PDA

View Full Version : which list is better?

tom1354788
01-03-2008, 13:12
Ok i am building my VC army and have come to a major decision in the way i want the army to work.

I have created two 2250 point lists which are quite diffrent but I like both equally. The first one is more magicy, while the second one is more combat oriantated.

Before you have a look just a few things, firstly the Grave guard have hand weapons and shields instead of Great weapons, while I know the optimum setup is great weapons for various reasons, I just much prefer the models with shields.

Secondly i hate Dispell scrolls so you wont see them in any of my army lists, ever! (well maybe just one in my O&G list)

Thirdly im a strong beliver that all vampires need some sort of decent armour/ward save, as if you lose just one the whole effictivness of you army goes down.

ok list 1

Vamp Lord + Extra Magic Level
Dark acolyte
Master of the Dark Arts
Lord of the dead
Blood drinker
Walachs bloody hauberk

Vamp BSB
Red Fury
Tomb Blade
Flayed Hauberk

Vampire
Infinite hatred
Enchanted shield
Book of arkhan

14 skeletons + Full command - BSB goes here
War Banner

14 skeletons + Full command - Other Vamp goes here
Banner of the dead legion

10 ghouls

10 ghouls

5 Dire wolves

5 dire wolves

19 Grave Guard + Full command - Lord goes here

5 Blood Knights + Full command
Banner of blood Keep

Vargulf

Total =2242 points
10 power dice, 6 dispel dice.

list 2

Vamp Lord
Red Rury
Dread Knight
Walking Death
Dread lance
Accursed Armour

Vamp BSB
Tomb Blade
Flayed Hauberk
Walking Death
Infinate hatred

Vamp
Blood drinker
Talisman of lycni

Vamp
Infinate hatred
Enchanted shield
Book of arkhan

14 Skeletons + Full command - BSB goes here

10 ghouls

10 ghouls

5 dire wolves

5 dire wolves

19 grave guard + Full command - 3rd Vamp in here

19 Grave guard + Full command - 4th Vamp in here

5 Black knights + full command and barding - Lord goes in here

Vargulf

Total = 2238
7 Power Dice, 6 Dispell dice

A few final thoughts, i was thinking of using the winged vamp model minus the wing and replaced with a Banner as my bsb, what do you think? would be good because the skeleton coming out of the ground can represent the tomb blade and lord of the dead bloodline powers.

Was going to use Konrad as the vamp with the blood drinker, exchanging the second sword for a shield, the bats represent the talisman of lycni well.

I hate the black knight models so list 1 is easier to build not having any in, but if i did go with list 2 then i would use bretonian knights with skeletal legs, and grave guard torso's.

so which is better?

tom1354788
01-03-2008, 17:56
any comments one way or another?

Sarael
03-03-2008, 19:48
Always take lvl 3 with your count, if for no other reason than extra dispel dice.

Undead BSB w/o a magic banner?

GG can pretty much wing it w/o a character. Your other basic infantry blocks need characters if you intend them to do anything other than take up Core slots.

In your first list, your Count has a magic weapon. Why? Give him something with a bound spell. If he's going to be the magical focus of your army, then make him good at it.

tom1354788
03-03-2008, 23:01
thanks for the response, firstly i think your right on most of your points.

a very good point about the lord in the grave guard, its probably overkill. However the blooddrinker i dont really think of as a magic weapon, its ability to restore woulds i think is fantastic and the main reason to get it. Think of it defensivly.

good point about the level 3.

why not a vamp bsb without a magical banner? i see it as a free walking death on a hero, most of the magical banners are cheap enough so they can go onto there intended units anyway, ie banner of barrows on grave guard, plus it helps with crumbeling. If you mean as opposed to a bsb wight king, well think there far less flexible than a vamp plus not being a wizard i think is a major downside. plus i HATE the model.

Thanks again though, i will try and put another list together with your advice.

Uriain
03-03-2008, 23:50
I will say the first one, just because I like magic. Dont have the new book yet so dont know what any of that does, but you said magic first, so I say magic as well ^_^. Plus, you got Blood Knights in the first one, they just look cool