PDA

View Full Version : EA: Marines taking down Titans

orangesm
10-10-2005, 17:12
Played a game yesterday against a buddy who plays Orks. I lost the game, mainly due to the presence of a Gargant. I had two Warhounds and a full company of marines plus 2 Thawks, predators, landspeeders, strike cruiser. The battle became fairly one sided once his Gargant could bring its weapons to bear on my forces. Even with the two Warhounds, I was unable to bring down his Gargant. After a turn of slugging it out with the titan and losing half my company to a single mob (those things are huge), I fell back with my remaining forces.

My question is how do other players take down Titans, aside from Imperial taking a Warlord - the only way for a Marine Player to get hold of a Titan Killer weapon? Imperial Guard can take a company of Shadowswords and a Lunar Class Cruiser and these are great options. I am just wondering what ideas others have.

Grimshawl
10-10-2005, 17:21
Titans and big WEs are a problem for Space Marines in Epic A to deal with no doubt, you mostly need to work on destroying the rest of the oponets forces while looking to keep some type of LOS blocking cover between you and the titan/gargant, actually killing one is rough for marines, two squads of teleporting termies will kill the smaller WEs/titans but you need even more death to kill the bigger ones, I like land speeders for this job myself.

Karhedron
10-10-2005, 18:43
Marines really dont have the firepower to handle Gargants at long range. Teleporting in a couple of detachments of Termintors led by a Captain to rip it up with power fists may be your best option. You should be OK to deal with a slasha gargant this way although a great gargant may be too much even for them to handle.

The other option is to ignore it and slaughter everything else. :D

Brushmonkey
10-10-2005, 20:59
Sustained Fire Reavers screw over Gargants. Fire the missile first to knock down powerfields, then open up with 8 AT shots hitting on 2s.

Also useful for busting up Boyz formations transports.

Or you could 'port in with the Termies and try and give him a good, hard fisting.

orangesm
11-10-2005, 00:06
Does anyone find it odd that there is no Imperial/Adeptus Mechanicus Titan dedicated to the destruction of opposing Warmachines? I guess that would be the best question to ask.

orangesm
11-10-2005, 02:46
True... I was refering to the standard list. I total forgot about using other configurations.

Brushmonkey
11-10-2005, 10:56
The standard Warlord is a badass. 4 x AT4, 8 x AT3, 1 x TK D3. Sustained fire = a lot of hurt on an opposition War Engine.

astrocortex
11-10-2005, 15:35
Titans and big WEs are a problem for Space Marines in Epic A to deal with no doubt, you mostly need to work on destroying the rest of the oponets forces while looking to keep some type of LOS blocking cover between you and the titan/gargant, actually killing one is rough for marines, two squads of teleporting termies will kill the smaller WEs/titans but you need even more death to kill the bigger ones, I like land speeders for this job myself.

There was actually a thread about this on the SG epic forum, taking down Titans with a purely marine force ... no titans accompanying! :eek:

Grimie already beat me to it but you'd have to use the high (transport) speed of ground based marines to keep the Gargant out of sight. All the while you concentrate on beating the hell out of the rest of the army.

Once it's time to deal with the Gargant lots of AT firepower is the order of the day to strip the shields, so thats things like Devs, AT Razorbacks, Predator Annihilators, hell even sus fire Whirlwinds will do half it's damage capacity in shots!

Then sneek in a squadron of fresh Landspeeders, not wasting their MW shots on the shields of course, and teleport in some terminators to maximize the MW damage.

Well that's the theory any way! :rolleyes:

Mouldsta
11-10-2005, 17:54
TBH I wouldn't even fire a shot at it.

To be able to use a GG you need to be playing 2550pts minimum, and for that size game you should probably be on a 6x4 board anyway. Marines are highly mobile and should be able to go around it with ease.

Concentrate on objectives - you should be able to claim their blitz and one other (place the objectives in their half suffeciently far apart that the gargant can't defend both) gaining you 2vp. Just make sure you contest your own blitz and one objective (assault marines flying back to cover, or thunderhawks landing), and avoid getting your BTS killed and you can force a win.

GG aren't actually that scary IMO. To stand a chance of doing anything, epecially with blast markers they have to double or assault. Doubling them shafts their firepower, and assaulting requires them to be within 30cm, or 15cm if you want to use CC. For a machine with 15cm movement that can't garrisson this is quite difficult if your opponent doesn't want it to happen.

They can go for sustained fire or normal movement, but there's a 50% chance they'll fail and take a BM. Ok they can still fire, but they won't be as effecive, and won't be moving. Keep your units away from each other a bit (to avoid being soopagunned) and keep terrain between you and it.

Moi Dix Mois
16-10-2005, 03:29
Don't try and attack a Gargant with marines if your chapter is modelled after the Celestial Lions.

*Glares at GW*

ObiWan
26-10-2005, 22:14
ROTLF! that reply is just great :D a bit too tragic and true