PDA

View Full Version : New UK 2004 Golden Daemon Booklet

t-tauri
16-04-2005, 09:05
I was horrified to walk into WH Smiths this morning and find the Golden Daemon booklet for sale at a whopping six pounds. The pictures we were used to getting in WD or latterly as a separate booklet free with WD is now being sold as a separate thirty odd page stiff covered magazine.

Six pounds for what we all expected to see as a WD freebie. :(

I'm moving towards the money grubbing camp now.

Baggers
16-04-2005, 20:59
Yep it was on sale in GW, and I will admit I bought it so I can have some fun with a friend who is featured in said mag.

Vogon
17-04-2005, 12:11
I agree

I felt very let down that they are now charging for this both as it was a give away last year and the amount they are charging as it is about half the thickness of a White Dwarf. I recognise the paper quality is better but come on GW this is taking the Mick a bit.

I still bought it to as I'm good mates with one of the winners but still...

A very dissapointed

Vogon

de Selby
17-04-2005, 13:02
How disappointing.

The inclusion of the GD stuff in a WD often gets me to buy it when I otherwise wouldn't bother. So I'll probably purchase one less magazine in addition to skipping the booklet.

Rabid Bunny 666
17-04-2005, 13:15
i skimmed it, there was quite alot of WIPs for the winners, seems kinda fishy to me ;)

NetGuru
17-04-2005, 16:31
Well untill i read this thread this morning i didn't even realise that the booklet was out, i just thought that GW weren't doing one this year. So i went to my local WH Smiths and low and behold there was a pile of 30 or so GD booklets. And due to me having the 2002 and 2003 booklets i bought it, just to keep the collection going (i'm wierd about stuff like that).

But i must say im dissapointed in GW for charging a stupid 6 for a very thin booklet, which has been free for the last two years.

Pro's about the book is that the page count has doubled, and some of the entries now have text next to them to explain how they came about and why they entered with that perticular piece. It also has a section about the judges of the competition and how you can get noticed in the GD comp. Finish it off with a few pages at the back of other GD winning entries (mainly from America) and you have quite a slick production.

The con's about it are obviously the price, and how GW are charging for a publication that was previously free. Hopefully it won't sell very well and it'll be free next year, but im not holding my breath.....

Vogon
17-04-2005, 17:40
Having said it was previously free I do remember that in the past they did produce a book of GD winners and other good stuff from GD competitions to buy. It was hardback though and 61 pages, the one I have is from the 1990 GD.

I didn't mind paying for that one...

Vogon

NetGuru
17-04-2005, 17:57
Having said it was previously free I do remember that in the past they did produce a book of GD winners and other good stuff from GD competitions to buy. It was hardback though and 61 pages, the one I have is from the 1990 GD.

I didn't mind paying for that one...

Vogon

Yes, i have a book called Fanatasy Miniatures and it has the results of the GD from that year, which i think it about 1985ish. I is hardback and got quite a few pages to it.

Darkson
17-04-2005, 19:00
Saw it yesterday, and was disgusted.

I may like the games, but I'm more and more turned off by the comany policies.

Needless to say, I won't be buying it. There's plenty of as good (if not better) figs about on the 'net.

philbrad2
18-04-2005, 20:11
Well thats 6 quid I've saved!

(coughs) R I P O F F ! !

:cool:

StugMeister
18-04-2005, 21:54
WtF!?

I really look forward to that time of the year when GW are actually quite nice to us guys, giving away a nicely printed GD booklet. There's no way I'm gonna spend money on that.

The pestilent 1
18-04-2005, 22:39
i think theyve just gone nuts myself.
im personally waiting for the announcement that it was all a big mistake and that GW are considering taking legal action against smiths for selling the free booklet.
i dont think theyd be quite that stupid, but i wonder everyday.

taer
18-04-2005, 23:33
Hey, at least you guys got GD books previously. This is news to us blighters in the states. Though, now that you have to pay for it, I think we're better off now.

Misfratz
19-04-2005, 22:59
Given that my daughter ripped the pages out of my previous ones [she really does like looking at the pictures of well-painted mins] I'm certainly not going to pay 6 for it. I've always seen pictures of the minis as a bit of fun, not something I'm going to pay for.

It certainly surprised me when I saw it was a separate thing for sale. 6 kind of took my breath away though...

Ethereal Alpaca
22-04-2005, 21:35
Ok, I'm not normally one to rant about GW, but WTF are they playing at here? :mad:

They seriously expect me to pay 6 whole pounds for something that should be free anyway? Not a chance. I would've liked this booklet, it's a pity they are just so damn low...