PDA

View Full Version : Over overkill

Lorquas
29-02-2008, 12:31
Overkill question: a Lord and his Mounstrous Mount charge into Combat and get involved in a challenge. The Lord kills the enemy character. As both the Lord and Monstrous mount attack first (as they charged) does the Monstrous mount still get to attack and build up potential overkill?

Same question but in the second round of a challenge when the Lord attacks before the Monstrous Mount due to his higher initiative? Also in this case if the "challenged" enemy dies can the mount then attack the unit instead?

Thanks

Lorquas

juample
29-02-2008, 12:35
1)Yes
2)No
:D

You only attack if when is your turn to do it, there is any model. (WHICH MODELS FIGHT PG 32)

enyoss
29-02-2008, 13:03
Just to add a voice:

1) Yes. As both models charged, they strike simultaneously.

2) No, the mount may not attack as the only eligible model has already been slain by the time its turn to attack (following initiative order etc.) comes around.

Cheers,

enyoss

theunwantedbeing
29-02-2008, 13:04
Assuming models are removed immediately, the challenge ends upon the death of 1 side of the challenge. So if the dragon is yet to attack, and it hasn't had its turn to attack...then it get's to attack the unit.
Although if the unit hasnt got to attack yet, it can attack the character.

Assuming models are not removed, then your mount can attack the guy and get a bit more overkill bonus(which is how a lot of people play, no reason the mount wont have a go at the dead corpse of the fallen champion is there?).

T10
29-02-2008, 13:41
The overkill example in the book describes a very similar scenario where it is clear that both the character and the mount contribute to the overkill bonus.

-T10

Festus
29-02-2008, 13:50
Assuming models are removed immediately, the challenge ends upon the death of 1 side of the challenge. So if the dragon is yet to attack, and it hasn't had its turn to attack...then it get's to attack the unit.
Although if the unit hasnt got to attack yet, it can attack the character.

No and no!

As the OP has a challenge in a charge in his question, the challenge ends at the end of the combat phase.
In this combat phase, neither the Dragon nor the character may attack the unit and they may in turn not be attacked by the unit.
This is regardless of whether the challenged dies with the first strike or not.

You better re-read p.77, left colum at the bottom of the BRB... :)

Festus

theunwantedbeing
29-02-2008, 14:08
Well I havent slept at all but I dont quite see where you are trying to direct me to festus...
All I see is "no other models may attack them".
That and on the top right hand side just above overkill! it says about the challenge being over once a character is slain and his mount has attacked.

Where does it say the challenge is over only at the end of the combat phase?

I dont play it this, I allow the mounts to get overkill as that's what the example sugguests. Although I am merely stating what the rules actually say, not what they seem to be intending to say.

Could be me being tired I guess, some clarification on this would be nice.
As in quoting the rules and then saying what the rules say to fit your argument.

juample
29-02-2008, 14:30
The challenge is finished when a unit breaks or when a fighter dies, becose you remove the model, and you cant attack it if the model is not there...

PS: I am really shoqued we are still talking on this amd no one has answered me in my last question:cries:
http://warseer.com/forums/fantasy-rules/130279-friendly-units-pursuiit-into-fresh-enemy-picture-situation.html
Even there is a beutiful pic in it!

Festus
29-02-2008, 14:52
Hi

Simple, really: A challenge is for the duration of one combat phase - at least. Should both survive, this can go on for several combat phases.
A challenge does not allow other models to strike at any survivor if their turn comes, as the rules state that they mat not be attacked nor may attack outside of the challenge. BRB; p.77

Festus

Fin-man
29-02-2008, 17:14
Overkill question: a Lord and his Monstrous Mount charge into Combat and get involved in a challenge. The Lord kills the enemy character. As both the Lord and Monstrous mount attack first (as they charged) does the Monstrous mount still get to attack and build up potential overkill?

Yes. P. 77, BRB

Same question but in the second round of a challenge when the Lord attacks before the Monstrous Mount due to his higher initiative? Also in this case if the "challenged" enemy dies can the mount then attack the unit instead?

No. P. 77, BRB. "If a character is killed in a challenge and its mount (monster or chariot) still had no chance to attack in that turn, work out their attacks as part of the challenge. the challenge is then over."

Fin-man

Grimgormx
29-02-2008, 18:38
A) yes, when a character mounted in a monster kills the opponent, the monster gets the chance to attack the killed character, adding the wounds it does (after armour and ward saves from the dead character) to the overkill combat resolution (up to 5)

B) no