PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian Hovels

tcmainprize
06-02-2008, 18:20
I've been sorting through my collection of White Dwarfs of late, cutting out anything of interest and chucking the rest. One thing that I did keep was the scenery workshop about building Bretonnian peasant hovels. Seems as I've got loads of styrofoam left from building Balins Tomb for a commission (I'll be starting Amon Sul soon for the same customer) I thought I'd have a go at some hovels.

I've started off with what i intend to be a small farmstead. One basic rectangular house and a second larger "L" shaped one set around a courtyard of sorts. The larger house will have a ramshackle stable next to it, and there will be ramshackle walls or fences around the courtyard.

The scenery workshop article talked about taking a craft knife to the edges and corners of the stones so they look ruffly cut. I've found that my bread knife sliced blocks are shoddy looking as it is, and also the corners and edges can just be squashed a bit to take off the hard edges. A lot less time consuming than doing it with a knife.

So far I've got the main "core" of the buildings done, with doors and two courses of stones.

Qdeu
06-02-2008, 18:52
This looks interesting. I'll certainly be watching this:D

N810
06-02-2008, 21:53
looks like a good start I'll be keeping an eye on this log. :rolleyes:

Wolf Scout Ewan
06-02-2008, 22:51
Nice start m8! Will be watching!

Ezekiel Celes
07-02-2008, 09:54
Looking promising so far, but if I may suggest one thing, make the blocks of your wall somewhat smaller, seeing as it's a peasant piling up the blocks he found in his fields while ploughing it and during harvest. A mere farmer would never be able to pay for such well sculpted large blocks of stone.

Looking forward to see more progress on this one!

Jedi152
07-02-2008, 10:06
Consider me subscribed!

It's always good to see the Bretonnians get some love.

tcmainprize
09-02-2008, 14:59
Bit of an update. I've got the walls up to roof level, with window shutters added too. They're all closed, I'll try some open ones if these turnout alright and I do some more hovels in the future. I've started doing the roof beams and timber supports and stuff this afternoon. Hopefully get them finished tommorow.

I'm quite pleased how its turning out so far. White Dwarf definatly needs more scenery articles like the one I'm following to build these.

A13X
10-02-2008, 06:50
Wow very good. Like to see where this is going...

Keep it up mate!

Komodo
10-02-2008, 11:59
Good work for now, mate.
Waitin' for you to successfully finish your project.

Grumbeard Starbreaker
13-02-2008, 17:18
I realy like your hovels man they realy look great!

But you seem to have a fluff problem.
According to Brettonian fluff (Knights of the grail) from Black library, peasents are not allowd to build there houses with stone. That is only reserved for the knights. They may use brick but not stone.

If you dont care about fluff, the go on it looks great!
If you do care then you have made a bit of an error.

75hastings69
15-02-2008, 08:48
That looks great so far. I look forward to seeing this finished.

Steve

tcmainprize
15-02-2008, 13:14
I realy like your hovels man they realy look great!

But you seem to have a fluff problem.
According to Brettonian fluff (Knights of the grail) from Black library, peasents are not allowd to build there houses with stone. That is only reserved for the knights. They may use brick but not stone.

If you dont care about fluff, the go on it looks great!
If you do care then you have made a bit of an error.

Cheers for all the positive comments.
Can't say as I'm bothered about the fluff, I just liked the look of the models in the article in WD and thought I'd have a bash myself.

I'm on the look out for some faux fur for doing thatched roofs with at the moment so if anyone knows of a supplier. I'm not to concerned about buying way more than I need for the hovels either. I've got a few other projects in mind.

I'll try to get some more pics up at the weekend.

tcmainprize
27-02-2008, 17:31
Well I haven't got any further with the hovels, waiting for some fur to arrive for doing the roofs. I have started on a watchtower, more by way of an experiment to see how well I could use the styrofoam blocks on a curved structure. Seems to be working ok so far.

tcmainprize
08-03-2008, 14:01
Bit of an update. My faux fur finally arrived so I've got the roofs stuck on, looked hilarious before I gave them a trim and painted them with watered down PVA, as you can see from the pics. Looks ok now I've started to slap a bit of black undercoat on though, suitably shoddily thatched. Gonna need a few coats to get in all the little gaps between the blocks though.

My watchtower tower experiment is coming on as well. I've added a few more layers of stones this morning before heading off to cricket practice. Think I've used about 200 stones so far.

Bahir
08-03-2008, 15:31
I love the idea of using the round container to help shape your tower! Brilliant!

OrlyggJafnakol
13-03-2008, 11:08
I love the idea of using the round container to help shape your tower! Brilliant!

More than agreed with. I am so going to blag your idea for my modelling days I have over the bank holiday weekend! All I have to do is find a container tall enough!

Emperors Teeth
13-03-2008, 12:50
Faux fur, awesome. We used furry pencil cases to make the same effect on some Rohan houses once. To make them extra strong and easier to paint we brushed watered down PVA with and against the flow of the fur (to get an even coat all over). This really made life easier in the long run!

Great job overall btw, Looking forward to seeing the tower finished for sure.

tcmainprize
13-03-2008, 14:11
More than agreed with. I am so going to blag your idea for my modelling days I have over the bank holiday weekend! All I have to do is find a container tall enough!

Glad I could provide some inspiration. I used a Bisto gravy granules container if that helps.

Lithian
15-03-2008, 18:46
Gonna need a few coats to get in all the little gaps between the blocks though.

Stick the blocks on toothpicks and paint them black ahead of time, saves a lot of trouble in the end. ;)

Your stuff looks great, keep going. :D

tcmainprize
17-03-2008, 20:27
No progress on the hovels but I've got the tower finished. I've added a post for tethering a horse too, and a water trough to the base aswell. I'll be adding various bits of detail to the base as i go along, I've ferretted out all sorts of Wagon wheels, rats, shields, weapons, barrels etc from my bits draws.

Hoping to get started painting over the bank holiday weekend, depends on if I finish the Amon Sul I'm building for a commission this week or not. (you can see a bit of it behind the tower in the pic). I'm a bit cramped for space at the moment, I'm sleeping on the floor in my work room while I decorate my bedroom.

tcmainprize
14-06-2008, 13:19
Thought it was about time i updated this log a bit. I've not really got much done, been a bit busy with work, and the start of the cricket season. I've got the Hovels and the Tower undercoated but thats it. Was a right task getting in between all those blocks. Hopefully I'll have a bit more time to get on with painting in the next few weeks. Might even update my Night Goblin log too, it has been over a year.

chase the hero
17-06-2008, 11:11
very nice stuff here! I will also probably be stealing your idea for the tower.

Hideous Loon
17-06-2008, 11:36
Looks really nice, man. What's the next step? A church, perhaps? Or some kind of community hall?