@ armos, good looking army keep it up:). I know I need to work on my photograph skills from a entire army.

@ dino: thanks, your army looks also good, but I would add more rockets to the hellstorm thingy.

Greetz
G

Hespithe
11-12-2007, 16:39
Dang, Sigur, you have me wanting to start a Dark Elf army... I've always liked the 'beast' approach with the Druchi. Also, that group shot is now in my post.

There are some truly beautiful armies in this thread. I'm hoping that none of them are bound for E-bay.

Animerik
11-12-2007, 19:26
Units:N.Gobbos and a N.Gobba shaman

Backround/Theme:Orcs and gobbos in Lustria

Build/Canversion:N.Gobbos plus some bits and greenstuff, also some minis like the two gobbos throwing out a fanatic. Also some conversions Ill show later when I get better pics. Some jungel swarm lizards to spice it up.

Painting:Batch painted all of them well thats explains the bad quality.. Ill tuch them up later

Basing:The usal stuff, cork, slate and sand

Still to do:Fixing the freehand and finish the painting...

Ups:Well they fun to make and convert still the painting was a bit boring

Downs:painting as already said

Points: 29 N.gobbs + full command + netters, 1 N.gobb shaman lv.2 with Sneaky staff of stealing =142+ 135 = 277pts this month. Well the total points Im unsure about..

well now onto the horrible bad pics, sorry for that but Im really tired after the exams and stuff so these will do.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/animerik/blog/d11.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/animerik/blog/d21.jpg

Next months? More gobbos maybe, my 2 block of 20 N.gobbs with bows and fantatics to go
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/animerik/blog/d31.jpg

nice work everyone keep it up Ill post a better comment on all the stuff youve done

armos
11-12-2007, 22:50
really like the mini bolt-thrower idea Animerik: it's that kind of originality that'll really make your army stand out :)

Thanks for the feedback on the Warriors everyone...

here's a little (very poorly taken) WIP on this month's contribution

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos041.jpg

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
13-12-2007, 14:03
Nice looking stuff animerik, I love the mini bolt throwers.

Armos that seems like a ferious warband:)

Greetz
G

Arhalien
13-12-2007, 14:08
Rightl, I’ve finished the first waywatcher for this month (bad pics as ever)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/Waywatcher4front.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/Waywatcher4back.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

sigur
13-12-2007, 17:03
@armos: Thank you.;) Your army looks very nice too. My favorites are the newly-painted warriors (I like the colour scheme much; it's quite bright for chaos warriors. Very clan and neat paintjob), the chaos spawn (this stoic look totally got me) and the mage of course.

I'm liking your WIP stuff too; looking forward to seeing some close-ups of the warpaint on the Gors.

@Dino: Ah, a closer shot of that rokkit artillery thing o'yours. I'd suggest using ....black colour (catferret's suggestion is pretty sound) to make the ground look scourged.

@Hespithe: Thanks, I guess you're not alone considering there's a new army book coming up in a few months.

I'm proceeding so-so for this month. The 12 Crossbow Warriors are getting done steadily but not really that fast and the Executioners command I haven't started with because I need one more bit. Apart from that, I got a painting comission to paint 4 Warmaster armies so I'm trying to get as much druchii stuff done as possible until the first load of WM stuff arrives.:p

75hastings69
15-12-2007, 11:38
Right, I got stuck offshore due to bad weather, but should get home late tonight, expect pics in the next day or two, sorry for the delay.

MutantMaggot
15-12-2007, 11:42
These are amazing models here ... a fantastic thread Harry, with amazing results. You deserve all the praise you get, and far more. :) Getting people motivated is often hard, but you have managed it magnificently.

BTW, could I join? I have been painting at a similar rate to this thread, and now have 1300pts of Empire, and though I may have camera difficulties, I'd love to join in.

Thanks,
MM :)

ALL, repeat ALL the above still applies ... ;)

Arhalien
15-12-2007, 17:13
In a rather surprising burst of speed I've finished another 2 waywatchers, and have taken photos of them along with the one pictured earlier.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/Waywatchers4-6front.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/Waywatchers4-6back.jpg
The rest of this month's stuff (9 eternal guard) should be coming for christmas, which leaves me with a slight dilemna; will i be able to finish those 9 models in about a week and a half, in which time I also have to do the great majority of my work? As a contingency plan, I'm going to buy a wardancer noble the next time I'm in GW to paint before Christmas as a just in case; hopefully it won;t be needed.

sigur
15-12-2007, 17:27
Stop dashing ahead already, Arhalien!:p

Nice-looking miniatures you got there. It seems like your painting has improved. Nice work.;)

Dino
15-12-2007, 21:40
I have an update everybody.

First up is my Helstorm Rocket battery.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture293.jpg

And next are my Swordesmen. The 10 for TOFP.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture294.jpg
And the entire unit.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture295.jpg

Will hopefully have the Halbediers finished soon. But now I have to work on finishing 100 drawings before Febuary.

Dino
15-12-2007, 21:45
And as sigur requested the different angles of the Helstorm.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture292.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture291.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture290.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture289.jpg

@Animerik: I thought you were gonna drop out. Well glad to see you still at this, and what very nice work you've done. Nice idea for archers but to be honest I think they'd make better bolt throwers.

@armos: Now those I'd like to see done. Good luck.

Arhalien
15-12-2007, 22:11
Will hopefully have the Halbediers finished soon. But now I have to work on finishing 100 drawings before Febuary.

Wonderful modern invention called the printing press; run off 100 copies in no time.... or do they have to be different? :p
I like the conversion on the helstorm btw :)

@Sigur; Just because you're too slow.... :p

Catferret
16-12-2007, 00:21
Arhalien: Elves are looking pretty good now.

Dino: Show everybody the freehand wolf on the banner. ;)

Dino
16-12-2007, 16:08
Ask and you shall recieve. As Catferret ask for.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture.jpg

MutantMaggot
16-12-2007, 16:36
Thanks for telling him to show us that Catferret, that is indeed an AMAZING banner! :)

And freehand. That's ridiculously good. :)

MM

Jonahmaul
16-12-2007, 18:40
Hello all! Will comment on everybodies stuff at some point soon though I must say Dino you scare me with how ahead of the game you already are!! Still not quite finished my stuff & it's getting quite late in the month now so what I may do is double up my points for December & post 400 points instead as long as nobody minds? Seems quite a few people haven't been able to post yet this month so not sure if this is something others would want to do? (Is strange how we all seem to be stumbing at the same hurdle, maybe its the weather!)

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
16-12-2007, 19:55
Awesome looking stuff dino keep it up:)

Greetz
G

Harry
18-12-2007, 19:12
OK I'm BACK! :D

Like a pheonix rising from the ashes I emerge from the truck load of ***** which has been dumped on me from a great hieght.

I can't go in to details for legal reasons which will give you a hint as to the cr@p which has come my way. However, let me just say if you were to take whatever you imagine and times it by a multiple of your choice you would only just begin to understand the proportions of the ***** storm which has been visited upon me/my place of employment.

Please accept my apologies for deserting you all .... However.... I return to you now, at the turning of the tide ....
'Tis I, Harry the white. Drinker, singer, teller of tales and bringer of mirth. :D

Before I start to post some of my stuff from last month I shall attempt to respond to some of the last several pages of this thread....

@Dino.
Before we get too chirpy racing ahead each month lets not forget you started this whole thing with a fair bit of paint on part of this army. :D

@Tarsus
I have not been "slipping these last few months" Just last month and this month. :D
and fantastic spot on the halberdier looking at the camera.

@Saulot
I will try to correct your entry.

@Kraxnar
I will put you down for a joker.

@MutantMaggot
I guess I don't mind folks joining in posting stuff on the thread. Although I am not sure it would be fair to add you to the list for consideration in the awards alongside folks who have been in it all the way along.
I guess you would need to post up 1,200 points at the end of this month. then keep up with us after that.

@Doi
Great effort this month. 20 guys to that standard is good going. Loving the look of your army all together. Really tight scheme. The dark colours look great agaist the plain white bases. Proof, if proof were needed that a simple scheme done well looks great on mass.

Well thats Page 2 ... Phew.

Harry
18-12-2007, 19:33
@Tarsus
Great post. most entertaing read.Love that old dwarf wizard. Can we look forward to any more vintage mini's in your army?

@Hespithe
Love the blood bulls. They worked out really well and the spiders are a hoot. You can't beat some cheap plastic toys thrown in to an army thats what I always say. You should see my Lizardmen. :D

@Huw Dawson
Painting on the Dwarfs is great. However, I sence your 'frustrated' with your basing. If you would like to chat about some simple but effective alternatives feel free tp drop me a PM and we can have a chat about it there.

@Warlord G' G'
Can't believe how many minis you have painted. :eek: Well done mate.

@Sigur
Great effort this month. Wonderfulm painting. I am reluctant to post my efforts having gone head to head with you.
i think your marbelling on the gree worked out wonderfully well and the basing experiments on the harpies have brought real movement to this unit. The painting of the flesh tones on these 'ladies' is wonderful and ... no red! :D

Page 3 Done ... 2 more to go.

MutantMaggot
18-12-2007, 19:36
Thanks Harry -- mind you, my joining still requires a camera ...

Thanks. (If I do acquire a reasonable camera :( ) Thoiugh I see what you mean about not being here all along -- possibly for that very reason I may not join ... (and the camera :D )

Sorry to hear about your difficulties at work/home ... if you want any moral support or advice, just ask. :)

MM

Harry
18-12-2007, 19:51
@Dead Orc
I'll put you down for a joker. Thanks for checking in, hope you feel better and better luck next month. (This month now).

@Ad hoc
Sorry works been getting on top of you too. Hope you find your spark again soon. Its amazing how work can suck the energy and enthusiasm, even for the stuff you enjoy the most, right out of you. I have really struggled to find the motivation myself recently.

@Tarsus.
Looking forward to seeing that giant.

@Arhalien.
What a great looking unit.
Thanks for the kind thoughts.

@armos.
Wonderful metalics. Remarkably crisp painting. Great looking unit. (Except for the girls boots. :D)

Harry
18-12-2007, 20:08
@Animerik
Love all the little toches, the unit fillers and conversions. its what makes your stuff so fun. The scratch built bolt throwers are what your stuff is all about with knobs on and the reason I am so glad you have come along for the ride.

@Arhalien.
Waywatchers look great and I can't believe the turn around now you are pushing the pace. Git :D

@Dino
Love the rocket launcher. The scorchered earth worked out well and that really is some great freehand on the banner. Yet again you continue to push the pace and indeed the standard an motivate us all. Cheers.

@Jonahmaul.
I have no problem with you double posting but I am going to try and get last months stuff posted in this thread and then try and get back on track and before the end of this month ready for the new thread.

@Mutantmaggot.
If you get a camera sorted post your stuff.
No problems at home (as far as I know :D) just work.

Just going to muck about a bit on photobucket and then I will get some pics up.

Harry
18-12-2007, 20:25
DAEMONIC LEGION (KHORNE)

I have done a ‘hastings’ this month and started painting a greater deamon to spread the painting of one mini over three months. I just thought it would give me a bit of breathing space over the holiday period.

UNIT: Bloodthirster.

BACKGROUND/THEME: Vanilla Deamonic Legion of Khorne.

BUILD/CONVERSION: This is a very early citadel Balrog from the 1980’s

PAINTING: Just like everything else in this army …. He was painted blood red all over then given an ink wash (or two) with a mix of red and purple ink. I have then painted back up several layers of highlights. Claws, horns and fur painted black. Ready fro dry brushing.

BASING: Not really got into this yet but I am taking the themed bases even further with this model. He will be charging along a river of lava when it gets done.

HIGHS AND LOWS: Really looking forward to painting this guy and adding the center piece to the army. I think he fits in great with the classic stuff. High : Getting a break from trying to finish 5 units each month. Lows : Still not getting my painting done in time despite this!

STILL TO DO: Lots

POINTS: First 200 points of 600 points for a Greater Deamon.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2379.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2381.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2385.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2390.jpg

Harry
18-12-2007, 20:30
DARK ELVES: I have finally settled on a background for this army so there is a bit more background stuff at the start.

UNIT(S) : Dark Elf Nobel riding Dark Pegasus and Harpies of Karond Kar.

BACKGROUND/THEME: The army of Karond Kar.

In the tongue of men the city of Karond Kar is called the city of Despair. It is to this terrible place that thousands of slaves are bought. Men from the old world, Elves from Ulthuan, and more from all across the world all destined to serve the Witch king. The wailing spirits of dead slaves are said to haunt the whole city. The Dark Elves love to hear this sound of dread and despair. It fills their dreams with delicious images of suffering and pain.

Karond Kar is the bastion of our Beastmasters. Here are the stables where the beasts that serve our great cause are reared and trained, The folk of Karond Kar also tame the ferocious cold ones. Hatch and hand rear the beasts and train them to accept riders.
When a child shows talent for taming animals he is sent to the city of Karond Kar to study under the masters who dwell there Beastmasters are also in charge of the slaves.

If you ever visit the distant city of Karond Kar, you will witness a spectacle that will fill you with elation and fear in equal measure. Upon the thermals of the sacrificial pyres soar the Harpies - winged beasts with a savage primeval beauty. Some claim they are the souls of slain witch elves given form. Others, that they are manifestations of Khaine in his aspect of the predator. They are creatures of khaine, that is for sure, for they delight in the tormenting of their victims and feast upon raw flesh. The Harpy is a sign of good fortune and it is claimed that if they were ever to dessert the city, it would fall to the enemy within ninety days.

The army will be made entirely from vintage Marauder miniatures.

BUILD/CONVERSION: Straight out of the box vintage Marauder Harpies and a Nobel built using a vintage Marauder Dark Elf cavalry body, 5TH Ed Morathi legs riding an old Marauder Empire Pegasus.

PAINTING: Still having problems settling on a colour scheme for the elves but went with the same skin tones and hair colouring for the Harpies and Pegasus to tie everything together.

BASING: More rocks. I based the Pegasus on a similar piece of rock to the Hydra and last months Manticor. The harpies were based on individual rocks which I managed to place on the bases in such a way that they rank up. Around the edge is the same as the other bases to tie it in with the rest of the army (Gritty sand, scorched brown highlighted with bestial brown and bleached bone mixes. I have left these looking more barron as I imagine the far north of Naggaroth to be).

STILL TO DO: I have yet to settle on colours for the clothing of this army.

HIGHS AND LOWS: I have been struggling with the look of this army but having stuck with it the units I have done have started to come together and suggest a theme and background as a result I have become more enthusiastic about this army and loved doing this months unit as I can imagine this army really coming together as a monster heavy Karond Kar force. I was happy with my conversion on the nobel but the real high was getting the skirmishing rocks to rank up.

Sorry about the poor quality photos I had to take these in poor lighting conditions. I will try to to get some better ones so you can check out my plog if you would like a better look.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2411.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2397.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2410.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2423.jpg

Harry
18-12-2007, 21:02
VAMPIRE COUNTS:

UNIT: 7 Fell Bats

BACKGROUND/THEME: No theme selected. Vanilla Undead (at this point).

BUILD/CONVERSION: Straight out of the box. Seven Fell Bats. The interesting bit are my bases made to match the unit fillers made in earlier months.

PAINTING: Simple paint job. Undercoated black, drybrushed wings with increasing amounts of codex then fortress grey, the bodies with scorched brown, a few details and job done.

BASING: Gritty sand, bestial brown highlighted with snakebite leather and bleached bone mixes with static grass applied to finish them off. Went to town on the vegitation again.
STILL TO DO: Not much. These are nearly done. Just a few finishing touches to the bases.

HIGHS AND LOWS: Really quick to paint. The bases, yet again make a very simply painted unit look far more interesting than the straight out of the box unit.

The bases:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2428.jpg

The bats:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2429.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2432.jpg

The army so far :

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2449.jpg

Catferret
18-12-2007, 21:14
Nice stuff Harry. I hereby dub the Bloodthirster "Commander Snortypants". The undead are still standing out above the other armies. The bases just seem to draw the eye a lot more. Not saying the rest is bad, far from it. It's just the bases and unit fillers look great.

Harry
18-12-2007, 21:30
I have to agree with you. If I was not doing this I would drop all my other projects and concentrate on the Vampire counts. Especially with the book just around the corner. I think I would have finished this army by now. Every month they are the ones I look forward to painting the most.

armos
19-12-2007, 00:25
Great work Harry, I have to agree the VC army is my fave of your stuff. I like how the bases compliment the greys you've used.. it's alomst as though your army was shrouded by fog... fantastic stuff. The fell bats look good but again it's the bases that really stand out here... nicely done!

I like the Daemon army too... every time you post I look forward to see an old model I haven't seen in years and that Balrogis a blast from the past I can tell you!

Nice looking harpies too and the noble is well executed. I would suggest maybe picking the edges of the gold details (especially the shield) out in maybe burnished gold (or if you have it the really old shining gold colour) .. it would just give it that polished look IMHO.

look forward to seing more

Dino
19-12-2007, 04:43
Nice to have you back Harry. The Balrog Bloodthirster is very nice...so far. The Dark elves look very nice as well. The fell bats however look fantastic. Now I sit back and wait for the dwarfs and high elves. Good luck.

Oh and just to be clear not all of the stuff i've painted for TOFP had a lot of paint already on them. About 1/4 were basecoated and the rest were primed black. All will become clear at the end of December.:D

@Arhalien: I have to draw all by hand in pencil.

silverstu
19-12-2007, 08:00
Hi Harry, sorry to hear you've had such a torrid time of it mate- extra kudos for posting this month! The balrog is looking great- the highlights on the skin has worked really well and your idea for the base sounds very cinematic. The dark elves are coming along nicely- the noble on pegasus is a nice characterful conversion - fits the vintage feel nicely. The harpies, as i mentioned before, bear a striking resemblance to the "ladies" in my local hanging about cackling in a corner- currently wearing santa hats and brandishing mistletoe. Very scary- i'm drinking elsewhere at the moment..
The undead, as ever, shine- wonderful bases the whole army is fantastic- i only hope that when i get round to doing my vc they are half as good as yours.

Still have a few bits to do to my dwarfs- I'm working an awfull lot at the moment- lots of lates and weekends- will try and get something up soon- even it's just based with three colours

sigur
19-12-2007, 13:53
Nice to see you back in action, Harry. I hope you'll excuse if I don't dare to imagine the pooload you went through though.;)

Thanks for taking the time and commenting on everyone's work. And I promise that there will be more red on the December miniatures again.:p

This Balrog of yours is a very cool miniature; when I saw it in the first pictures, I didn't think it would be so big, considering it's such an old one. And it fits very well with the rest of your army.

I have to admit that your Harpies have a cooler colourscheme than mine. Darn, I should have thought of white hair! The bases are nice as always. There is a wee bit too much rockery going on on your bases for my likings but it helps to keep a certain theme and ties the army together better. It's nice to see how you made the Harpies rank up. Good use of Morathi's legs; Elves always should have those big throne things on all monsters they ride.

The undead are amazing as always. Wonderful bases featuring impressive marble patterns (pure mockery towards me, I call that!:p ) and very good general impression of the army. Thumbs up!

Jonahmaul
19-12-2007, 20:05
Right, just popping in quickly to say hello, know i still haven't commented on people's stuff but I will (if people take the time to paint their models & show them to us I feel it is the least I can do to make a personal comment on each entry). Just to say I've got the paintbrush out again so hopefully going to have stuff painted to post on the weekend. Know it's very late but better late than never. I started a new job this month so still trying to settle into a routine.

I do have to comment on Harry's undead though - awesome looking bats dude, love the bases (hurrah for the quests!) & the whole army together looks amazing (and as i've said before i don't really like the current undead range!). Sorry to hear you've been having a **** time of it.

See you again soon folks!

Huw_Dawson
20-12-2007, 14:42
@Huw Dawson
Painting on the Dwarfs is great. However, I sence your 'frustrated' with your basing. If you would like to chat about some simple but effective alternatives feel free tp drop me a PM and we can have a chat about it there.

Actually I'm okay with the basing. I've been jibing at people who call GW flock horrible mostly. Its certainly better than empty bases. I'm not quite sure what it is though... it might be green cork flakes...

For my next army though (Which will be -gasp- a chariot themed Orc army :D) I will be asking around for basing ideas. I'll drop you a PM then, Harry.

GW flock has two major disadvantages, unfortunately:
One, it looks "meh" up close.
Two, it is a bit too green.

Its cheap, though. I've based all my army off one pot so far. I'll probably use it to compliment sand in my next army.
- Huw

armos
21-12-2007, 02:35
@Arhalien.. nice looking elves, imagine they'll fit in very nicely with your other models

@Dino.. can imagine we'll be seeing quite a few people copying your idea for the rocket battery.. nicely done. the freehand on the banner is also impressive. I've been saying for a while now you're improving every month... feel free to continue to prove me right ;)

slightly dark (my anglepoise died this evening) shots of three finished gors. The others just need some detailing and I'm not going to go too nuts on the ungors so they shouldn't take too long

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos008-1.jpg

Catferret
21-12-2007, 02:49
Armos, those look fantastic as ever. The skin looks really nice.

I love the facepaint. Very similar to the style of my Chaos Bloodbowl Team I did a couple of years back.

sigur
22-12-2007, 00:56
Lovely work, armos. Not only the skin looks great, it's all that looks impressive. The skull, the horns, the metallics. In the end, you are going to have an army to be proud of, armos.:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Dark%20Elves/rxbunit1.jpg

Here's the bit I did for december so far. As I mentioned before, there were quite some exams to do and such. Here are the RxB elves in their WIP state. The shields are done too so I expect those guys to be done in time. In case of the Executioners command, things look worse though, considering the missing bitz haven't arrived yet and I have some interesting commission work to do (see my log for details and pictures.;))

Jonahmaul
22-12-2007, 07:14
Right, I'm going to do a Harry & go through everything to coment on people's work, does mean i'll be making several comments to some people too. I will do the same as Harry & comment a page at a time too so sorry for the multiple posts. I know it's getting very late in the month but I'm going to get my stuff finished & posted this weekend so I can buy Dember's effort & paint it.

Dino - very cool warrior priest, army is coming together nicely.

Knighta - congratulations again on getting your work in on time, it's really hard to do with a horde army but you've managed it every month & make me feel ashamed as I only had 8 models to do for this month! Like the green armour, makes them stand out well as an elite unit

Catferret - awesome looking Ogre's. Very smooth skin tones & army is coming together nicely. You just need to finished the movement trays :p

Arhalien - WE looking very good even if pictures slightly blurry. I really like the dark & brooding side of WE & you've brought it out really well.

jme - nice looking mage, another theme that i really like & nice to see some new mini's making their way into TOFP

Jonahmaul
22-12-2007, 07:18
Dino - how on top of stuff you are scares me. I've not even finished November's & your probably doing January's already!

Doi - very nice looking rcb warriors. The army is very nice together & the bases look very good though you need to finished movement trays too :p I've got my AoW DE on it's way, I can't wait till it comes!

Catferret - love the gnobbla, what's the gun from? It looks like a pulse rifle but not at the end, have you converted this?

Jonahmaul
22-12-2007, 07:45
Tarsus - nice lookg DoW's, really liking the wizard

Hespithe - Really like the Ogre's, nice deep red skin tone & like the theme on the army

Huw_Dawson - nice looking Dwarfs, very neat & the army looks excellent goether but you another one who needs to do the movement trays! :p (by the way - for everyone who's movement trays i've commented on, I haven't actually done any for my army :D )

Ghazak - like the army shot, think i'm going to have to start taking photos from that angle soon! shame we can't see stuff properly but think you've posted later on so you will hear from me again!

Sigur - really nice DE, I particularly like the Pegasus itself & those Harpies are just brilliant, really smooth skin tones & the wings really tie them in well to the rest of the army

Jonahmaul
22-12-2007, 07:51
Ghazak - like the squigs, nice big units of them is what it's all about, think i'm going to go for 12-15 squigs in mine. Like the different colours although I think I will probably be too lazy to do mine like that whe i get round to it!

Arhalien - the eternal guard look very nice & the pctures are much better, i feel like we're getting a better idea of your obvious skill so stick with ths picture taking technique!

Armos - meh, i just don't like you! no, its jsut jealousy! absolutely gorgeous army, everything is just so smooth & blended together so well on those warriors its unbelievale. And the fact that you manage to get your 200 points out each month at that standard is staggering

Dino - I hadn't posted, you forgot about me :( Again, you scare me with how ahead of the game you are! More nice looking Empire though, the army together is looking very good

Jonahmaul
22-12-2007, 07:54
Animerik - nice looking gobbos, really like the lizards skulking around in there too. Also loving the idea for your gobbos with bows

Arhalien - lovely looking Waywatcher but how do you go from taking a really good picture to a really crap one?!? Sort it out man!! See, like the second post on this page, very nice picture for some awesome waywatchers!

Dino - just how ahead are you exactly?!?!

Catferret
22-12-2007, 07:58
Catferret - love the gnobbla, what's the gun from? It looks like a pulse rifle but not at the end, have you converted this?

Empire handgun from the plastic kit. Not that exciting really.

Jonahmaul
22-12-2007, 08:06
Phew, last page!

Harry Khorne - good idea to spread the painting over a few months & i really like that mini, its very cool, actually looks like its trying to get some skulls for the throne rather than the static looking effort we have now!

Harry DE - really like these old-school DE, its nice to see stuff that a lot of us aren't so familiar with & they're painted to a very high standard. As with sigur's earlier - very nice skin tones. I do think the stones the Harpy's are on may be a little too large for the models though

Harry VC - already commented but still feel I should tell you how much I like these. Your VC army is excellent & the unti fillers really make the army look good as oppose to making you look like a cheapskate!

Armos - those bestmen are gorgeous, again the skin tones are amazing and I can't wait to see the army finished

Sigur - awesome looking DE again, looking forward to seeing this months entry completely finished

And i'm done - phew!! Well done everybody for getting this month's entries in. I will try & get my backside into gear & get my stuff posted this weekend then try & catch up with December's asap to get it posted on time

Arhalien
22-12-2007, 11:15
Welcome back Harry; very glad to hear that the '*****' has been sorted out; this place isn;t the same without you ;)

@Arhalien.
Waywatchers look great and I can't believe the turn around now you are pushing the pace. Git :D

Hehe, famous last words oh great eater of pie; I've now worked out that the chances of me getting the last 9 eternal guard done in the time after christmas is effectively nil; looks like I'll have to bail out slightly with a wardancer noble which I should hopefully be buying today.

Right, comments then:
@Harry Demons: Nice looking work so far; the red is good and vibrant; looking forward to seeing the rest of that painted up.
@Harry VC: that is a very impressive looking army. Are you likely to pick up any of the new Skellies or Vampires?
@Harry DE: As already mentioned, those Harpies are incredibly ugly (in a good way ;)

@Sigur: Good looking work, as ever ;)

@Armos: I am constantly impressed by your work Armos; those beasts are stunning.

Arhalien
22-12-2007, 17:01
DOUBLE POST!!!!!!111
Ahem
Just posting to inform you of a change of plan; I haven;pt bought a wardancer noble as I've got enough to paint anyway atm and if I don;t get the eternal guard finished it isn;t too bad.

I'd also like to report the result of a battle today:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/BrokenGladeGuard.jpg
Word of advice; if you drop a glade guard on the floor, check where it is before moving your feet ;)

Zark the Damned
23-12-2007, 14:37
Ah well, guess pictures just aren't happening this month... sorry for the delay, but I guess I'd better use one of my Jokers...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/25/Joker-san!ooo!o.o.jpg/230px-Joker-san!ooo!o.o.jpg

Jonahmaul
23-12-2007, 20:31
Think i'm going to have to joker for last month too. I've got a bit more done but not going to do much more if any tonight then in work tomorrow & going round to mum's for couple of days over christmas so not going to have time to finished them & get decembers done to double post. Was thinking of doing just one model such as skarsnik (ok that's two) or my other giant for december but I want to put a lot of effort into them so not going to try rushing.

Dino
24-12-2007, 03:03
Ok almost time for Christmas and have a lot of time on my hands. So over the past week I've been working on more Empire stuff. One such thing I've been working on is the 5 man halbedier detachment. Here they are in all their splender.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture301.jpg

Now that they are finished I can work on other Empire stuff I've been putting of for the last 6 mobths ever sence TOFP started.

So I'm off to do more on Empire stuff for the next 6 months of TOFP like scratch build a steam tank.

Merry Christmas everybody and a happy New Year.

sigur
24-12-2007, 15:09
Nothing new on my front. Thanks to everyone commenting the WIP rxb-elves, by the way. Merry christmas to you and your loved ones to everyone participating in the TOFP.;)

Harry
24-12-2007, 16:33
Thank you all for your company and you support.

Happy Christmas to you all.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2475.jpg

UNIT: 20 Dwarf Rangers.

BACKGROUND/THEME: The saga of Julenissen Frost. (Yule to his friends. AKA Grandfather Frost). He is Dwarf Thane and whilst not the Lord of his stronghold he had the honour of bearing the holds standard. However, one winter on the night before the great feast, his hold was attacked by a band of marauding orks and the whilst the Dwarfs swiftly took up arms Julenissen lost the holds ancient runic standard. In the same dreadful night he also lost most of his kin. In his shame and grief he was going to shave his head and take the slayer oath but the last surviving member of his family, his granddaughter, persuaded him not to do this and instead to avenge their loved ones and regain his honour by finding, and slaying the orcs to recover the holds standard. So it was that he, together with a small band of loyal warriors, became Grandfather Frosts rangers. (One of the most well known bands of rangers ever formed). He is always accompanied by his granddaughter ‘Snegi rocka’. (The regiments leader and champion). They continually search the Worlds Edge mountains always appearing from the wilderness the night before battle to join any Dwarf army facing green skins in the hope of recovering the lost standard. Whist they have never found the band of Orcs or the standard which they seek they have slain so many of their foul kin in the search that they now have earned place of honour in any Dwarf hold. They return home only once a year when they appear on the eve of the great winter feast with sacks of gifts, collected on their travels, which they give to the Dwarf children.

There is a well known Dwarf Poem written about Grandfather Frosts appearances :

He was dressed all in fur from his head to his foot,_And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;_A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,_And he looked like a pedlar just opening his sack. _His eyes how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!_His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry;_His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,_And the beard on his chin was as white as the snow._The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth, _And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath._He had a broad face, and a little round belly_That shook when he laughed like a bowl full of jelly._He was chubby and plump,--a right jolly old Dwarf--_And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself.

BUILD/CONVERSION: These are the original plastic Dwarfs from the fantasy armies box set.

PAINTING: I have tried to paint them to match the first plastics however I have used a more limited and less colourful palette on the hood to make them look more like Rangers.

BASING; Gritty sand, painted bestial brown, highlighted with Snakebite leather and bleached bone mixes with static grass added after.

STILL TO DO: Shields, snow on bases, a bit of roseyness to the standard bearers cheeks all sorts of touching up.

HIGHS AND LOWS: No Lows (except not finishing them last month). Highs : Just enjoyed painting up such old, characterful mini’s.

POINTS: 20 Dwarf Rangers. (Not done the maths yet but its lots).

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2482.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2487.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2491.jpg

Arhalien
24-12-2007, 17:03
Very nice Harry; the green collars look very good :)

Paragon Belial
24-12-2007, 19:08
Those dwarfs are *******' sweet. I want some!

Arhalien
29-12-2007, 11:31
HMm, no idea what I was worried about now; I've finished the lot! All 9 eternal guard done in plenty of time. The quality may have dropped (I was forced to batch paint in groups of three) but they're good enough, and they're done.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/EternalGuard10-18front.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/Eternalguard10-18back.jpg
And the unit as a whole with the lord (the tray will be painted eventually)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/EternalGuardfinished.jpg

Oh, and army shots are starting to get even more difficult now; I have a small tripod but my desk is too shallow so I can't use it :(

How's everyone else doing out of interest?

Harry
29-12-2007, 12:10
Having only just posted LAST months painting and then Christmas.....
....I am starting this months painting a little late. :D

In fact I started Decembers painting on the 27th. :D

Expect a few characters and small expensive units from me for Decembers painting.

Oh, and don't expect the new thread for January to appear on the last day of the month /1st of next month as usual ..... what with New Year and everything. I will try and get it done on the 2nd. (Or maybe the 3rd depending on how much I drink! :D)

Arhalien
29-12-2007, 16:48
Surely the alcohol won;t be that much of a problem Harry; won't all the pie you'll eat soak it up? :p

Catferret
29-12-2007, 19:06
Nice work there Arhalien. Look good despite your misgivings.

I'm not far off finishing my December offering. I was ahead of target at the start of the month but then got sidetracked by other projects. And booze. I have 100pts totally done and another 100pts 3 colours and based with a little highlighting. If I can't completely finish them, I can still post them because they meet minimum requirements even if I'm not that happy with them. I'm not gonna joker damn it! :D

On a different note, I hope everybody had a good christmas.

armos
30-12-2007, 00:46
@ Dino: nice looking halbediers, nice mix of the old and the new there.

@ Harry: really loving the old-fashioned dwarf look (Dwarfs with capes are cool) and the Christmas Dwarf is a neat little treat, glad you managed to get some stuff done after what I imagine must've been a hellish month (trust me I know the feeling recently)

@Arhalien: lovely work as ever, nice to see your eternal guard ranked up. As I and a lot of people have said your army really works en-mass and this regiment proves that more then any other

On a personal note I'm afraid I may have to go with Harry in regard to what I'm now thinking of as 'Tale of Fantasy Drinkers' :p After last month's hellish workload this month has been a little better work-wise, but alongside the obligatory Christmas alcohol intake coupled with a social/love-life that reads like Gormenghast without the somewhat ill-informed critique on Gothic architecture, I may have to put off my submission for a few days... ;)

jme
30-12-2007, 03:04
Hope everyone is having a good Xmas and hope Santa brought everyonelots of prezzies!
Thought Ill pop along and give some comments on everyones work I haven't commented on yet.
@Doi. Excellent looking army, love the snow bases. Dark elves and snow work so well! As for your question about my mage it a light trick from the camera.
@Tarsus. Very funny post! Good looking army has a very rag tag feel to it, perfect for DOW.
@Hespithe. Love the idea behind your army and they are looking cool. Some tattoos on the ogres would look cool tho.
@Huw_Dawson. Very cool looking force. Love the musician, the drum is almost as big as him!
@Sigur. Awesome looking army, again the bases really set them off.
@Armos. Amazing looking. Very brutal and mean looking, as Chaos should!
@Animerik. Great looking, love the robes and bolt throwers look very cool.
@Harry. Loving your stuff, undead being a fav (along with everyone else!). Was to sure about the dark elves at first, as Im not a huge fan of the old models. But they are growing on me fast. Harpies look great with your bases.

Phew, done! If I missed anyone please let me know.
Anyway, Ive got my stuff done for this month and quite a lot more for other armies (got to love hoildays!). Started another army to oppose my Sundering Dark Elves, here is a sneek peak:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m304/orgegut/sea2014.jpg

If you want to see more head over to my project log in my sig.
Hope everyone has a great new year!

Harry
30-12-2007, 06:24
Surely the alcohol won;t be that much of a problem Harry; won't all the pie you'll eat soak it up?
There may be some pie related activity involved in the preceedings.

The Eternal Guard are looking great buddy.

@ Harry: really loving the old-fashioned dwarf look (Dwarfs with capes are cool) and the Christmas Dwarf is a neat little treat, glad you managed to get some stuff done after what I imagine must've been a hellish month (trust me I know the feeling recently)Cheers. Getting some stuff painted was the thing that kept me sane.
Sorry if your life has been a bit 'chaotic'. Your painting of chaos remains an inspiration.

Hope everyone is having a good Xmas and hope Santa brought everyonelots of prezzies!
@Harry. Loving your stuff, undead being a fav (along with everyone else!). Was to sure about the dark elves at first, as Im not a huge fan of the old models. But they are growing on me fast. Harpies look great with your bases.
Check out my plog for what I got for christmas. :D

Undead are my favorite too. I would love to drop all other projects and concentrate on these but it will be nice to get a number of armies painted.
I was not a huge fan of the Dark elves either although I love the minis and have been struggelling to find the enthusiasm for them. hpowever having stuck with them and settled on a background I am enjoying them much more.

I have taken on a Dwarf Lord, a Dark Elf Assassin, 5 wraiths, and 10 Swordmasters in addition to the already started Bloodthirster for the Deamons for this months painting. Amazingly I am on target for being able to post most of my armies at (or near) the start of the month even though I only started a couple of days ago. What's not to like about holidays?

Hope everyone is enjoying there hols to.

Happy new year to you all.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2605.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2610.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_2611.jpg

Swordmasters still in 'the dip'.

Arhalien
30-12-2007, 09:15
5 wraiths? Is that even legal under the current rules? :p

@JME: Nice looking spearelf; the white's nice and smooth and the red/purple is well highlighted :)

MutantMaggot
30-12-2007, 09:25
Hmm ... I take it we can be sure of 'units' of wraiths now, then? ;)

What are you using the model with two hand weapons as? An assasssin?

What are all these dark elf models? Sim ply very old models from 'nback in the old days'?

Very nice models, everyone. :)

Don't get too drunk. Hangovers are not pleasant ... ;) (Not that I'd know, of course ... ;) )

Harry
30-12-2007, 09:43
5 wraiths? Is that even legal under the current rules? :p
No, Not as such,Not under the 'current' rules. :evilgrin:

Hmm ... I take it we can be sure of 'units' of wraiths now, then?

What are you using the model with two hand weapons as? An assasssin?

What are all these dark elf models? Sim ply very old models from 'nback in the old days'?
I shared the rumour of Wraiths back as a unit well over a year ago. Back before the 2006 Gamesday IIRC. Its not my fault no one listens to a word I say. :D

He is an assassin. He was originally made as an assassin by Marauder.

They are indeed all very old models from 'back in the old days'. Back in the depths of time before plastic.

Marauder produced a complete range of Dark Elves. I have been collecting them over a long period of time and have finnally collected enough for a complete army. You will see the complete range by the end of this project.

Arhalien
30-12-2007, 09:55
No, Not as such,Not under the 'current' rules. :evilgrin:

And I also seem to notice that you've been talking about 2 black coaches for your VC... yet aren't they currently 0-1? :p

I shared the rumour of Wraiths back as a unit well over a year ago. Back before the 2006 Gamesday IIRC. Its not my fault no one listens to a word I say. :D

Well looking like a pie hardly inspires faith in what you're saying... :p

Jonahmaul
30-12-2007, 09:58
Happy Christmas everybody - sorry it's a bit belated but I haven't been very well. This also means that I haven't done any painting so even though I've had two months to paint 8 models I'm still behind (yet whenever I do units of 30 with fanatics I seem to be fine - weird!)

@ Arhalien - doh on the glade guard,this is something that's happened to me before & its very annoying. Really like your Eternal Guard despite your own reservations. I love the dark brooding theme of your WE's.

@ Dino - really like your Empire, hate the way your able to get them out so quickly!

@ Harry - nice looking Dwarfs. I think your DE are pretty cool, some of them aren't the greatest but the whole them of the army & your painting brings them together very well. I still love your undead though!! I listen to you Harry, whenever you speak I head your great wisdom. Note that I am thinking of doing DE for the next TOFP and as the book won't quite be out you will be getting a PM asking which models it is 'safe' for me to buy!

@ jme - nice looking HE.

Oskar Maxon
30-12-2007, 21:45
Julenissen, Harry! XD You're swedish-/norwegian-/danish-speaking, then?

Harry
31-12-2007, 06:25
No .... but the Norse Dwarves are. :D

I wrapped a few different traditions into the background story as a bit of a 'nod' towards the international community we have here on Warseer.

silverstu
31-12-2007, 10:45
Late? Me?:angel:
Here is my november work- these boys where basically finished but since december has been nuts workwise i just got them finished.
November dwarfs-
Unit-Bil "Bugman" Bodri and his boys,
15 rangers, great weapons,heavy armour and veteran
175pts

Total army points- a lot!
Background-
These are the rangers of the hold led by Bil Bodri -who likes to style himself after the famous dwarf ranger Josef Bugman. He claims they are cousins- the rest of the hold claim he has been outside too long.. His prop tankard does have it's uses, mainly cuffing the odd goblin round the side of the head rather than anything magical.

Highs- remembering how cool these models are

Lows- taking forever to get them somewhat finished

conversions- just a green stuffed cloak for Bil

Basing-usual sand and snow combo

Still to do- touch ups and some highlights- they are abit messy.

silverstu
31-12-2007, 10:55
Ok Harry's rangers and the background kicked my ass this month- great work as ever mate- really like the background. Nice conversion for grandfather frost and the painting is excellent. As always a nice selection of old models there- especially the granddaughter model.
@Arhalien- great work this month- the eternal guard look great- you really powered through them didn't you? Your powers are growing evidently..
@dino- as always your empire boys are looking great..
hmm.. everyone seems to be going great, hope you all had a great holiday-looking forward to more painting japes in 2008 with you all.
Stu.

Arhalien
01-01-2008, 16:08
Good God Harry! It's 5;15 in the afternoon and still no new thread! Are you telling me you're still asleep! :p

MutantMaggot
01-01-2008, 17:45
*wonders about the amount of alcohol consumed*

sigur
01-01-2008, 17:53
I hope that there won't be a new thread for a few days considering how far I am with December's miniatures and the fact that I'm not able to to ANYTHING at the moment.

edit: oh, and happy new year everybody.;)

Ironbreaker
01-01-2008, 19:23
November dwarfs-
Unit-Bil "Bugman" Bodri and his boys,
15 rangers, great weapons,heavy armour and veteran
175pts

I love the Bugman's Rangers models. It's a pity that you can't get them in the UK any more.
They're looking good there.

Huw_Dawson
01-01-2008, 19:43
Well, I've only painted 2 models this month, which is ok, seeing how I only had 2 to paint. :p

- Huw

Harry
02-01-2008, 08:05
Ok Harry's rangers and the background kicked my ass this month- great work as ever mate- really like the background. Nice conversion for grandfather frost and the painting is excellent. As always a nice selection of old models there- especially the granddaughter model.

hmm.. everyone seems to be going great, hope you all had a great holiday-looking forward to more painting japes in 2008 with you all.
Stu.
Not at all. Yours look great. I have some of those to paint myself. In fact your whole army looks great all together. Nice tight scheme always starts to apy off as you get more models painted.

Good God Harry! It's 5;15 in the afternoon and still no new thread! Are you telling me you're still asleep!
But its still dark. Maybe I should open the curtains. :D

*wonders about the amount of alcohol consumed*
I was as sober as the next man.

Sadly he was 'motherless'! :D

I hope that there won't be a new thread for a few days considering how far I am with December's miniatures and the fact that I'm not able to to ANYTHING at the moment.

edit: oh, and happy new year everybody.;)
I will leave it another day then. :D

New thread will be up tonight.

I love the Bugman's Rangers models. It's a pity that you can't get them in the UK any more.
They're looking good there.
Got some spares if you want some drop me a PM

I will echo Stu and Sigurs good wishes and hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year and I too look forward to enjoying the second half of this project with you all as much as I have the first.