PDA

View Full Version : 2250 pts VC army

Anardakil
03-03-2008, 21:35
Hello there. I used to play VC in 6th edition's beginnings and I really like the update they're getting now so I want to make a new army eventually : )
What do you think of my first Vampire Counts list?

Vampire Lady (level 3 wizard) with Sword of Striking, Dread Knight, Lady of the Dead, Master of the Black Arts, Walach’s Bloody Hauberk. 405 pts

I wanted her to be good at magic, yet still able to support a unit of skeletons very well in combat, while having some good defense.

Vampire with Dread Knight, Lord of the Dead, Sword of Battle, Book of Arkhan 190 pts

This chap is the apprentice of my vampire lady knight :) He'll support the other unit of skellies.

Necromancer with extra spell (Vanhel’s Danse Macabre), Dispel Scroll, Black Periapt 110 pts

The necro will probably try to raise some zombies in the first turns and use the black periapt to try and use Vanhel's Danse Macabre on the grave guards. I could take a power stone instead of the periapt but the periapt seems very useful.

Wight King Battle Standard Bearer with barded nightmare, lance, Banner of the Dead Legion 157 pts

This wonder boy will lead my black knights. I love this banner. US24 on my black knights? Yeaaaah :D

15 Skeletons with spears, full command, War Banner 179 pts

14 Skeletons with full command, Banner of Endless Nightmare 157 pts

Mainstay units.

10 Crypt Ghouls with Crypt Ghast 88 pts

There to fill out my core choices, and well they'll probably come in handy.

1 Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone 100 pts

The cart will try to make the grave guards get ASF, just like the necro :)

5 Dire Wolves 40 pts

5 Dire Wolves 40 pts

General annoyance and flanking ^^ oh and maybe some warmachine hunting.

5 Black Knights with barding, full command, Royal Banner of Strigos 215 pts

Re-rolled attacks are great. Especially since I seem to roll pretty badly on to hit rolls in combat : P These hate-sy kniggits will, coupled with the bsb that doubles their US and of course lends a hand in cc and gives +1CR and can save a BK from CR if things go wrong, probably be a bunch of knights who perform really well : )

24 Grave Guards with great weapons, full command, Banner of the Barrows 387 pts

I wanted a frontage of 6 models for the extra attack and figured that 24 GG would make a great mainstay unit.

Varghulf 175 pts

The model is so great I can't be without it :)

2244 pts

9 power dice
6 dispel dice
2 bound spells
1 dispel scroll
Flexible little periapt ^^

I'm a little irritated that I couldn't fit in a unit of wraiths+banshee, but hey ho :/
What do you think?

tom1354788
03-03-2008, 22:48
i like the list, i especially like the banner of the dead legion with the black knights.
not sure about the set up of your vampire lord though, not bad just not my cup of tea. One thing i would say is that none of your main units frighten me that much but are actually all very strong, nothing is over the top or wasted which to me is the sign of a good list.

Anardakil
04-03-2008, 09:14
Thank you for the reply. I'm glad you like it :) Yeah I feel the main units will be a force to be reckoned with. Damn I love the new magic banners! (Couldnt resist taking five of them XD)

Well I've updated the list. The biting blade on the vampire lady might seem kinda meh. But I really, really like the Rod of Flaming Death! (I use Doomfire Ring in my Empire army quite a lot these days ^^) It's great against many armies, like goblins & orcs, skaven, elves, ogres and empire. She's not as good in combat as a vampire could be. But I want her to be a really strong caster and yet being able to hold her own in a fight. She's not a cowardly, skulking Necrarch XD I know she's quite expensive right now, but I've got 9 casting dice and three bound spells so I should be able to really pressure the enemy in the magic phase and raise quite a lot of stuff.
14 skellies per unit should be an okay starting size right? The enemy has to be very lucky and good to take out a whole unit if he/she gets the first turn.

It feels a bit weird not to have fell bats but I guess the varghulf and wolves can take care of warmachines pretty well. I might use the Varghulf to support my cavalry though.

Vampire Lady (level 3 wizard) with Biting Blade, Walach’s Bloody Hauberk, Rod of Flaming Death, Dread Knight, Lady of the Dead, Master of the Black Arts, 435 pts

Vampire with Dread Knight, Lord of the Dead, Sword of Battle, Book of Arkhan 190 pts

Necromancer with extra spell (Vanhel’s Danse Macabre), Dispel Scroll, Black Periapt 110 pts

Wight King Battle Standard Bearer with barded nightmare, lance, Banner of the Dead Legion 157 pts

14 Skeletons with full command, War Banner 157 pts

14 Skeletons with full command, Banner of Endless Nightmare 157 pts

10 Crypt Ghouls with Crypt Ghast 88 pts

1 Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone 100 pts

5 Dire Wolves 40 pts

5 Dire Wolves 40 pts

24 Grave Guards with great weapons, full command, Banner of the Barrows 387 pts

5 Black Knights with barding, Hell Knight, Standard Bearer, Royal Banner of Strigos 207 pts

Varghulf 175 pts

2243 pts 83 models

9 power dice
6 dispel dice

heinrichvoncarstein
04-03-2008, 15:03
I would ditch the magical weapon and just go with the lance she allready has, but if you really want a magical weapon you should get the balefire spike. Same applies to the regular vamp. Ditch the magical weapon in favour of the lance.
I would skip some points here and there (since you got lord of the dead on 2 vamps how about dropping the skellie units to 10) and get blood knights instead of black knights.

Atrahasis
04-03-2008, 15:39
Blood knights are a waste of time; a competent opponent will lead them around by their nose due to frenzy.

Anardakil
04-03-2008, 16:19
Thanks for the replies.

I want them to have magical attacks and the lances won't be that impressive as the vamps are in my skellie units. They might not always get the charge, and s5 is enough for killing most troops. Sure, I thought about giving my lady the Balefire Spike. Might do that. But it will seldom be more effective than the biting blade in the infantry. Plus I'm going to use and abuse the green knight model into a vampire and I'm not sure how good a lance would look in the model's hand.

Dropping the skellies to 10 would be very risky. They might get shot up in turn 1 before I can raise any, so I won't do that. And I like black knights more than blood knights - they just aren't my style. Too khorny.

Not gonna go with your suggestions, except maybe the lance. Sorry haha ^^ But thanks anyway.