PDA

View Full Version : 2250 VC vs Dwarves

Riftsower
03-03-2008, 19:02
Alright this was a 2250 point game vs Dwarves. I’ve hated dwarves for as long as I can remember, so I tend to jump at the chance to smack them around whenever I can. This is the first time I’ve played against the AoD in over a year and it left me with many “WTF!?” moments.

Our armies were made with a tournament setting in mind, so when you see junk that is worthless vs their opponent (more so VC items) you know why.

Anyway, here are the lists:

Dwarves

Runelord
-GA
-Resistance
-Stone
-Preservation
-Sh
- 2x Spellbreakers
-Spell Eater

Thane
-BSB
-Strollaz
-Grungni
-Guarding
-Oathstone (w longbeards)

Thane
-GA
-Gromril (MR)
-Reistance
-Preservation
-GW
-Oathstone(warriors)

Core:
19 Warriors
-Full command
-Shield and GW

15 Longbeards
-Full command
-Courage
-Determination
-Shield and GW

10 Quarrelers
-Shields

Special:
Cannon
-Forging

Cannon
-Forging
-Burning

15 Slayers
-3 Giantslayers

Rare:
Organ Gun

Gyrocopter

Vampire Counts

Vampire Lord (w/ GG)
+1 Level
-Master of the Dark Arts
-Forbidden lore (Vampires)
-Summon Ghouls
-Von Carstein Ring
-Dispel Scroll

Vampire #1 (Gaze of Nagash, Summon Zombies) (w/ Ghouls)
-Dark Acolyte
-Book of Arkhan

Vampire #2 (Curse of Years, Summon Zombies) (w/ Skeletons)
-Dark Acolyte
-Lord of the Dead
-Helm of Commandment
-Scepter de Noirot

Wight King (w/ GG)
-BSB
-Drakenhoff Banner
- Shield/Heavy armor/GW

Core:
10 Ghouls
10 Ghouls
10 Skeletons
-Standard Bearer

5 Wolves

1 Corpse Cart
1 Corpse Cart w/balefire

Special:
19 Grave Guard
-Great Weapons
- Champion and Standard Bearer
-Banner of the Barrows

Rare:
4 Cairne Wraiths
-Banshee

Vargulf

Terrain

From my point of view the table looked as such. Forest on my left, outside my deployment zone. Large hill to the middle right of the field. Hill in my right corner

Hill in the corner of dwarf deployment zone on my left. A forest next to that, also in deployment zone and a small building way off to the right side of the field, near the large hill.

This left a very open center, and a perfect spot for him to hide his anvil.

Deployment:
From my point of view:

Dwarf:
Flaming cannon and quarrelers on the corner hill to my left. Anvil in the forest, slayers to the right of the forest. Warriors, then longbeards next to that. Gyrocopter sitting behind the warriors a bit. Organ gun next to the longbeards and the other cannon a few inches away from the organ gun.

VC:
From left to right and facing squarely against the dwarf line. Wolves behind the forest, ghouls behind them and another unit to their right. CC behind the right most ghoul unit. Wraiths to the right of the ghouls, grave guard behind them. Skeletons to the right of the GG and back a bit. Balefire CC behind the GG. Vargulf way on the right, using the large hill to block some LoS from the cannons/organ gun.

Pregame:
After looking at the set up, I decided early on that going for the Anvil was pretty much worthless unless I was able to summon a big unit of zombies over there early on. So I set about designs to pick apart his army. I was confident that my GG could sustain itself very easily, and I wanted my much loved, ghoul vs slayers match up. I knew the Vargulf and the wraiths were pretty much screwed this game, between the artillery on the Varg and the Anvil on the wraiths. So I cut them out of the main plan and just hoped they would live.

My opponent is Danko on this forum, hopefully he will read this and put some of his pregame insight in. Oh and maybe he can tell you where you can find the devil, so you too can sell your soul for his dice rolling luck!

So it begins!

Dwarves use the Strollaz run to move all of his blocks up.

Turn 1 Dwarves:

Movement:
The little stunties wanted to get stuck in nice and early, so they rushed forward again, but he forgets to move his gyrocopter. Everything else pivots to shoot at their intended targets.

Shooting:
The normal cannon shoots my balefire CC and takes a wound off. The flaming cannon then shoots my vargulf and brings him down to 2 wounds. Cannon hits my lord, and I fail my “look out sir”. I start to worry as I roll my regen save and thank goodness, make it. Anvil kills 1 wraith. For a first turn it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Turn 1 VC:

Movement:
The wraiths move to the near by forest, the rest of my blocks forms a semi-circle facing where the dwarves will end up the next turn. The vargulf makes a mad dash for the organ gun/cannon.

Magic:
Ah this is where I began to hate/love this game. My rolls for this game were absolutely terrible. That coupled with the dwarf anti-magic prowess, really hurt me. My lord failed to summon ghouls twice but brought 1 wound back to the wraiths. So I took that as a sign and began to Van Hels Dance spam my vargulf into the organ gun. And like the crafty bastard that he is, my opponent used his spell eating rune and devoured my only Van Hels! (not counting the bound). I used my corpse carts to make the majority of my army ASF and he let it go. I then turned to my lesser vampires and hoped they would pick up my lord’s slack. And they did indeed decide to show him up, with a lovely miscast. And with that my magic phase ended.

Things were not looking good. Between the lack of summon, losing vanhels, and my Vargulf about to take a face full of organ gun, I was in it deep.

Turn 2 Dwarves:

Movement:
Slayers get in the face of my ghouls, longbeards angel themselves so if the GG charge them, it would either lead them away from the other dwarven units, or leave their flank exposed for the warriors to flank. The gyrocopter flies in the general direction of my vargulf.

Shooting:
This is where I really start to feel some pain. His cannons fail to do anything, one missing completely, the other being regenerated by the CC it hit. He then decides to use Ancient Power with the Anvil, and gets it. He then shoots d3 units for 2d6 s4 and gets 2 units, the wraiths and the wolves. He then rolls box cars for the number of hits into the Wraiths, and wipes them out. He then kills 4/5 of my wolves. The vargulf takes a heavy 8 shots from the organ gun to his face and dies.

That was nasty. Losing 400 VPs in 1 round of shooting hurt bad and seeing just how nasty that freakin’ anvil is really had me worried. I started to rethink my strategy and wonder if maybe I should focus something into it…

Turn 2 VC:

Movement:
And finally some action! Grave Guard charge the Longbeards, who are immune to fear and terror to my dismay, and hold. Ghouls with vampire charge into the front of the slayers. Lone wolf moves into the forest, 2nd unit of ghouls also enters the forest, preparing to flank the slayers. Skeletons circle around to flank the longbeards in a couple turns.

Magic:
All of my summoning was shut down or failed to cast... but my entire army benefits from ASF thanks to my CCs. The GG then get van hels cast on them from the book of arkhan to give them much needed rerolls. I use the last of my dice to summon 9 zombies behind the longbeards, facing the organ gun.

Combat:
My luck continues even in this phase. My lord hits with all into the longbeards, then promptly rolls 4 1s to wound. I blame his lack of play due to him being a new model in my army (damn Vlad model). The grave guard and BSB did acceptably well (thanks to the Helm of Commandment) and killed 5 of the little buggers. His thane returned some blows but no wounds were taken thanks to regeneration. The longbeards lost combat and needed 3 with re-roll thanks to the BSB. He uses rune of determination to take the test on 1 dice, and makes it. This was followed by a loud and echoing curse from me. Thankfully the ghouls showed to play today, and killed 5 slayers. A giantslayer declares a challenge which my vampire gladly accepts and butchers. Ghouls win, they’re slayers so nothing happened.

At this point I was even more worried. I had expected to break the longbeards this turn, and now his warrior unit was looking right at the flank of my GG. I didn’t doubt they would handle themselves, but the way my rolls were going I definitely had something to worry about.

Riftsower
03-03-2008, 19:05
Turn 3 Dwarves:

Movement:
Gyrocopter flies over to the flank of the new zombie unit. The warriors decide not to charge my grave guard unit, due to them still benefiting from Van Hels. So they angle themselves to face my flanks slightly more.

Shooting:
This was his most ineffective shooting phase the whole game. Flaming cannon fails to wound a CC, the other cannon brings the balefire CC down to 1 wound. The organ gun, anvil, and gyro all go into the zombies. Between their combined effort, 2 zombies still remained.

Combat:
The Lord once again botches his rolls to wound, and 3 more longbeards are brought down by the GG and Wight King (even though they needed 2s and 2s with a reroll to hit, gah!). After more cursing, the longbeards hold again. Ghouls vs slayer combat is identical from last turn, a total of 5 more slayers die including another giantslayer who wanted a piece of my vampire.

Turn 3 VC:

Movement:
The 2 zombies charge the organ gun crew mindlessly. Second ghouls unit charges the flank of the slayers. Skeletons shuffle more to get at the longbeards flank.

Magic:
My lord once again does nothing. My other vampires bring 7 zombies back, returning them to their original size. My ghouls ASF thanks to a CC. Everything else was either dispelled for failed to cast.

Combat:
Ghouls kill 5 more slayers between the 2 units. My vampire fights the last giantslayer and wonders how he could be more like his wonderful general, hits 3 times, then fails to wound with all 3. Giantslayer does nothing thanks to armor saves. 2 zombies die to the organ gun crew and killed none themselves, the crew wins combat and holds. Grave guard once again fail to perform and kill only 3. The dwarves hold yet again.

ARG@#!(#SH#$Q$#!@$#

Turn 4 Dwarves:

Movement:
Gyrocopter charges the zombies to rescue the organ gun crew. Warriors charge into the flank of the ghouls with vampire.

Shooting:
The cannons either miss or have their wound regenerated. The Anvil hits the skeletons, killing 3, halving their movement so they can’t flank the longbeards.

Combat:
Slayers are reduced to just 2 models and the giantslayer, stuck in a titanic challenge of failure between the himself and the vampire. Neither of which doing anything to eachother. The ghouls still have ASF and kill 2 dwarf warriors as they chose to use great weapons. 4 ghouls then die in turn between the warriors and BSB. The dwarves win combat and a few ghouls crumble from each unit. The gyrocopter hits and wounds with all, the zombies do nothing to the organ gun crew, and lose 2 more from the crew. They crumble to nothing. The longbeards hold again, but this time my lord killed 2! But no one else killed anything…

So…much…hate…at my dice…

Turn 4 VC:

Movement:
Skeletons shuffle up their whole 2 inches. Wolf still hiding in the forest.

Magic:
Magic is stopped and/or fails, but the whole army ASF thanks to the corpse carts.

Combat:
Finally the Grave Guard kill all but the command of the longbeards and break them. They are caught and the GG over-run into the gyrocopter, which opts to hold. Ghouls bring the slayers down to the champ, who once again doesn’t die. 1 more warrior falls to the ghouls but 3 more ghouls die in return. Ghouls lose and some more crumble.

Things were not looking good for those ghouls. I needed to get rid of that last slayer ASAP.

Turn 5 Dwarves:

Movement:
None

Shooting:
Between all of his shooting and Anvil, my skeletons are reduced to 1 model with vampire in it, and balefire CC dies thanks to quarrelers (first time he used them the whole game.)

Combat:
My lord hits and wounds with everything vs the gyrocopter and kills it. They over-run into the non-flaming cannon. The warriors beat the ghouls again, vampire vs slayer still full of fail, and the vamp and 2 ghouls are all that’s left.

Turn 5 VC:

Movement:
Skeletons sit tight and resign themselves to taking a table quarter.

Magic:
Not much happens in the way of summoning, again. But winds of undeath goes off from my lord. It kills the ******* slayer, a quarreler, an Anvil attendant, and a cannon crewman. So 1 full based host appears in the forest with the anvil. I then use the book to try and vanhels the now free ghoul unit into the front of the warriors, which is dispelled then the item promptly breaks.

Combat:
The vampire kills 2 dwarves and takes no wounds in return, only he is left after the unit crumbles. The GG kill the canon and take their new table quarter.

Turn 6 Dwarves:

Shooting:
Anvil goes for Ancient power again, smacks the corpse cart and kills it, and kills a couple ghouls. Cannon doesn’t do anything, quarrelers also take a ghoul or 2 down.

Combat:
My vampire kills 2 dwarves and takes no damage in return, loses combat and suffers 1 wound from crumble.

Turn 6 VC:

Movement:
Ghouls charge the front of the warriors in an attempt to save the vampire. Grave guard turn around to bring themselves in range of casting spells. I fight the urge to charge the Anvil with my spirit host, I knew I wouldn’t kill the runelord, and hes unbreakable, so I decided not to just feed him 50 points. Wolves move from the woods to attempt to be raised.

Magic:
Finally summoning does something, with every vampire focusing their dice on it, my Lord raises 12 ghouls into the existing unit and between the other vamps, they bring the skeletons to half strength, allowing them to capture their quarter and try to raise the wolves but only 1 returns from their efforts.

Combat:
Dwarf BSB kills my poor vampire, the ghouls then kill 3 dwarves thanks to some lucky poison. With their new numbers they win combat and break the dwarves, but due to my ignorance (also I was pretty high) I did not pursue them, thusly missing out on 200 pts of banners.

Recap:
After points were added up it was a solid victory for the counts, the 200 pts missed on banners would’ve made it a massacre or damn close to it. Even with the crappy rolling I had a blast this game. Was very fun and I really got to see how nasty the anvil can be, and see what happens when my magic phase is completely shut down. I can only imagine how broken Thorek is, and I’ve resigned myself to spitting on people in public who take him outside of the GT ruled fashion.

There were no grave tactical errors this game though, which is a nice thing to see. I would’ve loved to try out my wraiths this time around, as I’d rather not take a double Vargulf in my 2250 list as people see it as “Cheesy”. But their prowess will have to be tested in another game it seems.

Stay tuned for the VC vs WE battle!

Lord Commander Eidolon
04-03-2008, 04:06
good battle report, would have been better with pictures though

IronBrother
04-03-2008, 04:26
Good battle report. The only problem I see is that the Anvil of Doom is a war machine and therefore can not willingly enter difficult terrain. Just something for your dwarf friend (hated dwarfs, your hate is not alone).

Latro
04-03-2008, 08:52
The only problem I see is that the Anvil of Doom is a war machine and therefore can not willingly enter difficult terrain. Just something for your dwarf friend (hated dwarfs, your hate is not alone).

Sorry, there's nothing that prevents war machines from entering difficult terrain (besides the usual penalties of course) ... read the rules.

:cool:

sainthale1988
04-03-2008, 09:47
the only thing i hate more than dwarfs, is the anvil of doom. was he using GT ruling for it? good to see you got one over on the stunties and at least he got stuck in rather than pure gunlining
(btw whats the rune of determination when its at home?)

i feel for your lack of dice co-operation. you should make a public example of one to be a message to the rest :evilgrin:

Riftsower
04-03-2008, 14:13
Haha thanks all for the feedback. And I believe Rune of Determination allowed him to take a break test on one dice. As he needed a 3 with a BSB close by, he was going to stick it for sure. :(

Badger
04-03-2008, 15:00
so, bad dice luck all the game, losing both expensive rares early in the game, an enemy that throws ancient anvil runes like konfetti and all those "balanced" new C(U)ounts can get is a "solid victory"...

i feel sorry for those longfang players! ;)

greetings Badger

Malorian
04-03-2008, 15:10
Good report. This is one of the reasons I'm scared of the 1 dice attack, you can have a lot of failures and then there is less for the opponent to dispel. Good to see you made it out in the end : )

SevenSins
04-03-2008, 17:12
nice going, didn't think you'd pull it off after that start.... The dice gods are indeed fickle beeings :)

IronBrother
04-03-2008, 18:29
The rule book states that a war machine may never voluntarily enter difficult terrain (including deployment as this is voluntary). There is nothing against him hiding along the edge of the forest. I also just wish that the AoD had to have line of sight for it's missile attacks.

Moepho
04-03-2008, 18:53
Hmmm you claimed to have completely horrible dice...yet you still won the game.:confused:

Maybe the dwarf player was rolling just as bad as you? His artillery didn't seem to do much other than in turn 2.

I think the new VC will be more hated than dwarfs very shortly....:cheese::skull::cheese: If you had decent to good rolling you would have steamrolled him by turn 3. I think if he had been missing the AoD he wouldn't have had a chance....

Good report though!

intellectawe
04-03-2008, 19:36
I know I am going to get flamed for this....

But you beat the dwarves, and all you could do is complain about your magic phase? Seriously? I never got that about players in Fantasy. You choose an army that relies HEAVILY on the most random aspect of the game, magic, then blame the 'dice' for not going your way? You chose an army that uses HEAVY magic, you have to just calm down and accept that you wont raise 4 billion undead like you were lead to believe you could over the past 7 months in the rumors section.

You then beat the dwarves with a solid victory, cry about not crushing him with your lost 200 points, and yet you STILL manage to throw in the cliched and old quip "Anvils are cheesy!" line.

Your report was spot on. I enjoyed it very much, but it could have done with a bit more maturity and less dice/anvil crying. I was trying to read it, and as I get into the report, all I come across was more complaining and crying.

Sorry, this happens to me a lot in Fantasy. My opponent plays a magic heavy army, misses a lot of spells, and blames the dice. Um, no. Don't blame the dice, blame yourself. And when you WIN, don't complain about your oppoennt's army being 'cheesy'. Nothing worse than a sore winner.

Riftsower
04-03-2008, 20:21
I think you mistake my actual responses to what was going on as crying. I'm well aware of the random aspect of magic, but am I not allowed to get frustrated when the dice go sour? Would you say I was crying if I took a combat oriented list then failed with dice and commented about it? The game is random, regardless of the phase. Magic is just seen as more so because when you fail hard, you see it as points wasted or possibly blowing yourself up.

Showing my frustration and thoughts as the battle went on was my way of trying to personalize the report beyond the basic "this unit killed X of Y unit".

By no means was I sour when I played this game, in fact I was pretty stoned and laughed it all away as it seemed just absurd. If it came off as "crying" I apologize. Dice are dice, its random and they will fail you at times regardless of what phase you focus on.

And as for my comments on the Anvil, they were just that, comments. I will have no problem going up against an Anvil in the future, but as it was a report based on my observations, and it was my first time truly playing against one in over a year, it was my main focus. The only "cheese" cry was based on what I saw, then figured in what it would be like with Thorek sitting on top of that thing. There was nothing cheesy in my opponents army and no where did I mean to imply such. I actually asked to fight the anvil to see what all the talk is about.

And please don't take this post as hostile, its a genuine response explaining my point of view on this matter.

Joe_Pineapples*sniper*
04-03-2008, 20:50
Your report was spot on. I enjoyed it very much, but it could have done with a bit more maturity and less dice/anvil crying. I was trying to read it, and as I get into the report, all I come across was more complaining and crying.

So in summary. You didn't like the complaining and crying, and the lack of maturity.......so.....

You complain and cry. Yup, I like that.

I found the report taking a more humourous approach, that made me smile as I've had similar bouts of dice rolling myself. In no way did I find it bitching or immature.

Why shouldn't he explain how bad his dice rolls are? For us the observer, who wasn't there to witness it, I find that information particularly relevant when discussing tactics.

Perhaps it isn't the OP who has a lack of maturity?

Peegore
04-03-2008, 22:30
Whoa there. Hold yer horses everyone.

Lets bring this back to a more reasonable level of discussion ( I'd hate for such a truly entertaining battle report thread to get locked !)

I must admit, reading the report, I was under the impression the VC were heading for a beating. But was taken aback when the result was revealed.

What seems to be emering ( after reading several forums ) is that the new VC are doing uncommonly well. I've seen at least 10-12 results/reports so far, and they've been 90% wins for VC's, with the odd draw. And this is even when the opponent is prepared for the VC onslaught!!!

Time will tell as they say ( I'll be on the receiving end of the Undead horde tomorrow :( ).

My final thought - Not only did Riftsower perform poorly in the magic phase and have generally poor dice, but he was stoned to boot:wtf:

Enjoyable report though. Cheers!

intellectawe
04-03-2008, 23:24
My final thought - Not only did Riftsower perform poorly in the magic phase and have generally poor dice, but he was stoned to boot:wtf:

I read his report as...

Not only did Riftsower perform poorly in the magic phase and have generally poor dice, but he berated the army he crushed to boot!

Otehr than that, his report was well layed out and it made sense, even without pictures. I normally skip over non-picture reports, but he knows how to write one well to let me know what is going on. I want him to write more!

You complain and cry. Yup, I like that.

Circular-switch logic. How original. You win. I was wrong. Lets move on, thank you.

Moepho
05-03-2008, 12:47

:D You can be stoned, roll badly and still win? Maybe I should jump on the VC bandwagon....:cool:

VC are definitely going to be top tier tournament armies. You can even shut down 80% of their magic and they still seem to do just fine.

Peegore
05-03-2008, 14:36
I'm just 5 hours away from my first game facing the new VC's. Oooh the anticipation.

But as it's at my mates house, and he'll be on the Lager. I can see some similarities occuring here ;)

Tomorrow there'll be E-mails -

Mick - " So what happened last night. Can't remember anything after turn 3"

Me-" Er, Your Vamps Won "

Mick - "Cool..."

I've a feeling the VC's may be not so much a thinking mans army as a drinking mans army.

IronBrother
05-03-2008, 15:47
Sorry I was stupid about war machines and deploying in terrain, I misread the rules. It was a great battle report easy to follow and it is funny that he couldn't roll dice tof ight himself out of paper bag, but still won. That is incredible, what does it say about his army list?

Veland
05-03-2008, 22:28
Vampire Counts

Vampire Lord (w/ GG)
+1 Level
-Master of the Dark Arts
-Forbidden lore (Vampires)
-Summon Ghouls
-Von Carstein Ring
-Dispel Scroll

Vampire #2 (Curse of Years, Summon Zombies) (w/ Skeletons)
-Dark Acolyte
-Lord of the Dead
-Helm of Commandment
-Scepter de Noirot

You've used too many points for Lord's powers and for the hero's magic items...

The Adept
06-03-2008, 07:34
I think the +1 level was the option in the army list, not the bloodline power, meaning the Lord's fine. I think you're right about the vamp, though.

Veland
06-03-2008, 07:45
I think the +1 level was the option in the army list, not the bloodline power, meaning the Lord's fine. I think you're right about the vamp, though.

Yeah, actually you are right :) Only the vamp has spent too much on magic items.