PDA

View Full Version : First Epic army in nearly nine years. Lots of help probably needed.

Kahadras
14-01-2008, 23:09
I first got into GW back in the days of Space Marine and Titan Legions. With the comming of Epic 40K, however, I gave up on Epic and moved onto 40K and Warhammer. Now after a very long break I've decided to try to get back into the hobby with a few people at my club now playing the game.

Back in the old days I seriously loved my titans (it was what made the game cool to me) so I decided that I wanted some in my new army. When comming up with my army I decided to take a tech guard orientated force. The basic theme behind the list was a 'crusade for knowledge' led by a high ranking tech priest in search of a lost STC.

I decided that the Magus would want to bring along his own personaly body guard so my first choice was a Regimental HQ. So there's the tech priest (supreme commander) and his 'body guard' mounted in Chimera. Next I wanted to give the idea that he might have had to ally himself with another tech priest in order to 'fund' the experdition so the other tech priest has also arrived his his entourage as well, eager to share in the technological spoils that may be present. I decided to go for a Mechanised Infantry Company to represent the second tech priest.

Next I moved onto my favorite bit which was deciding which rather large toys my Magos had brought along with him. Finaly I decided that his arm twisting had got him a Reaver and 2 Warhound scout titans. Wanting another 'big' thing I also decided to throw a Baneblade in there as well.

I decided on adding maneuverability through some stormtroopers with Valkyries and some Vultures for support. The idea was that these guys would race ahead to secure any likely locations for the STC while the rest of the army race to catch up.

Lastly I assigned a Hydra to each Tech Priest in the hope that they might help to ward off any air attacks.

Final list -

Regimental HQ + Hydra = 550p
Mechanised Infantry Company + Hydra = 450p

Storm troopers + Valkyrie = 350p
Super heavy tank platoon (Baneblade) = 200p
Vulture squadron = 300p

Reaver Titan = 650p
2 Warhound = 500p

= 3000p

I have no idea how well this army will perform and I really need advise. I'm not to worried about it being ultra competitive but I want to maintain the feeling that this is more an 'amature' battleforce with the tech priest being more interested in getting their hands on any technology rather than fielding a tacticaly balanced army. Ultimatly I want to army to rely quite heavily on the Titans and super heavy tanks as I like the idea of the Magos deciding to smash any tough nuts he might come across with the AWESOME POWER OF THE MACHINE GOD!!!

So any advice would be welcome.

Kahadras

Chaos and Evil
15-01-2008, 01:10
Hey there, and welcome back to the game where it actually makes sense to use Titans! :D

Ok now down to the nitty-gritty:

Regimental HQ + Hydra = 550p

Storm troopers + Valkyrie = 350p
Super heavy tank platoon (Baneblade) = 200p
Vulture squadron = 300p

Reaver Titan = 650p
2 Warhound = 500p

First off, your list is regrettably illegal... this is because unless you're using the Titan Legions army list you may only spend 1/3rd of your points on Titans.

So, you'd have to drop one of the Warhound titans from your provisional list, which leaves you with:

- Regimental HQ + Hydra = 550p

A good choice for any IG army.

- Again, looks good to me, the added AA ability is always useful when attached to mobile formations.

- Storm troopers + Valkyrie = 350p

I run a formation of these in my own IG army, and they are BRUTAL. As long as you can set up their attack correctly, the one-shot barrage from the four valkyrie transports can wipe out entire companies of enemies on their own.

- Super heavy tank platoon (Baneblade) = 200p

Most would tell you to go with a Shadowsword over a Baneblade, certainly Baneblades are harder to use.

- Vulture squadron = 300p

Incredibly powerful tank hunters, although expensive their 8 one-shot anti-tank rockets will do horrid damage to anything short of a full Leman Russ company, and for that you have your Reaver Titan!

- Reaver Titan = 650p

Probably the best anti-tank platform in the game (In its standard configuration). I like to use FW's Gatling/Volcano/Missile launcher config every now and then however.

- 1 Warhound = 250p

Use him as an objective-grabbing scout, rather than expecting him to stand in the main line of battle (That's what your Reaver and Infantry companies are for!).

With the 250pts saved by dropping one of the Warhound Titans, I'd recommend taking an Artillery Battery, which gives you a choice of:

- 3 Bombards
- 3 Manticores
- 3 Basilisks

Of the above, Basilisks can fire every turn, while Manticores and Bombards can only fire every second turn.

Manticores are more obviously powerful (Double the barrage strength of Basilisks, plus the Disrupt special ability), but I tend to like the shorter-ranged Bombards, because they have the same barrage strength as Manticores but instead of disrupt they ignore cover, which will help you root infantry formations out of bunkers / buildings etc.

I always try to cram a little ignore cover into my IG armies somewhere, normally in the form of Hellhounds.

tabletopnews
15-01-2008, 05:05
Most would tell you to go with a Shadowsword over a Baneblade, certainly Baneblades are harder to use.

Depends on what you want to do with them. Baneblades are great infantry support vehicles and are excellent at making an opponent think twice about assaulting a position.

Jambo
15-01-2008, 18:25
Depends on what you want to do with them. Baneblades are great infantry support vehicles and are excellent at making an opponent think twice about assaulting a position.

Unfortunatley Leman Russ tanks happen to be even better than Baneblades for these roles though.

Chaos and Evil
15-01-2008, 22:12
Unfortunatley Leman Russ tanks happen to be even better than Baneblades for these roles though.

Aye but you cannot buy Leman Russ as a cheap 200pt seperate formation... Baneblades *are* a good and valid unit choice (Especially if you use the upgunned WYSIWYG stats from the experimental rules)... but they are undoubtedly harder to make use of than shadowswords.

Jambo
17-01-2008, 17:07
Aye but you cannot buy Leman Russ as a cheap 200pt seperate formation... Baneblades *are* a good and valid unit choice (Especially if you use the upgunned WYSIWYG stats from the experimental rules)... but they are undoubtedly harder to make use of than shadowswords.

You can't buy Russ that cheap as a separate formation, but IIRC you can buy them as an upgrade to Infantry Co.s, and point for point they are a lot better than Baneblades which I think were stiffed a little when the stats were written.

I agree whole heartedly that Shadowswords are a much easier choice than Baneblades though.

As for the OP's list, I'd consider a Russ Co. hard to refuse in exchange for one of the Reaver titans, they hit very hard and are hard to kill. I happen to think that the Reaver titan is also quite a weak unit

Chaos and Evil
17-01-2008, 22:25
Baneblades which I think were stiffed a little when the stats were written.

Have you seen the 'upgunned' stats for the Baneblade which the ERC has proposed be adopted in the rules review?

Hena
18-01-2008, 15:45
Note that it's not ERC that's pushing them out. Mainly one person from ERC and bunch of people in TC (me being one of them :)).