PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs and Common Magic Items list

Snowboard_Soldier
28-02-2008, 21:39
Can Dwarfs take items from the common magical items list?

I ask this because on a few occasions I have seen people suggesting that a Runesmith takes a dispel scroll, however I see nowhere in the Dwarf Army Book does it say that Dwarfs can access the common magical items list like it does in pretty much every other Army Book. There is only the option for runic items.

The common magical items list is included in the rulebook, with full descriptions of how each item works, but it does not provide the points costs. It mentions as part of the background and description of the list that it can be accessed by anyone in the Warhammer world, but then again it does not provide the points for this.

My conclusion is therefore no, Dwarfs cannot access the Common Magical Items list. What is everyone else's opinion?

Brodrick
28-02-2008, 22:10
No, Dwarfs cannot take standard magical items.

Generally when somebody mentions that a dwarf character take a dispel scroll, they are indeed referring to a Rune of Spellbreaking, which in essence accomplishes the same thing. It is just a tad more universally understood than the Rune of SPellbreaking.

Snowboard_Soldier
28-02-2008, 22:12
Ah right okay. IIRC it was mentioned to take Master Rune of Balance or a scroll, which led me to think that they meant a dispel scroll.

Seems to me that if you can mention something like the MRoBalance then why not just say the RoSpellbreaking since you are clearly expecting the reader to know what the rune's rules are, or at least have the army book to hand.

gortexgunnerson
01-03-2008, 12:43
Ah right okay. IIRC it was mentioned to take Master Rune of Balance or a scroll, which led me to think that they meant a dispel scroll.

Seems to me that if you can mention something like the MRoBalance then why not just say the RoSpellbreaking since you are clearly expecting the reader to know what the rune's rules are, or at least have the army book to hand.

I think the term scroll for dwarf is acceptable, it essentially just speeds up gaming. As other wise you'd end up saying I'm using my rune of spell breaking, it acts as a dispel scroll.

I think when using magic items you usually give the effect as opposed to the name. e.g. If i had a Rune of penertrating on a bolt thrower its just easier to say that I have the +1 strength rune as it makes it clear to your opponent what the effect is.

I suppose thinking about it name and effect is probably the best option and it clears up misunderstandings and thats what its really about. I dislike it when my opponent is rolling or doing actions that arent explained.

I had a case in the gt when I hit a scar vet with 5 str 6 hits. I assumed it was dead, then my opponent made a load of rolls and told me had survived with out explaining what he was using. At that point it was difficult to challenge and he'd made a series of rolls. So I think any terminology should be explained allong with effects. Good rules knowledge is expected but think it can lead to confussion and detracts from an enjoyable game

T10
01-03-2008, 14:06
I think the term scroll for dwarf is acceptable, it essentially just speeds up gaming. As other wise you'd end up saying I'm using my rune of spell breaking, it acts as a dispel scroll.

(...)

I had a case in the gt when I hit a scar vet with 5 str 6 hits. I assumed it was dead, then my opponent made a load of rolls and told me had survived with out explaining what he was using. At that point it was difficult to challenge and he'd made a series of rolls. So I think any terminology should be explained allong with effects. Good rules knowledge is expected but think it can lead to confussion and detracts from an enjoyable game

Referring to the Rune of Spellbreaking as a Dispel Scroll is misleading. While it produces the same effect it is not the same thing. Multiple Runes of Spellbreaking are inscribed on the same item, meaning that they can be negated or disabled as one whereas the Dispel Scrolls are individual items.

Of course your opponent should clearly explain what he is rolling. Even so, it's a fair guess that he'll be rolling armour saves, ward saves and finally regeneration. But even if it's obvious it doesn't mean it's right.

-T10

01-03-2008, 16:28
Of course your opponent should clearly explain what he is rolling. Even so, it's a fair guess that he'll be rolling armour saves, ward saves and finally regeneration. But even if it's obvious it doesn't mean it's right.

-T10

it may be obvious but let us know were you got it from. not everyone knows every book and items and upgrades.

I make it a habit of always asking what rolls are for. I had a guy once roll about 10 dice four or five times after the last one he said hey these archers hit you 7 times :confused:

people get annoyed but when I see a die roll I say "whats that for? after the third time saying nothing they generally stop.

now on topic. most dwarfs can get better items then the common anyways

T10
01-03-2008, 18:26
I have the habit of informing my opponent what the rolls are for. It's a habit I hope I share with most others. :)

-T10