PDA

View Full Version : Big argument on how fleeing from chargers works

moonlightpines
03-03-2008, 13:00
Had a big rules debate the other night and it seems clear to me, but my opponent has called GW and they have apparantly ruled in his favour.

I will explain the situation neutrally:

Unit of Ogres = O
Unit of Glade riders = G

OOOOO
OOOOO

____GGGGG

Ogres charged and glade riders declared flee. WE player stated that the glade riders pivot around thier centre to face the Ogre units centre thereby fleeing at a 45 degree angle, as per diagram in rulebook page 22.

Ogre player said that as per page 19 of the rulebook the glade riders pivot around thier centre to directly away from the Ogres (180 degree turn) and flee in the direction the Ogres are originally facing (0 degree angle). The page 22 rule is only in effect if the glade riders were off to the side of the Ogre unit.

Quote: "you only do that pivot to the centre of the charging unit, if when you draw a line straight forward from the front edge of the unit charging you do NOT hit any part of the charged units bases as shown in the book. basically if its off to the side of the chargers meaning they then have to wheel to charge rather than going forward in a dead straight line."

Who is correct?

Thanks, this could undermine or reinforce how I have been playing for the past 2 years.

juample
03-03-2008, 13:29
Quote: "you only do that pivot to the centre of the charging unit, if when you draw a line straight forward from the front edge of the unit charging you do NOT hit any part of the charged units bases as shown in the book. basically if its off to the side of the chargers meaning they then have to wheel to charge rather than going forward in a dead straight line."

What is this? Where in the rules states it?

I think you flee direction is always centre to centre... why not

Atrahasis
03-03-2008, 13:39
The direction of flight from a charge is always centre to centre (centre of highest US charger in the case of a multiple charge). See the diagram on page 22 :)

Avian
03-03-2008, 13:51
Ogre player said that as per page 19 of the rulebook the glade riders pivot around thier centre to directly away from the Ogres (180 degree turn)
How can he think that this is directly away from the Ogres?

Milgram
03-03-2008, 13:52
where is this quote from? allthough I have no english book, it does not read as if the quote was taken from the book. it sounds more like one of this strange answers from the gw rules guys.

flee reaction is in a straight line away from the enemy - which is center to center.

think of it: also the ogre player will not be bound to move straight up to the elfies when they accept the charge, he may also wheel before or during his charge movement.

T10
03-03-2008, 13:58
When a unit flees from a charge it will move away from the charging unit. The unit is pivoted on the spot to face directly away from the center of the charging unit and then flees forward in a straight line.

-T10

moonlightpines
03-03-2008, 14:24
Thanks for the replies, I thought I was right.

The quote was from the Ogre player, not any rulebook, sorry for confusion there.

Mercules
03-03-2008, 14:31
They pivot to face directly away from the unit they are fleeing from. In this case they head Southwest and NOT South. This is the whole concept around charge redirection. The Diagram on page 22 is rather clear. It even shows how the charging unit doesn't pivot but must wheel as normal unlike Pursuit.