PDA

View Full Version : Vlad armor

Lord_Crull
02-03-2008, 23:09
I was looking over the new book today and I noticed that Vlad Von Carstein does not have any armor ruleswise, despie the model having full plate/ armor on.

grishnakh99
02-03-2008, 23:15
It's just for show. Vlad always realized the importance of looking good.

theunwantedbeing
02-03-2008, 23:22
If his rules say he doesnt have armour, he doesnt have armour.
What the model looks like doesnt really mean a whole lot.

Yes it sucks, but look at what otehr protection he gets, look at what he can actually do, and then see how unfairly cheap he is.
With any luck you'll see that complaining isnt going to help.

Yes the dark elves got a revision, our book sucked....yours clearly doesnt, and we whinged more than you undead lot ever could :P

grishnakh99
02-03-2008, 23:24
You think Vlad is unfairly cheap? Are you serious? I'd only field him for fun. He's not focused; he has abilities all over the place.

Maybe GW doesn't like whingers.

Spirit
03-03-2008, 01:07
Abilities all over the place?

He is lvl 3, a basic ability all lords should have, and no bonuses to magic.

He has a good sword, which you use with grave guard, he gets +1 to combat res, enemies within 6 are -1 ld, and he rerolls wounds against things that cant roll a ld test with a MAXIMUM Ld of 6. (all three of these abilities work extremely well together).

Combine that with a 4+ ward (again, combat) and the fact that if you think he is going to die, you do his combat first, he dies, 2+ gets back up in ANTOHER combat, attacks with I7 and gets all his wounds BACK in the same turn with his sword.

This does not seem like abilities all over the place.

All he CANT do is kill characters with lots of armour, whoopee, use a wight king.

grishnakh99
03-03-2008, 02:08
He's part caster, part close combat. He has no mount, limited to 4" of movement. Beguile is of use against monsters/enemy characters that could choose to ignore the unit he's in, or feed it a junk unit.

Only a 4+ WS isn't that great, with 3W and blooddrinker. No AS to speak of.

High armour is what he'd be fighting normally; 2+ for an enemy lord is at least what they'd have, so a 4+ Save. He's good all around, but if you want combat, put him on a mount. If you want magic, do that. Normally a good army has a cohesive theme, and though he's an 'all around' type of guy, I don't see what kind of army he fits in, unless it's just a generic one.

heinrichvoncarstein
03-03-2008, 10:19
there's a thread for this already

Spirit
03-03-2008, 11:11
If he was put on a mount, you have 2 choices, black knights or blood nights, blood nights are too expensive in my opinion, and black nights are better used with their skeletal steeds. He makes the unit he is with WIN combats, which kills units, if characters ignore him fine, he is going to be slaughtering units and raising you own back. Just because he cant kill 2+/4+ sve characters does not mean he is generalist.

As for "part caster part combat" ALL vampire lords are part caster (lvl 3 is 50 points for ANY vampire lord), period, that means unless you make them full casters, they will be caster and combat.

I really fail to see how a lord that can kill rank and file and help get them to run away, and can only be killed if you kill his 3 wounds in 1 turn, which isnt easy, AND get past the 2+ regenerate. Everyone else dies, he dies and gets back up on your losing flank, and makes it win.

In my view he isn't part caster part combat, because he has no more magic than every other basic lord. He is a combat lord, who can use his GG to kill heros.

Pelskwig
03-03-2008, 11:17
His armour is made of paper mache. It's light, yet offers very litte (read:none) protection.

Gorbad Ironclaw
03-03-2008, 12:18
The problem with Vlad as a caster is that he A) only generates 3 power dice, B) only knows 3(4) spells and is limited to the Lore of the Vampire and C) that he doesn't have any of the "Master" powers so can't raise units over there starting value.
So from a magical point of view Vlad is a pretty poor substitute for a regular Vampire Lord.

He does come in cheaper(by 5 points I think) than if you gave a Vampire the same kit he have, and he gains an attack and a 4+ ward save on top of that so is maybe what, 70ish points cheaper than if you would buy all his things as a generic character, but that does comes at the price of an IMO not all that impressive total package. True, he will be hard to kill, but he is neither as good a fighter or as good a mage as a generic vampire lord could/will be.

Traumaron
03-03-2008, 17:51
If he was put on a mount, you have 2 choices, black knights or blood nights, blood nights are too expensive in my opinion, and black nights are better used with their skeletal steeds. He makes the unit he is with WIN combats, which kills units, if characters ignore him fine, he is going to be slaughtering units and raising you own back. Just because he cant kill 2+/4+ sve characters does not mean he is generalist.

As for "part caster part combat" ALL vampire lords are part caster (lvl 3 is 50 points for ANY vampire lord), period, that means unless you make them full casters, they will be caster and combat.

I really fail to see how a lord that can kill rank and file and help get them to run away, and can only be killed if you kill his 3 wounds in 1 turn, which isnt easy, AND get past the 2+ regenerate. Everyone else dies, he dies and gets back up on your losing flank, and makes it win.

In my view he isn't part caster part combat, because he has no more magic than every other basic lord. He is a combat lord, who can use his GG to kill heros.

Why couldnt you put him on a Nightmare and stick him in a unit of Skelles or GG? He gets the protection of the unit against shooting and the extra armor save for the nightmare (i think its barded in his case). Unless I am missing something here.

Gaftra
03-03-2008, 18:13
Vlad IMO is a decent charecter, not great. You get a lord with only a 4+ ward with an ability to regen wounds. he does come in under pts so youre not losing out. What he doesnt do is give the army any special abilities worth while. His special rule for Isabella is more of a hindrance than what you would gain, not to mention the fact that I wouldnt want Isabella anyway.

Compare him to Manfred and to me there is almost no question of who I would take. Manfred can be mounted, can take additional magic items, all while being very survivable in combat. all by himself he can support casting for an army freeing you up to take CC heros. sorry that was totally off topic.

Lord_Crull
03-03-2008, 20:02
I think you are misunderstanding the point, if Vlad has no armor then why give him some on the model?

Dendo Star
03-03-2008, 20:12
Because GW makes stupid mistakes often, silly.:D

neXus6
03-03-2008, 22:11
Lord Crull...would you rather the model was naked or *shudder* wearing a cape and full ballgown like the previous Von Carsteins?
:D

Dendo Star
03-03-2008, 22:29
Lord Crull...would you rather the model was naked or *shudder* wearing a cape and full ballgown like the previous Von Carsteins?
:D

Ah. I always suspected that about Manfred...