PDA

View Full Version : Tales of the Old West Painters.

Harry
17-02-2008, 06:50
Howdy partners.

After seeing Rhamag's thread about 'starting up a posse' I thought it would be fun to start another 'Tale of painters'.

This is the thread to find out how much interest and enthusiasm there is out there for such a project and for folks to sign up and commit to painting up a 'Legends of the Old West' posse in the 'Tales of the Old West painters' threads. (modelled on the Tale of painters projects currently underway. In which painters commit to painting a certain ammount for their chosen armies each month and provide support and encouragement for the other painters involved).

It is also the thread for bashing out the rules.

Rhamags original intention was to take a break from painting armies and try and paint something as well as he could. I think it would be good to keep this as general principal/aim for this thread.

I have learned from the Tale of fantasy and 40K painters that even the commitment to paint 200 points (approx 1 unit) each month is hard to maintain and lots of painters have fallen by the wayside. There was also a tale of Bloodbowl painters that fizzled out after a couple of months.

Given the aim of painting as well as we can it would not seem unreasonable to aim for as little as one figure a month.
Even with this minimum commitment we will still all end up with a completed 12 man posse this time next year.
(Which is a darn sight closer than I will be without the support of something like this! :D)
OR we could go for a ten man posse with two jokers (as in the other 'tales of painters') for when life really gets in the way.

What do folks think. Is a man a month too slow. Should we go for two men a month and and have a finished posse in six months.

If folks want to get more painted they could always paint more than one posse at a time and do a figure a month for each of them.

So ... "Fill your hands you sonuvabitch". (and I will add you to the list below).

Harry
17-02-2008, 06:51
So far we have 10 painters with 13 posses. Yee Haw. :D

Bellarus :
Catferret : Bandidos
Count sinister :Lawmen and Outlaws
Festus : Cavalry : 54mm
Harry : Cowboys, 7th Cavalry and Plains Tribes. Maybe Bandidos:D
JonesRob : Cowboys
Knitemare : Cowboys and Outlaws
Lardidar : Cowboys
Littleleadmen
Paletine Katinka : Lawmen
Rabid Bunny 666 : ?
Rhamag : Lawmen, Cowboys and Outlaws.
Suavely Dun : Outlaws
Warsmith : Outlaws and Lawmen.

Huw_Dawson
17-02-2008, 08:00
Hold on, I'm confused. You haven't actually said what this "Tales of the Old West" is, and therefore I can't jump up and apply, can I? :P

- Huw

Harry
17-02-2008, 08:20
Apologies.

'Legends of the Old West' is a set of games rules produced by Warhammer Historicals.
They are designed to recreate small scale skirmishes between two 'posses' in 25-32mm scale set in the 'old west'.

It works on a gangs system much like Necromunda or Mordhiem. In much the same way as you pick a 'gang' in these sytems you pick your 'posse'. ('Heroes' and 'Henchmen' and other 'hired guns'). You posse can be Lawmen or Outlaws or Cowboys etc. Your posse is about 10 men but can grow with experience if you play campaigns.

There have been a couple of expansions to allow you to introduce Native Americans, 7th Cavalry and Mexican banditos, etc into your games.

Its great fun. If you like cowboy films you will like Legends of the Old West.

Lardidar
17-02-2008, 09:10
I said already I would be bang up for this.

I have some cowboys from foundry and would probably get myself some mexicans from black scorpion.

I think two a month is a great idea .... that way we can all keep up with army commitments and just use it as a little break from the norm.

Just a suggestion but would you consider putting legends of the high seas gangs in too, it may get us a little more interest from people who dont like cowbays but love pirates.

Look forward to it :p

knitemare
17-02-2008, 18:54
I have to get the rest of my posse together, but I'd be up for this. Is it one or two models a month?

Edit: I just ordered the rest of my posse, they should be here mid-week.

Catferret
17-02-2008, 23:21
I have been meaning to convert some Mexican Banditos using Empire Militia and GS. I'm totally up for the one model/month target with 2 Jokers. It would also give me time to catch up on other projects.

When would this Tale be likely to start? I need to buy me some Militia first and payday ain't til the last day of the month. :cries:

EDIT: Just had a look at Black Scorpion. I like some of the Mexicans there. Shall convert some of them instead! Huzzahs, burritoes and tequila all round! :D

EDIT2: Stuff ordered...

Palatine Katinka
17-02-2008, 23:24
I might be interested in this, I've been meaning to convert some stuff for Old West gaming. I wasn't planning on doing that many models though, just half a dozen to begin with but I could pad it out with pretty things. Would the Posse I'd start with + anything I like the look of from Black Scorpion be ok?

knitemare
18-02-2008, 00:18
I might be interested in this, I've been meaning to convert some stuff for Old West gaming. I wasn't planning on doing that many models though, just half a dozen to begin with but I could pad it out with pretty things. Would the Posse I'd start with + anything I like the look of from Black Scorpion be ok?

I don't own the rules yet, but from what I understand a posse is only 5-6 models normally.

Catferret
18-02-2008, 00:30
Mine has 7 including a hired gun but Outlaws/Bandidos are cheap. I think the plan is paint 10-12 so we can expand the posse after we've robbed a few trains. :evilgrin:

Count Sinister
18-02-2008, 00:52
Count me in, Harry! I think one model a month is a nice target - that way, as you say, we can concertrate on quality painting, and, if we want, we can even paint two posses at once (with two models a month in total). It might take me a few months to work up to it, but I might even try to build some Old West terrain and post that up as the Tale continues. Let me know what I need to do - I'll get started on my list tonight!

SuavelyDunn
18-02-2008, 06:17
Howdy Pardners!

Sorry - that sounded really cool to start with - but now I think about it I just sound sad...

Would be up for 1 model per month with 2 jokers - ala tale of painters & I already possess a gang of the Black Scorpion miniatures. Like the idea of allowing Pirates to attract more interest.

Count me in - that is if this Tale is big enough for all of us......

A.

Huw_Dawson
18-02-2008, 11:25
Now I have another thing to think about! I'm already torn between a Flames of War army and a Necron force... darn you Harry! :p

- Huw

Count Sinister
18-02-2008, 12:45
I like the idea of including people painting miniatures for Legends of the High Seas (the new WH historical pirate-type game). As SuavelyDunn points out, having both will attract more readers. I've had a look at those Black Scorpion miniatures too - they are very, very nice. I have my eye on a blister or two of Foundry miniatures, but I may have to add a few Black Scorpions to my wish list too! Looking forward to this Tale!

sigur
18-02-2008, 13:04
What the hell do you think you're doing, Harry? There are Dark Elves to paint and you drift off playing cowboys and indians!!:p

Just kidding. One miniature a month seems sensible enough. Good luck to all you old westerners. I read about this idea in ...that guy's painting log. There were also some pictures of very cool miniatures. Looking forward to see something completely different to the usual Elves/Orcs/Dwarfs/etc. and Space Elves/Orcs/Dwarfs/etc. .:)

Catferret
18-02-2008, 15:42
Come on Sigur, you know you wanna play Cowboys and Indians too! ;)

Rhamag
18-02-2008, 16:58
I don't have a preference either way for 1 or 2 per month. Maybe the thread could be over 6 months?

1) 1 year, 10 models, 1 per month, 2 Jokers
2) 1 year, 12 models, 1 per month, no Jokers
3) 6 mths, 10 models, 2 per month, 1 Joker

... or something else. Any other opinions? I do like the idea of having a "Tale of Legends Painters" including Pirates or whatever.

Whatever happens, it's good to see some PM&T action on something from the fringes of the GW-brand hobby.

JonesRob
18-02-2008, 17:06
Im in Harry :D

Il be going with a generic cowboy posse using black scorpion minis.

been meaning to get these painted for ages!

Count Sinister
18-02-2008, 17:14
I'll be going with two posses, Harry. A lawman posse, with models from Artizan, Dixon's, and Old Glory (although I'll soon be adding a couple of Foundry miniatures to that lot as well), and an Outlaw posse, with models from the same ranges (and maybe a couple of those Black Scorpion miniatures - they are too nice to resist...).

Harry
18-02-2008, 19:18
Well thats not a bad start for 24 hours.:D
Seems like theres more 'wannabe cowboys' out there than you'd think. :D
I will add you all to the list above.

Here are my thoughts at this early stage.

1) Lets make it one mini a month so folks can really give each mini their full attention. But make this a minimum. That way if folks want to paint two a month ... they can. If they want to really crack on and get more painted and not take months over their posse ... they can. It can only serve to motivate the rest of us to see some more completed gangs appearing.

2) Not sure whether to start a new thread each month as I have for the 'Tale of Fantasy Painters' OR NOT start a new thread each month but instaed just let the next one I start (after we bash everything out on this one) be an ongoing thread ... so folks can look back and see the whole process in one place. The last couple of pages will always have everyones most recent work and 'posse so far shots'.

3) I love the idea of pirates (an I am up for both Old West and Pirates) but I feel quite strongly that we should keep them as two separate and strongly themed threads so that as we get into it and folks start building bits of terrain or boats or what not you can find all things 'Western' in one thread and all things 'Piratical' in another. (So, start two new threads similtaneously).

4) We should let folks join in at any stage. It has been one of my biggest frustrations having to turn down folks who have found the other thread and wanted to join in. (But the idea there was we all started together and our armies built up together. The other Tales have quite strict, in a relaxed kind of way). If folks agree with thought 1) then in this tale we will all be at slightly different stages of building up our posse's anyway. So it will not matter if folks join in late and are a few months behind initially.

These are just my thoughts. I am happy to run this however WE decide.

I don't know ...

Maybe you like the way the other Tales have worked with a new thread each month which starts with lots of photos and then continues with WIP for the next month?

Maybe you think we should all start together and agree to only post one mini a month (even if we paint more) so we all build up our posse's together.

You decide. Let me know what you think.

knitemare
18-02-2008, 20:29
At this point I will have 10 models in my posession by the end of february and I'll be able to start on them right away. I'll grab two mounted models (they look awesome) to finish out my 12. That will give me 1 a month for a year or 2 a month for 6 months (whatever the final decision is).

Count Sinister
18-02-2008, 22:14
What you say makes a lot of sense, Harry. If we use one thread, rather than posting a new one each month, then separating pirates and cowboys is probably going to be necessary anyway. Since posses are, by their nature, small, the 'one thread' approach would work, and as you point out it would allow people to chart the progress of the warbands all in one thread. I also like the idea of allowing people to join in whenever they learn about the thread - surely it's going to be noticed by would-be cowboys out there, but maybe not for a month or two. Let them in, I say!
I'm really looking forward to this. When are you planning to kick it all off?

Rhamag
19-02-2008, 00:05
My thoughts:

Painter may enter multiple posses.
1 finished model per month per posse.
2 Jokers in 12 months.
1 thread for WIP, 1 thread for finished models & posses.
Seperate thread(s) for Pirates etc.
Rolling project - no set finish date, so late entrants not a problem
Completion of a posse of 10 in 12 months earns "badge", so multiple "badges" can be won with multiple concurrent and/or sequential posses.

Not sure exactly a "badge" might be, but "prize" sounded even more pompous than "badge". Perhaps a signature link to the thread with a certain text/font/colour. Or something different.

EDIT: And just for fun, every finished model has to have a name, and a few lines of history...

Count Sinister
19-02-2008, 02:46
I have to say, Rhamag, I was way ahead of you with the names/history bit for each model. In fact, I've been thinking about what the little histories might be *before* I start painting/basing, so that I have it in mind while I'm painting.
I like the idea of a badge (in the form of a signature link to the thread) as a mark of having accomplished something significant. I know lots of people are probably saying 'why is painting a posse more significant than painting an entire army'. I'm not saying that, of course, but a posse, like a Mordheim warband, is an intensely personal thing, and I imagine we're going to see people really responding to that.
And Rhamag, I like the idea of two threads, one for WIPs and one for finished models. It makes a lot of sense.
When do you think this might get started, Harry? I have six or seven of my lawmen posse, and about three or four of my outlaw posse - the rest will be ordered tomorrow!

Harry
19-02-2008, 08:07
I think we should crack on.

However there are only 10 days till the end of the month so we might as well let this thread run till then. This will give a few more folks the chance to find us and be in it from the start. It will give folks a chance to buy all those bits and bobs they need. It will mean 'Legends of the High Seas' has a chance to get released and shipped.

Then I will start new threads for each Tale on the first of next month (March 1st). For folks to introduce themselves and their plans for their posse's show us thier unpainted minis etc. Then start painting and use that thraed for WIP.

I can then start a new thread for the finished work on the last day of March. Which can become the new WIP thread once everyone has posted.

This seems to work quite well on the other TOP threads. We changed how we did it after the first couple of months as it was disappointing to see the thread with everyones finished work disappear of the boards after a couple of days before folks had a chance to see it whilst the WIP thread where there was lots of chat and not many pictures stayed at the top of the board. This way visitors to the threads see all the work so far to catch up with what we have been up to at the start of the thraed but don't have to sift through the whole thread to find the finished work.

I do like the idea of 'badges'. Maybe we can use titles. we can all start as 'kids' or 'greenhorns' and progress through deputies and cowboys, etc. to become Trail bosses, sherrifs and Desperados and we are only allowed to adopt our choseen titles as we progress through various posse's (a bit like our titles change with post count). Perhaps we can come up with a generic set?

OR we could earn a price on our head. We could produce a wated poster. (we could even send it out as a certificte to people for completion of a posse) The price on our head could increase with each completed posse. ($100, $200, etc.)

Catferret
19-02-2008, 09:13
It should be ok for me to start at the beginning of March. Hoping my models arrive by then. Just need time to paint the damn things now! :D

p.s. Just for completeness, I'll be using the Mexican Bandidos from the Alamo supplement. Palatine Katinka will be doing Lawmen from the core book.

Huw_Dawson
19-02-2008, 10:42
Hmmmm... Okay folks, I'll need some convincing! I want to see lots of old west minatures to try and convince me to do this instead of a FoW or Daemon (40k) army! Or possibly as well!

Especially as 10 models can't be that expensive.

I hope.

:(

- Huw

Count Sinister
19-02-2008, 15:26
Sounds good, Harry - I particularly like the idea of having a price on our heads the more we get painted! Also, it looks like there will be a good mix of posses as well - important to have a bit of variety. Excellent!

Lardidar
19-02-2008, 15:30
Start of the month is great.

I will be painting my foundry cowboys first but will probably do a Black scorpion posse and a pirate crew in the next year :p

It will be the first time I have held a brush in over a year ... looking forward to it!

Count Sinister
19-02-2008, 16:29
I know the feeling, Lardidar. I haven't painted anything since May of last year. Part of the problem was moving from Ireland to the USA - to the heart of the Old West, ironically enough! Well, I've just ordered a few models, including a Sheriff to lead my lawmen (the Black Scorpion sherrif - lovely model), and some townsfolk to back him up. In the same Foundry blister as the townsfolk there were a few 'toughs' who will see service in my Outlaw posse as well. I also got a blister from Artizan, but that's a surprise for later in the tale. Suffice to say one of them will be a deputy marshal in my lawman posse, the other a dangerous desperado in my Outlaw posse. Looks like they've got them some shootin' to do...and some maimin', and some hellraisin'.

Festus
19-02-2008, 18:43
Hi

Well, count me in, Sheriff, I will do a slightly different scale, though, as I will paint 54mm.
This is the scale I've already started to dab in a bit, so I can use a few of those models and brush them up again for this thread...

Great idea.

Festus

Harry
19-02-2008, 20:56
@Catferret
I was considering some bandidos myself but do not have that supplement you could not just list the different catagories of Heroes and Henchmen could you?
(Better still send me a copy of those two pages. :D)

Thanks for the info ... I will update the list.

@Huw Dawson.
I would start with Foundry, Artizan and Black Scorpion. (Not a bad place to start for pirates either).

@Festus.
Excellent.
I am interested to see the minis you intend to paint. (not seen any 54mm cowboys before). Can you give us a link.

Huw_Dawson
19-02-2008, 21:39
Cheers Harry! There are some nice minatures in Foundry's range...

- Huw

Count Sinister
19-02-2008, 22:06
There are some really nice miniatures in the Foundry Old West range - I'll be picking up some of them later in the thread to add to my posses - in particular for my Outlaws. I have to say, I was very tempted to do a Plains Indians posse as well, and aTong gang, but I'll stick to the 'classic' lawmen and outlaws for the Tale. When can we start, by the way, Harry? I've already started getting my bases ready, and I'm itching to start painting!

Leinad
19-02-2008, 22:08
Mind if I join? I recently purchased a outlaw gang, I'm using figures from Artizan, and this would give me the motivation to get them painted.

Catferret
19-02-2008, 23:41
Harry: I think Palatine Katinka has helped out with the Bandido list. ;) He beat me to it coz I was too busy updating my Necro log... *hint hint*

Count Sinister
19-02-2008, 23:47
The Artizan miniatures are really nice, Leinad. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them. I've been working on the bases for my Lawman posse - I want the bases to reflect something of the character of the model. So, one of my upstanding citizens has a drinking problem (so he's not always upstanding, so to speak), and I'll be putting some broken bottles on this base to reflect that. I'll also be putting boardwalks on most of the bases, to indicate that they are 'citified'.

Harry
20-02-2008, 07:36
Cheers Harry! There are some nice minatures in Foundry's range...

Yes and a nice selection of townsfolk and wild west characters if you want to go the whole hog.

There are some really nice miniatures in the Foundry Old West range - I'll be picking up some of them later in the thread to add to my posses - in particular for my Outlaws. I have to say, I was very tempted to do a Plains Indians posse as well, and aTong gang, but I'll stick to the 'classic' lawmen and outlaws for the Tale. When can we start, by the way, Harry? I've already started getting my bases ready, and I'm itching to start painting!
The only problem with the foundry range is that they are 'true 25mm' they pre date the 'heroic scale 28mm and now the even more heroic scale minis like the black scorpion. You might find a few scale problems if you try to mix ranges in the same gang. Having said that I have done a bit of mixing and matching myself.

I have started cleaning up and basing my minis and I will be getting them all undercaoted ready but I am going to try and resist the temptation of getting paint on them until the start of next month. Wouldn't want to get the drop on anyone unfairly.
Having said that I don't want to cork anyones juices who is enthused and raring to go. Just get the 'before' photo's and don't post anything with paint on it too early and no one will ever know.

Mind if I join? I recently purchased a outlaw gang, I'm using figures from Artizan, and this would give me the motivation to get them painted.
Nope, everyones welcome.Welcome to motivation central.

Harry: I think Palatine Katinka has helped out with the Bandido list. ;) He beat me to it coz I was too busy updating my Necro log... *hint hint*
Say no more. :D

The Artizan miniatures are really nice, Leinad. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them. I've been working on the bases for my Lawman posse - I want the bases to reflect something of the character of the model. So, one of my upstanding citizens has a drinking problem (so he's not always upstanding, so to speak), and I'll be putting some broken bottles on this base to reflect that. I'll also be putting boardwalks on most of the bases, to indicate that they are 'citified'.
That sounds great. You can add alot of character to a mini and 'make it your own' with some creativity with the bases.

I am going to start a new thread for Pirates to see if there is a similar ammount of interest in that project.
If you are interested in both look out for the thread and sign express your interest there.

SuavelyDunn
20-02-2008, 17:56
@Harry - please put me down for Outlaws.

Bad guys always have more fun...

:D

Harry
20-02-2008, 18:10
OK Done. DesperadoDunn.

Count Sinister
20-02-2008, 21:40
Nice one, Harry. Desperate Dan. I get it. I don't know why that reminds me, but when I was browsing the various Old West minis, I found some zombie cowboys, and I immediately thought of your Undead army (very, very nice army, by the way). I did wonder, just for a moment, if your love of undeath might lead you to collect a zombie cowboy posse - but it was only for a moment!
As regards the different scales of the different miniature ranges - you're right. It's not so much that they are different sizes (they are all close enough in size, really, with the possible exception of the Dixon minis which have incredibly short legs - what's that about?). No, the problem is - as you suggested - scaling. The heads and hands on some of the model ranges are absolutely HUGE compared to those of other ranges. Not quite certain what to do about that. I'll paint them, and see how they look, I suppose.
Don't worry, though! I'm holding off on the painting until we officially begin the Tale. All I've done is clip off the metal bases of the models (with GW clippers, no less. I won't hear a word said against the GW clippers now - they did the job admirably) and pin the models to the bases.
Which leads me to a question for all the Talers - what sort of bases are you using for your minis? I've used round GW bases (the 25mm 40K ones), not because I like them, particularly, but because when I do the horses for the posse they're going to be on round GW 40mm bases, and at least this way all the bases will be uniform. What are the rest of you doing?
Anyway, just over a week to wait before I can get painting - I'll be ready!

Rhamag
20-02-2008, 22:51
My Black Scorpion minis came complete with a feet-tab and round 25mm slotta-type bases, so I've just used them. I like round bases for skirmish games (moving all my Mordheim Amazons onto them gradually), since it's not often they need to rank up, expecially using the LotR rules, with knock-back etc.

@ Harry: Can you add Cowboys and Lawmen onto my entry. Yes! I actually feel confident enough to paint 3 models per month... Mainly because my Orks and Skaven will now be getting little brush-love. Oh well, it's a cruel world.

Count Sinister
20-02-2008, 22:58
Three models a month! Now, take it easy, Rhamag. None of us want to over-exert ourselves...
Seriously, though, I've been thinking the same thing. The Tong and the Plains Indians just look so *nice* - but I'll resist for the moment.
And Rhamag, as far as the Black Scorpion minis go, that's good news - about the tab, I mean. My sheriff is going to be the Black Scorpion sheriff with the rifle and the pistol (as soon as he arrives he is, anyway), so all I have to do is pop him into a GW round base, and it's job done. I agree with you on that, by the way. For skirmish-type games, round bases look much, much better.
Looking forward to seeing your posses - one model at a time!

Rhamag
20-02-2008, 23:39
I'm not generally a fan of painting, I'm afraid. Modelling I do like, conversions, Ork tanks etc, but when it comes time to add some paint I get bored and start a new project. Makes my choice of two horde armies (Orks and Skaven) seem a bit daft...

3 models a month is about the most I could guarantee to get finished. With my Orks and Skaven, I'm batch painting the full armies, as I crave the uniformity!

Count Sinister
21-02-2008, 00:33
I have to say, I'm bad at getting round to the painting as well. I love assembling and converting, but then, like you, I get sidetracked by other projects. Trust me, three models a month will be a lot for me! I haven't picked up a brush since last May. Oh oh. I just said it. I said 'three models a month'. That means I've already made the unconscious decision to do a third posse. I wonder what it will be?

knitemare
21-02-2008, 00:57
Put me down for one posse of cowboys and one posse of outlaws, thanks!

Harry
21-02-2008, 08:41
Thanks guys I will update the list.

I have gone with round 40K bases and 40mm bases for mounted.....
... except with my 7th Cavalry I am going to put them on normal horsey bases so they can rank up in a column of two (or other formations) I could not get them to look 'tight' enough on the 40mm round bases.

On scale ... I have generally gone with the bigger figures as heroes and let the smaller foundry ones be henchmen.

Lardidar
21-02-2008, 13:04
Hey all,

Well I dug out my models and found out I have 9 lawmen and 8 mexicans.

Harry if you could change me to lawmen and outlaws (mexicans) then that would be great.

Also any of you that are up for the high seas log too, I had a flick through the book today and it is oh so very sweet. Rules for ship on ship action, boarding, mutiny .... I am ordering my copy this weekend but it looks to be a very nice read. Oh and the painted mini's are STUNNING!

I am leaving my figs in little plastic bags until we start the tale .... I will be using either 40k round bases or 2p coins as bases are now a bitch to buy in the random bags.

Catferret
21-02-2008, 18:55
We all doing Mexicans? Ace. :D

Should totally organise a Tale of Old West get together. Bunch of games, mexican restaurant then an evening of Mexican beer and tequila! Last part would be over 18s only. Obviously... :p

Count Sinister
21-02-2008, 19:32
That sounds like a great idea, Catferret - if only I didn't live in the U.S.! A really good mix of posses here, which is also great. It should mean that there will be lots of variety in the models, as well as in the painting and the basing. I haven't touched any of the models with paint yet - I'll wait until the starting gun for that! - but I have started to get them ready for painting - bases, and so on. Do other people have their minis yet? Are we waiting to show pictures of what we're using, or is this thread going to be used for that as well?

Catferret
21-02-2008, 19:50
I think a few of us are still waiting to receive our orders before we can post pics but there's no harm in folk posting what they will be working on I think.

Festus
21-02-2008, 20:08
Hi

I think it will be Cavalry, then, but as this needs just a few minis, I might splash a few Lawmen in between - or Mexicans - or ... well...

...let's just say Cavalry for starters ;)

FEstus

warsmith si
21-02-2008, 21:33
This might motivate me to get my posses done! ;)

Put me down for Black scorpion Outlaws and Lawmen :)

Id like to have a go at some western buildings too :D

Simon

Count Sinister
21-02-2008, 22:16
Excellent, Warsmith Si. I really want to do at least a couple of buildings too. I love making terrain, and it'll be something new to do a Western town. And more Black Scorpion models! Excellent. They really are nice sculpts. Maybe I'll get a few more as the Tale progresses...

Harry
21-02-2008, 22:26
I think a few of us are still waiting to receive our orders before we can post pics but there's no harm in folk posting what they will be working on I think.

Nooooooo! save the pics for the new thread. Don't spoil the suprises. :D

This threads is just to express an interest.
There won't be much happening on the new thrad for a while until we start to get stuff painted so pics of what people plan to paint will give us something to talk about.

@Warsmith si.
Welcome. I have added you to the list.

I will defo be buidling some buildings. :D

Count Sinister
21-02-2008, 22:31
Right you are, Harry! As it happens, since I've never photographed a mini before, I've been putting it off anyway. Also...there's a good chance that my sherrif and deputy will arrive before the end of the month, so I'll have the whole posse to photograph. Any tips, anyone, on taking photos of minis? I know to use the 'macro' function, and have read about having a white background (a curved piece of paper or card so there are no hard shadows), but what about lighting?

[Edit]: By the way, the name's John. I like the idea of being called 'the Count Sinister', but I realise it takes time to type. Also, since joining Warseer, my old e-mail address has become defunct. If you need my e-mail address for any reason, just PM me and I'll send it to you. And Harry - you'll be making some buildings too? Excellent!

Harry
21-02-2008, 22:35
As much natural light as possible.

I never bother with fancy lighting set ups and get great pics with good daylight.

What camera have you got?

Count Sinister
21-02-2008, 22:41
Hey, Harry. It's a Lumix (Panasonic DMC-FX07), and natural light I can do - just not at the moment, as we had a pretty big ice-storm here in Kansas last night!

Harry
21-02-2008, 22:49
OK you are laughing. You will be able to fill the frame with a single mini with that bad boy. Macro setting, point and press.

I haven't seen decent snow for years ... not since I was a child.
But an Ice storm does not sound like fun fluffy stuff.

Count Sinister
21-02-2008, 23:00
Excellent! Thanks, Harry. Point and Press for me!
As for the ice storm - no, this isn't the soft and fluffy stuff, although we get that as well. A few weeks ago we had 6 inches of snow, and the college where I work called a snow day. I'd only heard about snow days in the movies! Now that I think of it, maybe I can give the posse snow bases - that would make a nice twist. We think of the Wild West as being dusty and hot (which it can be, of course, in the summer), but the winter can be cold and snowy. Will have to think about that one...

Rhamag
22-02-2008, 01:20
A nice bunch of folk here already. Good stuff. I'm going to try to get Judge Reynolds finished before the main thread kicks off, then post in there along with everyone else.

Count Sinister
22-02-2008, 02:44
Excellent, Rhamag. Looking forward to seeing the Judge with a coat of paint on him!

Harry
22-02-2008, 06:35
A nice bunch of folk here already. Good stuff. I'm going to try to get Judge Reynolds finished before the main thread kicks off, then post in there along with everyone else.

There really is ... and I am sure more will join us as we continue. I would just like to say thanks for providing the inspiration for this project. I am Really looking forward to some rootin , tootin, shootin fun with this.

However ... In 'The Quick and the Dead', Gene Hackman shoots any man who draws before the clock strikes ... lucky for you I am one of the good guys ... I guess seeing as you provided the inspiration for all of this and you were doing this anyway before I started this thread ... we can let you off.

Joking aside ... let me say again. I don't want to stop anyone from starting painting. The idea of this thread is to get folks painting. :D
Don't waste the interest and enthusiasm if you have got it. Crack on!
(just get a 'before' picture of the unpainted mini for the start the thread and then post what you have got painted once everyone has had a chance to introduce themselves/their Posse).

knitemare
22-02-2008, 15:00
Received my models from Black Scorpion yesterday. I'm going to put them on bases before the new thread starts, but I'm not going to prime them until this officially begins.

Is the start date March 1st?

Lardidar
22-02-2008, 15:36
I belive so.

How long from order to door was it? I placed my black scorpion order yesterday so was just wondering.

Palatine Katinka
22-02-2008, 15:49
I literally just got an email saying my order is delayed due to high demand. The release of Legends of the High Seas has them snowed under, Pirate Girls 1 is especially in demand. Should be getting stuff for myself and Catferret within the week though.

Count Sinister
22-02-2008, 16:34
Pirate Girls should always be in demand, as far as I'm concerned!
But you're all absolutely right - there is a good group (about a dozen, I think), and it's clear that everybody is eager to get started, which is also a good sign.
Like Knitemare, I'm going to base my posses, but also like Knitemare I won't even prime them until the first of March - a little less than a week away now! I'm tempted, though, to put together a building or two, maybe. Just one tiny, insignificant little building?
And Harry - I like the reference to The Quick and the Dead. Nice one! It should be an unwritten rule that we have to get a Western quote or reference into as many of our posts as we can!

Lardidar
22-02-2008, 17:04
I got that Email too ....

I too will be looking to make a few buildings .... maybe a saloon with a roof that comes off so you can bar fight in it, I also want to find a nice stage coach.

I want to have everything I need to play any scenario in the book.

Catferret
22-02-2008, 17:16
I vote for a raid on Starbucks to acquire many of those wooden stirring thingies. They make great planks for wooden buildings.

That and I like coffee and the attractive wimmins that serve it. :D

Count Sinister
22-02-2008, 17:27
I'm sort of thinking along the same lines, Lardidar. I've even been looking at the stagecoach models that are out there and thinking 'ok, not this month, and maybe not next month, but the month after...maybe?'
And Catferrit, I love the idea of raiding starbucks for coffee stirrers - they need somebody to strike back at them after having oh so quietly taken over the world. In fact, I've decided. One of my models is going to have a tin coffee cup in his hand, and a six shooter in the other!

Harry
22-02-2008, 18:36
I got a really nice stagecoach years ago. I think it was Dixon Miniatures.

I will use this thread as an excuse to get that built.
I have some covered wagons as well somewhere. Just need to get them in a circle and I am all set. :D

EDIT: Oh ... may I recomend wooden spills for planking. Cheap as chips and a nice texture for painting.

Count Sinister
22-02-2008, 19:09
Covered Wagons! Excellent! Yes, that might be it, Harry. Dixon miniatures may have had a stagecoach on its website somewhere, although I'm also thinking (but I could be wrong) that I saw something on Foundry. Hmmm. I wish I could remember. But before I start worrying about that, it will be Outlaws, Lawmen, and Wild West buildings for me.

Catferret
22-02-2008, 19:13
Is the scenery building part of the tale now? A 2-part submission or something? Build one month, paint the next?

Count Sinister
22-02-2008, 19:18
Hmmm. That sounds intriguing, but no, Catferret, I think it's just some of the beardy terrain-building types realising how much fun it would be to build a few buildings as backdrops for the minis - and to use in games, of course. And one of the terrain-builders would be me. I really love building terrain. In fact, maybe I'll post up some shots of some of my Mordheim terrain by way of example - and as a way to test the camera before I start taking photographs of minis for the Tale!

knitemare
22-02-2008, 19:45
I ordered from thewarstore and got my models in 4 days. Great looking stuff too, I'll post a picture when the new thread is started.

Catferret
22-02-2008, 19:48
Well, I haven't made terrain for ages but will have to for Legends of the Old West. Gotta have something to shoot Palatine Katinka's Lawmen over. :D

I shall post of pics of anything I make when I post pics of my posse.

Count Sinister
22-02-2008, 20:13
Excellent, Catferret - looking forward to seeing the terrain. And knitemare, my stuff arrived from the warstore today as well - it could only have taken two or three days. Excellent service. However - and this has nothing to do with the Warstore, and everything to do with the fact that I got models/blisters from a number of companies - I am definitely running into scale issues. The Black Scorpion miniatures are very, very tall - compared to anything else that I have, at least. Fortunately, I only got one Black Scorpion mini (the very excellent sherrif), so we'll see - I may just have to get a blister of Black Scorpion minis down the line...
I got a blister from Artizan (nice sculpts, and about in the middle scale-wise) and a blister from Foundry, and there's the problem. You said it Harry - the Foundry models, while they are beautifully sculpted, are small. Don't quite know what to do. Most of my posse are Artizan, as it happens, with just a couple from either Old Glory or Dixon's (but I think they're Old Glory), and they scale up pretty well alongside the Artizan models. My lone Foundry model in there looks tiny. But then, he's going to be an upstanding citizen - a shop-keeper, to be exact - so maybe I could just say that he's short? Might be fun. One problem remains, though - still no sherrif. I'll forge ahead and think about getting another Artizan blister in a month of two. I have six of the basic seven models in the posse, though, so plenty to be getting on with. I will add more as the Tale progresses - and build my second posse, of course! And make those buildings. And think about some pirates... Oh dear, it never ends, does it?

knitemare
23-02-2008, 00:06
@Count Sinister: You could simply say he is a legendary sheriff of some type. His awesomeness makes him seem taller.

Catferret
23-02-2008, 00:15
Just call it perspective. ;) Make him lead from the front and nobody'll notice. :)

Rhamag
23-02-2008, 00:53
For the record, Judge Reynolds will (probably) not be part of my posses for the tale. If he's finished by 1st March, he will be a tester model. If he's not finished, I'll post a pic of where he's at and just add him on top of my models for that month. No fear, Harry, I'm not one to try to get a head-start on the others!

Something I suggested earlier in this thread was to make everyone name their entries and add a short bio for them all. What's the general feeling on this? I just thought it'd add a nice touch.

Count Sinister
23-02-2008, 01:58
I agree, Rhamag - I think it would add a nice level of detail to the Tale. And Catferret and Knitemare - you're right, of course. I could just say that he's very tall/famous/awesome/close, because it is such a nice model. However, he is (literaly) twice as tall as the Foundry guy. Maybe I could just use a different model for the Foundry guy. Hmmm. Must think. Actually, sleep first, then think.

Catferret
23-02-2008, 02:14
Thinking is overrated. :D

I'm personally not a fan of the Foundry stuff but it comes down to your choice in the end. As long as you have some models to paint and play the games then you're sorted.

Harry
23-02-2008, 07:06
For the record, Judge Reynolds will (probably) not be part of my posses for the tale. If he's finished by 1st March, he will be a tester model. If he's not finished, I'll post a pic of where he's at and just add him on top of my models for that month. No fear, Harry, I'm not one to try to get a head-start on the others!

Something I suggested earlier in this thread was to make everyone name their entries and add a short bio for them all. What's the general feeling on this? I just thought it'd add a nice touch.
I was just pulling your leg.

Definitely. If you check out the Tale of fanasy painters you will see how the posting there works.

We post the name of the unit, a bit of background, we write a couple of lines about the painting, the basing and we talk about the highs and lows of painting each unit we post.

The descriptions of the painting and basing avoid a whole lot of questions about 'how did you paint that'. The 'highs' and 'Lows' allow you the share in the experience of the other painters in the tale. The background is essential for understanding the concept of the unit and the thinking behind it. It has added to my enjoyment of the other painters enormously being able to read all about their work.

I see my posting on this thread being very similar to that.

I could just say that he's very tall/famous/awesome/close, because it is such a nice model. However, he is (literaly) twice as tall as the Foundry guy. Maybe I could just use a different model for the Foundry guy. Hmmm. Must think. Actually, sleep first, then think.
I have done this and made the bigger minis the Heroes and the smaller the Henchmen. But at the end of the day ... some minis are just not going to work together. I love the Foundry stuff. But, fact is that Foundry stuff is true 25mm the Black Scorpion stuff is 32mm and Artizan's stuff is somewhere in the middle a 'heroic scale' 28mm

If 25 mm model is six foot tall. Then a 32mm model is would be nearly 7ft tall. But as has already been said the real probelm is not the hieght, people are different hieghts it is the scale. A gun is a gun. Or should be. But obviously a Black scorpion sixshooter or rifle is half as big again as a foundry sixshooter or rifle.

I guess its up to individuals to decide how much this bothers them.

Catferret
23-02-2008, 07:21
I suppose a larger scaled gun could represent a heavy revolver? Just an idea.

Danny76
23-02-2008, 11:21
Thinking is overrated. :D

I'm personally not a fan of the Foundry stuff but it comes down to your choice in the end. As long as you have some models to paint and play the games then you're sorted.

i don't much like the foundry stuff either.
Black scorpion all the way!

I'm still undecided as to whether i will be in this Tale (and the High Seas one), as i'm not sure when i'd be able to get the models by.

There are 2-3 of us where i'm from who are definately interested in one or both of these. My girlfriend being interested in the pirates and my friend being a long time fan of the Wild West genre, so if i can get them convinced to go for it then it'll give me more enthusiasm for the project.

Are they both starting on the 1st March?

Harry
23-02-2008, 11:45
I will start a new thread for the official start on the 1st March.

However, both Projects are going to be 'rolling projects' without all the fixed deadlines of the other projects ... so folks can join whenever they like. It will not matter with these if you are not in it from the very start.

LittleLeadMen
23-02-2008, 12:54
Last summer I went NUTS and got a lot of wild west figures. I painted up a decent amount, as well, but still have at least 100 figs waiting to be painted. Count me in, although I am not sure which posse I want to start with.

Count Sinister
23-02-2008, 13:44
Excellent, LittleLeadMen - that's a whole lot of posse. Ok, out loud that didn't sound quite the way it sounded in my head, but you know what I mean.
And, yes, Harry, that's really the problem - the scaling issue. No, all it means is that I'll have to order another Artizan blister or two (terrible shame, that...) as the tale goes on. And maybe another Black Scorpion blister (they are such nice minis. Another terrible shame, that...). And maybe another Foundry blister (I like Foundry minis a lot)... I know I should think about it, but as Catferret points out, thinking is over-rated! So, maybe I won't think about it, and without warning, one day I'll just order stuff. That sounds like what I do at the moment, so nothing new there, really!

Festus
26-02-2008, 16:50
Hi

Well, I am itching to post the first few piccies - and to see a few to get me in the mood as well.
And it seems it could generate a bit more interest still if there is eye candy to go along with well chosen words ;)

How about starting the actual project thread now and count March as the first month?

Festus

Huw_Dawson
26-02-2008, 16:55
Argh!

At the moment, I have been piled under a large amount of money allocation. Hence, I'd have major problems buying even a single minature! (Currently my next three weeks's "pay" are shoved into other more important things)

THEN, I have a strong desire to do an Ork army!

So I probably will have to simply watch... ah well. I might get another opportunity later on this year, though.

:)

- Huw

Harry
26-02-2008, 16:57
@Festus

Three more days and I will start the new thread and folks can start posting what they are up to.

Lets all keep calm. :D

Count Sinister
26-02-2008, 19:33
Three more days? Well, that takes us up to the weekend (painting time!) so that works for me. I'm really looking forward to this. I've been sizing up my paints, and I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the GW paints don't have the 'natural' look I want for my posse. Hints or tips, anyone? There are a few of the browns that will work, with some encouragement, and I have a few Valejo paints that I know will see a lot of use, but are the rest of you struggling with this issue too, or is it just me?

Lardidar
26-02-2008, 19:55
I have all the Vallejo 'game' and a few GW .... I have not even begun thinking about scheme yet.

I have some old west and pirate stuff on order from black scorpion along with some glue and 25mm bases (damn you GW for your stupid mixxed bag)

I got an email saying it has been delayed but should be shipped this week, so you may just have an intro with a pic of some loose old west minis from me until the order arrives.

Looking forward to it though ... yee haw/ arrrggh!

Rabid Bunny 666
26-02-2008, 20:09
Im tempted to join, is it still open for signing up?

Also, does it have to be a group, because i was thinking of trying to sculpt the whole band (!)

Bellarus
26-02-2008, 20:18
Hi Harry

As per pm I'd love to join in with this. Let me know what you need. Do I need a name for my posse?

Bellarus
26-02-2008, 20:21
Count
I moved away from GW paints years ago when Wargames foundry released their range. Their latest stuff has lots of 'natural' looking shades (tan, leather, rawhide, conker, etc). Never tried the Vallejo stuff but have won a couple of painting competitions over the last few years with the foundry stuff.

Harry
26-02-2008, 20:30
@Littleleadmen
Did the same thing myself. Your just our kind ot NUTTER. Your in!

@Rabid bunny
Does not have to 'be' anything other than a wild west theme. Your in! :D

@Bellarus.
Howdy partner. You don't need anything just yet other than lots of ideas and enthusiasm .... when I start the new thread on saturday you can tell us all about your posse then.

@Count Sinister.
Try mixing a little grey into colours to dull them down if they seem to bright.

Catferret
26-02-2008, 20:39
If mine and Katinka's order doesn't arrive in time, we'll post pics of bits of Starbuck's wooden stirrers we're gonna use to make terrain with! :D Better than nothing. ;)

sigur
26-02-2008, 20:58
...we'll post pics of bits of Starbuck's wooden stirrers we're gonna use to make terrain with!...

I absolutely can't wait to see those. They may lack details but they have their own certain charme and the upcoming stirrers releases along with their new army book next year are said to look fantastic!:p

Seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing your first few ToOWP minis, guys.

Count Sinister
26-02-2008, 22:35
Bellarus - thanks for the info on the paints. Only problem - I can get Valejo paints in my local gaming club, which means I'd have what I need in time for the Tale. Ordering from Foundry would take more time - but I'll check out their range!
Harry - good idea. Hadn't thought of it, and I'll certainly be giving it a go!
Catferret - terrain! Brilliant! For your first post (if the models haven't arrived) you could through together a pile of stirrers and say that it's a campfire! Hope the minis arrive soon, though.
Lardidar - I haven't really started thinking about a 'theme' yet, other than deciding that I will probably unify the models by giving them all one item of clothing using the same colour. In fact, I imagine that painting them as individual models will mean that they will all look quite different, which is fine by me! Looking forward to seeing yours.
In fact - looking forward to seeing everyone's!

Rabid Bunny 666
27-02-2008, 00:57
@Rabid bunny
Does not have to 'be' anything other than a wild west theme. Your in! :D

Goodgood, i have Thursday off, sounds like a plan :D

Gen.Steiner
27-02-2008, 10:15
I'd join, but have no money. If I had money, I'd be painting up some Foundry townsfolk because I prefer them to anything else! :p I will keep watch with interest tho'. :)

Rabid Bunny 666
27-02-2008, 12:12
just been googling merrily away, and it looks like lawmen for me, had a funky idea for one already :evilgrin:

Count Sinister
28-02-2008, 13:44
Well, in order to keep me from painting any of my posse, I did some converting instead. Unfortunately, it means I missed the sunny weather so still don't have photos. There's still time, but I'm telling you, I can't wait for the Spring.
And here's a converting question - has anyone ever tried to make a cowboy hat out of green stuff? If so, can you give me any tips? I've been thinking it might actually be better to make it (in two pieces) separate to the miniature, and then when it's set, trim it and glue it on.
Anyway, lots of ideas have been coming to me for names/characters/modelling/bases, so I'm looking forward to Saturday!

McMullet
28-02-2008, 14:46
Cool idea for a project. If I had the time I might join in with my wild west-themed Inquisitor Warband, but I don;t, so I won't.

Count Sinister: I made a hat, this is Inquisitor scale but it should work for you too. There are some pics here: Inquisitor @ Fotopic.Net (http://mcmulletsminis.fotopic.net/c1029046.html) - I could've sworn there were some WIPs as well but I must've taken them down. I made the hat in three pieces: Firstly the brim, then the crown, then blended them together with a hatband.

Count Sinister
28-02-2008, 16:32
Thanks, McMullet - that will help a lot, I think. Also - very nice model, and a great idea for an Inquisitor retinue (the Western theme, I mean). Have you seen Firefly? I love the sci-fi/western mix in that series!
But yes, I was thinking brim and crown, but your idea to cover the gap with a hat band makes a lot of sense - and should look really cool as well!
It's a shame you won't be joining us on the Tale - but maybe later in the year?

Chris_Tzeentch
28-02-2008, 17:24
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s287/Chris_Tzeentch/Western/DSCN0274.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s287/Chris_Tzeentch/Western/DSCN0273.jpg

These are Artizan miniatures, and these were painted by a friend of mine. He did an excellent job!

knitemare
28-02-2008, 20:32
Those are definitely very nice. I hope I can do something similar with mine. I'm normally a batch painter, but I'll be spending a lot of time on each of these models. I'm really excited for this.

Harry
28-02-2008, 21:09
Two more days till the shootin starts. :D

Count Sinister
28-02-2008, 21:24
I think most of us are counting the days already, Harry! By the way, is there a particular format you want the posts to follow? I know in other 'Tale of ..... Painters' threads, there seems to be a standard format to initial posts with photos of that month's work, so do you want us to do something similar?
Working on my background for the Lawman posse now, and have some ideas for the Outlaw posse's background too, so that will be included with pics and comments when we get postin'!

Harry
28-02-2008, 21:36
I had thought of doing something similar. Highs, Lows, background etc... Why don't you suggest a format for us to adopt ... and we can kick it around on here, add our thoughts and modify it on this thread.

It will give us something to do.:D

Count Sinister
28-02-2008, 22:40
That might work - after all, we have two whole days to wait before we can start painting!
Let's see...
Model's Name:
Backstory: Who is he/she? How is he/she linked or related to any of the other posse members? Motivation? Character Quirks?
What part of the finished model are you happy with?
What part of the finished model are you unhappy with?
What have you learned for the next model?
What was the hardest part?
What was the one thing that you did to really make the model a character?:

How's that for a start? I've probably overlooked lots of stuff, but let's see what we can come up with. Good idea, Harry!

Rabid Bunny 666
29-02-2008, 00:05
Umm, we don't have to have a finished model by the first do we? Because i've barely started making mine :D

Palatine Katinka
29-02-2008, 01:11
I haven't recieved mine from Black Scorpion yet, unless they arrived today and Catferret has hidden them...:eyebrows:

All I could possibly post would be pictures of Empire Militia sprues that I was thinking about converting but they may well end up getting used anyway, I wasn't really thinking 'Lawmen' when I placed my order but rather 'Oooh! Pretty Cowgirls! And Pirate women too! Awesome!' When they arrive I'll see what I can use and what I'll still need, there'll be plenty of time...:D

EDIT: I just checked my emails and our stuff has been dispatched. Yay! :D Looking at the list they gave of what we ordered, I don't think I ordered a single male figure :angel:. Looks like I will be converting some blokes then!

Count Sinister
29-02-2008, 01:39
No, I don't think anybody's talking about having anything painted by the first! I know I won't. It was more of a general 'what shall we do when we post' sort of thing. Actually, I took some pictures of my (unpainted) posse today so I can post them on Saturday, but sadly it was a pretty dull day (or at least it was during the only 15 minutes I had free to try to take photographs), so the pictures are pretty bad. So, another attempt tomorrow afternoon or even (gulp!) Saturday!
Palatine Katinka - good to hear that those models are on the way, and it's also good to know that I'm not the only person who orders models that way. 'Wow, that's nice! I'll have a blister of that! Oh! And that!', and so on until I have an often random bunch of models that I then have to connect with lots of tricky background! Witness my Foundry/Artizan dilemma. Foundry miniatures - nice but tiny. Artizan - nice but not so tiny at all. Result - don't think I can really use them together. Actually, to all those on this thread - if you're using Foundry, let me know, and I can get this blister your way. It's the 'Toughs and Staunch Defenders' blister. If anybody can get any use out of them, let me know, and they're yours (first come first served would be the fairest method, I think, although I might favour US based Talers as the postage will be a lot cheaper!).
Until tomorrow (or even later this evening...)

Gen.Steiner
29-02-2008, 02:05
Ooh, Count, if you could send them my way I'd be most grateful as it'd mean I could actually join in the thread. :)

I want to do a Foundry-based posse of citizens led by a sherrif (a real posse) or maybe just random townsfolk (armed, natch) so that blister sounds fantastic. :)

If you can't, no worries, I'll just join late! :D

Count Sinister
29-02-2008, 03:09
They're yours, General Steiner! (well, all except one, who's pretty big compared to the others, and therefore might fit with the Artizan models with a bit of help, and he's also my favourite model of the blister!). The rest, though (six models, I think) are yours. PM me with your postal address, and I'll get them to you asap. That's a nice idea for a posse as well, by the way! And I have to say, I really like the Foundry sculpts a lot - very detailed, very clean (almost not flash or mould lines, most of the time), and with a lot of character. Looking forward to seeing them on the Tale!

Harry
29-02-2008, 04:33
That might work - after all, we have two whole days to wait before we can start painting!
Let's see...
Model's Name:
Backstory: Who is he/she? How is he/she linked or related to any of the other posse members? Motivation? Character Quirks?
What part of the finished model are you happy with?
What part of the finished model are you unhappy with?
What have you learned for the next model?
What was the hardest part?
What was the one thing that you did to really make the model a character?:

How's that for a start? I've probably overlooked lots of stuff, but let's see what we can come up with. Good idea, Harry!
Thats a good start.

Starting Equipment.
Starting Points

Umm, we don't have to have a finished model by the first do we? Because i've barely started making mine :D
No. we don't. Or even have the mini's.
Some people will have their whole posse and will post a pic of that to show their plans. Some just the mini they are painting first. Some will start to post bits of background and work in progress as the month goes on for our reading/viewing pleasure Some will start making bits of scenery.

Then the next month (April 1st) I will start a new thread on which everyone involved will, as near the start of the thread as possible, post everything they have painted so far. (adopting the format we are kicking around ... If they wish OR just posting pics of their minis and then disappearing for another month).

They're yours,
I love it when stuff like this happens on these threads.
Well played sir. Good show.

@General Steiner.
I have a few Dixons townsfolk who are good (scale wise) to go with the foundry mini's to make up your numbers. Drop me a PM if your interested.

Gen.Steiner
29-02-2008, 09:52
They're yours, General Steiner! ... Looking forward to seeing them on the Tale!

:) Thank you, Count. I've sent you a PM, and hope to do them justice!

I have a few Dixons townsfolk who are good (scale wise) to go with the foundry mini's to make up your numbers. Drop me a PM if your interested.

PM on the way. :)

Thanks to the both of you for your generosity, it's really quite something! I look forwards to getting some paint on these Townsfolk.

Dead orc
29-02-2008, 10:18
I'll be ordering some pirates tonight, might also grab a few ol' cowboys to join in with this thread too.

Count Sinister
29-02-2008, 12:31
Starting Equipment - of course, Harry, I don't know why I didn't think of that one. And 'reputation'. That's genius! I hadn't thought of that at all. That's what the game is all about, after all. And characters can have a reputation for lots of things - cruelty, card playing, flatulence (Blazing Saddles reference no.1), contrariness (saw the Brad Pitt Jesse James movie a few nights ago - it was excellent), and who knows what else? We're an inventive bunch - I'm sure we're going to see some good entries for that one.
One more day!

[Edit]: I forgot to say, Gen. Steiner - no problem at all. They'll be in the post this afternoon (which is actually this evening/night British time).