PDA

View Full Version : Tools needed to make a table?

agerstone
20-03-2008, 10:42
As you will see by my other thread i'm building the pieces for a modular CoD table. I'm going to the massive B&Q to get my MDF tonight but was also thinking, what other tools will I need while building? So does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might need along the way?

ryfitz13
20-03-2008, 11:04
Are you asking about tools for the table itself? I'm going to assume that's what you're looking for.

Building a basic table is actually pretty straightforward. You'll want some lumber for the legs and supports - if the table is going to be in a basement somewhere and doesn't need to look pretty, this can be as simple as a bunch of 2x3's or 2x4's to serve as legs and stretchers. For this type of construction, any saw will do (a hand saw, a circular saw, or most easily a miter saw) for cutting the pieces to size, a circular saw and a straight edge will serve well to cut down the MDF to size, then you'll just need a drill to make your pilot holes and drive your screws and bolts everywhere (you could just nail such a thing together, if you chose - I just usually trust nuts and bolts a little more).

If you want the thing to look nice enough to be in a more commonly used space, you'll need to invest in some better lumber. A miter saw is a must to keep all the cuts square and even. After that, it's pretty much the same as the less attractive version - you'll just want to take a little more time getting it all "right."

Another thing you may want to invest in, especially for the second method, is some good clamps. You'll likely want to glue down your MDF top, rather than screwing it in and having to deal with the screws in the middle of your gaming surface. If you glue the top down, use several clamps to hold it tightly to the structure of the table until the glue dries - that'll help make a better bond between the two pieces.

One note for either method - especially the "just throw it in the basement" version: Get some polyurethane or similar sealer and seal that thing up once it's all put together! This is not for the looks - it's to protect the wood. I don't know what the conditions are like in your basement, but mine gets damp during the spring and humid during the summer. These are great conditions for mold and mildew to grow on anything unprotected. Sealing up your table will go a long way to protecting it from mold and mildew!

agerstone
20-03-2008, 12:06
Thanks mate, i'm incredibly sorry because I meant the tabletop, I should have been more clear!! However, I am planning to build a table after so I will bookmark this and it will come in incredibly handy then.

So just to point out - I mean tools I might need in the making of the table top.

I was thinking a Dremmel, there is a Dremmel engraving tool as well which would be good for damaging buildings etc

N810
20-03-2008, 12:28
by "tabletop" you mean terrain right ?

if you don't have one yet hot wire cuters and hit knifes (sodering iron2) are great for cuting foam.

dremels are good but also expensive, if you allready have a power dril, some small drill bits might be a good investment.

for sticking stuff together I find a Hot Glue Gun invaluable as it will prety much stick anything to anything, bear in mind it will make a stringy mess and is not ideal for gluing plastic models together. but for sticking odd stuff together its great.

when making a table full of terrain im shure you are going to want to make rubble piles.
so get a big bottle of white glue (PVA) and go to the nearest source of free sand and get a bucket full.

Also I'm shure you have tons of empty sprue by now, this can be cut up for rubble or some people reccoment using an old meatgrinder to make tons of rubble at once.

Steam_Giant
20-03-2008, 13:12
The list looks good so far, Dont forget B&Q will cut wood for you, just make sure you supervise !

With all the DIY iv done this past year i feel like i practicaly live in my local B&Q :o

I made a simple board last month details are in my thread if you need any ideas.

N810
20-03-2008, 14:05
heres a link to a similar thread form a few weeks ago...
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131306

imperial_scholar
20-03-2008, 15:59
I use a sharp box cutter for the foam or foam board.
I use my computer (Adobe Illustrator) to plan out the pieces of terrain. I don't use wood or balsa much... but I do use a hack saw now and then.

I own a Dremel but haven't used it for terrain yet... accept to drill in holes into plasticard (Sheet styrene).

Bulletmagnet
22-03-2008, 00:12
First post here:
If you are referring to building terrain, and not the table hardware, there are quite a few sites that list tools for making terrain and have other tutorials. Here are a few I know off the top of my head:

http://www.ironhands.com/
http://www.terrainthralls.com/
http://www.hirstarts.com/tipsmain/tipsmain.html

A few of my own tips:
As mentioned above, a, hot glue gun is your friend. Note that you don't need the high-heat type, get a low-heat glue gun if you can and save your fingers, plus the low heat glue won't easily melt plastic or foam.

To manage the annoying hot glue strings that will occur: After you apply some glue, lightly touch the stringy glue strand that is created with the glue gun tip. This will effectively cut/melt the string and stop it from getting everywhere.

Where possible when working with the pink/blue foam, break the edges with your hands and randomly glue the bits back together. You can get much more natural looking hillsides than you will if you just use a hot knife cutter, or a blade.

-Bulletmagnet

agerstone
22-03-2008, 19:07
Thank you everyone!!!

Haven't been to B&Q yet, had a few problems getting there so should be going next week!