PDA

View Full Version : I think I have a great plan to take out a star dragon with a Prince

Mayax61
06-03-2008, 15:17
I'm playing 3000 pt High Elves this weekend or tonight and I am almost positive He will use Teclis and a Star Dragon with a Prince with the Starlance. I did some test fights last night and I think I know how to lure the Dragon into a trap. Last time I played him I used a mounted combat Vampire Lord and one on foot that was more of a caster. This time they will both be combat. I will place the solo vampire on foot on whichever flank he positions the Dragon. He almost always brings dragons around the flank, and believing this to be my casting vampire he will likely find it too tempting a target to pass up. In reality the Vampire will have Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, Avatar of death with a great weapon, the Flayed Hauberk, Crown of the damned, the Cursed Book, and the Sceptre de Noitre (or whatever it's called). He will charge in with his 10 str 7 attacks thinking he will go right through my vampire to the rear of my army. To his suprise I use the Cursed Book on his charge and he has to roll 5's and 6's to hit me. On average this will come to 3-4 hits. which will turn into aprroximately 2-4 wounds. I will on average take 1-2 wounds after saves. The next suprise comes when I attack the Dragon with str 7 attacks instead of going after the Prince. In my play tests I inflicted an average of 3 wounds after re-rolled misses (remember i hit on a 3+ with Cursed book in effect). This leaves me with 3 more attacks. On average i was inflicting 4-6 wounds a round on the dragon. I won the first round of combat res in every play test I did (except the one where I rolled like crap and died before I got an attack off). 6 out of 7 times I either made them flee after round 1, or I killed the dragon in round 2, leaving the dragon prince helpless. I realize this is a risk, but if it works out the way it seems likely, I will have a huge advantage.

warlord hack'a
06-03-2008, 19:16
you list a very long list of magic items, while you have only 100 points to spare.. Also, what do all the other items do?

The-Malefic
06-03-2008, 19:23
Ouch, please use paragraphs.

And, nightshroud, sword of kings (on the prince) plus cursed book would probably work and be amusing.

Mayax61
06-03-2008, 19:44
you list a very long list of magic items, while you have only 100 points to spare.. Also, what do all the other items do?

Vampires Lords get 100pts in vampire abilites and 100 points in magic items. Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, and Avatar of Death are all vampire abilities.

Mayax61
06-03-2008, 20:05
Ouch, please use paragraphs.

And, nightshroud, sword of kings (on the prince) plus cursed book would probably work and be amusing.

There's some paragraph's for you. I tested some sword of the kings and sword of might combos with him mounted on a nightmare and the results were favorable in the long term. However, it wasn't quite as effective as targeting the dragon with str 7 attacks. The reason is the champion isn't that hard to kill, true, but the dragon is the real concern. With the Sword of the Kings combo It was taking several turns to kill the dragon if it didn't kill me first, plus it could save the attack with a 5+. The great weapon setup was usually making the dragon run or killing it outright in 2 turns.

xragg
06-03-2008, 21:29
I am not sure what all your magic items do, but if you're confident he will charge this character, why not take the black axe that is being debated in another thread. A great weapon that does d3 wounds will double your wounds, possibly killing the dragon often in 1 round by what your testing shows.

therisnosaurus
06-03-2008, 23:22
or just frostblade, red fury, a hellsteed, and hatred. charge HIM, attacks on dragon as per before, hitting on 4's,re rolling, wounding on 5's. one wound gets through and dragon goes down. prince sits there looking silly and flees due to outnumbered by fearcauser

tom1354788
06-03-2008, 23:51
red fury does not work with great weapons, read the book.

wingedserpant
07-03-2008, 14:28
And after the dragon is killed?

AlexCage
07-03-2008, 15:07
Also you are over on your points for Wargear.

wingedserpant
07-03-2008, 16:26
Also you are over on your points for Wargear.

100 points for magic items and a futher 100 points for vampire powers.

AlexCage
07-03-2008, 16:32
100 points for magic items and a futher 100 points for vampire powers.

Uhm, yeah. Right. Like I said.

He is over on his points for wargear.

i.e. He is over 100 points on wargear.

Although, come to think of it, why you'd want to give this character the Sceptre of Noirot is far beyond me. What, just for more random zombie units? Give him a sword of might instead (since the build won't work anyways with a GW).

wingedserpant
07-03-2008, 16:45
Uhm, yeah. Right. Like I said.

He is over on his points for wargear.

i.e. He is over 100 points on wargear.

So has he spent over 200pts on 'wargear?'

Revlid
07-03-2008, 17:07
So has he spent over 200pts on 'wargear?'

No, as he can't take 'wargear' only magic items and bloodline abilities.

That said, he is over. He has 95 Points Bloodlines (fine) and 105 Points Magic Items (not fine). Drop the Sceptre de Noirot for something else.

And the Greatweapon won't work - the Nightshroud doesn't make the enemy strike last, it just makes them lose their charging bonuses (including ASF).

AlexCage
07-03-2008, 18:20
Was what I said so unclear? He's over his points limits for gear. Gear that is used for war. Wargear.

Ok ok, mixing fantasy and 40k terminology, sue me. I'm gonna go read my Vampire Codex.

And the Greatweapon won't work - the Nightshroud doesn't make the enemy strike last, it just makes them lose their charging bonuses (including ASF).

I don't see where anyone suggested that...

The-Malefic
07-03-2008, 20:28
They also have their I reduced to 1...

Dtae787
07-03-2008, 23:29
Thing is the great weapon has the special rule Always strikes last. Its not a 40k power fist, you dont strike at I1. (as far as I know this is the rule)

Spirit
08-03-2008, 02:20
To clear things up with the wargear, he has 105 points of magic items and 95 points of vampire items. This is illegal.

Go with a vampire with the frostblade like someone suggested, take dreadknight for a 2+ save. Mince the dragon and get +6 combat resolution. Sod the cursed book, just accept his challenge with a skelton champion, then mug the dragon in your turn.

Or yes, use the sword of kings on a wight lord with the cursed book, striking before him and killing blow on a 5+, cast vanhells on the wight to get rerolls, or have the banner of strigos in the unit (itl have to be a bsb or a GG/knight unit to do this)