PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of High Seas Painters. (Month 1)

Harry
31-03-2008, 19:13
The Tales of High Seas Painters. (Month 1)

Arrrrrggghhh! Avast ye land lubbers, hoist the jolly roger and all that.

ere be this months painting.

The idea off this thread is to motivate us (and anyone who wants to join us) to get stuff painted.

I have started this thread following the success of “The Tale of Fantasy Painters” and “The Tale of 40K Painters”. I am starting it now to celebrate the recent release of “Legends of The High Seas” from Warhammer Historical. My hope is to ride 'the wave of enthusiasm' for all things Piratical to help motivate us to get stuff painted.

So that’s it really … if you want to paint Pirates and want somewhere to post them Or you just want to watch us painting Pirates this is where to come.

Please feel free to join us.

Unlike the other 'Tales' rather than have a set start and finish date and require a set number of points or a unit (or crew) every month in this thread painters can post as much or as little as they like, even if that is only one mini a month. (as long as you try and post something!)

This way folks can get stuff painted fast if they want to (which will inspire and motivate the rest of us to get our stuff painted) OR they can concentrate on one mini at a time and on painting it as well as they can.

I will start a new thread each month so that folks can post anything they have got painted so far at the start of each month for everyone to enjoy. After that each thread will be for chat, questions, painting advice, encouragement, tutorials, WIP etc, etc,

The painters who have signed up so far :

Bellarus :
Calibretto : Warmachine Pirates
Chris-Tzeentch :
Count Sinister :
Dead orc : Navy and Pirates
Harry : Fantasy crews
Hastings : Navy and Pirates
Lardidar : Pirate and Navy and Boats
Malarick : Pirates
Steam Giant :
Scarlet squig : Pirates
Tsen : Pirates
Widgren : Pirates

I would like to thank the painters involved for their interest and enthusiasm in this project. I know it is going to help me get stuff painted and I hope it helps motivate you too. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope this project is a big success.

I also hope 'the viewers at home' enjoy the results of all the hard work of the painters.

Harry
31-03-2008, 19:14
If any of ye be wantin to talk Pirate ...

Double up on all your adjectives and you'll be bountifully bombastic with your phrasing. Pirates never speak of "a big ship", they call it a "great, grand ship!" They never say never, they say "No nay ne'er!"

Drop all your "g"'s when you speak and you'll get words like "rowin'", "sailin'" and "fightin'".

Dropping all of your "v"'s will get you words like "ne'er", "e'er" and "o'er".

Instead of saying "I am", sailors say, "I be". Instead of saying "You are", sailors say, "You be". Instead of saying, "They are", sailors say, "They be". Ne'er speak in anythin' but the present tense!

Hints an' Tips

If it be helpin', start yer sentence wi' a "Arr, me hearty," in a deep, throaty voice ye'll find that the rest be comin' much easier.

Vocabulary

In which ye'll find words submitted by many pirates o'er the years, an' which comprise a loose piratical dictionary.
Ahoy: Hey!
Avast: Stop!
Aye: Yes
Black spot: to be 'placin' the black spot' be markin' someone for death
Booty: treasure
Buccanneer: a pirate who be answerin' to no man or blasted government
By the Powers!: an exclamation, uttered by Long John Silver in Treasure Island!
Cat o' nine tails: whip for floggin' mutineers
Corsair: a pirate who be makin' his berth in the Med-...Medi-...that sea 'tween Spain and Africa, aye!
Davy Jones' Locker: the bottom o' the sea, where the souls of dead men lie
Doubloons: pieces of gold...
Fiddlers Green: the private heaven where pirates be goin' when they die
Furner: a ship which be yer own, not one ye steal an' plunder
Gentlemen o' fortune: a slightly more positive term fer pirates!
Go on the account: to embark on a piratical cruise
Grog: A pirate's favorite drink
Jack: a flag or a sailor
Jolly Roger: the skull and crossbones, the pirate flag!
Keelhaul: a truly vicious punishment where a scurvy dog be tied to a rope and dragged along the barnacle-encrusted bottom of a ship. They not be survivin' this
Landlubber: "Land-lover," someone not used to life onboard a ship
Lass: A woman
Lily-livered: faint o' heart
Loaded to the Gunwales (pron. gunnels): drunk
Matey: A shipmate or a friend
Me hearty: a friend or shipmate
Me: My
Pieces o' eight: pieces o' silver which can be cut into eights to be givin' small change
Privateer: a pirate officially sanctioned by a national power
Scallywag: A bad person. A scoundrel.
Scurvy dog!: a fine insult!
Shiver me timbers!: an exclamation of surprise, to be shouted most loud
Son of a Biscuit Eater: a derogatory term indicating a bastard son of a sailor
Sprogs: raw, untrained recruits
Squadron: a group of ten or less warships
Squiffy: a buffoon
Swaggy: a scurvy cur's ship what ye be intendin' to loot!
Swashbucklin': fightin' and carousin' on the high seas!
Sweet trade: the career of piracy
Thar: The opposite of "here."
Walk the plank: this one be bloody obvious
Wench: a lady, although ye gents not be wantin' to use this around a lady who be stronger than ye
Wi' a wannion: wi' a curse, or wi' a vengeance. Boldly, loudly!
Yo-ho-ho: Pirate laughter.

Have fun.

Harry
31-03-2008, 19:15
Arrrgh, Avast me 'earties. 'Ere be my first pirate.

Long Drong be is name.

Highs : The striped trousers.
Lows : Some of my colour choices are just plain wrong. The gold horn and yellow braid do not contrast well and I am not convinced I went the right way with my black/grey beard. I was trying to get away from the slayer bright orange.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_3290.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_3288.jpg

Arrggh an I be lookin forard to seein' the rest of ye owd sea dogs work.

Tsen
31-03-2008, 19:21
This is so well timed, I'm expecting my order of pirates from Black Scorpian Miniatures this week. If its not too late I'd like to join up if I may. I've got a good sized crew coming. I want to build me a boat too.

Tsen

Harry
31-03-2008, 19:23
Arrrrgh, welcome aboard me arty. I'll be addin you to the list. :D

widgren
01-04-2008, 14:58
harry:
can you add me with a crew of pirates? and, widgrEn is spelled with a E ;)

Harry
01-04-2008, 15:02
Arrrgh right you are lad. I be sorry 'bout me spellin'. I'll be puttin that right now me hearty.

75hastings69
01-04-2008, 20:40
I'll have my pirate up in the next day or so, but my navy haven't arrived yet :(

Lardidar
02-04-2008, 13:39
Hmm, my camera seems to be on deaths door .... it is taking no decent shots at all.

Anyway I had to use a fill flash to get any kind of light onto the mini.

Ok month one, here is my first navy member .... no idea why but I think he is called Kevin Carson.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/xapati/Legends%20of%20gamers/Picture010.jpg

Painting highs ... Not many to be honest and I'm not sure if he will make my final crew, but he has been a good test mini.

Painting lows ... After a good year without even picking up a brush I have lost a lot of old technique, things like basic blending and skin tones seem to have abandoned me but I hope that in the next few months I will pick them all back up. I am also dissapointed with the way the wash came out and with the skin.

I have also noticed my hand shakes a little when holding a brush or pen ... this is new to me and am not sure what could be the cause, needless to say I stayed well away from doing the eyes until I can keep a steady hand.

What will I do differently next time ... I will be working on skintone, I will re-work the uniform slightly, the strapping to the chest will be in a leather rather than uniform grey and I will re-think the base and I think I may use different colour hats to show different ranks.

Until next month....

Harry
03-04-2008, 05:59
I'll have my pirate up in the next day or so, but my navy haven't arrived yet :(
Arrrgggghhh they be caught in a storm roundin the cape Ill be bound. :D

Ok month one, here is my first navy member .... no idea why but I think he is called Kevin Carson.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/xapati/Legends%20of%20gamers/Picture010.jpg

Painting highs ... Not many to be honest and I'm not sure if he will make my final crew, but he has been a good test mini.

Painting lows ... After a good year without even picking up a brush I have lost a lot of old technique, things like basic blending and skin tones seem to have abandoned me but I hope that in the next few months I will pick them all back up. I am also dissapointed with the way the wash came out and with the skin.

I have also noticed my hand shakes a little when holding a brush or pen ... this is new to me and am not sure what could be the cause, needless to say I stayed well away from doing the eyes until I can keep a steady hand.

What will I do differently next time ... I will be working on skintone, I will re-work the uniform slightly, the strapping to the chest will be in a leather rather than uniform grey and I will re-think the base and I think I may use different colour hats to show different ranks.
Arrrrghh well done matey for gettin him painted. I was beginin to think I there had been a mutiney and me crew had derserted. :D

Arrggh he be a fine and fabulous first mini. If I might be asking laddy where did 'ee get the scheme from? I can't recall ever tacklin a ship of the line with a crew in that there uniform.

Dead orc
03-04-2008, 10:54
Yarrr, That be the same first model painted for me navy crew. Although I used comple'ly differen' colours.

I'll be chucking up the pics of me models la'er on in the evenin.

Lardidar
03-04-2008, 14:21
Arrggh he be a fine and fabulous first mini. If I might be asking laddy where did 'ee get the scheme from? I can't recall ever tacklin a ship of the line with a crew in that there uniform.

I honestly have no idea,

I just sat down with my paints and that is what came out.

I think I may switch to the Black Scorpion theme and use this guy as a hired gun.

Calibretto
04-04-2008, 14:49
I have 2 guys done, just need to figure out how not to suck at taking pictures.:cries:

Comrade Wraith
04-04-2008, 15:00
I have a boat in the making, and enough materials to build a second one, I'll post some pics tomorrow if you want inspiration, really simple deign.

Dead orc
08-04-2008, 22:49
Pictures will be comming soon! I recently recieved a load of stuff I have to deliver which I completley forgot i was going to do.... I also think i'm going to strip my navy guy as I've gone off the scheme I chose... I'll get pictures before I decide anything though.

Harry
09-04-2008, 06:43
Arrrrrggghh, this be the worst crew I have ever been on. I should have ye all keel hauled for your excuses. :D

I have started on my second fantasy pirate. I went for the next most obvious mini. The ogre maneater that looks like a pirate captain waving a ships anchor.

Thanks to my good buddy Hastings for giving me the mini.

75hastings69
09-04-2008, 08:42
Think nothing of it Harry, anything to help boost your meagre collection ;)

Calibretto
12-04-2008, 19:05
And i finally find the mystical "You es bee" cable.

Two pirates today.......

Doc Killingsworth- Ship cook and surgeon. Always has a full larder after a battle.....:eek:

Bosun Grogspar-Ships Bosun and as mean as they come. How can you not like a guys who shoots a harpoon with dynamite tied to it?

Arrggghh, these be crappy pics! Sigh at the least the first one is ok.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/Andal/Warmachine-Pirates001.jpg

Doc by himself:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/Andal/Warmachine-Pirates002.jpg

The Bosun:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/Andal/Warmachine-Pirates003.jpg

@ Harry-Love the dwarven pirate, the parrot and the stripes really catch the eye

@Lardidar-Pretty solid job for not having painted at all in a year. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Tsen
23-04-2008, 16:49
I finally got my order from Black Scorpian Minitures and let me say these minis are awsome, great detail, almost no flash to clean off at all, just a vent or two on each mini and almost no mold lines, highly recomended. Now maybe I can get some models finished before the end of the month.