PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Heroquest & Heroquest

Irisado
11-04-2008, 20:53
Okay, I'm going to follow Wintermute's suggestion and start a thread about Advanced Heroquest and Heroquest here.

This will hopefully be the place for everyone who is a fan of these games to post their thoughts, opinions, experiences, and scenario/campaign ideas on these two games.

Whether you are a veteran player or games master, a total beginner, or just someone who has no idea what these games are about, but would like to find out more, you are most welcome.

I thought I'd start by explaining the fundamental difference between the two games.

Heroquest was fundamentally a board game, which the whole family could play, the rules were very simple, the quests were not particularly difficult (in the original game, and early supplements at least), and the monsters were very easy to defeat on the whole.

Combat was conducted using dice which used skulls, shields, and evil wizard player shields. Skulls inflicted damage on your opponent, while Shields protected you from harm if you were a hero, while the evil wizard player shields protected a monster from harm.

The problem was that heroes had multiple body points (wounds), while monsters (until the later expansions) all only had one! Worse still, the monsters only had a one in six chance of getting one of rolling an evil wizard player shield to survive!

The full list of campaign packs for Heroquest is:
Heroquest Questbook
Return of the Witch Lord
Kellar's Keep
Ogre Kingdoms
Wizards of Morcar

Elf Expansion* (USA)
Barbarian Expansion* (USA)
(*Thanks to Pookie and Gunmonkey for the information about these two expansion packs)

Various other items were also released, including a set for designing your own quests, a computer game, and a magazine. There may have been more, so if I have missed anything, please feel free to say so.

Obviously, Heroquest was never going to be challenging enough for a wargamer, so along came Advanced Heroquest.

This is more akin to Warhammer in many ways, except that each characteristic is out of twelve rather than ten, and D12 are used, rather than D6.

Movement, combat, and searching is all much more advanced than in Heroquest, and the monsters are all much tougher, especially when the heroes are at their starting levels.

Heroes can be improved quite a bit in Advanced Heroquest, and there are plenty of treasures which can be discovered if you are lucky enough! (The Terror in the Dark supplement made treasure chests much more interesting though).

Heroes must pay for living costs, can buy equipment, can train to improve their characteristics, and can also hire henchmen.

Advanced Heroquest is played using dungeon tiles, rather than a board, which are generated using dice, or are laid out by the gamesmaster if you are using a pre-generated scenario.

The gamesmaster also has access to a much wider array of monsters, traps, and spells than in Heroquest, making it much more fun for him or her as well.

Advanced Heroquest rules can also be combined with the original Heroquest books, in order to make the quests much more challenging. This can be achieved with a few little modifications here and there. I will elaborate if anyone would be interested to know how this works.

Numerous Advanced Heroquest missions were published in early editions of White Dwarf, while there was also a supplement called Terror in the Dark.

That's my little introduction about the games.

I'll finish by saying that I am a gamesmaster for Advanced Heroquest, I have run numerous campaigns using the Advanced Heroquest rules for Heroquest missions, and it is very enjoyable.

So, are there any other players out there? How do you prefer to play your games? (Pure Advanced Heroquest, or a mixture of the two, or just Heroquest).

If anyone has any ideas for this thread, taking into account any of the suggestions which I opened with, please feel free to post.

I am also happy to answer any questions if I can.

I open officially open this thread to the Warseer Community.

EDIT: I've added Supremarchmarshal's rules on alternative monsters, which can be viewed by clicking on the zipe file, and then accessing the PDF. I thank him for all his hard work on these rules. They are valuable resource for all Advanced Heroquest players. If there are problem with accessing the file, please let me know.

Lord_Squinty
11-04-2008, 23:02
Aaah - Heroquest - what a great game....

I gotta say, back when it was released, I hated it.
I thought it was a big fat zero of a game (remember Space Hulk was out at the same time)
However, a few years ago, when I was a staffer - one of the guys brought it in to play once the shop was shut up.
Brilliant laugh.
Even more so as we didnt take it seriously.
We even renamed it from Heroquest to "The search for tea and biscuits"
As one of the guys insisted we werent searching for treasure, it was better - we hunted Jaffa Cakes.
*I know - in danger of starting the "jaffa cakes - biscuit or cake?" debate, sorry*
Had so much of a good time playing - I soon hunted down a copy and a few expansions to add to my GW games.

Anyway - Heroquest is a great game, well worth a look if you havent played it - but dont expect too much challenge, treat it as a good laugh between mates.

Tee
12-04-2008, 13:27
Hello,

About Heroquest, I play/finish it only on my ZX spectrum home computer and I played only one time the board game. Tho I must say I loved the game, and in general I love Dungeon Crawling games.

Sadly, Heroquest is a very old game, impossible to find in store these days. So three years ago when Fantasy Flight Games fttp://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ released Descent: Journeys in the Dark (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17226) I was more then happy, as basically Descent it is a remake / new Heroquest only with more Heroes, nice miniatures, good rules, very nice Overlord system and a smooth combat system (I don't remember exactly how was at Heroquest, but we can talk about this.. and I I'm pretty sure Descent has better and smooth combat system).

I played over 10-15 games (always as Overlord = Dungeon Master) and I must say is a great game. I strongly recommend this game to any Heroquest fan! If you're interested about any details in Descent, let me know.

Sleazy
12-04-2008, 17:13
I love HQ and AHQ, I posted in the original thread. I bought mint copies of both a couple of years back including a few expansions. I keep meaning to paint them up, sure the minis dont look great today but have a charm so I dont intend to use current minis instead.

Irisado
12-04-2008, 18:26
I think the models look rather good on the whole, although they are not as detailed as current models.

My dad painted all the original models for Heroquest and the Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witchlord packs using enamel paints. The results were rather good, and they still hold their own against other miniatures that I have painted. (Mind you, my painting is nowhere near as good as my dad's, but that's another story)

Anyone have a particular favourite scenario from Heroquest, or a favourite expansion pack?

I probably like Ogre Kingdoms most of all, since it is possible to beat the heroes, especially if you use Advanced Heroquest rules :evilgrin:

WallyTWest
13-04-2008, 16:27
Heroquest was gold. How I miss the famir, sigh.

In responce, the magical thing about Heroquest was that one could setup and play. So very easy to GM for. Unlike AD&D where your friends would spend hours being narsistic little punks Heroquest was a "Putdown and Play" variant that was so much easier to master and have fun with. How I miss this giant of games. :(

LOTRCROWN
14-04-2008, 18:07
my favorate expansion was the wizards of morcar , the 4 wizard minis ruled !! and it introduced the men at arms ,with multi fit weapons ,just uttlery brilliant

Warden
15-04-2008, 15:22
I picked up HQ a couple of years ago for 1.50 out of a charity store, only missing 3 minis, still haven't got round to playing the damn thing.

Seeing as my copy of WHQ is lost to the gods of moving (well bits of it, the rules and all ) im gonna have to give it a go.

OrlyggJafnakol
15-04-2008, 15:37
I bought a copy of HQ off eBay just before Christmas. Its a classic game. I play it with the boys in my class and they love it. It resulted in them going on the 'net and buying old copies themselves.

How I love my Heroquest club!

Zemlod
18-04-2008, 23:06
just found this linky thing here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtMt0fqM9p8

at 2:05 there's the old TV ad for Heroquest.

I WANT ONE!

oh, wait. I have one. . . .

I want more!!

gunmonkey
28-04-2008, 10:41
Hehe I remember that ad, mainly because I was rooting through my old HQ stuff and found the spell "Fire of Wrath" and it all came flooding back.

Anyways, found this site, seems legit (has a Hasbro trademark on bottom but could be forged) but it has all the rules, floor plans, cards etc from the main game and all the expansions. Now it makes sense for Hasbro to allow it as the game has been out of print for like 15 years or such.

http://heroquestbaker.altervista.org/indexenglish.htm

pookie
28-04-2008, 11:48
my favorate expansion was the wizards of morcar , the 4 wizard minis ruled !! and it introduced the men at arms ,with multi fit weapons ,just uttlery brilliant

ditto

Op - you missed the Elf expansion and the desgin your own dungeon expansion that also came out.

Steam_Giant
28-04-2008, 15:40
Hehe I remember that ad, mainly because I was rooting through my old HQ stuff and found the spell "Fire of Wrath" and it all came flooding back.

Anyways, found this site, seems legit (has a Hasbro trademark on bottom but could be forged) but it has all the rules, floor plans, cards etc from the main game and all the expansions. Now it makes sense for Hasbro to allow it as the game has been out of print for like 15 years or such.

LegolasBakers claim to be the "official" HQ site is dubious and he has upset the HQ comunity with his blatent pilfering of content. He also is trying to promote his site by damaging existing forums and one look at his site will convince you the guy is a prize pratt !

Discussed further here (http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=gendisc;action=display;num=11922056 08;start=0)

Damage,Inc.
28-04-2008, 20:34
I LOVED heroquest. We played it a few times at my LGS a few years back. The best part was adding in little house rules and weapons, items, monsters, things like that. It was so easy to create your own hack-n-slash adventures and populate them with randomly generated monsters that have no purpose existing togther, at all.

I may have to bust out my HQ from storage and see if I can't scare up some players.

Irisado
28-04-2008, 22:14
Op - you missed the Elf expansion and the desgin your own dungeon expansion that also came out.

I included the Design your own dungeon kit in the paragraph below the list of expansion packs, although I worded it different.

I did, however, miss the Elf expansion set. If you could PM me the name of it, I'll happily add it to the original post.

Here's a question for you all. When playing either Heroquest or Advanced Heroquest, do you prefer playing the heroes or the Gamesmaster?

I always prefer being the Gamesmaster. Monsters are so much more fun than the heroes, and it's so much more satisfying if you kill a hero, since this can be very hard to do, even in Advanced Heroquest.

gunmonkey
28-04-2008, 23:10
Not to be a monkey in the wrench but there is another expansion you missed, called the Barbarian Expansion, very rare, seen a 100% copy on Ebay go for €315 last I checked. Set up in the north mountains methinks (well it has lots of ice based creatures). It and the Elf expansion were only released in the USA, Ogre Horde and Wizzies of Morcar only in Europe.

I always liked being a Hero character, always the Dwarf. Him + Orc Bane = :)
Though I'm thinking of knocking together a custom version of the board, furniture and minis (taken from current GW range) and might be GM all the time as I try to rope some of my friends in (they have never heard of HQ).

Irisado
29-04-2008, 18:12
Not to be a monkey in the wrench but there is another expansion you missed, called the Barbarian Expansion, very rare, seen a 100% copy on Ebay go for €315 last I checked. Set up in the north mountains methinks (well it has lots of ice based creatures). It and the Elf expansion were only released in the USA, Ogre Horde and Wizzies of Morcar only in Europe.

Thanks for that information. This explains why I've never heard of those two expansion sets.

I'm happy to add them to the first post, but did they go by other names other than 'Barbarian'/'Elf' expansion?

I always liked being a Hero character, always the Dwarf. Him + Orc Bane = :)
Though I'm thinking of knocking together a custom version of the board, furniture and minis (taken from current GW range) and might be GM all the time as I try to rope some of my friends in (they have never heard of HQ).

Being the GM is great fun, especially if you play using Advanced Heroquest rules. Chaos Warriors and Ogres are particularly nasty if you do decide to use the advanced rules.

gunmonkey
29-04-2008, 22:16
Nope just Elf and Barbarian. Here is the BoardGameGeek pages for both.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1764
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1763

MB must have been planning for 4 expansions, 1 for each of the 4 hero characters, before the game went out of print.

Is Advanced HQ far removed from the normal HQ game?

Irisado
01-05-2008, 17:33
Thanks for the links.

I'll update my first post when my new computer arrives tomorrow (I'm typing from my old Pentium 1 at the moment, which is very slow, and doesn't like my editing things).

Advanced Heroquest has similarities with Heroquest, except that the dungeon is generated by rolling dice, unless you have a preset quest level mapped out for the GM. There is no large board, just a series of sections, such as corridors, t-junctions, stairs and rooms of differing sizes, which are joined together to make a dungeon.

There are two types of turn. Exploration turns (when the dungeon is generated, heroes search for treasure and secret doors etc), and Combat turns, which only occur when the heroes encounter monsters.

The combats are much tougher in Advanced Heroquest, especially against some monsters, such as Chaos Warriors, Chaos Sorcerers, the Bloodthirster (Gargoyle), and Ogres. You can also encounter some really nasty monsters, for example, a Liche, a Vampire, and even a Lord of Change.

The combat system has some similarities with fantasy, except that you use D12s, as I said earlier on, and that most heroes and monsters only have one attack. You then roll a number of damage dice (if you hit), according to your strength and the type of weapon you are using.

I'd be happy to put up some examples of different heroes and monsters in combat in Advanced Heroquest to show how they work. Please feel free to ask if you are interested.

You can also use Advanced Heroquest rules with the Heroquest board and scenarios. This is great fun, and only requires minimal adaptation of the Advanced Heroquest rules. I would recommend trying out this method to get the hang of the differences between the two rulesets. As the GM, you have much more to do using the Advanced Heroquest rules, so if you learn how to play using the Heroquest board first, you should find it easier to play pure Advanced Heroquest scenarios later on.

gunmonkey
06-05-2008, 15:03
Still cant believe that original HQ will be 20 years old next year. Makes me feel old :(

mattjgilbert
06-05-2008, 15:38
Me too. I loved both games.

Trogdor
06-05-2008, 18:30
Heroquest was my first foray into the whole GW hobby. Loved it, but the only person who I could ever convince to play was my sister and she always cheated!

Medic
13-05-2008, 15:31
Still cant believe that original HQ will be 20 years old next year. Makes me feel old :(

lol, i've just got my misses and my 7 year old daughter to play heroquest, its hard to believe its near 20 years old:cool:

Irisado
13-05-2008, 21:51
lol, i've just got my misses and my 7 year old daughter to play heroquest, its hard to believe its near 20 years old:cool:

Twenty years old, and still superior to many other GW games in my opinion.

gunmonkey
14-05-2008, 23:37
lol, i've just got my misses and my 7 year old daughter to play heroquest

The best reason if ever there was one to start a family :D

Medic
19-05-2008, 10:46
Is there any chance of a few links to other heroquest pages for extra quests etc ?;)

Irisado
19-05-2008, 14:07
I don't have any links I'm afraid, but others may.

There were numerous quests published in issues of White Dwarf, but this was obviously some time ago, so I don't know if you would be able to get access to any of those. Feel free to ask for the issue numbers if you know anyone who has copies of old White Dwarfs.

Failing that, you could design your own. There were numerous ideas for quest design in the Advanced Heroquest rulebook, which could equally be applied to Heroquest.

x-esiv-4c
19-05-2008, 15:46
Twenty years old, and still superior to many other GW games in my opinion.

Totally agree.

gunmonkey
19-05-2008, 23:15
Is there any chance of a few links to other heroquest pages for extra quests etc ?;)

Ask and yee shall recieve.

http://heroquest.drathe.com/

Has a lot of stuff including the White Dwarf quests. Dunno about legality of posting up the rulebooks but has "HeroQuest is © 1989-2008 by Milton Bradley Company." at the bottom so seems legit enough.

Medic
21-05-2008, 11:10
I stumbled on this one, seems abit advanced for me only just starting to play advanced heroquest:confused: http://greywolf.critter.net/ahq.htm

OrlyggJafnakol
21-05-2008, 11:18
Great links guys... Lots of stuff I haven't seen before.

Steam_Giant
21-05-2008, 13:04
Phoenix's Site (http://www.freewebs.com/phoenixgd/questdownloads.htm) Is where I downloaded the original quests and add ons. At 20 years young it seems theres more Fan content online than ever before.

I found most of my current collections at Old Scratchs site (http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=;action=logout)

Irisado
22-05-2008, 10:38
I stumbled on this one, seems abit advanced for me only just starting to play advanced heroquest:confused: http://greywolf.critter.net/ahq.htm

If you would like any help or advice regarding Advanced Heroquest, please feel free to ask any questions here, or send me a PM.

Thanks to all the posters who have posted links. It's very useful to have some online information for these two excellent games.

Zark the Damned
22-05-2008, 12:25
Ah yes, Advanced Heroquest. Spent many a summer in my youth playing that game.

I still remember the party with the worst luck ever (tm).

4 fresh faced new characters, ready to go butcher some Skaven, boldly enter the dungeon. First couple of board sections are a passage and a T-Junction. Rounding the junction the party is set upon by 3 Skaven Slaves. And is promptly butchered as the Skaven seem to always get criticals, and the 'heroes' fumble.

We restarted that dungeon, the party did much better without appaling luck :)

Medic
22-05-2008, 19:48
If you would like any help or advice regarding Advanced Heroquest, please feel free to ask any questions here, or send me a PM.

Iam just unsure of the damage dice side lol:confused:

Irisado
22-05-2008, 20:26
Damage Dice are the number of dice a hero or monster roles if (s)he/it manages to hit. The higher your strength the more damage dice you roll.

Also, some weapons (particularly two handed weapons) give an increase to the number of the damage dice rolled.

Let's look at an example.

The Barbarian (orginally from Heroquest) comes iwth a double handed sword as standard, and has a strength of seven. Strength seven grants five damage dice with a normal sword, but since he has a two handed sword, he has six damage dice.

By contrast, the Wizard only has strength four and a dagger, hence he only rolls one damage dice.

If the Barbarian were to the wield a dagger, his extra strength would mean that he would roll three damage dice.

The number of Damage dice, therefore, depends on the strength of the character and the type of weapon being used.

To wound your opponent you must roll equal to or greater than his toughness on the D12. Each D12 which fulfils this criteria inflicts one wound on the target. If you roll a twelve on any dice, you gain an extra roll per dice which came up as a twelve.

Does that clear up damage dice?

Medic
23-05-2008, 14:45
yeah thats what i wasn't sure:D cheers

Irisado
19-06-2008, 09:56
This question is for all those who have played the role of the Dungeon Master.

What's your most satisfying win over the heroes in either Heroquest or Advanced Heroquest?

Mine was a couple of weekends ago. My friend and I were playing 'The Fortress of the Ogre Lord' scenario from Ogre Kingdoms using Advanced Heroquest rules.

My friend's heroes managed to kill everything in the dungeon, but they couldn't kill my Ogre Lord, who managed to kill three heroes all by himself (the Elf had died earlier on), and win the scenario for me. It was very satisfying, and I was really pleased with how I used him.

A good tip for using character monsters is that it's often a good idea to hold them back, and let regular monsters take on the heroes first to make them expend fate points, so that they are more vulnerable to the character monster. This is obviously only relevant to Advanced Heroquest.

So, that's my best experience, how about everyone else?

Supremearchmarshal
19-06-2008, 10:25
In Advanced Heroquest, I've found that the Skaven Character monsters can be used very effectively in groups. The quest room right before the Revolving Room is usually a very good place to overwhelm the heroes, since you can potentially deploy all 6 Character Skaven there.

Plague Monk - use him when the Heroes are low on Fate Points, and he can easily decimate the henchmen, who mostly don't have good INT scores.

Censer Bearer - similar to the above, his Censer can be used to block off areas.
He also works well combined with a spellcaster.

The Assassin can be used to pick off the Wizard as the heroes are busy trying to get to grips with the spell casters or Plague Monk at the back.

All of the above function particularly well combined with a Warpfire-thrower team.

Aside from that, a particularly grueling adventure is the Eyes of Chaos from WD145 - the Eyes themselves are really nasty, and a great risk to destroy (the first time the Heroes try it they're almost certain to lose a fate point). Also the Ogres around the Pit Traps and the Rock-throwers have been known to decimate a party. And then there's that evil trap on the lowest level...

Another particularly evil tactic is to pick on the henchmen instead of the Heroes - they won't get very far if they can only carry 1000 gold.

Steam_Giant
19-06-2008, 10:28
Best GM win for me was from the orignal HQ quest book, The first witch lord quest. The heroes found the secret passage straight to the witch lord in their first turn. The genie spell failed miserably and without the spirit blade, they were forced to run through a full dungeon to escape. Needless to say each room brought fresh horror and surprisingly the wizard was the last to fall !

One of the few games i have won as GM :evilgrin:

Irisado
19-06-2008, 12:55
In Advanced Heroquest, I've found that the Skaven Character monsters can be used very effectively in groups. The quest room right before the Revolving Room is usually a very good place to overwhelm the heroes, since you can potentially deploy all 6 Character Skaven there.

Plague Monk - use him when the Heroes are low on Fate Points, and he can easily decimate the henchmen, who mostly don't have good INT scores.

Censer Bearer - similar to the above, his Censer can be used to block off areas.
He also works well combined with a spellcaster.

The Assassin can be used to pick off the Wizard as the heroes are busy trying to get to grips with the spell casters or Plague Monk at the back.

All of the above function particularly well combined with a Warpfire-thrower team.

Those are some really good tactical suggestions. I haven't acted as GM yet for any of the Skaven quests from the original Advanced Heroquest Rulebook, so I'll bear those tips in mind, especially since I'm expecting to run that campaign soon.

Aside from that, a particularly grueling adventure is the Eyes of Chaos from WD145 - the Eyes themselves are really nasty, and a great risk to destroy (the first time the Heroes try it they're almost certain to lose a fate point). Also the Ogres around the Pit Traps and the Rock-throwers have been known to decimate a party. And then there's that evil trap on the lowest level...

I have that White Dwarf, and that is an evil scenario I agree. I can't remember the effect of the trap you're referring to, so I'm off to look it up in a minute.

I think the toughest Advanced Heroquest Scenario has got to be 'Rivers of Blood', which was published in White Dwarf 159 (it was written by Carl Sargent, who also wrote 'The Eyes of Chaos'). I haven't played it, but having read it several times, it's a very tough campaign for the heroes to win, and I'd love to use the Vampire character!

Supremearchmarshal
19-06-2008, 14:49
Those are some really good tactical suggestions. I haven't acted as GM yet for any of the Skaven quests from the original Advanced Heroquest Rulebook, so I'll bear those tips in mind, especially since I'm expecting to run that campaign soon.

Thanks, I'll also add another suggestion - the Shattered Amulet has lots of randomly generated levels, so if your players are unlucky with their dice rolls the dungeons can drag on forever. Be sure to use the Terror in the Dark rules for generating the dungeon (since finding the quest room only on a roll of 12 can take forever).

Another good idea may be to occasionally use the Skaven-specific hazards and maybe the monsters (though I don't know how they would affect the game balance) from WD134.

I think the toughest Advanced Heroquest Scenario has got to be 'Rivers of Blood', which was published in White Dwarf 159 (it was written by Carl Sargent, who also wrote 'The Eyes of Chaos'). I haven't played it, but having read it several times, it's a very tough campaign for the heroes to win, and I'd love to use the Vampire character!

Agreed, that is probably the toughest quest ever - and it has a great atmosphere. I highly recommend it (though only after the players have gained a few Fate Points, that is!).

On a side note, I've noticed that some of the monster "races" have a lot of different special characters, etc. (Skaven, Undead) while some others haven't really been fleshed out (e.g. Orcs, Beastmen, Daemons and especially Fimir - who btw. have a really overrated PV - should be around 2. Oh, and the entire Dark Elf race).

Irisado
19-06-2008, 20:40
Yes, some of the monsters did lack character equivalents. I had to create a profile for the Ogre Lord, for example, since the Advanced Heroquest Rulebook only included an Ogre Chieftain.

If anyone is interested in developing any character monsters, please feel free to include them in this thread. Obviously posting complete profiles isn't allowed, but most of the time you only need to adjust WS, T and W, so you could just put 'Ogre Lord = Ogre Chieftain, except that he has +1WS and +1W'.

On the subject of dungeon generation, Terror in the Dark was a vast improvement in this area, as it was for searching for treasure. It actually provides the heroes with a whole variety of interesting options. I think it's a very good book.

Medic
30-06-2008, 18:04
I've managed to get a small band of players togather at my local GW. Most of us play as skaven, so we were wondering how to change the basic characters into skaven versions (like greyseer, assassin, etc, etc). Any ideas would be great.;)

Supremearchmarshal
30-06-2008, 18:53
Here's my idea how to generate the profile:

WS D6+4
BS D6+4
S D4+3 (-1 for Grey Seer)
T D4+3
SP D6+6 (+1 for Assassin, but maximum 12)
BR D8+2
INT D8+2 (additional +1 for Grey Seer)
W D4+1
FP 2

Clanrat

The usual grunt. No special modifiers, though you may want to disallow most missile weapons.

Assassin:

advantages: +1 to surprise rolls, +1 to spot traps, automatically makes leaps across pits and chasms, may buy blade venom for himself only (would probably cost 25GC)

disadvantages: cannot wear armour except maybe leather. Cannot use 2-handed weapons, halberds or spears.

Grey Seer:

Greywolf's excellent site has some skaven magic spells for the grey seer:

http://greywolf.critter.net/ahq/spells/greyseer.htm

Otherwise, just treat him as a wizard hero.

You may even come up with a Plague Censer Bearer or Plague Monk by modifying the rules from the rulebook. Or how about a Gutter Runner with a Sling, or a mutant skaven, a Bounty Hunter who uses a crossbow and traps, or even a Rat Ogre? Be creative and have fun!

Medic
30-06-2008, 19:46
cheers i'll have to look into this a bit more as well:D

Irisado
30-06-2008, 21:17
Medic, I'm really pleased that you've managed to get a group together.

Supremearchmarshal makes excellent suggestions for the character profiles, and I completely agree with his suggestions, especially regarding the assassin.

The most important thing is to have fun, and to be creative. There are plenty of ideas for Skaven in the main rulebook you could use for your party of Skaven. I also like the idea of generating a profile of the Rat Ogre. I would start with looking a the profile for an Ogre and go from there. Maybe you could make the Rat Ogre a quest objective? Perhaps your Skaven warband has to rescue him from the clutches of some Orcs, or perhaps a rival Skaven clan if you have lots of Skaven models available. Just let your imagination run riot!

Please let us know how you get on, and feel free to ask if you need any more suggestions.

Supremearchmarshal
30-06-2008, 22:18
Rat Ogre you say? Well the rules were published in WD 134. Since I'm not allowed to directly copy profiles here, I'll simply list the adjustments you need to make to an Ogre's profile (it's very similar, really):

BR +1, W -2
Also, it fights with Claws instead of a Huge Club, so it deals 6 Damage Dice and never scores criticals or fumbles.

It could also run amok if its handler was killed, attacking both friend and foe if it fails a BR test - but this would be unfair to apply to a Rat Ogre PC.

Anyway, this is all so inspiring! I'll make some more character templates for the Skaven tomorrow.

Medic
01-07-2008, 10:27
Cheers for taking the time to do all this, its very appreciated :)

Irisado
01-07-2008, 14:17
Rat Ogre you say? Well the rules were published in WD 134.

That's well remembered. I'd forgotten about the additional Skaven rules at the end of that scenario.

I've just opened my copy of White Dwarf 134 now, and there are quite a few different characters available for the Skaven. As well as the Rat Ogre, there is a Beastmaster, a Slavemaster, and a Slave. There are other characters too, but most of these are named versions of characters models which were published in the original rules, although there are some minor tweaks in places.

I won't add any templates at this stage, I'll leave that to Supremearchmarshal, as I don't want to steal his thunder.

Supremearchmarshal
01-07-2008, 16:11
Thanks guys! This is no problem since I enjoy designing game rules, especially for an old gem like AHQ. ;)

So here's a few more templates:

Stormvermin: (replaces Clanrat)

As normal warrior, except that he cannot use bows and crossbows.

Bounty Hunter:

Advantages: +1 to spot and +2 to disarm traps, can use any missile weapon, set trap (see below).

Set trap - this ability may be used three times per expedition, and only during an exploration turn. It allows the Bounty Hunter to place a Crossfire trap on a single square. Any monster that walks into the trap will immediately suffer the effects of a Crossfire trap.

Disadvantages: cannot use Plate Armour, 2-handed weapons or halberds.

Gutter Runner:

Advantages: +2 SP (maximum 12), +1 to surprise rolls, can use slings (see below).

Disadvantages: cannot wear armour, cannot use 2-handed weapons or halberds.

Sling - range 12 squares, can move & fire in same turn, 2 damage dice
Warpstone bullet - can be used instead of a normal bullet, and gets 4 damage dice instead of 2. Costs 10 GCs each.

Plague Monk / Plague Censer Bearer:

Advantages: +1 Toughness, +2 bonus to any tests against poison or disease (and +2 Toughness if suffering damage from poisoned attacks or traps). Plague Monk may use Warpscroll once per expedition. The Censer Bearer may use the Censer once per expedition. Both follow the same rules as the appropriate character monster.

Disadvantages: -1 Speed, may not wear armour heavier than leather. May not use any weapon except dagger, spear, sword and 2-handed weapon.

Henchman - Clanrat:

This is the basic Skaven henchman. He follows all the rules for Men-at-Arms, except that he uses the "Skaven Warrior" profile, and his payment is lower (lives are cheap!):

to hire: 35 GC
pay between expeditions: 20 GC

Henchman - Skaven Mercenary

This is the equivalent of the human Sergeant. He is subject to the same rules, except that he uses the Skaven Warlord profile. However, his halberd is not magical, meaning it deals 4 damage dice. He gets 1 fate point just like the Sergeant, and his hiring/upkeep costs are the same.

If anyone's interested, I guess I could come up with some human/elf/dwarf templates as well.

Medic
01-07-2008, 16:37
Could i ask if you could do a few for highelves?

cheers Medic

Supremearchmarshal
03-07-2008, 21:03
I could, but I have never played as or against the High Elves, so I don't really know what their units are like. If you could give me a general idea what they're about, as well as any specific equipment or rules I could come up with something.

No need to give me whole rules or anything, just something like "they can't have armour and are trained to fight with 2 weapons" would be enough.

Irisado
04-07-2008, 12:07
I've played against High Elves in the past.

They are very good fighters in close combat, but they are even better with longbows (think Lord of the Rings films). They are fast, intelligent, and pretty brave too.

I would say their weaknesses are that they don't have the heaviest armour (they would never wear Plate for example), and their toughness and strength are not very high. Their toughness is their main weakness.

I'm not sure about their various troop types, but for Advanced Heroquest you'd have a standard Elf Warrior, a Mage, an Archer and something like a Phoenix Guard or Sword Master (an elite warrior). Ordinary Elves tend to use spears, while elite elves would be trained in using two handed swords and other heavier close combat weapons, such as halberds.

That's my rather sketchy knowledge of High Elves, but that may give you some ideas to be going on with.

voiceofthewarp
05-07-2008, 21:00
Mmmm, wuv heroquest. In fact [shameless plug] I started a log on repainting my HQ set here http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148032 if anyone is interested [shameless plug]

-voiceofthewarp

Irisado
22-07-2008, 20:36
When playing the role of Dungeon Master, what't the most powerful monster you've ever fielded against the Heroes in Advanced Heroquest, or indeed in Heroquest, but using Advanced Heroquest rules.

Mine turned out to be a Liche, which the Heroes managed to find by chance, and his spell casting abilties were causing the Heroes so much grief that they decided to run for it, and they abandoned the dungeon (this was on the Heroquest board, but with Advanced Heroquest rules). It was only after that incident that I realised just how good Liches were.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

LuciusAR
24-07-2008, 09:01
Good news everyone.

If you've got the original HQ but never played the expansions all the questbooks have now been put on-line for free.

Its all be done with Hasbro's consent so there is no legal issues.

*EDIT* Ah Iíve just seen the link to this site earlier in thread. It seems the guy is a bit of a prat. Oh well, it doesnít alter the fact that this is a great place to download some extra quests.

*Edit Agian!* Thanks for the link to:

http://www.freewebs.com/heroquestrevised/aboutfaq.htm

This is without a doubt one of the best fan sites for any game ive ever come accross. Also be sure to check out the links page, You can literally find the quests and rules for evrey single expansion ever release in either the UK or US. The extra board sections seem to be avalibale for download to. The miniatures obviously may be like gold dust, but proxys can easily be obtained from your LFGS. Most peoples WFB collection should more than cover it.

I cant recomend enough:

http://www.heroquestdownloads.com/ and http://www.doyouhq.com

As an aside I'd like to say thanks for this thread. I havnt looked at my copy of HQ for years before I read this. Now Im downloading stuff like a maniac and trying to get my gaming group round for a sunday night session.

Im also looking on e-bay for a copy of AHQ, they seem to be quite common, hopefully will have one soon!

Orinoco
24-07-2008, 21:51
is there a reason to play heroquest and not just warhammer quest?

Irisado
25-07-2008, 12:50
I haven't played Warhammer Quest, so I can't comment, but Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest proceeded it, so I suspect that it was based on elements from both of those games.

I would suggest playing all three games, and then deciding which one you like best.

Orinoco
25-07-2008, 23:32
I haven't played Warhammer Quest, so I can't comment, but Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest proceeded it, so I suspect that it was based on elements from both of those games.

I would suggest playing all three games, and then deciding which one you like best.

Quest is a classy game, sir. :D

gunmonkey
26-07-2008, 21:26
is there a reason to play heroquest and not just warhammer quest?

Just skimming through the WHQ rules, it is a lot more detailed and random than HQ (haven't played AHQ so no comment there). The random monster tables, the setup of monsters and who they will fight is far removed from the dungeon master setup of HQ. Plus the rules are far simpler to learn so a great many adventures can be crammed into a night rather than an hour or so of rechecking the rulebook over every little facet (the make-or-break of any game in my opinion).

Irisado
02-08-2008, 15:28
It sounds like is much more similar to Advanced Heroquest than Heroquest. In which case, I would probably like it a great deal, since Advanced Heroquest is a superior game to Heroquest in all respects save one; they are both as much fun as each other.

Speaking of Advanced Heroquest, has anyone ever played the Lichemaster campaign? I've got all the books for it, but I don't have the floor tiles, so I've not actually played it myself, but from that which I've read, killing the Lichemaster seems to be a pretty tall order. Any comments from those who played the Dungeonmaster or Heroes in that campaign would be of great interest to me.

Supremearchmarshal
06-08-2008, 11:08
I've played - or maybe I should say survived - the Lichemaster campaign. Well it isn't very hard in the beginning, but the difficulty ramps up with alarming speed.

The first quest is rather easy and bags the players a very cool magic item. The second quest is your standard fare, though there are a few interesting puzzles for the heroes.

The third quest is where it becomes nasty. The skaven have planty of tricks up their sleeves and the heroes will often have to break through ranks of skaven to get at the nu,merous missile troops and spellcasters - and quite possibly get outflanked by gutter runners, assassins etc. while they're at it. The final quest room also has a nasty surprise for them.

The fourth quest can vary in difficulty. Depending on what the heroes do and their combat tactics, it can be very hard or very easy. The quest room is always dangerous, however. The problem with this quest is really the upper level - the mixed monster matrix is the most difficult of all, but it is also very random. The upper level can be a breeze or you can end up like me and having to fight a Lord of Change, a Minotaur Lord and 2 ambush counters of monsters in the quest room :cries:

The last quest is a meat grinder. All 3 levels are deadly because they often surprise or handicap the heroes in some way. Most henchmen will die before the final fight. Make sure the heroes go and rest before the point of no return - otherwise they'll have no chance at all.

A pity that you don't have the floor plans since they're very well done IMO. Finding the originals will probably be almost impossible, but a google search will yield some sites for all kinds of fantasy floor plans. There's bound to be some you can use instead of them.

Now I'll return to obscurity for a while, but I do have some other ideas to improve AHQ that I hope to playtest during this month. Mainly I am thinking of a skill system to make heroes more different from each other, more henchmen and monsters (and those High Elf characters!). Hopefully I'll find the time to post them next month.

Irisado
06-08-2008, 12:22
When I have more time, I may try to design the floor plans myself as best as a I can. I'm not that great at making terrain, but they are only card floorplans, so even I should be able to it ;).

Thanks for the summary of levels, it seems as though there is quite a bit more of a random element to some of them than was the case with the Shattered Amulet scenario, but I don't mind that, as it keeps the scenario fresh for all the players and the GM.

I look forward to reading any improvements that you make as a result of playtesting. The last set of character/monster bonuses were really good, so I'll be pleased if you can add some more stuff.

azraelezekiel
21-08-2008, 11:31
Just found this thread.
I love HQ & AHQ got both games and all the expansions.
There used to be a really good site run by dwayne agin that had loads of resources on there.
New heroes, monsters, tiles, spells. The lot.
I even wrote a Skaven moster expansion set for HQ with cards, rules, spells and icons.

The site has gone by the wayside but I think there may be a way to access it.
I will post my findings in a while.

Mick

azraelezekiel
21-08-2008, 11:51
I know there are plans to revive agin's inn but you can view it here
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.aginsinn.com

Is descent really that good, I may have to try and get a copy.

Steam_Giant
22-08-2008, 20:12
Theres a site called "Ye Old Inn" (http://heroquest.drathe.com/) that is the offspring of dwaynes site. You can find all the Aginn stuff there :)

Link = http://heroquest.drathe.com/

Irisado
22-08-2008, 20:41
azraelezekiel: The you linked to wouldn't display unfortunately, but it seems that the infomation is available on the site that Steam Giant has posted the link to, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Steam Giant: That's a great link, thanks for posting that. There's quite a lot of information for me to sift through there, and I'm looking forward to perusing it.

Medic
22-08-2008, 22:04
Ok quick ask for the character designers here ;) Solo heroquest rules have the one player quest where you get a captain and some henchmen, could someone change these to some skaven characters for me? Cheers

zedeyejoe
24-08-2008, 10:37
I love (and still have) my copy of Advanced Heroquest. What I loved about AHQ was that the characters gradually took damage so at the end of the task it might be fairly iffy as to whether you would make it or not. And yes characters died (although you could haul the corpse over to a friendly healer to be brought back to life). But if the whole party got it in the neck, that was the end.

In warhammer quest, it was too easy to heal the party after each room. So IMHO it had no character to it.

Medic
26-08-2008, 15:38
Ok, in the AHQ rule book it mentions the artifacts ( Borins armour etc ) and gives them rules for AHQ. I was wondering if anyone could help me convert the other cards from the expansions like the Elf and Barbarian quests ?

Irisado
26-08-2008, 16:57
I may be able to, yes, but I can't get to my rulebook at the moment as I'm playing a battle, and the table is in the way. I'll see what I can do for you later in the week.

Medic
26-08-2008, 19:02
I may be able to, yes, but I can't get to my rulebook at the moment as I'm playing a battle, and the table is in the way. I'll see what I can do for you later in the week.

No probs take your time iam at work all week, i look forward to your ideas

Irisado
31-08-2008, 17:40
Medic: Just to clarify, would you like all the artifacts for all the Heroquest supplements converted to Advanced Heroquest rules, or just those which came with the Elf and Barbarian supplements?

I've come up with some ideas for the Barbarian artifacts, which are as follows:

Amulet of the North (Barbarian Only)

+1 Wound, +1 Intelligence when worn

Ring of Warmth

Grants the bearer immunity to the Chill Spell (no real change needed)

Armband of Ice

All Ice Spells will only wound the hero who wears this item if at least one critical hit is scored on the damage dice.

Snowshoes of Speed

The hero gain +2 Speed in blizzard/ice rooms and passages.

Spells

Chill: Range: Base contact, Damage Dice: 2

Armour offers no protection against this spell, so roll against the starting toughness of the hero. This does not apply to monsters who are accustomed to the cold of the dungeon.

Ice Storm: Range: Entire Room, Damage Dice: 3 (Cannot be cast if caster is in an enemy death zone)

All heroes in the room take three damage dice worth of damage, and no close combat can be fought for the remainder of that combat turn due to the intense nature of the blizzard. Any ranged shots will automatically miss. This applies to all heroes and monsters, unless they have special rules which would circumvent this (use your own logic for this ;))

Psychic Recovery: Range: Base contact. Restores D12/2 Intelligence.

Skate: Range: 2 squares. Target hero/monster ignores enemy death zones for one combat turn only.

Warmth: Range: Base Contact. Restores three wounds.

NB: The caster must not be in an enemy death zone for casting any of these spells except Chill. The caster can cast Psychic Recovery, Skate and Warmth on himself/herself.

I hope that these are helpful.

MarkNorfolk
04-09-2008, 10:52
I love (and still have) my copy of Advanced Heroquest. What I loved about AHQ was that the characters gradually took damage so at the end of the task it might be fairly iffy as to whether you would make it or not. And yes characters died (although you could haul the corpse over to a friendly healer to be brought back to life). But if the whole party got it in the neck, that was the end.

In warhammer quest, it was too easy to heal the party after each room. So IMHO it had no character to it.

Yes, but WHQ was pretty lethal generally so easy healing compensated. I remember battling to second level lookingforward to new monsters only to have the party slaughtered by Chaos Warriors is the first room!

Still, I enjoy WHQ and have fond memories of AHQ (never played the basic version) - it's the only real reason to have D12s in your dice collection.

Cheers
Mark

Medic
04-09-2008, 13:25
Thanks Irisado, as always a great help :p

Frostden
07-09-2008, 11:08
I remember hero quest. A friend of mine had it when we were like 7. We had absolutely no idea what we were doing, and pretty much just made up rules as we went along.
The rewards for quests were invariably HP, which had no upper limit. By the end of a play session heros typically had billions of hp.
One of my warlocks is a converted heroquest elf.

Irisado
19-09-2008, 14:08
Medic:

I've completed some Advanced Heroquest rules for some of the artifacts from the Elf Expansion Pack.

Here they are:

Ancient Staff (Elf or Wizard only)
If an enemy spell is targeted against the hero, it is immediately reflected back at the caster. Apply the full effects of the spell to the caster, (and any other monsters under the template, should it be an area effect spell).

Elven Boots
The hero gains +3 Speed.

Elven Bracers (Elf only)
+2 Wounds, +1 Intelligence

Treasure without Doom Scroll (Elf or Wizard only)(One use only)
Allows you to re-roll any search for treasure (room, chests etc). You must accept the second result, even if it worse.

Bone Wand (Wizard Only)
The Wizard can take control of up to four Skeletons and make them attack any other monsters in the room. If he chooses to do this, the Wizard cannot cast any other spells, or move for the duration of that combat. If the Wizard is in an enemy death zone, he cannot use this power, and if he is attacked by an enemy monster, he will immediately be forced to stop using the Bone Wand, in order to defend himself. As a result, any Skeletons will return to the control of the GM.

Elven Bow of Vindication (Elf Only)
This bow will score critical hits on the roll of an eleven or twelve. It comes with only four arrows. Replacement arrows are double the cost of a normal arrow.

Sky Orb
Negates any intelligence loss each time it is used, but can only be used four times before it runs out of power.

Those are the ones I have done so far. What do you think? Would you like the other items done too?

Supremearchmarshal
01-10-2008, 10:40
Ok, I've typed my large collection of into MS word and here's the result, which I have dubbed the Liber Monstrorum. Some of these have been playtested (the Dark Elves, Fimir and a few others), but quite a few haven't. It is also quite possible I didn't explain a special rule somewhere - please notify me if you spot this or any other inconsistency or typo. Enjoy!

Also added are rules for Halfling and Ogre Heroes. This is just something I've come up with yesterday and haven't tested at all.

Now as for the character classes I face a dilemma.

One option would be to simply do the classes as I have done for the Skaven.

The other would be to leave only the 2 basic classes, but include a large number of skills (e.g. Dodge, Spot Traps, First Aid, Double Shot, Lock Picking etc.) that could be acquired by training or instead of Fate Points. What do you guys think?

Irisado
01-10-2008, 21:32
Supremearchmarshal:

That's a really good set of rules you have published there. It must have taken you a very long time to write those. I know how long it takes to do these things (my Eldar guide too ages), so I empathise with amount of effort you will have put in.

I feel that you would be better to publish your work as a PDF though, as Word Documents can be altered! I found this out when I wrote my Eldar Guide, and promptly redid it as a PDF (although I had some other users here help me arrange it all). You can download a little piece of software (if you're using Vista), which enables you to save Word Files as PDF files, and then publish them accordingly, but I don't know what the procedure is with other versions of Windows.

I think that the Dark Elf and Orc rules look solid. There are just a few points:

1. Sea Dragon Cloak, there is a typo, SW should be WS.

2. Goblin Fanatics: How is random movement generated? Roll a D12 for the direction? i.e. 1-3 left, 4-6 straight ahead, 7-9 right, 10-12 backwards?

3. Savage Orcs: Group needs defining. Do you mean those in one room? Those in one corridor? If you have two rooms of Savage Orcs do you roll separately for each group in each room? I feel that the latter is that which you mean, but the wording just needs tidying up.

4. Gaze of Mork: Is every model in a straight line (in range) hit, or just the first one?

5. Cave Squig: I may be tempted to give this the 'cause disease' rule too. There's bound to be loads of bacteria in that foul mouth ;).

6. Scorpion: Different damage dice levels? Say four for the claws, and five for the tail? Not a critical change, just a thought.

I'm concerned that some of the daemons may be a touch overpowered, although I understand why you have made widespread use of the invulnerable rule.

The trouble is that I don't see any Lesser Daemons, other than those of Tzeentch as being invulnerable. I feel Bloodletter should have the regenerate rule instead, and Daemonettes just don't need it at all. I'm not sure Plaguebearers would regenerate either, as their high toughness is that which saves them more than anything.

The Great Unclean One may also be too tough, but I think playtesting him before changing him is the way to go in this case.

A couple of other points:

1. Juggernaught: Is the crush attack an option, or must it always be used? It's not clear from the description.

2. Aura of Slaanesh: I think this is way too powerful, perhaps halving the bravery and intelligence of all heroes within six squares would be better? After all a Wizard is far more likely to be able to resist the charms of Slaanesh than the Barbarian, hence he should suffer less of an intelligence penalty.

Overall, this is a fantastic set of rules, so please don't feel that you have to make many changes, I've just posted a few of my thoughts for you to see whether you may want to make some minor alterations.

Supremearchmarshal
02-10-2008, 11:43
Supremearchmarshal:

That's a really good set of rules you have published there. It must have taken you a very long time to write those. I know how long it takes to do these things (my Eldar guide too ages), so I empathise with amount of effort you will have put in.

Well it did take a long time, but most of it I've already done before - I just had to type it.

I feel that you would be better to publish your work as a PDF though, as Word Documents can be altered! I found this out when I wrote my Eldar Guide, and promptly redid it as a PDF (although I had some other users here help me arrange it all). You can download a little piece of software (if you're using Vista), which enables you to save Word Files as PDF files, and then publish them accordingly, but I don't know what the procedure is with other versions of Windows.

Good point, will do.

1. Sea Dragon Cloak, there is a typo, SW should be WS.

2. Goblin Fanatics: How is random movement generated? Roll a D12 for the direction? i.e. 1-3 left, 4-6 straight ahead, 7-9 right, 10-12 backwards?

3. Savage Orcs: Group needs defining. Do you mean those in one room? Those in one corridor? If you have two rooms of Savage Orcs do you roll separately for each group in each room? I feel that the latter is that which you mean, but the wording just needs tidying up.

Fixed. I took your suggestion for the random movement - thanks!

4. Gaze of Mork: Is every model in a straight line (in range) hit, or just the first one?

5. Cave Squig: I may be tempted to give this the 'cause disease' rule too. There's bound to be loads of bacteria in that foul mouth ;).

Heh, yeah being bitten by one would be really gross (if you survive!), but I think it's powerful enough as-is.

6. Scorpion: Different damage dice levels? Say four for the claws, and five for the tail? Not a critical change, just a thought.

I've decided to give him Disease (tail attack only) to make him more distinct from the Spider (and to a lesser extent the Manticore). Think of it as a really bad poison that has to be treated with an antidote.

The trouble is that I don't see any Lesser Daemons, other than those of Tzeentch as being invulnerable. I feel Bloodletter should have the regenerate rule instead, and Daemonettes just don't need it at all. I'm not sure Plaguebearers would regenerate either, as their high toughness is that which saves them more than anything.

You're right about the Daemons - I essentially copied the Daemonette from the rulebook, but I now realise it isn't such a good idea to give the Lesser Daemons Invulnerable. I gave the Bloodletter +1 T instead and dropped his cost considerably, while the Daemonette got a simple points drop . The Regenerate rule for the Plaguebearers simulates thei Feel no Pain, and I think they used to have it waaay back in the days of RoC.

The Great Unclean One may also be too tough, but I think playtesting him before changing him is the way to go in this case.

Better get a really powerful group of heroes! The Greater Daemons are meant for groups which have finished at least 2 major quests (e.g. Lichemaster and Shattered Amulet)

1. Juggernaught: Is the crush attack an option, or must it always be used? It's not clear from the description.

It's the only listed weapon for the Juggernaut, so it must use it. I mentioned it's a claw attack because of things like Death Zones and Critical/Fumble chances. I'll try to think of something to make it clearer.

2. Aura of Slaanesh: I think this is way too powerful, perhaps halving the bravery and intelligence of all heroes within six squares would be better? After all a Wizard is far more likely to be able to resist the charms of Slaanesh than the Barbarian, hence he should suffer less of an intelligence penalty.

I'm not sure I understand you here - why would halving be better than -2? Almost all Heroes will have BR and INT at least 6.

Overall, this is a fantastic set of rules, so please don't feel that you have to make many changes, I've just posted a few of my thoughts for you to see whether you may want to make some minor alterations.

Thank you, and I really appreciate your help here.

I'll probably be expanding this list (Lizardmen and Chaos Dwarfs are missing), though I do have a major problem with the Chaos Dwarfs - what about their gunpower? Seems AHQ takes place in an earlier age then Warhammer Fantasy Battle/WFRP.

Here's the corrected list, in PDF format:

Irisado
02-10-2008, 12:11
I've decided to give him Disease (tail attack only) to make him more distinct from the Spider (and to a lesser extent the Manticore). Think of it as a really bad poison that has to be treated with an antidote.

Okay, that seems logical, let's leave it as it stands.

You're right about the Daemons - I essentially copied the Daemonette from the rulebook, but I now realise it isn't such a good idea to give the Lesser Daemons Invulnerable. I gave the Bloodletter +1 T instead and dropped his cost considerably, while the Daemonette got a simple points drop . The Regenerate rule for the Plaguebearers simulates thei Feel no Pain, and I think they used to have it waaay back in the days of RoC.

Extra toughness for the Bloodletter instead of invulnerable makes sense, and you could be right about the Plaguebearers. I can't remember off hand though, and my Realms of Chaos books are all back in Hertfordshire, but if I get chance at Christmas (when I'll be back there), I'll look it up. You're probably right though, so keeping it seems okay.

I'm not sure I understand you here - why would halving be better than -2? Almost all Heroes will have BR and INT at least 6.

I didn't see the minus sign in front of the two in the Word Document, so I thought you were reducing all the Br/Int values to two, rather than by two :angel:. Now that I've read it correctly, I would leave it as it is.

Thank you, and I really appreciate your help here.

Anytime, I love working on projects for Advanced Heroquest, and thanks to you for putting a link to this thread in your signature, the more people who get involved with this thread the better, so some advertising is very much appreciated.

I'll probably be expanding this list (Lizardmen and Chaos Dwarfs are missing), though I do have a major problem with the Chaos Dwarfs - what about their gunpower? Seems AHQ takes place in an earlier age then Warhammer Fantasy Battle/WFRP.

Chaos Dwarves will be a problem, but I still think it's possible to include some gunpower weapons, after all didn't Skaven have Jezzails (sp. ?) when Advanced Heroquest first came out? The key will be to restrict the type and the range. I think if you make them short ranged, but hard hitting that will be key, maybe gun powder should allow a critical on an 11 or 12 for ranged weapons? Or perhaps even a 10-12 for models who wear no armour at all? Just some initial thoughts, but I do believe that gun powder weapons are best represented by having a greater chance of scoring critical hits.

Slaiks
22-10-2008, 21:27
Hey everyone!

My brother recently purchased a copy of AHQ in great condition, and while i was hesitant to to start playing..... now its all i do with my spare time. We just made our way through the first dungeon in the Quest for the Shattered Amulet. But seeing how quickly we're making our way through this scenario.... I started wondering where I could find some of the other scenarios published in White Dwarf.

A friend from Ireland thats playing with us is having his Terror in the Dark set sent over, Eyes of Chaos was added to the rulebook contained in purchased AHQ, and I've made some contacts to get copies of the rest published in White Dwarf. I've seen some of the remaining scenarios I want to obtain on ebay, but i think its a last resort.

Still though, the way we play and how much the group differs in preference I think it would be great to get some other influences as far as scenarios or new rules go. If anyone has any they've composed and tested for balance... I would love to take a look at them.

Just send me a message on AIM (stucco3dp), MSN (slaiks@hotmail.com), or just attach them in emails ( irishmcgx@yahoo.com)

This thread needs a breath of fresh air!

Irisado
22-10-2008, 22:00
Welcome to Warseer.

I think you'll find that there are players out there who have created their own scenarios. I haven't done so myself, but I have played Heroquest using Advanced Heroquest rules, which tends to work quite well, so you may wish to have a go at this.

There are numerous White Dwarf issues in which Advanced Heroquest scenarios were published. There is a WD Database on GW online (or at least there was before the site update) which may give you access to some of them, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope, as said issues are all quite old.

I have a list of the issues concerned, but it's in Hertfordshire, rather than Nottingham, so I would have to e-mail it to you at a later date.

Slaiks
22-10-2008, 22:42
This is the issue list Iv'e been working with from the FAQ on http://greywolf.critter.net/ahq/faq.htm

Issue Article
#121 The Quest for Sonneklinge (scenario and Jade spell list)
#122 The Priests of Pleasure
#125 The Dark Beneath the World (scenario and Amethyst spell list)
#134 The Trollslayer's Oath
#138 Henchmen (new followers for AHQ: the Dwarf Trollslayer, the Elf Wardancer, the Human Captain, and the Wizard's Apprentice -- this material is duplicated in Terror in the Dark)
#139 Treasure
#145 The Eyes of Chaos (has rules for both AHQ and HQ)
#150 The Changing Faces of Tzeench
#159 Rivers of Blood

I think thats mostly it except for Terror in the Dark.

Supremearchmarshal
23-10-2008, 10:20
Yep, that's all as far as I know. If you're looking for more material, have a look through this thread. I've made quite a few new mosters (some tested, some not), there's some magic items by Irisado etc.

Here's another AHQ site in case you missed it: http://www.kabay.arc.net.au/
I haven't tried any of the sufff there, but the spells in particular seem interesting.

Irisado
23-10-2008, 11:34
I think that's all the issues of White Dwarf covered as far as Advanced Heroquest is concerned.

I haven't come across that site before Supremearchmarshal, so thanks for that link. I will take a look at it later on.

John Wayne II
23-10-2008, 21:19
Heroquest is how I discovered the "hobby". Looked for it, failed to find it, and ended up in a GW shop instead. Is there any way for me to get my grubby hands on Advanced Heroquest? Having the rules, at the very least, would be nice. I'm a total beginner where this is concerned, so I don't know where to start. :)

Irisado
24-10-2008, 13:33
I would imagine that e-bay is your best bet, but even then I'm not sure how commonly available it's going to be.

A quick search on google has turned up lots of websites, many of which are links in this thread, and a copy of Advanced Heroquest on ebay for over one hundred dollars in the US, and nothing in the UK, although a more thorough search would be needed.

It's getting increasingly hard to get hold of copies of this game (and the supplement Terror in the Dark, for which I have the rules, but not the figures or board pieces, so if anyone does have those and wants to sell/trade them, please PM me) according to some information I've seen that google search.

If ebay fails to help you, perhaps putting up a 'wanted' thread in the trading forum may prove successful.

To be honest though, I think you are going to be struggling to get hold of a copy now though.

John Wayne II
25-10-2008, 14:22
I would imagine that e-bay is your best bet, but even then I'm not sure how commonly available it's going to be.

A quick search on google has turned up lots of websites, many of which are links in this thread, and a copy of Advanced Heroquest on ebay for over one hundred dollars in the US, and nothing in the UK, although a more thorough search would be needed.

It's getting increasingly hard to get hold of copies of this game (and the supplement Terror in the Dark, for which I have the rules, but not the figures or board pieces, so if anyone does have those and wants to sell/trade them, please PM me) according to some information I've seen that google search.

If ebay fails to help you, perhaps putting up a 'wanted' thread in the trading forum may prove successful.

To be honest though, I think you are going to be struggling to get hold of a copy now though.

Ok, thanks. I've pretty much downloaded all there is to have from the Ye Olde Inn site. I've noticed from the discussion here that you are discussing Advanced Heroquest, but I can't seem to find the rules for it anywhere (I've only got the Heroquest ones). Any ideas as to where I can find them?

Luthor
25-10-2008, 17:15
Heroquest is my favorite game, although I haven't played it in many a year. Your best bet would be to download all the components (including the board), and then proxying all the remaining with either GW or Reaper minis.

Heroquest brings back many memories of sites like Agins Inn (sadly gone now), and Oldscratch's (you won't find a funnier forum on the net, partly because the same 10 people have been posting since the beginning.) Ah, good memories.

Irisado
25-10-2008, 17:17
Ok, thanks. I've pretty much downloaded all there is to have from the Ye Olde Inn site. I've noticed from the discussion here that you are discussing Advanced Heroquest, but I can't seem to find the rules for it anywhere (I've only got the Heroquest ones). Any ideas as to where I can find them?

The only way to get the rules for Advanced Heroquest as far as I know is to get them from e-bay, which may be quite difficult, or see if anyone has a copy they are willing to sell, which is highly unlikely, as most people will most likely want to hold on to such a collectors item.

There are lots of websites out there, but they only offer expansion material which has been designed by players of the game (in much the same vein as Supremearchmarshal and myself have done in this thread), so wouldn't help you to learn the core rules.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of such less than optimistic news.

I think you'll just have to keep an eye out on e-bay and hope that, as in the words of Mr Macawber, something will turn up.

Supremearchmarshal
25-10-2008, 18:39
There's always Warhammer Quest as an alternative. It's not exactly common, and I like AHQ more, but you can find it at ebay quite easily.

John Wayne II
26-10-2008, 18:17
Ok, thanks for the advice everybody. I've been PMed about this a couple of times, and now I have a better idea as to where I could get my hands on a set. You may go back to your regularly scheduled rules theorising. ;)

Medic
02-11-2008, 12:05
hi all, just a quick post to say iam still around. Was laid off from work, and have had to put the hobby on hold. I now have a new job, and iam looking forward to catching up on anything i've missed.

Irisado
04-11-2008, 10:42
hi all, just a quick post to say iam still around. Was laid off from work, and have had to put the hobby on hold. I now have a new job, and iam looking forward to catching up on anything i've missed.

It's good to have you back.

If you need any more Heroquest to Advanced Heroquest rule changes for magic items from the supplementary sets, feel free to ask, and I shall come up with some rules for you.

Medic
06-11-2008, 20:08
yeah i might need some more soon if you don't mind:D. got a few games this weekend ( making our way through terror in the dark quest)

Irisado
06-11-2008, 20:52
I hope that you enjoy Terror in the Dark. Although I have the rules for it, I've never actually played it, due to not having the floor tiles, so please let me know how it goes.

Medic
11-11-2008, 17:33
Quick rules request if possable, you may remember i talked about doing a skaven campaign using skaven characters instead of usual ones. we're close to starting it set in an old lustria temple to fit in with the history of clan pestallians. can i ask for some rules for lizard men if poss? as they were the main enemies in lustria. and any other creatures you think might be good to include?.

cheers medic

Supremearchmarshal
11-11-2008, 18:29
I'll see what I can do. ;)

Supremearchmarshal
15-11-2008, 20:14
Ok, here's a draft version of the Lizardmen. I didn't think too much about the Point Values, so they may well be a bit off.

I also believe inventing an alternate set of Hazards for a Lizardmen dungeon would greatly enhance the mood. :)

Have fun!

Medic
15-11-2008, 21:52
I can't open it lol. can you change it to something else?:)

Supremearchmarshal
15-11-2008, 22:47
Ok, how about this?

Irisado
16-11-2008, 10:51
It opens okay for me as a PDF.

Once again, a great job Supremearchmarshal, so thanks for taking the time to create those rules.

I don't know a great deal about Lizardmen, but everything looks balanced enough to me, and I like the special rules that you have outlined, they appear very well thought out.

Have you had a chance to play test any of your previous PDF rules for Chaos yet? I remember we were talking about the Daemons and whether or not some of them might not be quite balanced. Have you managed to get the chance to see how they play?

Medic
16-11-2008, 15:56
Ok, how about this?

works now, thanks for taking the time to do it.;)

Supremearchmarshal
17-11-2008, 12:32
It opens okay for me as a PDF.

Once again, a great job Supremearchmarshal, so thanks for taking the time to create those rules.

I don't know a great deal about Lizardmen, but everything looks balanced enough to me, and I like the special rules that you have outlined, they appear very well thought out.

Have you had a chance to play test any of your previous PDF rules for Chaos yet? I remember we were talking about the Daemons and whether or not some of them might not be quite balanced. Have you managed to get the chance to see how they play?

Yep, the AHQ ruleset is both simple and flexible. Jervis Johnson's best game besides Blood Bowl.

Unfortunately I haven't tested the rules yet because I currently lack suitable players... but I'll probably manage to get some for the holidays.

works now, thanks for taking the time to do it.;)

Hey no problem. :) I like designing rules, and don't have much to do t the moment lol.

Just a warning though: they're pretty powerful opponents. Inexperienced Heroes won't last long against these guys, but if they manage to get through the Lichemaster campaign it should be ok.

Medic
07-12-2008, 10:01
Maybe we could all collaborate on a PDF for all the races we've all talked about already?

Irisado
07-12-2008, 12:41
Maybe we could all collaborate on a PDF for all the races we've all talked about already?

You a mean a complete PDF document, into which all the rules could be placed?

I don't see that this would be a problem as long as Supremearchmarshal has kept all the original Word documents, but we would need to check with him that it would be okay to combine all the rules together.

I would happy to put all the rules together, and attach the PDF to this thread in the opening post as a resource for Advanced Heroquest players, providing Supremearchmarshal is in agreement.

As for the rules I created, I don't have the originals, but I could just cut and paste from this thread into Word, do some tidying up, and then add those to the PDF too.

What do you think Supremearchmarshal?

Medic
07-12-2008, 13:30
You a mean a complete PDF document, into which all the rules could be placed?

I don't see that this would be a problem as long as Supremearchmarshal has kept all the original Word documents, but we would need to check with him that it would be okay to combine all the rules together.

I would happy to put all the rules together, and attach the PDF to this thread in the opening post as a resource for Advanced Heroquest players, providing Supremearchmarshal is in agreement.

As for the rules I created, I don't have the originals, but I could just cut and paste from this thread into Word, do some tidying up, and then add those to the PDF too.

What do you think Supremearchmarshal?

Yeah you get me, maybe think of some other races which could be used as well?

Medic
22-12-2008, 22:28
urgent question, anyone use heroscribe? i've made a few quests for heroquest with it. does anyone know which program to use to add the text and the instructions?

thanks medic

Supremearchmarshal
23-12-2008, 10:48
Sorry guys, I managed to somehow completely miss your posts 3 weeks ago :o

@Irisado: Feel free to combine all our stuff into one document. I can mail the Word document with the monsters to you if you PM me your address.

What we still need though is extra "classes" or skills/special abilities for the Heroes. Maybe some new henchmen too.

urgent question, anyone use heroscribe? i've made a few quests for heroquest with it. does anyone know which program to use to add the text and the instructions?

thanks medic

Well their FAQ says:

We are working on it.
It will not be on the next release, though.

Irisado
23-12-2008, 12:42
I'm happy to work all the documents into a PDF, I'll send you a PM with my details.

I'm currently pulling my hair out with a piece of MA coursework though, so it may take a while for me to put the PDF together, but sometime before 1st January will be my moving target.

Supremearchmarshal
23-12-2008, 18:08
Ok, I've sent you the email.

King Vyper
23-12-2008, 19:11
I have read through this thread and I noticed no one has brought this up interesting fact. When Advanced Heroquest was created GW also made it compatible with Warhammmer Fantasy Role play and Warhammer Fantasy Battle.

If you can get it find a copy of the 1st Ed Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Book.
It has rules for converting AHQ Characters and Monsters to WHFRP to WHFB and Back.:eek::D:cheese:

That Right Gents, WHFRP had a huge Bestiary including Fimir and Fimir Characters, Zoats, and all kinds of crazy stuff. You can even convert stuff from Slaves of Darkness. :D

Irisado
22-01-2009, 10:54
I've added Supremearchmarshal's rules for alternative monsters as a zip file to the first post of this thread. Please feel free to make use of this resource. Thanks to Supremearchmarshal for all his work on these rules.

I had wanted to tinker with the format a little, but I couldn't manage to get the changes I had planned to work, so in view of the fact that I have had the file for some time, I decided just to attach it as it was.

I hope that Advanced Heroquest players find it useful.

Medic
23-01-2009, 23:04
Great work Irisado, hopefully some players will make use of it. I know i will use it. My groups now managed a few big adventures, so i might throw some of these at them soon:evilgrin:

Irisado
24-01-2009, 11:29
Great work Irisado, hopefully some players will make use of it. I know i will use it. My groups now managed a few big adventures, so i might throw some of these at them soon:evilgrin:

If you do use any of the alternative monsters, please report back on how they perform, as Supremearchmarshal did say that some have been less play tested than others, so if you find any which are over/underpowered, please let us know.

Medic
24-01-2009, 17:40
If you do use any of the alternative monsters, please report back on how they perform, as Supremearchmarshal did say that some have been less play tested than others, so if you find any which are over/underpowered, please let us know.

will do as soon as i've tried them out....:)

Supremearchmarshal
25-01-2009, 10:20
That would be great Medic, thanks.

I'll get the chance to play few games of AHQ during February, so I'll get some playtesting done too.

I've also been thinking about making some sort of "classes" system for the heroes, to give them more variety. Any ideas about what classes there should be?

Irisado
25-01-2009, 10:30
I've also been thinking about making some sort of "classes" system for the heroes, to give them more variety. Any ideas about what classes there should be?

Just to clarify, do you mean classes as in social status, or classes as in the role they perform, i.e. Warrior, Wizard, Follower, Priest, Elite Swordsman etc?

Medic
25-01-2009, 11:27
have either of you read the dark heresy rulebook or it supplements? i know its set in he 40k setting but depending on where your born it dictates your characters skills and job role i.e assassin guardsman that sort of thing. maybe we could do this for AH? like propose some new character types like witch hunter, cultist, or a sewerjack like in the book skaven slayer? just my thoughts:p

Supremearchmarshal
25-01-2009, 17:01
Just to clarify, do you mean classes as in social status, or classes as in the role they perform, i.e. Warrior, Wizard, Follower, Priest, Elite Swordsman etc?

I meant the role they perform - social classes are important in more character-driven RPGs, but in my opinion they wouldn't reall count for much AHQ.

have either of you read the dark heresy rulebook or it supplements? i know its set in he 40k setting but depending on where your born it dictates your characters skills and job role i.e assassin guardsman that sort of thing. maybe we could do this for AH? like propose some new character types like witch hunter, cultist, or a sewerjack like in the book skaven slayer? just my thoughts:p

Yeah, I was thinking of character "types" like that. Sewerjack and Witch Hunter sound really fitting to the "feel" of the Warhammer world :)

Just some more ideas off the top of my head:
Knight of the Realm
Warrior-Priest of Sigmar
High Elf Sword-Master
Halfling Rogue
Elven Marksman
Pit Fighter
Druid (or Priest of Taal)
Renegade Chaos Warrior
Assassin

The trick would be to make them characterful, while keeping them balanced and not overly complicated to use.

Irisado
25-01-2009, 17:29
I meant the role they perform - social classes are important in more character-driven RPGs, but in my opinion they wouldn't reall count for much AHQ.

Okay, that's good, because this is what I thought you meant, I just wanted to be sure.

I haven't read Dark Heresy, but it sounds as though these are the sorts of lines to go along.

There were also similar roles for the player characters in a very old, but very good game called Dungeonquest, but I don't know if either of you are familiar with that.

I would say that the categories that have been mentioned are good ones, but I might also be tempted to add a Sorcerer/Sorceress type character, as I envisage them as being different from Wizards, in that they can cast more powerful/dangerous (to both target and user) spells.

Medic
25-01-2009, 18:24
Okay, that's good, because this is what I thought you meant, I just wanted to be sure.

I haven't read Dark Heresy, but it sounds as though these are the sorts of lines to go along.

There were also similar roles for the player characters in a very old, but very good game called Dungeonquest, but I don't know if either of you are familiar with that.

I would say that the categories that have been mentioned are good ones, but I might also be tempted to add a Sorcerer/Sorceress type character, as I envisage them as being different from Wizards, in that they can cast more powerful/dangerous (to both target and user) spells.

The sorcerer/sorceress sound like an excellent idea, maybe we could make them like chaos orientated following either one of the chaos gods for the bad side at least,or a rogue sorcerer type.( i love nurgle by the way i have a death guard chaos marine army in the making)

Irisado
25-01-2009, 22:01
The sorcerer/sorceress sound like an excellent idea, maybe we could make them like chaos orientated following either one of the chaos gods for the bad side at least,or a rogue sorcerer type.( i love nurgle by the way i have a death guard chaos marine army in the making)

The good news is that you can have Sorcerers and Sorceresses that are both good and evil, since contrary to that which modern GW background would have you believe, they fall into both camps. They just tend to use a different kind of magic compared to Wizards.

I see Sorcerers/Sorceresses as being risk takers. In general, they have more powerful magic than a Wizard, but at the same time it can go horribly wrong, as the energies required to cast some of their spells can be difficult to control.

Whereas many Wizards are just content to use magic missiles or similar spells (although there are exceptions), I see Sorcerers/Sorceresses as being much more destructive, manipulative, and also subtle.

While they can cast magic missiles, they tend to be more powerful, and they also tend to dabble with spells which allow them to distort space and time, transform objects, create holes in reality, and control peoples' minds. They are just a step up from a Wizard in my opinion in terms of their knowledge.

Quite how to represent all of this in Advanced Heroquest, I'm not sure, but between all of us, I'm sure we could come up with something.

Supremearchmarshal
26-01-2009, 20:09
Well here's some of my ideas for the Sorcerer's abilities. Note that some of these ideas are mutually exclusive (i.e he should only get one or two of them):

1. cast spells without needing components
2. don't need to learn spells, but instead receive a random number of castings of every spell for each expedition.
3. can choose which type of magic he will use for each expedition (e.g. bright spells for the first expedition, light for the second etc.)
4. his spells are stronger, with a greater range, more damage dice, harder to resist etc.

In all cases casting spells would incur a small (probably 1 in 12) chance of something going quite wrong (e.g daemonic attack, spell backfires, spell drains sorcerer's characteristics).

Any of these ideas sound good?

Irisado
26-01-2009, 20:15
I like all of these ideas.

I would say that you could have a system whereby the more damage dice that are rolled for certain very powerful spells, the greater the chance that something may go wrong, i.e. a certain number of 1s could cause the Sorcerer/Sorceress to suffer wounds, a bit like 'fumbling a spell'.

The ideas you have outlined look very workable to me, they are definitely a good starting point.

Medic
26-01-2009, 21:25
maybe we could make a smaller version of the miscast table in fantasy? knock it down to 1D6 instead of 2D6?:)

Irisado
26-01-2009, 21:31
maybe we could make a smaller version of the miscast table in fantasy? knock it down to 1D6 instead of 2D6?:)

It's a nice idea, but I feel it would be better to keep the D6 out of the game where possible, as it adds an unnecessary layer in terms of extra dice in my opinion.

Just working out a way of a roll of a one on a D12 equating to a fumble when casting some very powerful spells shouldn't pose too much of a problem (I hope), so I think it's better to stick with using the standard Advanced Heroquest dice.

Medic
26-01-2009, 21:38
It's a nice idea, but I feel it would be better to keep the D6 out of the game where possible, as it adds an unnecessary layer in terms of extra dice in my opinion.

Just working out a way of a roll of a one on a D12 equating to a fumble when casting some very powerful spells shouldn't pose too much of a problem (I hope), so I think it's better to stick with using the standard Advanced Heroquest dice.

I forgot about it being D12 lol was playing fantasy earlier my bad:p. I was thinking about the sewerjack, maybe give him half price rope, iron spikes and things like that?

Irisado
26-01-2009, 21:46
I forgot about it being D12 lol was playing fantasy earlier my bad:p. I was thinking about the sewerjack, maybe give him half price rope, iron spikes and things like that?

No worries :).

I'm not sure that a Sorcerer or Sorceress would be willing to carry that sort of equipment. I think that by denying them the ability to take such accessories would help to balance them out relative to the Wizard. A Wizard is generally more of a team player when it comes to Advanced Heroquest than a Sorcerer/Sorceress in my opinion.

Medic
26-01-2009, 21:49
No worries :).

I'm not sure that a Sorcerer or Sorceress would be willing to carry that sort of equipment. I think that by denying them the ability to take such accessories would help to balance them out relative to the Wizard. A Wizard is generally more of a team player when it comes to Advanced Heroquest than a Sorcerer/Sorceress in my opinion.

I meant the sewerjack (read it again lol;) joke by the way), i'll leave the magic to you two:)

Irisado
26-01-2009, 21:55
I meant the sewerjack (read it again lol;) joke by the way), i'll leave the magic to you two:)

Feel free to chime in with ideas about the magic, you are the other major contributor this thread, so your thoughts are always welcome.

I'm afraid I don't get the joke though :confused:.

Medic
26-01-2009, 21:59
Feel free to chime in with ideas about the magic, you are the other major contributor this thread, so your thoughts are always welcome.

I'm afraid I don't get the joke though :confused:.

the joke was in the post about the rope i started the sentence "with i was thinking about the sewerjack" get it now?:)

Voltarol
01-02-2009, 06:25
Hi guys - does anyone have a pdf of the Terror in the Dark AHQ expansion? I bought most (and I use that word carefully) of the expansion at a car boot sale, but the rules are little more than papermache. All this talk about AHQ has got me in the mood for a game and I never played the TinD expansion.

Hope someone can help : )

Medic
01-02-2009, 09:56
You could try here, not sure if its on here though?:eyebrows:

http://greywolf.critter.net/ahq.htm

I know i've seen them somewhere i'll look when i've got a bit more time.

Medic

Irisado
01-02-2009, 11:34
Voltarol: Welcome to the forum.

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot obtain such a PDF, since it would be an infringement of GW's copyright for someone to create such a document and post it.

As Grey Wolf's page indicates, your best bet is E-Bay, but the big problem will be cost, as Advanced Heroquest isn't something that's easy to get hold of these days.

Voltarol
01-02-2009, 12:10
Hi guys. Well yes, Irisado, you're right there. I wasn't expecting a copy sanctioned by GW, otherwise I would have trawled the GW site. GW have allowed many game titles to be converted to PDFs for free download on numerous sites (Necromunda, Mordenheim, etc) and MB games provided all of the HQ rules / expansions for free DL off their site for years. I guess that I was just hoping someone might chuck me a copy. If that's frowned upon here, I apologise and retract my request - no hard feelings : )

Irisado
01-02-2009, 12:39
If GW sanction the use of PDFs for certain websites, and games, they have their own Epic: EA rules available for download as a PDF, for example, then this is okay. The problem is that no such permission exists for Advanced Heroquest as far as I know.

As a result, if fans were to scan the rules into their computers, and send them to people as PDFs, it would be a breach of GW copyright, so this is where the problem lies.

Voltarol
06-02-2009, 16:40
Well the good news is, I finally managed to speak with a guy at Games Workshop (they never responded to my emails). He said that as long as the game was out of print and that the Terror In The Dark rules were not being made available as a permanent download link, and that none of the original artwork for the game tiles were included, that they were for private use and not to be resold, then a PDF or photocopy of the original rules would be acceptable. They intend to make them available at some point on their specialist games site but it's a slow, laborious job.

So if anyone has a copy of the Terror in the Dark rules and is willing to PM me a pdf, I would be very grateful : )

Irisado
05-03-2009, 20:01
It's been a while since we talked about the ideas we were generating about the Sorcerer/Sorceress character, and I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to do any more work on that?

I've been a bit to busy with postgraduate study to be able to have the time to sit down and think about rules, but I may have some time over Easter if nobody has come up with anything concrete yet.

On the other issue, that is to say play testing, has anyone used any of the more experimental characters or monsters which Supremearchmarshal created?

Due to being at university, I don't have any of my stuff with me, or any opponents for that matter, so I can't conduct any play testing at the moment, so I'm relying on others for feedback on the experimental character and monster designs. Does anyone have any?

gunmonkey
17-04-2009, 23:32
Ok so I resurrected this thread to try divert some attention from the ever growing one in Fantasy Rumours.

Anyways, as a 20th Anniversary celebration I am trying to knock together a full set of minis and extras for HQ and its expansions. Would make a PLog but a lack of digital camera ended that. So heres my list of stuff and proxies I am using:

Barbarian - AoW Barbarian Hero
Dwarf - GW White Dwarf mini (the 200th issue one)
Elf - the Aenur mini I got free when Mordheim came out
Wizard - High Elf plastic mage

Goblins - undecided on regular or night goblin
Orcs - plastic Orcs I got for a Mordheim campaign that never materialised
Fimir - hard one, probably Lizardmen Temple guard with Kroot heads (for the beaks) and sculpt a single eye onto them
Skeletons - plastic Vampire Count skeletons
Zombies - plastic Vampire Count zombies
Mummies - gonna try scuplt some bandages onto my spare zombies
Chaos Warriors - thinking of the now Collector range Champions of chaos, one for each power (and either Aekhold Helbrass or Harry the Hammer for Tzeentch)
Chaos Sorceror - probably the corpse cart driver
Gargoyle - my plan is a massive combination of Tyranid Broodlord, some LoTR bat wings and a Battle Masters wolf head

So far I have the Orcs done (8 models over about 7 months, quite good for me) and moving onto skellies, zombies and mummies thanks to a cheap VC Battalion.

Irisado
18-04-2009, 15:52
This sounds like an interesting project, so please keep us updated with your progress.

The only proxy I'm not sure about is using the Corpse Cart driver for the Chaos Sorcerer. I feel that he's a bit too tatty to represent a powerful servant of Chaos, so if I think of a better model to represent the Chaos Sorcerer, I'll let you know.

gunmonkey
18-04-2009, 16:23
Yeah but it was more for convenience sake as I already have it. Maybe if I bother more I will get something like the Heinrich Kemmler figure, since the game model is mainly used to represent special characters in the game so just has to be evil enough looking.

Medic
24-12-2009, 20:40
Ok, after playing Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest with friends for the last year, iam thinking of updating the figures and furniture if possable. Anyone with any ideas would be a great help :):angel:

Irisado
24-12-2009, 20:53
Ok, after playing Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest with friends for the last year, iam thinking of updating the figures and furniture if possable. Anyone with any ideas would be a great help :):angel:

It might have been better to ask the moderators if raising the Heroquest thread from the dead to work on this would have been okay, as, speaking personally, I would have liked to keep all the Heroquest work together, but if you prefer to separate it, then that's fair enough (let me know if you would like it merged though, and I'll ask the moderators if they would agree to this).

What sort of updates are you looking for to the figures and furniture? As it's easier to come up with ideas if you were able to be a bit more specific. Also, are there any pieces in particular which you would like to focus on? The rules in the Advanced Heroquest rulebook are already reasonably detailed for the figures and some furniture pieces after all.

I'm happy to help though if you can provide more details.

Medic
24-12-2009, 21:00
yeah we can merge it, as we were quite involved in ideas if i remember. not been on much recently as me and the misses have had our second child, so not much time for gaming :cries:.
I am just looking to get newer better looking models to replace the older ones, if you get what i mean?

Irisado
24-12-2009, 21:24
I've asked the moderators if this can be merged with the main thread, so we will see what they say.

Better looking models for the heroes rather than the furniture I assume ;)? If so, I'm not certain that there are that many good candidates among the GW figure range, although some of the Mordheim figures could be possibilities, especially if you wanted to field a band from the same race exploring the dungeon in question.

There could well be some other ranges out there as well which have nothing to do with GW, but Supremearchmarshall will probably have a better idea about that than me, so let's see if he can be more helpful regarding this particular issue.

threewolftats
26-12-2009, 13:13
for new figs, try hasslefree miniatures... they do some barbarians and such.... you are spoilt for choice for creatures in the GW range... esp the new skaven.... for crates/chests try antenocitis workshop they do some stuff like that, or hirst arts do a mould for dungeon furniture..... IIRC board wise there are a couple of companiesmaking 3d dungeon sets... or Hirst arts again....

hope any of that is useful....TWTs

Sleazy
31-12-2009, 11:43
Heresy do perfect minis for the heros and the undead. orcs and goblins are easy to do, just choose whichever range you like. A bloodthirster or balrog would work for the gargoyle (even better would be a RT era 'thirster as its a better size for HQ). Plenty of nice chaos sorceror and warrior minis about for the evil wizard and warriors. Fimir havent been made for donkeys but check out the "bogs" here: http://www.bloodmoonminis.com/store.html.

Medic
17-01-2010, 17:05
OK little help needed i wanted an orc shaman for a AH quest, what kind of stats and more importantly what spells?

No worries just found grey wolfs orc shaman:rolleyes:

Irisado
17-01-2010, 21:31
You could also convert the rules for the Orc Shaman in Wizards of Morcar to Advanced Heroquest, and then modify the spells accordingly, but if you are happy with Grey Wolf's Shaman rules, then that's fair enough.

Medic
17-01-2010, 22:16
still m ight as the spells iam not sure about;)

Medic
19-01-2010, 23:02
getting this from e-bay http://paizo.com/store/paizo/gameMastery/itemPacks/v5748btpy87do might need some help doing the attack and defend dice to make them playable:)

Irisado
20-01-2010, 21:28
They look interesting, but I'm not sure exactly how you would integrate them into the game. Are you thinking of using them for additional equipment?

Medic
20-01-2010, 23:12
They look interesting, but I'm not sure exactly how you would integrate them into the game. Are you thinking of using them for additional equipment?

yeah for normal heroquest

shin'keiro
27-02-2011, 15:52
GW's Warhammer Quest was the remake for Advanced heroquest that they also produced, basically the same game - just a re-launch - The game came with the usual room and passage way tiles, doors, skaven, barbarian, wizard, elf and dwarf etc
Images here (http://boardgamegeek.com/image/355859/warhammer-quest)

@ Irisado.. you may also wish to add to OP - the small boxed sets for Warhammer Quest such as:

Warhammer Quest High Elf Ranger
Warhammer Quest Wardancer
Warhammer Quest Warrior Priest
Warhammer Quest Chaos warrior (yes he was a hero character!)
Warhammer Quest Dwarf Trollslayer
Warhammer Quest Witch Hunter
Warhammer Quest Imperial Noble
Warhammer Quest Pit fighter

Most of these can be found on ebay!

Arnizipal
21-10-2012, 21:38
Thread moved to the (new) proper subforum.

Arnizipal,

++ The Warseer Moderation Team ++

Gunzhard
11-12-2013, 02:14
What are the odds anyone is updating the Advanced Heroquest Liber Monstrorum with the newest Dark Elves? ...hah I realize this is highly unlikely. If not I will give it a go but my only experience with Fantasy units is through AHQ/HQ.

I have a AHQ blog with lots of stuff in the DOWNLOADS page, and I'm currently working on a DE quest thus looking for the new units/etc...

http://enhancedadvancedheroquest.blogspot.com/

shelfunit.
11-12-2013, 11:25
Slight bit of threadomancy here, but for once I think fully justified - not sure about your question, but great looking blog filled with (E)AHQ goodness!

Gunzhard
11-12-2013, 17:21
Hah thanks... I've found several Bestiaries with Dark Elves: the Kabay AHQ site, Greywolf's AHQ site, Slev's AHQ mod, and the Liber Monstrorum here... though all are on the older side, which is to be expected I guess with a 20 year old game hah.

In this thread King Vyper wrote:

I have read through this thread and I noticed no one has brought this up interesting fact. When Advanced Heroquest was created GW also made it compatible with Warhammmer Fantasy Role play and Warhammer Fantasy Battle.

If you can get it find a copy of the 1st Ed Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Book.
It has rules for converting AHQ Characters and Monsters to WHFRP to WHFB and Back.

That Right Gents, WHFRP had a huge Bestiary including Fimir and Fimir Characters, Zoats, and all kinds of crazy stuff. You can even convert stuff from Slaves of Darkness.

I could not find these rules for conversion ...any help here guys?

Thanks for looking!

shelfunit.
11-12-2013, 18:45
In this thread King Vyper wrote:

I could not find these rules for conversion ...any help here guys?

Thanks for looking!

Sadly it does not, and there are no rules that I am aware of in WD either. The only "conversions" I have seen are from Advanced HQ to original HQ - from the AHQ rulebook, and from WHFRP to FB and back again.

EDIT: I don't think it was even possible for them to have had "conversions" in the books as both WHFRP and WF 3rd ed came out a fair while before AHQ was released.

Gunzhard
11-12-2013, 23:39
Hmm yeah I think you are right haha; oh well. Slev's Bestiary has a WHFB to AHQ conversion but unfortunately his AHQ monsters are all on a slightly different scale.

I noticed also that people were looking for an Alternative to Spell-Components, which were tedious ...we've found a great way around that and have been using this method quite successfully : http://enhancedadvancedheroquest.blogspot.com/2013/11/magic.html