PDA

View Full Version : Choosing AP/AT when shooting

Irisado
03-01-2008, 14:21
I was just wondering how precisely the shooting rules work when formations have only one weapon which can fire both AP and AT fires at a formation containing both infantry and vehicles.

Do all the units in the formation have to fire the same type of ammunition or can you specify that x number of units will fire AP and x number of units will fire AT?

I'm thinking here of Space Marines Devastators as an example, since I will end up playing Space Marines in my first game, and it will be critical to know whether they all have to fire the same type of shot, or whether they can differentiate from unit to unit.

My personal view is that they would probably all have to fire the same type of shot, but having read the shooting rules several times, they seem a bit vague in this regard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chaos and Evil
03-01-2008, 14:34
They can select their fire type from unit to unit.

In fact, they can change their fire type from weapon to weapon!

So your devestator unit (Which has two shots) could fire one Anti-Personell attack (Hitting on a 5+), and one Anti-Tank attack (Hitting on a 6+).

Hena
03-01-2008, 16:51
So you can select the type shot by shot. Though you have to decide it before you start rolling for hits.

astrocortex
03-01-2008, 17:37
That's about the size of it yeah. You can declare you're splitting your fire and the number of shots assigned to each weapon type before rolling to hit.

A fresh Dev detachment has 8 shots per turn. So you could elect to fire 7 Ap shots and 1 At shot if you felt like it.

CyberShadow
03-01-2008, 19:22
That's about the size of it yeah. You can declare you're splitting your fire and the number of shots assigned to each weapon type before rolling to hit.

This is correct, but just to clarify - all shots have to be fired against the same target formation.

Irisado
03-01-2008, 19:31
Thanks for clearing that up.

I read about splitting shots from each unit into AP and AT in the FAQ, but the fact that each unit can switch between AP/AT when shooting is something I had not picked up on, so thank you. Fighting against Space Marine Devastators is going to be even worse than it used to be!