PDA

View Full Version : All things Slaanesh {40K, WHFB, BB, Mordheim}

Arkzein
29-01-2008, 03:53
Well, about time for a new thread to bring my ever growing projects together, hoping with a new gaming club and approach (ie paint for gaming) to motivate me progress and updates will be more often. With over one year and just ten minis finished the last thread was weeping for shame. Thirteen years behind me in the hobby now and every one of those spent as a devotee of Slaanesh with no signs of abating, even after losing me entire force after the first seven, so not likely I'll be changing my mind on them any time soon. Hoping to get all of these completed within the next 2-3 years (Before the rumoured Emperor's Children legion Codex hits and I start again in any case.)

So let the bombardment of eye wateringly bright colours, with copious amounts of pink, commence!

The Projects:

Emperor's Children
Daemon Legion (40K and WHFB)
Blood Bowl Chaos Team
Posessed Mordheim Warband

EC Current Progress

Lord

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/Lord_LQ_SQ_WS_1.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/Lord_LQ_SQ_WS_2.jpg

Daemonettes

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/group.jpg

Noise Marines

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/3_Man_Group.jpg?t=1210617290

Arkzein
29-01-2008, 03:56
Blood Bowl Progress

#1 Arkzein Ahadiel, Captain

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/BBC_F_S.jpg

#2 Dalos Adenauer, Vice Captain

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/CW2_F_R.jpg

And that's it, no progress on the Daemonic Legion or Mordheim warband as of yet (except for purchasing most of the models). To follow the trend here I'll put a list of it all, but at the end after the nice pictures since no one wants to read them, good reference for myself and a list to "tick things off" as they get done though.

Emperor's Children

HQ

Forgeworld Keeper of Secrets
Winged Chaos Lord - WIP
Terminator Sorceror Lord
Terminator Lord with Lightning Claws
Lord on Foot
Lucius the Eternal
Winged Daemon Prince

Elites

12 Chosen
12 Terminators
6 Sonic Terminators

Troops

18 Marines
3 Rhinos
12 Noise Marines
6 noise Marines - 3/6
6 Daemonettes - Done
6 Daemonettes

Fast Attack

12 Raptors
6 Sonic Bikes (Jetbike conversions, Ravenwing Jetbike base)

Heavy Support

6 havocs
2 Defilers
Land Raider
3 Obliterators

Daemonic Legion

HQ

Forgeworld Keeper of Secrets
Herald on Chariot
Herald on Steed
2 Heralds on Foot
The Masque

Elites

12 Fiends of Slaanesh

Troops

60 Daemonettes - 6/10
12 "Furiettes" (Winged Daemonettes)

Fast Attack

18 mounted Daemonettes

Heavy Support

2 Soulgrinders
2 Winged Daemon Princes

Leporine Malefactors (Chaos Blood Bowl Team)

4 Chaos Warriors - 2/4
11 Beastmen
Minotaur

Mordheim Possessed Warband

Magister
2 Possessed
2 Mutants
3 Beastmen Heroes

3 Beastmen
6 Cultists
2 Darksouls

Phew, at the speed I go that is going to take me until Doomsday. However I won't need to buy another miniature for the forseeable future once the new Daemon releases hit!

Dromedar
29-01-2008, 08:41
Insane! :O
What can I say loooove them! :)

Mr Feral
29-01-2008, 08:51
This should a good log to watch, especially the new Daemons / Possessed warband. Great stuff so far!

*subscribed*

Ravenheart
29-01-2008, 09:40
The finished ones look great already.

And so does the defiler knight!

MOAR !

mrtn
29-01-2008, 11:37
Those are looking very nice! I'm looking forward to the Possessed too, even though you have an illegal list. You can only have three beastmen total, and those are henchmen.

Toschenko
29-01-2008, 13:34
OMG I'm so in love with those :eek::eek:

Those noise marines really hurt my eyes... in a good way, they are awesome. Nice and very slaanesh-y choice of colours :)

What's under the bases? It seems a coin, but I'm missing the sense :confused:...

Toschenko

qwertywraith
29-01-2008, 17:08
You're going to do Possessed for Mordheim? Awesome. Mordheim deserves more love, and truly is a great game for modeler/painters.

Leonathion
30-01-2008, 11:06
Great job! They look really beautiful!

Super Mario
30-01-2008, 13:24
Absoluely stunning Arkzein, purple and green really work well together.

Gloryseeker
30-01-2008, 15:24
very colourful!! and very Slaaneshy the colours look very crisp and defined. Those daemonette look alot better than my crappy white ones :(

MAD MAN-A-TRON
30-01-2008, 22:36
Can't wait to see more!

sergentzimm
31-01-2008, 01:07
OMG I want to see a close up of that freaking defiler robot!! That is awesome

Arkzein
31-01-2008, 03:36
@Toschenko ~ Yep 2 pence pieces under the base filled with GS to help balance (the vast majority of my minis are metal and prone to falling over otherwise). Likely will replace them with metal washers when i get around to making a magnetised display board.

@mrtn ~ Highly illegal! ;) Seriously though, I always have 3 beastmen in my warband, starting as henchmen and hoping they get "That lad's got talent" and become heroes, hence the six models. One for the free slot, one when the magister dies and can't be replaced as always seems to happen and another when a mutant goes. Dead 'ard Beastmen.

@qwertywraith Already have the warband, played all summer with it, just have to get the finger out and start painting the gits. Chaos Cultists and converted necro redemptionists are what I use, along with Beastmen Lords, chaos BB mutated warriors and converted daemonettes for the possessed. Definately a modellers dream and I agree the game deserves some love, great fun.

Anyway, cheers everyone. I was going to post my final finished daemonette and the new squad picture today (may still do, my flight isn't until tomorrow morning but I've a lot to get organised), however my grandfather passed away early this morning so you'll all have to wait a while as I'm heading home for a time to be with the family, not entirely sure when I'll pick things up again but naturally painting isn't too high on my list of priorities now.

*edit* here we go, new 'nette. May get a squad picture done before I go but the Taxi is here in 15 minutes. ;)

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/DM4_LQ.jpg

Novogord_Vivendi
31-01-2008, 08:27
Nice demonettes, it is good to see some other color for them then blue skin.

sanctusmortis
31-01-2008, 10:08
Sub added - it's inspiration for the wife's future army...

mrtn
31-01-2008, 13:05
...@mrtn ~ Highly illegal! ;) Seriously though, I always have 3 beastmen in my warband, starting as henchmen and hoping they get "That lad's got talent" and become heroes, hence the six models. One for the free slot, one when the magister dies and can't be replaced as always seems to happen and another when a mutant goes. Dead 'ard Beastmen...When you get LGT you can't replace that beastman. Max three total, however many LGTs you get.

If you want that many beastmen you should start a Beastman warband instead. ;) Those can be fun too after a while, just ask my WS 5 S 4 A 2 Gor henchmen. :D

Killshot
31-01-2008, 13:33
These are simply stunning. The highlights are wonderful and the blending is fantastic.

Arkzein
12-05-2008, 18:34
Aye I only ever have 3, they start as the henchman models and then progress to the hero models (hence I need 6 to represent the three same characters).

Anyways, back in business, I thought I was going to have to take the most of the year out with family things back home but all's well now. Trying to seriously speed myself up, I don't want to take more than 10 hours on a Mini (hopefully two a week done) as I have two full forces and well as the side projects and fancy taking up some 15mm WW2 next year...

As a test, 8 hours in, just finishing the NMM, and the Lord isn't looking too bad, naturally a bit rougher with the thicker paints and fewer layers, but should turn out ok. The maddening thing is I just can't decide what to do with that skull in his chest. Green would leave too much of it, as would purple, and yellow and blue will clash. May opt for Pink if the shoulder pad doesn't add too much when done.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/Lord_WIP_1.jpg

mr.silly
12-05-2008, 21:56
I have a slaanesh force similar(but not nearly as good) to yours, and I usually paint skulls a muted grey/khaki mix something alont the lines of:

50:50 Adeptus battlegrey/Kommando Khaki
50:50 Codex Grey/Kommando Khaki
50:50 Fortress Grey/ Kommando Khaki

with as many layers inbetween as you see necessary. I like it because its light, so it stands out, but its desaturated so your eyes dont have an overload from all that slaaneshi color.

Toschenko
13-05-2008, 07:05
I would say green, to go along the style of the others you have already done: I don't think it will be too overwhelming in the end, and it should add nicely to the face becoming the focal center of the mini. You don't have too much choices, too: blue will distract too much from the face, purple and yellow don't make enough contrast with the surrounding colours... so, go with green :D!

Toschenko

The Wildchild
13-05-2008, 12:15
How freaking good is your blending! Esp on the Bloodbowl minatures! Infact it's some of the best blending I've seen!!!!

Arkzein
14-05-2008, 01:31
Cheers, problem is I like folk being overwhelmed by all the colours. ;) Thankfully as I was hoping it did finally occur to me as I moved on and finished the NMM and agree that green it will have to be (and yes I was rather worried about it becoming the focus rather than the head).

As for blending, thanks. Since I came back into the hobby (A whole 12 minis ago!) that's the sole technique I've been aiming to improve on. (given it's needed to do anything even remotely fancy). Honestly it's about the only thing I can do with a brush. Makes a difference to how I was before though. ;)

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/compare.jpg

Neknoh
14-05-2008, 08:04
I really do like your colours, crisp and well executed, also, one of few good NMM's I've seen in quite a while. It's also fun to see someone else do Mordheim, except... I want to see models :p

The Wildchild
14-05-2008, 13:30
That is absolutely incredible! to get from your old style to that in 12 minis! Absolutely amazing!

What paints do you use for the blending?

Arkzein
15-05-2008, 06:24
*laughs* I have my Magister sitting here in bits crying out to be filed, pinned and GSed! (I love how much scope one has for conversions in Mordheim) He'll be next on the block once I return to Ireland on the 22nd.

Anyway, the lord is "done". Can't figure out what colour to do his wings yet or how to highlight them so for now he's on foot.

Biggest thing for me is speeding up hugely (18 hours rather than 35-40 for this guy!) but damned glad to finally have cracked my scheme for NMM, now I only have to work on the technique of getting it spot on. Anyway, enough rambling, pics!

*edit* Does Warseer resize images to a certain width? Height? *grumble*. Time to tinker. ;)

*edit 2* Yep, it's height, I'll have to remember that in future.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/Lord_LQ_SQ_WS_1.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/Lord_LQ_SQ_WS_2.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/Lord_LQ_SQ_WS_3.jpg

Galatan
15-05-2008, 14:35
Looking really cool :). Flashy colours really do those slaaneshi models justice.

How do you exactly blend btw? I've recently started using the technique for my dark angels, but I find it hard to get an even blend. Basicly what I do is paint a think line one the spot I want brightest, clean the brush, en 'draw' the paint out while the brush is still damp.

In the end I get something like this
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/alexander1223/IMG_4153.jpg

Cheers,
Galatan

Arkzein
16-05-2008, 12:41
Thanks, and I'll warn you now as I find it so hard to explain painting in words (30 seconds to show someone though ;)) I know before I start to answer I'm going to be rather verbose.

Sounds like you're using feathering which isn't a technique I use too often. (really only when I make a mistake, I feather it out to blend it into the surrounding area). What I do is thin my paint a bit more than most guides would advise, but not quite to a glaze (About five or sixr parts medium to one part paint) then use the properties of the thin paint to blend. (after dabbing off the excess on a paper towl as the paint is very runny). Really the thinner the paint the more forgiving but the longer things take.

It takes many passes to build up the full colour, the paint being rather translucent, so there's a huge room for error (As really your just tinting the under colour with one rather similar, gradually building up the next), yet it takes a long time. Gives me better results. I also use a lot of layers. For example going from Dark Angels Green to Scorpion green I have at least 7 layers and as many as 10. (ie Pure DA, 3:1DA/SG, 2:1 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, SG) gradually moving from the dark to the light edge of the surface as I move along.

For large flat surfaces like tanks though I'd go straight to wet blending (for which I have a different mix with slightly more paint extender, makes it far, far easier as you can work with the paint for a while) Simply put your two colours (or three in my case. DA, SG, Skull white) beside each other and blend them together in the middle. (Still have the paint thin enough so it takes a few passes, smoother finish and again more room for error) I do this wherever I can as it's the fastest method that gives pretty much perfect blends. (Guns on the noise marines).

Not that well explained I know, but plenty of guides online with pictures and such. ;)

Looking specifically at your tank, it looks fine really unless a close up shows something obvious I can't see. Hard to make out exactly how many different layers you used. About what I would advise generally is adding some retarder (Not required but having the pain dry slower makes things easier) and thin it down a bit and the feathering blend should be a bit smoother, however taking a bit more time. Always a trade off. I'm not sure if the slightly "dusty"? (can't find the right word) effect in the transitional area between your two colours is because there aren't enough layers and the colours are too far apart, the paint is drying too fast and so streaking or if it's slightly too thick. (All of which have given me similar results in the past) though I'm leaning away from thickness as it looks grand in that department.

Anyway, I hope some of that ramble helps, I'm a novice myself in most respects but I'd like to think I can at least have something useful to say on blending. :)

*edit* And progress on the Magister as promised, I need to redo the "trim" to make it sharper and thinner just. Oh and find some way of representing a bow on him, stumped on that.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/Magister_WIP_1.jpg

Count Sinister
17-05-2008, 15:00
Nice magister, Arkzein - and fantastic blood bowl minis! I know I'm just echoing others when I say it, but the blending is top class. Excellent stuff.
As for the bow on the magister - I sometimes favour putting 'extra' equipment (in other words, equipment that would just interfere with the model if you glued it on to the back of it) on the base. Don't know if it will work with a bow, but for example if a character has an axe as an extra hand weapon, I'll glue it to the base so that it looks like he's stuck the blade into the ground while he pulls out his bow/pistol/whatever. Just an idea, because that model is going to be good. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

qwertywraith
17-05-2008, 17:56
Fantastic work as always Ark. That Lord is OTT good times. Did you sculpt the skull details on the legs and chest?

Coolhand
17-05-2008, 18:30
Nice lord keep up the good work!!!

Harry
18-05-2008, 07:39
The ramble was great. Understood every word. :D

Your colours are bonkers ... (I mean they don't float my boat :D) but I can't touch your painting. Your blending is magnificent.

Arkzein
18-05-2008, 16:19
@Count Sinister Cheers, can't envision it with a bow but that's a damned handy tip for the other members of the warband, blue-tac/gluing new weapons onto the side of a mini and then removing them is a lot more fiddly than base work.

@Qwerty Nah, it's just on old Raptor model (One of my favourite GW sculpts in fact) I had a WIP shot of it around somewhere taken on my old camera, will see if I can fish it out.

@Harry. *laughs* Ta. You're not the first and certainly won't be the last, just not everyone's cup of tea. As long as get the raised eyebrow or a quiet "wtf?" ;)

Anyway here was the lord way back when. Before he was broken apart, repinned, rebased, primed and basecoated, stripped and repinned/based again. Bloody thing is cursed!

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/WIP_old.jpg

And he's is what is coming hopefully before I move on Thursday.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Painting%20Log/wings_wip_1.jpg

brambleten
18-05-2008, 17:04
brilliant painting. i actually like the colours as much as the painting.
the one thing i noticed on the list was the FW Keeper of Secrets. cant wait to see that in this scheme.
well done and keep going

Lavieth
18-05-2008, 19:16
I also really like the colours. How do you get your green so vibrant?

mrtn
19-05-2008, 01:27
I also really like the colours. How do you get your green so vibrant?

I suspect that it's warpstone dust in the paint. :angel:

EmperorNorton
19-05-2008, 15:40
Absolutely stunning!

kishvier
19-05-2008, 22:43
How do you blend the colors? My blending never turns out that well.

Metal Fingered Villain
19-05-2008, 23:47
This stuff is looking ace, the crisp bright painting is a treat to the eye. That winged lord is looking sweet.

AbyssRaven
20-05-2008, 13:06
Amazing Job!

i love the wing conversion on the lords back

I dont think i even need to mention the blending as so many others have, but i will any how
Im envious

rev
20-05-2008, 15:32
I must confess, when I saw the two blood bowl players side by side I thought that the most recent one was computer generated!

I then scrolled down and realised my error - its simply seamless!

wow!

rev

mr.silly
21-05-2008, 01:38
whats your recipe for NMM? It looks great.

zealot!
21-05-2008, 21:31
amazing is the only word i can think of. ill be watching.

Arkzein
31-05-2008, 23:48
The log is going to change somewhat after a while when I get going again. I'm back In Ireland and having a bit of a clear out (Well, really the only things I'm actually keeping are some clothes, books and my camera!) and when I got as far as the Warhammer miniatures after a hard think I've decided to get rid of the lot on ebay. I've become more of a single piece painter than plugging through rank and file, can't stand it. Going to start just picking up the odd model, from wherever, that I fancy the look of.

The one piece I'll perhaps keep will be the lord shown previously, should get around to finishing off what little I have (bit of a wing) and then post a picture of him up soon.

Arkzein
13-07-2008, 21:51
Well here is *maybe* the last mini I'll ever paint, not sure if I'll even just stick to single pieces, and it's in an over exposed picture to boot but now I'm done with it all and stuck them on ebay not going to head back to change that! ;)

Anyway, blatant Plug for anyone who was following this and wants some of the minis:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/arkzein

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Ebay/Lord1.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/Arkzein/Ebay/Lord2.jpg

kishvier
13-07-2008, 22:33
:eek:OMG dood!:eek: How do you just stop like that!? At least give us a step by step of how you blend and color all that amazing stuff! I want to be able to do that since I'll never win the bid for those dudes!

Arkzein
14-07-2008, 21:11
Easy enough to stop, just get shot of it all! :D Seriously though the hobby just demands too much time and I've a lot of other things I enjoy that suffer because of it

Anyway, plenty of step by steps back through the thread I believe. :)

kishvier
14-07-2008, 21:14
Whatever mate, but if you ever want to start again you've got a fan.

kishvier
14-07-2008, 22:52
Well, about time for a new thread to bring my ever growing projects together, hoping with a new gaming club and approach (ie paint for gaming) to motivate me progress and updates will be more often. With over one year and just ten minis finished the last thread was weeping for shame. Thirteen years behind me in the hobby now and every one of those spent as a devotee of Slaanesh with no signs of abating, even after losing me entire force after the first seven, so not likely I'll be changing my mind on them any time soon. Hoping to get all of these completed within the next 2-3 years

What ever happened to the 2-3 years of work man!? I'm disapointed now...

Arkzein
20-07-2008, 09:30
What can I say? It was part of the reason, even with the amount of time I was giving the hobby it was going to take that long. A few hours or a day every so often on a weekend is more what I can give it, produce a couple of single pieces a year just for the enjoyment of it more than anything else.

In any case after the ebay sales finish today I'm through for a while *laughs*. :)

JackelberryCucu
05-01-2010, 22:24
Your paint work is truely amazing, are you sure you don't have god-like powers? amazing stuff

Makina
09-01-2010, 12:55
Epic bump!