PDA

View Full Version : Desert Urban Terrain project

Damage,Inc.
29-12-2007, 09:57
Here's a few pictures of some freshly finished desert/urban terrain. It is based heavily off of the types of buildings found throughout desert communities from rural to relatively urban poor areas. These were inspired by the towns my unit patrolled while in Iraq. I will have some date palm-esque trees built soon along with some barricades and burned out vehicles.

These types of houses were extremely easy to build as most are simple box-type shapes with flat roofs.

Vengance
29-12-2007, 13:25
nice buildings there Damage,Inc.

just a quick question, Did you use foam card to make these and what size was it

Many thanks

Vengance

Wolf Scout Ewan
29-12-2007, 13:27
Cool man. Lovely stuff!

As a side note... respect for going out there. Good to see someone safe at home.

Grey_Death
29-12-2007, 22:03
First look and I immediately thought of Iraqi/middle eastern construction. Even without seeing the last picture with the good old IP and Iraqi flag ^_^. Saw my fair share of the buildings too. These have done a good job of capturing the feel of them. I would challenge you now to put together a few 'under construction' versions. One thing you really don't understand about the construction over there, until you've seen it, is that EVERYTHING is made out of small bricks covered over with concrete.

On a constructive note, for future pieces, you should try for straighter cuts. Use a metal edged ruler taped into place to help guide your blade.

Damage,Inc.
30-12-2007, 09:05
It's funny to say but one of the things that helped me make sense of the boredom was pulling terrain ideas from the surroundings. After I saw just how simple and straight forward their buildings were, I knew I had to build a 'desert peoples' table upon redeployment.

My project army is planned to be IG with modern weapons from TAG and painted in the new Army grey-green colors, with a large IA/IP conscript platoon. We worked with the IA a LOT and the amount of variation and 'character' in their equipment and clothing allows for a nice modeling opportunity (unfortunately one out of three models needs to be kneeling and smoking for accuracy). The ones in the picture are actually really old models I was trying out paint schemes on.

These are all 1/8" foam core and card stock. I do have a ruler but tend to get a little 'fast paced' in the heat of the moment and just need to slow down and make every cut well aligned.

The next batch coming up includes some bombed buildings, barricades with c-wire and jersey barriers, palm-like trees, and some destroyed cars and armored vehicles I got form the dollar store. Each building gets a little better than the last and soon will begin my centerpieces- a school, mosque, and apartment complex. I'm also going to slow down a bit and start making tiled floors and detailed interiors.

Dengar
30-12-2007, 13:12
Theres some good work there if you are going to make any buildings that are under construction a good tip is to have posts in each corner with steel rod type things coming out of the tops. All the buildings i saw in egypt were built like that they left the rods there for when they build the next level . I dont know if they are built like that in iraq but im sure they would build them the same sort of way.

Ciaphas Cain
30-12-2007, 13:42
Yay, exactly the kind of terrain I'm gonna need for my desert patrol.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m146/CiaphasCain_album/Warhammer%2040k/012-2.jpg

I'll be following this thread closely.

Keep'em coming

Cheers

CC

Grey_Death
30-12-2007, 18:00
I'm also going to slow down a bit and start making tiled floors and detailed interiors.

Be sure to hit up a store like hobby lobby or some other hobby shop. They have textured plasticard that works wonderfully for tiles in the doll house section.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/DSCN0698.jpg

Damage,Inc.
30-12-2007, 18:19
Yay, exactly the kind of terrain I'm gonna need for my desert patrol.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m146/CiaphasCain_album/Warhammer%2040k/012-2.jpg

I'll be following this thread closely.

Keep'em coming

Cheers

CC

Dude, that is an awesome picture. I love your paint scheme, and it is nearly identical to what my 'conscript' platoon will be done up like. How did you you make the boonie caps? I want to do a 'recon' squad like that with some snipers, but I'm not very god with green stuff.

Damage,Inc.
30-12-2007, 18:21
Be sure to hit up a store like hobby lobby or some other hobby shop. They have textured plasticard that works wonderfully for tiles in the doll house section.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/DSCN0698.jpg

A great idea, thanks. I was going to hand cut plasti-card or card stock, but that's a lot of work for terrain that will become public use at my LGS.

Damage,Inc.
30-12-2007, 23:53
Here's a little update-

Started the barricades and a destroyed two story house. The first two pictures are just WIP of the barricades. They are supposed to 'feel' like the concrete barriers put around the cities for traffic control and check point fortification. When they're done I'll put a lot of writing scrawled across them, propaganda posters, and other stuff. The signs will be a mix of IP/IA type and city signs.

The pictures below are some posters I added to the already finished buildings. These are a mix of stuff pulled from the net or my pictures. I have some more for when I do some detailed interiors, the next step in this project. I'm thinking about adding some busted in gates and doors off the hinges, but those can come later.

Grey_Death
31-12-2007, 01:11
Al-Sadr......rage...building.....

Damage,Inc.
31-12-2007, 02:14
Al-Sadr......rage...building.....

Yeah, I hear ya. Ironically, when we were out in the DRV, the Shia militias were more concerned about killing the Sunnis and left us alone. They were the closest thing we had to allies... and were a damn sight better than the police.

What a ****ed up war when the people fighting your side in Baghdad are helping you 40 miles away...

Ciaphas Cain
31-12-2007, 17:35
Nice building.
Esp the poster of the lokal Blood Pact leader ;)

@boonie hat: I just added some GS on top of a Bretonnian helmet. Virtually no skill required.

Happy New Year

Cheers

CC

Vengance
01-01-2008, 09:46
The barricades are coming along nicely Damage,Inc.

The posters are really good to they add the little details to the project

Keep up the good work

Vengance

Damage,Inc.
02-01-2008, 22:10
I had hoped to finish a few more pieces, but unfortunately I have to put the project on hold for a while. Real life keeps getting in the way. So, here's what I've done so far. Pulled a lot of cool stuff from the dollar store and started making some pieces with all that too.

My test tree turned out well, once painted and fully based it will look a lot better. The tough part was making it srong enough to not break off at the based. To do that, I wrapped wire around the trunk and made a hole for the bottom of the trunk. The wires were glued down with a real thick PVA and taped over. Once based with some loose sand and bushes it will look pretty good.

The unpainted barricades turned out well too. They don't need much more to look like what I planned.

The tank and the car are more of the dollar store toys I was working on making into hulks. Again, once painted and weathered they'd look a lot better.

Vengance
03-01-2008, 10:00
Hi

The tree looks good, was that from the dollor store ?

The damaged building looking good :D i'm looking forward to seeing you complete these

Keep up the good work

Vengance

LoneSniperSG
11-01-2008, 01:59
I might suggest you do something with the wheels of the police car so the pegs aren't showing.. looks odd even in the future..

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
11-01-2008, 11:07
@Damage, Inc.

Check your Private Messages.

Damage,Inc.
13-01-2008, 22:39
Yeah, the police car is a WIP, as is it all. Unfortunately all the parts are in WA and I am in NC clearing the Army so it's not going to get much more work done anytime soon. Nothing is painted or ready to go at all here.