PDA

View Full Version : So how was Games Day?

firestorm40k
25-09-2005, 17:55
Hello, unfortunately I wasn't able to make it this year :( but for those of you fortunate enough to have been there, how was it?

I was very interested in the big 40k game - Space Marines v Nids - did anyone have a go at this (and how fixed was it to 'nids winning? :evilgrin: ohh controversial!)

If you've any pics of nice gaming tables/minis you saw, please post them!

Thanks! :cool:

Tom
25-09-2005, 18:06
Pretty good. A bit less crowded and chaotic than it was at the NIA, and all the big things had more 'breathing space'. No real big random crushes far away from things too.

For some reason the 6 month rule means MORE new stuff there, don't ask.

Oh, and the meet-up was cool.

Lord Gordonis
25-09-2005, 18:14
Hiya Tom, omg !! it was soo good except for those ppl who came over here to win the golden demon, its not fair :(, yeah the meet up was funny and cool, i'll get my orange hat up sometime this week. I agree with tom about the NIA, lots of FREE STUFF too w00t!!

alterion
25-09-2005, 19:55
heh one of my mates managed to get a full 2000pt army off the conversion corner in bitz last year .. didn;t make it this year but hoping to next! how much of the arena was used.. as much as crufts (only other thing i've been to there?,.. cause that would be insane).. also did they have more games that you vcould play if you wern;t one of the first few in this time?..

Shuya
25-09-2005, 20:08
I saw u all meeting up, but was too reclusive to say ello. And busy playing games,.Plus the gaint hat wearer scared me :P

Konrad_Curze II
25-09-2005, 20:28
he was funny :D hopefully the pics will come up soon so i can laugh at myself in the photo

Tom
25-09-2005, 20:53
Apparently the 'Mega battle being fixed' thing backfired, the SCs won.

athamas
25-09-2005, 21:25
who ever took the group shot can they post it up, and ill get out lining the heads so we can put a name to all the faces!

Xhalax
25-09-2005, 22:23
I had HEAPS of fun terrifying the writers as most of them seemed to know who I was when I appeared.

'tis good to make a lasting impression!

And it was intriguing seeing that there are some of you who have an actual physical presence and aren't actually just figments of my over active and warped imagination.

athamas
25-09-2005, 22:25
hey, it was good to finaly put a face to you...

how did thre writers know you?? or do you mean us?

it was a fairly limited number of ppl you could have been!

mooby
26-09-2005, 09:53
i came to the meet up with tom but got a bit bored waiting as i was trying to get more free stuff from black library.

I have to say the signing was a bit lame and seminars were rubbish in general cos of the noise factor.

but that end with the BL was great but i didn't like it as much this year as last

starlight
26-09-2005, 09:58
most of them seemed to know who I was when I appeared.

You mean they recognised you from the security cam shots around their houses? :eyebrows: :p

Seriously, I hope you had a great time and got all the sigs you were hoping for.

Now answer your PM! :p

<pouts jealously about not making it to GD>

<schemes to make it next year>

Brother Edwin
26-09-2005, 11:16
The great one AKA me saw you lot but decided to go and meet the druchi.net group insted, so there.

Jedi152
26-09-2005, 12:23
who ever took the group shot can they post it up, and ill get out lining the heads so we can put a name to all the faces!
Yes - those of us who weren't there demand pics of WarSeers!

Luke
26-09-2005, 12:27
yay yay! youll get to see me in my fabulous 10 sizes too big transformers shirt and scruffy hair :D

firestorm40k
26-09-2005, 12:57
Apparently the 'Mega battle being fixed' thing backfired, the SCs won.

Ha! I expect the 'Nid players forgot to recycle their Gaunt broods. ;)

Thalin
26-09-2005, 14:33
Well, I had a great time at Games Day this year, and will definately be going next year. There was so much to see and do that it was sheer luck me and my friend managed to fit it in in perfect timing :)

Anyway, even though I hate my current camera, I still managed to take a lot of pics there. There's a range of photos but they are mostly GD entries, silly of me not to take pictures of other things around the center :(

Sorry about the quality on some (most) of them, but I hate my camera :( http://photobucket.com/albums/v465/ThalinRPG/Warhammer/Games%20Day%202005/

Broadside
26-09-2005, 15:45
i enjoyed it so i will make my self a regular now of games day
shame i dident get to see much of the 40k mega battle.
i look forward to sein the pics when there put up.

Yodhrin
26-09-2005, 15:58
Where are all the reports from people who were there? You usually see them up by now. I want to find out all the tasty new things dagnabbit! :p

Lostanddamned
26-09-2005, 16:32
Meetup was fun.

Random pair of pants that arrived was also a good thing

Luke
26-09-2005, 16:39
ok, i have 5 minutes.

gamesday was indeed a good day out. unfortunately thats all it was. the array of new miniatures was lets face it, not as expansive as we had all hoped.

the art competition was nothing spectacular, the bring and battle was populated by half painted sm and bretonian armies and the store games were inaccesable and for the most part, incredibly boring and run of the mill/seen it all before.

then again, this is how it has always been. well, at least for the last 5-6 years. true, i would rate 05 over 04, but only for the change of venue.

plus points:
* Got to meet up with the warseer massive :D
* manged to learn all about Whab
* got to see the tasty new vespid & chaplain models
* got to see the awesome 1/6 scale baneblade rc tank
* got to watch a few interesting games club battles
* the standard of the Golden Demon was phenomenally high, possibly one of the strongest fields yet.

in all, i probably would have enjoyed it more if i had entered the GD, brought an army to bring and battle, or entered the art competition. oh yeah, and come with a friend 9as opposed to on my own, sigh...)

Sylass
26-09-2005, 16:44
Mmmh, judging from the different pics and reports, GD UK seems to be A LOT better than the GD we have here in Germany...

:(

tzeentchgiant
26-09-2005, 16:47
Cheers for those Thalin, way cool pics.

TG

super_steve
26-09-2005, 17:21
It was my first games day this year dispite being in the hobby for several years and i really enjoyed it. the quality of all the tables and mini's was excellant.
i will deffinatly be going again, saw the warseer meet but didnt say hi im more of a lurker on the forums anyway.
my only disapointment was the amount of forigner's that picked up the demons do we not have talent in this country?

neXus6
26-09-2005, 17:35
Yep, i've been gaming for 11 years this was my first Games Day.
Wasn't to bad, didn't have enough money on me to make it great though. I also would pick the year with the worst GamesDay model EVER to be my first. :rolleyes:
:p

Funniest moment: Killing the 6th company's leader and chief librarian in one turn in the SM vs Nids Mega Battle...with a backwards scattering vindicator shell...the head honcho running the game had to step in and say "it's only a flesh wound they arn't dead." That's how good I am they need to cheat to stop me trying to destroy marines with friendly fire. :D

Also having some random kid on a coach swearing at us while we stood outside of our bus in the rain...he didn't have the balls to come off the bus when we started laughing at him.

Tom
26-09-2005, 18:34
my all diapointment was the amount of forigner that picked up the demons do we not have talent in this country?

We do, it's just Spain and Finland group together and bring theirs over to GDUK for some reason.

Lord Gordonis
26-09-2005, 19:15
it was very good this year, especially the change in venue, the free stuff from black library was cool, meeting warseer members, with my weird but cool hat (post it tomoz hehehe), the pants on the pole was funny :D

philbrad2
26-09-2005, 19:18
My faith in UKGD was restored yesterday!

Excellent venue, excellent event. Not that much in the way of new stuff really but a very enjoyable day (my feet still hurt) Golden Demon entry standard (domestic or not) was the hightest I've seen to date. Maybe so many non-Brits like to compete in UKGD because its the premier competiton in Europe? :rolleyes:

Taking my son to his first GD and it being such a good one made it even better for me. Roll on 2006, my countdown has started.

Sorry I missed the meetup I was getting my booty thrashed in a combat patrol game.

:chrome:

Xhalax
26-09-2005, 19:47
hey, it was good to finaly put a face to you...

how did thre writers know you?? or do you mean us?

it was a fairly limited number of ppl you could have been!

Yes....I do have a physical presence. And I'm glad you decided it was good to put a face the username.
As I said, it was good to see that you people aren't just figments of my imagination.

And I must have made an impression on some of them last year as I was at GD 2004 and I spoke to a lot of them. Plus I post a lot on the Black Library forums and the writers have been known to appear on there. And I said I would have my Kermit the Frog bag with me....so I got recognised and word must have gotten around that I was Xhalax from the Black Library forum. So I was spotted and recognised.

nurgle_boy
26-09-2005, 21:17
i thought it was reather gewd, although im a bit pissed that i forgot about the meet up...

still, daemon was good, i made finals, bought new army, robbed some bitz from conversion (a good beastherd), and shouted at morrisons for being so crap, including during the presentation ceremony...

i didnt magane to ask jes goodwyn for his children, but i bet he gets asked that a lot...

super_steve
26-09-2005, 22:26
One more criticism i would make would be concerning the golden demon area there was allways large amount of people around and it was hard to get a good look at the models there.
Maybe some form of moving queue would be better?

neXus6
27-09-2005, 02:51
Yeah I didn't get a look at the GD models for that reason.
I don't think it's something that can really be solved though, you simply just have to have the will and staying power to fight through the croud.

Lord Gordonis
27-09-2005, 12:41
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/DarthVadar/Stuff/Orangehat.jpg

Heres my orange hat, i dont why i didnt go to any of the games b/c there were too busy oh well maybe nxt year

ironduke
27-09-2005, 13:10
I got to see lukes blowfish "snicker"
Yeah it was nice to see people rather than there avatars cause sometimes i think for some strange reason that people look like them.

Pertinax
27-09-2005, 13:29
Lostandthedamned: Random pair of pants that arrived was also a good thing

What? It was the best thing! it was Teh banner of Teh Wastes! ;p

It was great to get a face to so many people's user names.

Other wise, GD was pretty OK. Apart from one of the halls being about 10C hotter than the other ones, and about 10x more sweaty than the others...

ironduke
27-09-2005, 13:45
I think it was the multitude of people clambering over everyone to reach the forgeworld stand.
Also when r we goin to get the piccies ;)

Grimtuff
27-09-2005, 17:52
Lav has the better group pics if they have not been posted yet, my Digicam seemed incable of taking a decent shot of anything/one at this years GD (yes yes, bad workman blaming his tools etc...) but Lav has the "proper" group pics

Post them! I too want to see how it came out :)

Grimtuff, the guy who will forever be known as being incapable of taking a halfway decent picture of Warseerers

Luke
27-09-2005, 22:58
all my GD pics came out prety much black, the venue was so huge and dark, my puny little flash couldnt even light up a shoebox.

that said, i have a photographic memory, i particularly liked the ice skating penguin cultists in the arena.....