PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Storage terrain project

LoneSniperSG
09-01-2008, 01:43
I'm beginning my first terrain project (Second if you count the pre-molded hill I painted and such). Since my preferred environment is urban, and my army's environment is winter, well.. I settled on a fuel storage depot. I already have plans ironed out in my head..

As far as supplies, I have:

3 "Jolt" energy drink aluminum bottles.
Cardboad + masking tape = concrete walls
Base
Flock
Modelling sand

now, my problem is, I'd like some kind of catwalks or something, or a ladder atleast. I can't think of any materials to use for this, and plasticard is out of availability but I can think something up.

Now, I was hoping someone else could give me ideas, if they've done a similar project.

Codsticker
09-01-2008, 03:00
Here is a WIP pic of some storage tanks I made a few years ago. Small Pringles containers form the tanks.The bits on top I bought at a hardware store: the bright "buttons" (now painted grey) are wooden plugs for covering sunken wood screws and the rings that like valves are little collars for some sort of electrical connector-type-thing. The catwalk is scratch built from Evergreen styrene and fine aluminium mesh (available at hobby stores).

CryoMax
09-01-2008, 18:15
Hey, the WIP thing looks great! I have a box full of nothing but (large) Pringles cans, waiting for me to do something with them... And another collection of peanut cans (shorter, wider)... My place is a garbage heap waiting for "inspiration". :)

Hurry up and post some pictures of the Jolt can project -- maybe I'll inspired to finally make some use of the trash I've collected. :) (I'm also focusing on a urban theme)

...Paul

Codsticker
10-01-2008, 02:16
My place is a garbage heap waiting for "inspiration". :)

1/3 of my basement is in the same state. :(

N810
10-01-2008, 03:09
cereal box cardboard is always a good material.
bits of old metal screen are useful in sci-fi building.

combine the two and you have an interesting catwalk.

plastic or wood coffee stirrers are a good in general
for things like laders or pipes and other random details.

LoneSniperSG
10-01-2008, 23:51
How does cardstock like cereal boxes not warp from glue or paint?

I am also at a loss as to whether or not group the tanks together. There are only three and one is shot to hell. I do want to build walls and a bunker around it though.

Codsticker
11-01-2008, 02:21
I think the best way to get your card stock from warping from the paint is to spray it- lightly. That way you get an nice even coverage without saturating the card.

All the fuel tanks I have seen at any decent sized installation are grouped together. Is the bunker and the walls all going to be on the same base? I'd be tempted to build them as separate pieces so that you can opt to not include either the bunker or the walls if you wish, or to use them elsewhere on the table.

LoneSniperSG
11-01-2008, 04:55
I figured that such a valuable asset as the lifeblood of tanks and apc's would have concrete walls around much of them. The Imperium is arrogant, yes, but not always stupid, and it would give me a nice chance to try things I haven't been able to do yet.

I shouldn't actually call it a bunker, maybe just a pillbox or something. A bunker is planned for another piece, using styrofoam braces from automobile radiator packaging (new radiators, thank god. Coolant leaks suck.)

ducki3x
11-01-2008, 16:04
I'm excited to see this develop - I'm working on a set of terrain for a fuel storage facility as well, but I'm going for a remote outpost feel rather than urban...

If you wanted to go basic with the catwalks - simply platforms to place figures on - you could do heavy card as referenced above or foamcore. One of the cooler things about catwalks (in my humble opinion, at least) is the look of the metal grates, so there are a couple of things I have used to accomplish this without too much more effort:

I went to Lowes and bought the smallest roll of plastic fine-mesh screen (like you would use for a screen door or a window) I could find - it was like $5 USD and I got enough for many, many projects. The metal type of mesh might work, but plastic seemed easier to work with in general.

I cut foamcore to size for the catwalk, then cut a piece of mesh slightly larger. I coated the foamcore with a thinned coat of wood glue, placed the mesh on top and let dry. There was a little touch up with extra glue required and, after drying, longer pieces did require a bit of time under a heavy book to deal with warping (you could also reinforce warping bits with extra sprue). After dry/flat, I trimmed off the excess mesh and touched up any loose bits.

I don't know what it's called, but there's a plastic grid that's manufactured for some kind of needlepoint/knitting old granny hobby. I came accross them when wandering through Joann's Fabric while waiting for my wife (she goes to model stores, I go to fabric stores - lots of good, cheap bits and inspiration there, if you can get past all the pink). They come in square grids and circular ones (awesome for implying stained-glass windows in buildings) with varying widths. Some require additional reinforcement, some are stiff enough to support troop-sized minis on their own. A pack with several grids cost about $6 USD, IIRC.

For either option, you could cut strips of cardstock to act as section dividers, edging, etc.

N810
11-01-2008, 16:38
heres some good pics for reference
http://www.wraezor.com/gdawn/oil%20tanks.jpg
http://www.georgia.anglican.org/deacons/D%20Meditation_Sermons_files/Whale-oil-tanks2Web.jpg
http://www.msindfab.com/images/M%20&%20S/Tanks/Quench%20Tank%20work.jpg
http://images.industrialshelving.com/product_images/freestanding.jpg
http://www.equipto-cabinets.com/MFG-PRODS/Equipto/Catwalk.jpg
http://www.wolfeindustrial.com/Portals/0/Skins/Wolfe/images/safety_large.jpg
http://radio.weblogs.com/0119080/images/Gallery/mezzanine.gif

LoneSniperSG
12-01-2008, 02:43
I do have one quandry..

What's an effective way to keep the cans (And later, the cardboard walls) stuck to the base? hot glue? It doesn't seem to me that superglue would do the trick here..

As mine is snow terrain, I have no problem making piles of snow around the base of each fuel silo.

N810
12-01-2008, 13:46
hot actually works pretty good ... I use it a lot.
but make sure you put your glued pieces together quickly
before the glue starts to cool.

oh ya hot glue would make great snow drifts. :D

Codsticker
12-01-2008, 15:39
My problem with hot glue is that it's a bit messy. I usually glue my stuff down with white glue a let it sit over night. I have used superglue as well and it works fine.

CryoMax
14-01-2008, 01:29
I went to Lowes and bought the smallest roll of plastic fine-mesh screen (like you would use for a screen door or a window) I could find - it was like $5 USD and I got enough for many, many projects. The metal type of mesh might work, but plastic seemed easier to work with in general.

They have plastic now? Woot! I bought a roll of screen door material a long time back, with the hope of using it for chainlink fencing and the like. To my dismay, I realized (too late) that it's actually *just* woven wire. Once you deform it, or cut it small, the wires slip, fall out, and the whole thing just becomes a mess. If you do look for wire mesh like that, *make sure* that it's either one-piece molded or somehow anchored together, and not just a "weave" of wire...

I don't know what it's called, but there's a plastic grid that's manufactured for some kind of needlepoint/knitting old granny hobby. I came accross them when wandering through Joann's Fabric while waiting for my wife (she goes to model stores, I go to fabric stores - lots of good, cheap bits and inspiration there, if you can get past all the pink). They come in square grids and circular ones (awesome for implying stained-glass windows in buildings) with varying widths. Some require additional reinforcement, some are stiff enough to support troop-sized minis on their own. A pack with several grids cost about $6 USD, IIRC.

It's called "plastic canvas" and is usually used for a variation of cross-stitch. Very very useful stuff; the holes come in different sizes (if you look around) and you can also find them built as different shapes. I found a "ball" shape, that is basically two halves, and is just about the right size for the end of a Pringle can (see attached) -- I expect with some paint & distress, it will make for a good "vent" for a smokestack. Take a knife to it, and maybe it can serve as a sniper post or something... I haven't decided yet. :)

...Paul

LoneSniperSG
14-01-2008, 02:18
Okay, so I've seen good ideas for mezzanines, what about railings for them?

I'm also not really certain how to start. This is actually my first scratch terrain project. I might want to have the fuel silos removable since they're so tall.

Grumbeard Starbreaker
15-01-2008, 19:16
I think the aluminium cans will be a female dog to keep the paint on.
At our club we have seen that the paint realy chips of the cans.

What we used were the cardboard tubes design for poster storage.
They work extreemly well, they are easy to cut, easy to paint and easy to mount on a base. (wood glue works fine)

Hope this helped.

N810
15-01-2008, 20:16
if you don't want to build every thing you self
http://www.imex-model.com/games2.htm
these are some good/cheep kits.
http://www.thewarstore.com/IMEXPlatformerHexagon.html
with nice railings.

you got a 100 parts for $20
and they snap together

LoneSniperSG
16-01-2008, 01:20
Those are cool. I presume they're 40k scale?

N810
16-01-2008, 01:38
yep and you can get them cheaper too
"his set contains 13 sprues which will allow you to build fantastic terrain for your miniature battles. 28mm scale"
the parent company is actually Russian
http://www.tehnolog.ru/engver/product/sn/
but they don't sell the models directly,
they seem to use other companys as middlemen:
IMEX Model Company
PEGASUS HOBBIES
robogear
Urban War
etc...

heres some ideas
http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page412.html

LoneSniperSG
16-01-2008, 19:46
What irks me is that such things couldn't possibly be used in GW-specific special events, right? I doubt I'll ever get to one, but you never know..

I can also switch from the jolt cans to smaller, cardboard cylinders. We use them as packaging for brake lines at work, but they can be cut down easily. So instead of three big cans, I can get maybe six of those tubes. And they do have caps, as well.

Also, I went to the local hardware store (before seeing the post about the catwalk kits) and got four square feet of nylon screen mesh, along with a few pieces of small PVC pipe. I've already begun construction of one catwalk from an old HO-scale rail truss bridge. I might save this to use as an actual footbridge, though. Not certain yet. I might resort to having an actual suspended catwalk wrapped around the storage silos, with sprues cut to length to make supports and railings. Finally I'll get rid of all my god-forsaken sprues! Anyone know some cheap ways to scratchbuild ladders?

I've also been struck with the idea of making fencing out of the previously mentioned mesh, likely crushed by tanks though. Doesn't make much sense to have such an important objective open only to one side or so.

Sword of Glory
05-06-2008, 00:32
Anyone know some cheap ways to scratchbuild ladders?

Two pieces of sprue for the upright bits, then make the rungs out of strips of card/plasticard or whatever. They look a bit simple but if you add some detailing it can look quite nice :)

Also, for painting aluminium cans, gently sandpapering them seems to work - it gives it a wee bit of texture as well, which is nice

It sounds like an interesting project mate, keep it up