PDA

View Full Version : best warhammer themes

rapscallion
21-04-2005, 00:03
hey what are the best army themes that you have seen?

adreal
21-04-2005, 02:20
should this be here? maybe a mod should move it

as to the question....i dunno, there was a lizardmen army with skinks in water that looked cool, plus mutaions on everything else

Dargon
21-04-2005, 02:30
I never saw it, but I've heard about players who have created a themed army of Undead Wood Elves using the Tomb Kings rules (with Usabidi/Bone Giants as undead Treemen, and Carrion as Warhawks).

I would love to actually see such an impressive sounding army. I imagine it will become a very popular theme when the new Wood Elf range hits.

Just a thought...

taer
21-04-2005, 02:36
I have a friend making a Roman army, and I am toying with doing a Nippon army.

Stouty
21-04-2005, 19:18
I want piccies damn it!!!

Artemis_Quinn
21-04-2005, 20:09
Someone I know was making a skaven based Strogio vampire counts army once. All kinds of zombie skaven as the bulk of the army and I believe he said it would be a completely remodeled grey seer for the Vampire lord. But I never go to see it. :(

StugMeister
21-04-2005, 22:27
My mate is building a 'dark' Bret army. I think he's basing it on Mousillon?

Check out his minis at this site (http://www.miniatureworld.dk/Data/Forum/index.php?topic=657.0). He's also made his other 'maiden' from a Mordheim Witch.

The Judge
23-04-2005, 20:24
Love the Sigmarite Hammer on the Damsel...

I think the all-Gnoblar OK's army was a cool idea - each Ogre was instead a monster base full of Gnoblars, or propped up dead Ogres and Ogre-shaped creatures made from scraps and debris. The Tyrant made from a "fur coat" Trapper on a living sea of Gnoblars is a favourite of mine, with a massive top hat and purple crushed velvet coat.

Blackrabbit33
02-08-2005, 19:19
My mate is building a 'dark' Bret army. I think he's basing it on Mousillon?

Check out his minis at this site (http://www.miniatureworld.dk/Data/Forum/index.php?topic=657.0). He's also made his other 'maiden' from a Mordheim Witch.

Yes your right m8 it is based around mousillon although i've put it on the back burner for abit as i don't feel its their time yet so here come the empire

Cenyu
02-08-2005, 19:35
Love the Sigmarite Hammer on the Damsel...

I think the all-Gnoblar OK's army was a cool idea - each Ogre was instead a monster base full of Gnoblars, or propped up dead Ogres and Ogre-shaped creatures made from scraps and debris. The Tyrant made from a "fur coat" Trapper on a living sea of Gnoblars is a favourite of mine, with a massive top hat and purple crushed velvet coat.

This sounds really, really cool. Are there pics available?

Grand Warlord
02-08-2005, 21:04
I am about to complete my Inquisition Themed Empire Army, just need to do some final detailing and scrollwork on the shields, and banners.

Plus all my changes from the Chicago GT. :mad:

Pics soon.

Master Fulgrim
02-08-2005, 21:12
An Inquisitionthemed Empire-army?

Well, as an Empire-gamer Iīm interested in it too. I hope that it isnt just a bad rip-off of the 40k-Ordos...

Fulgrim

Gotreksbrother
02-08-2005, 21:24
Check out Jesper Hansenīs Undead High Elf force: http://uk.games-workshop.com/vampirecounts/malakhians%2Dwarhost/

thats one of the best Iīve seen...

Another is the Lustrian Cannibals: http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/lizardmen/gaming/vamp_bowman/default.htm

and then I saw an Empire army converted into Conquistadores...really sweet stuff...

and next is gonna be my own Imperial Dwarf alliance with Norse, Eastern and many other different Dwarf clans as well as Kislev and Norse human allies...
cheers, Paddy

Grand Warlord
02-08-2005, 23:12
Well not Inquisition so much as Templars/Witch Hunters

Master Fulgrim
03-08-2005, 00:00
Aha. With "Knights of the fiery Heart", Sigmarpriest, Flagellants and a lot of militia, i suppose. Or? Thats at least the way i would done it. ;)

Fulgrim

Warlord Gnashgrod
03-08-2005, 01:36
I'm currently working on two movie-series themed armies at the moment. I would love to mention what they are, but I don't want anyone else to steal my idea before I get it done.

Both ideas work just so well, I don't want anyone else to steal it before I get the chance to field it.

Ask me again in a month or two, and I'll be willing to tell you then. I should have at least one of them done by that time.

I will tell you this, though: For 40K, I built a Tau army based on the Decepticons from the original 1980's Transformer Cartoon. I even wrote 'fluff' for them that explains it, and makes them as evil as the Decepticons are/were.

Pics available at personall request. I cannot post them here, as the files are too big. But I can attatch them to emails. :D

gortexgunnerson
03-08-2005, 09:24
The best army I ever saw is a roman style dwarf army. He had all these blocks of warriors with interlinking shields that formed tortoises. It was on the table next to me at a tournment and was fantastic. Play dwarfs myself :) unfourtunately he got very massacred in the game.

An idea I want to do is a Troy based army using the warriors of Ministh Tirif (apolgises for spelling) as those guys look so like the guys from the film. I was thinking of doing it around infantry hugh elves as can have lots of spears and archers and characters with magic bows to give you Paris etc

Cpt. Drill
03-08-2005, 13:48
some of the best armys i have seen... There is an awsome slayer army at our local GW with themed units such as a pirate unitcomplete with pirate slayer ger also there is a really nicely done unit of slayer chaves... complete with burberry hats and some with hoodies....(not really a theme but awsome anyway)

I have a theme planned which would be a lyberinth themed ogre army... now you have to of seen the film to understand this but there would be lots of units of gnoblars.. the leadbelchers would be made up of some bizar conversion which looks a bit like a walking tank (featured in the film when sarah makes her way to the goblin city and there is the walking tanks) then there would be big mechanical robots and there would be a david bowie-esk leader who would be the warhammer quest wardncer as he looks quite a bit like jarreth in the film!

it is silly but will be awsome!

ludo would be a maneater!

Yanos
03-08-2005, 14:35
I'd feel bad for my models if I didn't mention my Drow-themed Dark Elf army. Dead easy when you get right down to it, but highly satisfying and unique. Just needed a photo-negative colour scheme and a healthy amount of spiders adding.

Hence the majesty of the Spider/Hydra, or Spydra (TM), and the many-tiered glory of a Cauldron of Blood which doen't suffer from that dopey-looking Khaine statue. Instead it's topped with a big stone spider! Bless!

Future projects include Driders with Ogre stats (not unreasonable really), and more spiders! I'd post pics if I had the camera and the savvy, but sadly I have neither! :D

plasticfrog
03-08-2005, 15:06
I remember seeing a very cool 'War of Independence' Empire Army- with all the troops wearing red coats and those funny black triangular hats. The Union Jacks were a nice touch. It looks fantastic- but I don't know if it was all that viable on the table top.

5c
pf

The Pale Lady
03-08-2005, 15:41
I hav an amphibious vampire army, based loosely on the legacy of kain vamps. U can check out there fluff in the background forum if you like. I tried to take pics but failed :(

Phyros
03-08-2005, 16:45
I have seen a Chaos Horde built around a werewolf theme. Lots of converted Minotaurs with wolf heads, converted Maruaders with beastmen bits to make them look animalistic and primal. He also did a two-wolf headed giant. The guy also spent a ton of time on a Doombull conversion for the Alpha male leader but someone stole it.

TeddyC
03-08-2005, 16:47
My freind has done a really cool TK army themed to romans. Hes done helmets, sheilds chariots.... the works!

His skeles also are in 'turtle' formation.

mirakel_jocke
05-08-2005, 15:01
My freind has done a really cool TK army themed to romans. Hes done helmets, sheilds chariots.... the works!

His skeles also are in 'turtle' formation.

I would love to see that army!

/Mirakel_Jocke

Anvilbrow
05-08-2005, 23:24
and then I saw an Empire army converted into Conquistadores...really sweet stuff... - Gotrek's Brother.

If you are referring to the Seattle GT, that was my army. It took me over a year to collect, convert and paint the army and it continues to grow even now. I can field about 3000 points, and it now includes over 80 amazons used as archers, huntsmen and free companies, all of the Empire troops have head swaps with Lost Legion (and/or they are 4th ed. swordsmen and handgunners)and I am nearing completion on my "Stegatank" essentially a fighting platform mounted on a captive stegadon. I hope to include pix soon on my own website...

I had never made a themed army before despite painting about a dozen, it was a great experience and I continue to use it regularly, although my wife wanted me to sell it when I got an offer of $1500 for it at a tournament. NO WAY!!!!

StugMeister
05-08-2005, 23:28
I'm currently working on a Nurgle-based Ogre Kingdoms force. Check them out!

http://www.miniatureworld.dk/Data/Forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=780.0;id=246;image

The Pale Lady
06-08-2005, 09:15
Nice work, they look decent, well done

StugMeister
06-08-2005, 10:00
Nice work, they look decent, well done

Cheers! They're my first unit, I've still got a lot more to do! :eek: :)

Oh, check out my Tyrant WIP too!;

LINK! (http://www.miniatureworld.dk/Data/Forum/index.php?topic=780.new#new)

StugMeister
08-08-2005, 10:45
For those who havn't seen them, there is the Lustrian-themed armies in the latest WD.

Amazonians, Jungle Goblins, and Conquistidors(sp!?)