PDA

View Full Version : first army list is this right? space marines

Imperial Dragon
22-12-2007, 01:35
Space marine army list

Assault: 4 assault units 175pts

Tactical: 6 units plus transports with commander 400pts

Tactical: 6 units plus transports with commander 400pts (can I swap the rhino for drop pods?)

Bike: 5 bikes units 200pts

Terminators: 4 terminator units supreme commander 4 land riders 825pts

Strike Cruiser 200pts

2 marauder bombers 300pts

2 warhound titan 500pts

this comes to 3,000 points

is this how it should be done?

is there anything im missing out on?

and is this a good starting army?

Hena
22-12-2007, 03:26
Marines huge asset in E:A is Thunderhawk and air assault. So I would add it there.

One thing to note. Marines in general win with assaulting. They cannot shoot their way through most opponents. Just so that you understand that it will be hard to win with shooting.

You don't have any anti air weapons there either. That can be a large drawback against enemy with lot of aircrafts.

I generally like to see new players with new lists, so I won't tell you how I would change that list :). Also as it would show my preference on how to use Marines. But I can point out my tournament pages. Go to results and it should have links to armies used in there (which includes Marines). So it would help showing what have been used in here in tournaments.
http://iki.fi/hena/gw/tournament/

Chaos and Evil
22-12-2007, 13:43
Marines huge asset in E:A is Thunderhawk and air assault. So I would add it there.

He doesn't need Thunderhawks, he has a Strike Cruiser so his infantry units can use Drop Pods.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Assault: 4 assault units 175pts

I would drop these from the list and use the points saved to buy some AA (2 Thunderbolt Fighters would be my preference).

Tactical: 6 units plus transports with commander 400pts

Tactical: 6 units plus transports with commander 400pts (can I swap the rhino for drop pods?)

Both of these are allowed to swap their Rhinos for Drop Pods, and thus can drop onto the planet when you activate your Strike Cruiser.

I would swap the Commanders for Chaplains, as these two formations are going to be used in Assaults more than in a command role.

Bike: 5 bikes units 200pts

Bikes are cool. :)

Terminators: 4 terminator units supreme commander 4 land riders 825pts

Wow that's an expensive formation!

I prefer to split up my Land Raiders and Terminators, so the Terms can Teleport, whilst the Land Raiders drive around doing their thing as heavy battle tanks rather than transports.

My favourite use for Land Raiders is to carry Devestators actually.

Strike Cruiser 200pts

Strike Cruiser bombardments are awesome. :)

2 marauder bombers 300pts

I've never gotten much use out of Marauder bomber pairs... I far prefer four Thunderbolt fighters instead.

2 warhound titan 500pts

You can never have enough Titans. :D

Good luck on your first games!

MarkNorfolk
23-12-2007, 11:27
Fluffy as it is - Terminators in Land Raiders equals open season on the formation. It'll draw every big gun the opponent has. If he has a TK weapon you know where it's going. The nature of the game makes me recomend you split the foramtion and teleport the termies.

Cheers
Mark

Patriarch
24-12-2007, 10:51
Fluffy as it is - Terminators in Land Raiders equals open season on the formation. It'll draw every big gun the opponent has. If he has a TK weapon you know where it's going. The nature of the game makes me recomend you split the foramtion and teleport the termies.

Cheers
Mark

Of course, if your opponent is also playing Space Marines, he won't have any TK weapons without fielding a Warlord Titan.

Termies with LRs are a big points sink, but at least his army won't be shooting at anything else in your army!

tabletopnews
25-12-2007, 15:38
but at least his army won't be shooting at anything else in your army!

Until he inevitably destroys them all. You also start to generate piles of BMs this way. Even with just AT weapons there will be a lot of dead Marines this way. RA only saves you for so long... unless you're playing against me with Leman Russ tanks in which case you become invulnerable :-)

Termies are far more flexible outside of the LRs using their Teleport ability to drop into combat with rear area units or onto objectives. Dropping Termies behind someone's company of artillery or some pesky AA units and destroying them all in an assault is one of the more fun things to do with Terminators.

tabletopnews
25-12-2007, 15:40

I agree with C&E that if you are going to buy a Crusier that you should use the flexibility that it gives you. THawks are great support for precise targets but if you can grab drop pods and use them to place your Tacs anywhere on the board without having to take two turns of fire then its a good thing.

I'd suggest taking at least one Assault formation though and a Dread or two. Dreadnoughts and Drop Pods are a nasty thing