PDA

View Full Version : Slaanesh List

Damian
02-03-2008, 00:22
I normally play Tzeentch but for a change I thought next time I play I would try something a bit different. Having never played slaanesh before I would like to hear your thoughts on this list.

Chaos Lord (340)
MoS
Blade of Blood
Pendant of Slaanesh
Enchanted Shield
Steed of Slaanesh

Chaos Sorceror (190)
MoS
Power Familiar
Level 2

Chaos Sorceror (190)
MoS
Dispell Scroll
Power Stone
Level 2

12 Chosen Warriors (352)
MoS
Shields
Full Command
Rapturous Standard

12 Chaos Warriors (254)
MoS
Extra Hand Weapons
Full Command

5 Chosen Knights (300)
MoS
Standard and Musician
Warbanner

2 warrior chariots with Mark of Undivided

5 hounds (30)

5/5 beastherd (55)

5/5 beastherd (55)

My main concern is that there is too little magic to be really do anything as most of the armies I play against have 5-7 dispell dice and 2-4 scrolls, and this list only has 7 power dice. Would it be better to just go for a scroll caddy and use the extra points for an exalted champion? I would swap the normal warriors unit for 25 marauders but don't have the models at the moment - would it be worth getting some? I would basically use the beastherds and hounds to protect my main units from enemy missiles, without having to worry about them fleeing through the units they are shielding and causing them to panic too! If they survive they are also great at redirecting.
Thanks

Yehoshua
02-03-2008, 06:43
Not a big fan of the lord combo generally, but if I were to run him with the Blade of Blood/Pendant, I would give him the gaze of the gods as well, to cut down on cannonball accidents.

7 PD is not worth taking for Slaanesh, in my opinion (as most enemies will have enough dispel dice to throw parity at all of your casts). I'd either take two level 1 unmarked dispel caddies with Fire riding in the chariots, or Slaanesh level 4 with power familiar and GoG and a level 2 with dispel(s) on steeds (Slaanesh sorcerors should generally be riding a steed for the AS bonus and movement).

Alternatively, consider taking lvl 1 beast shamans as your scroll caddies (instead of the sorcerors) to hide in one big herd with FC, 5 gors, and the rest ungors. Otherwise I'd probably drop the beast herds to fit other things.

Warriors statistically are too expensive. If you are going to take them, take ~20 non-chosen slaanesh warriors fielded 5 wide with shields, Musician, and Std running the War Banner, possibly accompanied by an Aspiring Champ with the Sword of Might and AoD.

Two blocks of 23-25 marauders with shields, light armor, and FC are generally preferable to warriors (you would stick a sorceror on steed in each).

If you're still considering Chosen warriors, I recommend comparing them points-wise with similarly equipped Ogres, and then spending your points elsewhere.

The Rapturous Standard is best on the Chosen Knights (because they have the highest total attacks, including the steeds).

If you can fit furies (6-9), they are generally desirable to do something about mages and war machines.

Consider Dragon Ogres with Armor and GW or Minotaurs with GW to act as can-openers.

Damian
02-03-2008, 11:00
Thanks for the advice.
Before I invest in expensive Dragon Ogres or minotaurs, does anyone know if the Beasts will still be allowed to be included in a mortal army in the rumoured White Dwarf list and the following new army book for mortals? Also, what's the story with daemons?

Briohmar
03-03-2008, 16:18
Not a big fan of the lord combo generally, but if I were to run him with the Blade of Blood/Pendant, I would give him the gaze of the gods as well, to cut down on cannonball accidents.

There really is no need for a lord at 2000 points. An exalted on barded steed with Berserker Sword, or sword of might and enchanted shield is perfectly acceptable as an army General at 2K

7 PD is not worth taking for Slaanesh, in my opinion (as most enemies will have enough dispel dice to throw parity at all of your casts). I'd either take two level 1 unmarked dispel caddies with Fire riding in the chariots, or Slaanesh level 4 with power familiar and GoG and a level 2 with dispel(s) on steeds (Slaanesh sorcerors should generally be riding a steed for the AS bonus and movement).

Disregard this bit of fluff. 7 PD and 5 DD is plenty for a 2K Slaaneshi army. Been using it for 6 years now. Rarely have I ever had my magic phase be ineffective. With 7 dice you can cast two really good spells, or two lower spells and 1 big one. I do agree with mounting your sorcerors though as a T4 mage with a 2+ AS is hard to hurt. Your second sorceror should carry a dispell scroll, and I like to have the spell familiar. This means you can have half of the lore on this caster, which is a good thing.

Warriors statistically are too expensive. If you are going to take them, take ~20 non-chosen slaanesh warriors fielded 5 wide with shields, Musician, and Std running the War Banner, possibly accompanied by an Aspiring Champ with the Sword of Might and AoD.

Two blocks of 23-25 marauders with shields, light armor, and FC are generally preferable to warriors (you would stick a sorceror on steed in each).

If you're still considering Chosen warriors, I recommend comparing them points-wise with similarly equipped Ogres, and then spending your points elsewhere.

The Rapturous Standard is best on the Chosen Knights (because they have the highest total attacks, including the steeds).

Good advice here, except the bit. You might also want to look at getting some Marauder horsemen (5 w/ flails and musician @ 81 pnts is a great investment. More to follow, I'm done with work and leaving now.

If you can fit furies (6-9), they are generally desirable to do something about mages and war machines.

Consider Dragon Ogres with Armor and GW or Minotaurs with GW to act as can-openers.[/QUOTE]

Damian
03-03-2008, 17:20
So I swapped the regular warriors for a unit of 25 marauders with light armour, shields and full command, and also gave one of the sorceror's a steed. The second one I'll keep on foot just because I want to use that lovely Avatar of War Dark Elf sorceress.

If I swapped the Lord for the exalted I would be able to fit in a unit of 3 minotaurs with great weapons. Is this advisable, and will they be usable when the new book comes out? The main thing I'm worried about is the loss of Ld9. Is there anything I should drop to get furies? I have also switched around the War Banner and Rapturous Standard.

I'm keeping the chosen warriors just because I like them and while not the most economical unit, they have done alright in my games in the past.

So, are these changes alright?

Briohmar
03-03-2008, 18:43
As far as I know, the new book is still a ways away. Therefore, beasts should be legal for a good period of time. I also think that Chaos will retain its mixable quality once the new book comes out. It always has in the past. Either that or we'll be able to take allied contingents. If you like the warriors, keep them. We just advise with what works best for us. If you're really worried about not having enough magic, why not try an exalted as your general with berserker sword and enchanted shield on steed, an exalted sorceror lvl 4 on steed with gaze, sword of might and power familiar, and a level 2 sorceror with dispell scroll and spell familiar. Then keep the knights as they are, keep the warriors as they are, use the marauders as suggested. One thing I'd really recommend though i if you want screens, then use hounds rather than beastmen. they cost 25 points less for a minimum sized unit, make great screens, can pull out fanatics, can flank and kill rank bonus, I could go on. That gives you 50 more points to put towards something useful. Furies are great, but remember that they're very fragile, and will easily pop if used wrong. Also, as suggested, you really should consider some fast cav. Once you see how good they can be, you'll never leave the wastes without them.

Damian
03-03-2008, 21:05
Thanks for the good advice. Briohmar, just read your tactics article - great stuff.
One last question, one the marauder horsemen is it worth giving them throwing axes on top of flails, as while it may sound good in theory 19 points per model seems a bit expensive when they can so easily be shot up?

Yehoshua
04-03-2008, 03:24
It is, and they are in fact one of the most expensive units (after Fiends and Mounted Daemonettes) to get shot at. However, it's quite a nifty ability. I would say it depends on the level of shooting (non-warmachine, that is) and direct-damage magic you expect to be playing against.

It remains true that 7 PD is not my cup of tea. Blissful Throes is going to be out of range for much of the game, and Torment and Delusions are going to fail at least half of the time before dispel attempts.
Now, if you were going to mix in another lore, it can be worthwhile. E.g., level 2 mage in chariot with spell familiar and lore of fire, drawing the Sword of Rhuin half the time (a level 2 on steed with death isn't bad either).

If you're interested in beast herds, consider running Shamans in them; very cost effective and hard to kill as long as the herd stays back/in terrain.
Shamans are also the cheapest scroll caddies available to Chaos, and beast lore is very handy.