PDA

View Full Version : 2000 POint VC (Grave Guard of Doom)

.H.
06-03-2008, 21:39
So this will be my first Fantasy army, what do think of the following list:

Skeletons x 20 (Full Command)

Crypt Ghouls x 15

Dire Wolves x 5

Varghulf x 2

Grave Guard x 19 (Full Command, Great Weapons, Banner Of The Dead Legion)

Vampire Lord (Staff Of Damnation, Helm of Commandment, Wristbands of Black Gold, Master Of The Black Arts, Forbidden Lore)

Vampire (Tomb Blade, Flayed Hauberk, Red Fury)

Wight King (Sword Of Kings)

Necromancer on a Corpse Cart (2 Dispel Scrolls)

So my general idea is to use the Grave Guard to kill whatever is most dangerous in the other army. The idea is to join the Wight King to the unit and then have my Lord behind them staying out of combat and making them WS7. Between that and the great weapons and the banner, they should do well in combats vs. almost anything, especially if i get off a Dance and the Staff on them.

The Ghouls will guard the Lord's flank, while the Varghulfs and Dire Wolves use their speed to further protect my flanks or to attack theirs.

The Necro is just there for Dispels and the Corpse Cart to help the Skeletons. The Vampire will help them as well, by joining one of the units.

Of course this is all in theory as i've never played even a single game before. I think the list really lacks of magic, but i thought it might hit hard enough to somewhat mitigate that fact. Any comment's or criticism?

dr.duck770
07-03-2008, 02:38
If you want a more deadly unit of Grave Guard, with GG have the GG standard bearer have a war banner and give your wight king a battle standard and the Banner of Barrows with GW. So while your helm of commandment will give the GG WS7 and +1 to hit, at S6 2+ to hit and 6+ com res.

DeadjesterX
07-03-2008, 04:11
I second Dr.Duck's notion.

Personally, I don't see much of a point of putting a Necro on a corpse cart. I'd rather hide him behind units.

Otherwise, pretty cool list.

Sarael
07-03-2008, 06:17
I agree, I think putting the necro on the cart makes him too vulnerable to cannons and mortars.

lupercal
07-03-2008, 12:59
i have to agree with the previous posts,

necromancers on carts will get shot to pieces and if anything catches it in combat they will rip the necromancer off its back

i like the grave guard unit, the banner of the barrows in combination with the helm of cammandment means they will be hitting and wounding 99% of opponents on a 2+.

a good vampire to add to an army like this is;
red fury, sword of might, talisman of lynci, flayed hauberk, bsb (optional).

for around 200 points, hes a level 1 wizard with the potential to do 6 wounds and can charge any fragile maneuverable threats within 18".

Spirit
08-03-2008, 01:45
I prefer that vamp with hatred and walking death, gives you still the potential for 6 combat res, but your more likely to hit. And i give him sword of battle. for 4 attacks.

Alternitavely, scout him insted of walking death, an 18" move scouter turn one is scary.

Spirit
08-03-2008, 01:47
As for the army, you have +1 to dispell on the vamp, go the whole way, give the necromancer +1 to dispell staff aswell, its not "user only" so it gives you +2. sod the dispell scrolls, and its cheaper. Else give the necro bound vanhells, go all out on the magic, you have 9 power dice there, with 1 or 2 bound thats alot to stop AND you have the combat to back it up.

And if you give the wight lord the hand of dust, it gives you another spell they have to stop, and he still has killing blow anyway. If they dont stop the 2d6s5 hits then the grave guard dont need to be hard, youl have decimated half the unit in the magic phase!

By the way, i love that thrall with fury and a tomb blade, im gonna steal that one!

dr.duck770
08-03-2008, 04:30
That thrall with the tomb blade and fury is not bad. For a real damage Vamp, replace the tomb blade with a Dreadlance and dread knight. Thats 4 auto hits and every 2+ to wound has -4 to saves and 4 additional auto hits. Boo yah!

Spirit
08-03-2008, 14:17
Duck, thats also a LORD choice, his one is a hero. I have better things to do with my lord.

Edit: To explain, if you dont have the book, dreadlance is 60 points, thralls only get 50.

Yann-Drak
08-03-2008, 16:43
Hello everybody,

That's my first post in warseer. However i play VC From 2000 and i like a lot the new book as it provides a lot of alternatives in army building.

Regarding the list: Why wristbands on lord? Is he going to walk around alone behind units?
It may be a good protection for the first turns but later i think that you will have to put him inside a unit fro protection

IMHO tomb Blade sucks and i would not give Red fury to a vampire due to 3 attacks. Why not give him FH, SoM, adn Infite Hatred? and you still have points for maybe m9 talsiman and 25 points for bloodline powers

I like the list in general

Preacher
08-03-2008, 17:09
If you want a more deadly unit of Grave Guard, with GG have the GG standard bearer have a war banner and give your wight king a battle standard and the Banner of Barrows with GW. So while your helm of commandment will give the GG WS7 and +1 to hit, at S6 2+ to hit and 6+ com res.

I dont play VC...yet. But I am loving this idea. Is their a spell that let s them strike first? I think I read about this somewhere. If there is I would assume will become a "Standard" build for them. I am little blown away by this combo. I cant wait to try this one out.

.H.
09-03-2008, 04:06
OK, i've revised the list:

Crypt Ghouls x 15

Dire Wolves x 5

Varghulf x 2

Grave Guard x 19 (Full Command, Great Weapons, War Banner)

Vampire Lord (Staff Of Damnation, Helm of Commandment, Wristbands of Black Gold, Master Of The Black Arts, Lord Of The Dead)

Vampire (Tomb Blade, Flayed Hauberk, Red Fury)

Wight King (Battle Standard, Banner Of The Barrows)

Necromancer (2 Dispel Scrolls)

Dropped the Corpse Cart, made the Wight King the Battle Standard Bearer.

Still not 100% on my other Vampire though, i'm not sure how to best equip him to support my Skelys.

dr.duck770
09-03-2008, 07:25
Why crypt ghouls? skeletons have armour.

As for supporting skeletons, your Vamp lord will do plenty well at raising skeletons. he has 6 chances at raising D6 skeletons.

If your lord is in a unit you dont really need to give him the 3+ ward against shooting.

Make sure you give your wight king a great weapon also.

You might wnat to get more dire wolves, they are very useful.

As for everything else, its a good list. the Vargulfs are good hammer units, so theres no real need for knights. And the grave guard will destroy what ever they charge.

Spirit
09-03-2008, 13:35

Its my recollection that you still get +1 for just having a bsb (and +1 for a standard, i think) AND vampires have NO downside to just taking the Bsb, you can still take magic items if you dont take a magical bsb) So its alot better to just go standard of barrows or strigos in the grave guard unit, with a "normal bsb in the unit.

This way you STLL get the same combat res, or one less (6 or 5, im not exactly sure, but its not much worse), you STLL get the 2+ (or 3+ hatred) to hit, but your wight can take 50 points of magic items (2+ to hit with 5+ killing blow anyone? And making anyone hitting him strike last?)