PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Fantasy Painters. Month Ten. (Month Eleven W.I.P.)

Harry
03-05-2008, 07:19
THE TALE OF FANTASY PAINTERS : MONTH TEN.

Hello again.

Double figures. :D Congratulations to all of you who have stuck with this Project.

Welcome to month ten (monthly update) of 'The Tale Of Fantasy Painters'

We are now nearing the end this project. With only two months to go. Those of you who are participating, this is the official thread in which you should post the work you have done in month ten. (April).
You should post up to three photographs of your months work and a photo of the army so far. (The last ten months work).
If you have not used a joker you should now have a 2000 point army.
Depending on how many jokers you have used you should now have between 1,600 points and 2,000 points (Approx).

I hope you have all had a great months painting.
I can’t wait to enjoy the results.

All the best
Harry

WHAT IS IT AS ALL ABOUT?

The aim of The Tale of Painters (TOP) is to help motivate those involved to start and complete a 2000 point army in the next twelve months.

The painters involved have made a commitment to paint and post, by the last day of each month, approx 200 points of their chosen army. They do this each month for the next 12 months. Starting with the last day of July 2007.

However, because people have real lives with exams, holidays, honeymoons, new babies etc, etc. They get two 'Jokers'. For two months within the year you can ‘play a joker’ and rather than post an update they can post saying "sorry guys couldn't get it done this month. Real life got in the way." But the other 10 Months they have to come up with (approx) 200 points of painted and based figures. 200 points for 10 out of the next 12 months.

In twelve months time we will all end up with a finished 2000 point army.

A new thread will be opened on the last day of each month for each painter to post the next 200 point ‘update’ for the army they are painting and a picture of the army to date.

I will just take this opportunity to thank all the painters who have signed up for their interest and enthusiasm and for their ideas that have helped shape this project. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope this project is a big success for everyone involved. I also hope 'the viewers at home' enjoy the results of all the work of the painters involved.

THE PAINTERS (OF FANTASY ARMIES)

AdHoC : Orcs and Goblins : 7 Months painting : 2 joker
Arhalien : Woodies : 10 Months painting : No jokers
Catferret : Ogres 9 Months painting : 1 joker
Deadorc : Lizardmen : 8 Months painting : 2 Joker
Dino : Empire : 9 Months painting : 1 joker
Doi : Dark Elves : 10 Months painting : No jokers
Harry : Dark Elves : 7 Months painting : 2 joker
Harry : Dwarves : 7 Months painting : 2 jokers
Harry Daemonic Legion : 10 Months painting : No jokers
Harry Vampire Counts : 8 Months painting : 1 Jokers
Hespithe : Khornate Doombull ogres : 8 Months painting : No jokers (Already Finished 2000 points)
Huw Dawson : Dwarves : 10 Months painting : No jokers
jme : Dark Elves :9 Months painting : 1 joker
Jonahmaul : Goblins : 7 Months painting : 2 jokers
Knighta : Skaven : 10 Months painting : No jokers.
Kraxnar : High Elves: 7 months painting : 2 jokers
Sigur : Dark Elves : 6 months painting : No jokers (Alreday finished 2000 points)
Silverstu : Dwarfs : 8 Months painting : 2 jokers
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull : Night Goblins :7 months painting : 2 joker.
Zark the Dammed : Ogres :8 Months painting : 1 Jokers.

Green=Still in and posted this month
Orange=Still in but not posted yet this month.

If this is wrong ... let me know.

Harry
03-05-2008, 07:22
First up .... a couple of apologies.

Sorry this thread is a couple of days late.

Sorry but I am unable to post my pics at the moment.

Anyone who has checked my PLOG recently will know I am having a nightmare with photobucket. I just can't make it work for me no matter what I try and can not work out how to contact them for technical support. I have tried lots of things. I have even set up a new account and can't make that work either. As a result I don't know when I will be able to update either this thread or my own PLOG.

Jonahmaul
03-05-2008, 10:31
That list of people really is getting small!! I've got 27 of my 32 models completed finished & the last 5 on the way so I should be posting pictures tomorrow or monday (i'm working all weekend so depends on when i can grab a few minutes to finish the models & take pictures). Why am I orange Harry, I double posted last month & have posted 7 months worth of stuff with two jokers so far!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's stuff. Also been thinking we should do some sort off 'awards' thing at the end. We could have different categories such as best army, most improved, most dedicated etc. Let me know what you guys think & any catergories we could have.

Kraxnar
03-05-2008, 11:09
Ahh good stuff, I was beginning to think that something horrible had happened to you Harry :(

Good to see that it is limited to just photobucket issues.

If you want to get some pics up I have heaps of personal webspace and could host 'em for you no problems. Let me know if you want to chuck them up and I'll give you my email address.

As for my painting... hahahaha I haven't gone too well. A job application + the new IPL cricket + Rock Band have prevented me from wanting to do too much.
I've got a bit of painted on the horses for the Dragon Princes but that has been it. I have to get 'em done for a tourney later this month, so see how I go.

I may not be posting an update this month, but hopefully I can catch up before the end of the Tale.

Cheers guys.

Harry
03-05-2008, 11:26
@Jonahmaul.
Apologies. Small oversight. :D You are green now.

@Kraxnar
Thanks for the kind offer. Arhalien has already suggested the same solution and it may come to that just to get something up on here but I really need to find a long term solution to my problems.

Arhalien
03-05-2008, 12:26
@Harry; You could try uploading the pictures to Warseer as a post attachment

And I think I may be the first to post pictures! :O

Painter Name: Arhalien
Army: Twilight Host Wood Elves

Painted this month:
5 Glade riders, musician=129
2 wardancers=36
wardancer noble, blades of loec=145

Total=310

Pictures:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/Wardancernoblefront.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/GladeRiderunit2.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wardancers14-15front.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/ToPmonth10finished.jpg

Total painted: 2008!

More pictures in my log (or they will be later today if they aren;t in a few minutes)

Looking forward to everyone else's stuff

Dino
03-05-2008, 12:45
Middenland and Middenheim 8th

Units:5 swordsmen, 5 spearmen, 8 halbediers, and 10 huntsmen with marksman.

Backround/Theme: Warriors from both Middenland and Middenheim baning together to fight those who are stupid enough to invade their lands.

Build/Conversions: Most of these guys where stait from the box builds. But for some I just took Empire parts that I had lying around and gave them the proper arms and heads to make them what they are. The huntsmen are fairly strait from the box as well. The back packs are made from random Empire, Dwarf, Ogre, and Mordheim stuff I had lying around.

Painting:Just like the rest of the army, except the fact I used more metal paints on them then I normally do.

Basing: Same as the rest of of the army.

Ups: Adding more to my units to make them an even better fighting umit.
Downs: Might not be able to do any thing next month for lack of stuff to paint.

5 swordsmen pts.30
5 spearmen pts.25
8 halbediers pts.40
Total from last month 1600
All around total 1800
Huntsmen
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture504.jpg
Spearmen and swordsmen additions
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture508.jpg
Halbedier detachments additions
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture507.jpg
Army shot
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture503.jpg
@ Arhalien: Very sweet army man. The whole thing looks great. Are you planning on adding to it in the future?

@Harry: Sad to hear about your problem with photobucket. Hope your able to post pics soon.

Anyway I have an anouncment to make. I have one more army I plan to do so i'll be doing three armies for the next TOFP. I'll tell you all what they are when I do my last entry for this one.

sigur
03-05-2008, 13:19
Wow, Dino, Arhalien....your armies look phantastic.

Dino, how did your army grow that much all of a sudden? Nothing beats the looks of colourful blocks of ranked-up infantry.:cool:

@Arhalien: That Wardancer Noble is looking pretty cool. I'd suggest adding some red or yellow to your army but I already know that you're not interested so I'll just say that your army looks good and that I still am a big fan of your army's theme of being an actual elves army rather than an army of trees with some alibi-elves. :)

Arhalien
03-05-2008, 16:08
@Dino: Do you know it's taken me this long to realise that your army is from two different provinces, despite me noticing the two different uniforms very frequently... :rolleyes:
As I've said on the Bunker; great looking army :)
Oh, and I will look into shipping to the USA at some point... hopefully

I'll probably be replacing my highborn with the great weapon wielding model at some point, and I MAY get a unit of Wild Riders with a noble in the summer (it's one of my possible projects)

@Sigur: Why do I get the feeling you've been around in this hobby since the infamous 'red period'? :p

And I've just realised that my wardancer noble has no tattoos. I'll correct that and edit in new pics later, when I can be bothered.

Dead orc
03-05-2008, 17:02
I've finished quite a lot of stuff.... but my girlfriend has my camera. I'll get it back soon and get photo's for last month and this month.

Knighta
03-05-2008, 22:37
Shizknits Horde

Units: 4 Rat Orges

Backround/Theme: Stolen from clan moulder, these guys have been forced to kill stuff for thier new master, Shizknit.
Since serving thier new master, they've been a great asset to the army, ripping apart swordsmen, halberdiers, and killing a giant. (Along with heaps of orcs and dark elves. Dois, dark elves :P)

Build/Conversions: Lots of Fun.
Random Parts used include giant bits, orc weapons, green stuff, old empire models and a knife, Along with some old metal model boneripper and verminlords.

Paintin: Was stuggling getting the right colour, unitl i was flicking through an old white dwarf, and came across this guide. Turned out pretty well i reckon

Highs: Lots of fun to make, and paint. 2000 points is finished now
Lows: None

Total Army: 2002 points

Left to right: "Giant Killer", who has to now be chained up, and then relased when enemies get too close, after he killed a giant. "Vermin Lord"
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/Knighta22/Picture002.jpg

"Boneripper". "Man Killer"
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/Knighta22/Picture003-1.jpg

MK, BR, VL, GK
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/Knighta22/Picture004-1.jpg

2000 point shot
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/Knighta22/Picture001-1.jpg

@Harry: Good to see that nothing happened to you, and that your OK mate

@Arhalien: The Wardancer nobel loooks quite impressive, as do the glad riders. Well done on reaching 2000 points, your models are all quite fantastic.

@Dino: Second to post this month? Whats going on buddy :D
Love the look of your huntsmen. Your amry is looking quite fantasic.

Next Month: Screaming bell

silverstu
03-05-2008, 23:23
Hi guys- I'll post twice this month as I am way behind. Plus I can't seem to get into photobucket either..

Army- Silverstu's Dwarfs

Unit- krokkett's clan-20 thunderers

Background- these guys are a bit of a wild bunch- hang about above ground shooting goblins and the like and wearing furs made from the hides of questionable creatures.. all under the command of Dav E Krokkett, a strange figure with a short blond beard- the rest of it blown off by an unfortunate incident with some stray powder...

Points- 20 thunders plus vet and standard- 300pts

Painting- bashed these out fairly quickly, sticking to a restricted pallete

Conversions- just the one, done a while ago- Dav E was an old marauder cannon crew- replace the taper hand with a pistol one from the old plastic set, greenstuffed a pair of boots and a fur hat to replace his frilly garb.

Highs - getting them all into some sort of shape
Lows- intilly thinking I'd never get them done
Still to do- loads- mostly highlights and washes but they will do for now.
Sorry no army pic will post that with the second lot.
Still in it!![just have to do 300 points in these last two months!

Arhalien
04-05-2008, 09:36
@Knighta: Thanks.
Congratulations to you too for getting to the 2k points mark; you picked a much tougher job for yourself than me, and you're still going :eek:. Good looking rat ogres (Painting wise you dirty people :eyebrows:)

@Stu: given that they aren;'t done yet they look very nice :)
And 300pts in two months cant be that hard; just keep telling yourself you're nearly at the finish! :D

silverstu
04-05-2008, 10:27
@Arhalien- cheers mate- I'm quite pleased with the little fellas but I'd like to do a lot more to be totally satisfied as they are great models. Should be ok doing 300 points i think- I'm just going to try and paint more regularly.
your stuff looks great as usual- well done on getting the whole army finished- quite a sight I'll be looking forward to seeing what your future projects will hold.[not doing the next TOP?]
@Knighta- very cool rat ogres- really like the variety you've got accross the unit and nice to see the vermin lord model reappear- it's a brilliant mini. The horde is looking fantastic mate- well done for sticking at it and keeping a great standard.
@Dino- excellent as usual and really turning into a sizeable force. That will look splendid on the tabletop.
@Harry-hope you get the photobucket problem sorted- my password refused to work but i was able to sign up for a new account[using a different email]. oh and on the list I have used both my jokers and maybe counts as 7 months painting- basically the army is around 1400 points[maybe a little under].

Catferret
04-05-2008, 11:14
I have been so busy I haven't even been to my Photobucket in ages. Seems a little confusing until I clicked on "Old Uploader" and it went back to something I could understand. It also had a dowload option for Flash so I went ahead and did it and I dunno if it made a difference...

Anyway, I shall get some pics up today while I actually have time away from work.

Harry: Damn technology! Hope you can fix it. p.s. Will post your stuff on Tuesday (next day off).
Arhalien: Still posting great stuff on time. You have no more excuses now! :p
Dino: That is a great looking army. Very unified across the massed ranks in those pics.
Knighta: The collar on Giant Killer is a great touch. I still love that Vermin Lord model. Great paint job on him.
Silverstu: Yay! Classic Thunderers! Excellent stuff there Stu.

Arhalien
04-05-2008, 11:39
@Stu: 'fraid not :( I've got a High Elf repainting project on the go at the moment for the Ammobunker Tale of Painters, but I have exams coming up so things have to slow down painting wise. Should get something started over the summer, although it will only be minor

@Catferret: WRONG! I have a perfect excuse for not posting stuff! I've finished! :D :p ;)

Catferret
04-05-2008, 12:24
@Catferret: WRONG! I have a perfect excuse for not posting stuff! I've finished! :D :p ;)

I think you'll find that next year's ToFP isn't very far away. ;)

Arhalien
04-05-2008, 13:57
I've said it before and I'll say it again; I CAN'T take part next year! :cries: I'm just going to be too busy with schoolwork so I'll probably just give up the hobby temporarily during that year :(

Jonahmaul
04-05-2008, 19:09
@ Arhalien - awesome looking work again though you definately need to sort out that tattoos on that noble!

@ Dino - like Arhalien I didn't even realise your army consisted of two provinces until you've just mentioned it - doh!! Excellent work again though & the army is looking very imposing now. Three armies for TOFP - we'll be calling you Harry in no time! That's so dedication & I'm looking forward to finding out your choices, bet you still manage to post first every month!

@ Knighta - excellt rat ogre's, I particularly like giant killer - an excellent touch.

@ silverstu - very nice looking Dwarfs, looking forward to thearmy shot.

@ Catferret - looking forward to seeing your stuff.

@ Arhalien - you know you're going to be back next year, you won't be able to resist as we're all announcing our armies for next year in month 12! It's like heroin, once it's got you you're hooked!

My stuff should be posted Monday evening or Tuesday morning.

Catferret
04-05-2008, 19:48
The Army of Varga Daemonslayer

Unit: Butcher with Bangstick and Dispel scroll

Build/Conversion: Plastic Bull with GS apron and belly. Bangstick comes from the Mordheim amazon weapons. Metal Tooth Gnoblar comes from one of the metal Butchers.

Painting: Rushed!

Basing: The usual.

Still to do: Minor details, tattoos, blood dripping on the Gnoblar's head, static grass.

Highs/lows: Nothing really.

Points for model: 180

Points for Army: 1813 with one Joker played.

Pics:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/catferret/Gnoblog/ButcherAprilMay1.jpghttp://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/catferret/Gnoblog/ButcherAprilMay2.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/catferret/Gnoblog/ButcherAprilMay3.jpghttp://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/catferret/Gnoblog/ButcherAprilMay4.jpg

The army shot is the same as last month, only this guy has had a little more paint done.

That leaves me with one Joker and 180 points worth of Maneaters to convert and paint. Trying to find time and motivation is going to be a challenge over the next couple of months...

Harry
04-05-2008, 20:22
You guys. :D Thanks everyone.

@Arhalien
First to post. :eek: 2000 Points completed. Well done for sticking with it. Well done for 10 months and no jokers. Well done for a great looking army.
I thought we had badgered you into the next TOP on the last thread?

@Dino
Where did that lot come from. What a mob!
Three armies for next years TOP !!! Are you sure. Four proved tough some months.
I am thinking of sticking to two max next year.

@Knigha
What can I say. You took on the horde and you won. 10 months, 2000 points, one huge army. Very well done sir. What you going to do with the last couple of months?

@Stu
Great unit. Some of those old Marauder minis are great. I like Krokkett.

@Catferret
Another great paint job. Love the blood stained knife and the blood splatter. Nicely done.
Stick with it mate. You have come so far. Plough on and get that last unit done.

Knighta
04-05-2008, 21:32
@Silverstu: Good looking models, considering you said they arn't entirly finished yet. Love the beards.

@Catferret: Thanks man, i love them too.
Your butcher looks fantastic. Love all the equipment you've given him on his back. Paintjog looks great

@Harry: Thanks mate. For the last too months, im going to be making a screaming bell. I got one for my birthday, and then my brother bought one off ebay for $20AU or something, so im putting them both together to make a big bell.

Arhalien
04-05-2008, 21:39
@Catferret: nice looking butcher considering you say it's rushed; some of the skin could be blended a bit more smoothly, but it's a nice, characterful piece :)

@Harry: Thanks :)
Well, I've managed to convince myself otherwise... if I were to try to paint huge amounts during the holidays it would sort of half defeat the purpose of the tale, and I would end up rushing an army that I would not want to rush. Maybe if you do a Tale of Mordheim warbands I could take part; 1 model a month should be do-able :p

Dino
05-05-2008, 02:28
@sigur: Amazing what an extra bunch of troops can do, is it.

@Arhalien: .....:confused:......I'm sorry i'm a little slow here. Did you just say that you just noticed?:wtf: I've stated the fact of the two different provencies more than once. Well then again they are techniqly part of the same realm but one part of the force is from the capital city.

@Knighta: Well done man. 2000 pts. of a horde army and it looks good. The rat ogres look nice. Good job man. I was a sleep when this thread was started and I was doing some work for my parents as well.

@silverstu: Nice job on the Thunderers. Can't wait to see the army shot.

@Jonahmaul: You too? Oh well. Can't wait to see your stuff.

@Catferret: Nice job. I love maneaters and can't wait to see how they turn out. Good luck.

@Harry: Well to behonest this is the plan. First to see how mich I get collected before the next TOFP starts. One of them(the other army I've decided to do) i'll use my two jokers wait for a specific thing to happen. Second is to see how much time it would take for me to paint units from the original two armies I planned to do. Both of them have very expensive units in them so it wouldn't have to paint to much of each to start with any way and the third is no different(maybe even more so than the other two). So if I find that painting up the two armies is to much i'll just stick with the two and save the third for next time with High Elves. Thats the plan anyway.

Doi
05-05-2008, 06:23
Dark Elves

Unit: Sorceress

Backround/Theme: Still nothing

Build/Conversions: Stock model

Painting: Painted the same as the rest of the army. The bone was done in layers from scorched brown all the way up to skull white

Basing: Same as the rest of of the army, snow.

High: Actually getting something done this month, completely ran out of time this month
Low: Only managing to get the one model done

Points: Lv2 Sorceress with Dispel Scroll and Darkstar Cloak - 175pts
Total: 2085pts (points for the Noble and Dark Riders halved since they are WIP)

Pics:
Sorceress:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x4/WaaaghDoi/TOFP057-1.jpg

Month 10 Army shot
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x4/WaaaghDoi/TOFP060.jpg

@ Arhalien: The Wood Elves look fantastic. I've always loved this colour scheme for them and it's even better seeing the whole army finished. Well done

@ Dino: The Empire look great, with all those ranked up units one could be mistaken for thinking the army was finished this month (even if you've only got 200pts to go)

@ Knighta: I know I probably ask you this every couple of days, but are you sick of painting rats yet? The rat ogres look ace, Giant Killer would have to be my favourite

@ silverstu: The Thunderers look cool, not bad for a rush job eh?

@ Catferret: Nice looking Butcher you've got there. Can't wait to see updated pics of the blood on the gnoblars head

Harry
05-05-2008, 06:57
@Harry: Thanks mate. For the last too months, im going to be making a screaming bell. I got one for my birthday, and then my brother bought one off ebay for $20AU or something, so im putting them both together to make a big bell.
That sounds great fun. look forward to it.

@Harry: Thanks :)
Well, I've managed to convince myself otherwise... if I were to try to paint huge amounts during the holidays it would sort of half defeat the purpose of the tale, and I would end up rushing an army that I would not want to rush. Maybe if you do a Tale of Mordheim warbands I could take part; 1 model a month should be do-able
Sounds like Pirates or Cowboys for you. :D
Tale of High seas painters or Tale of the Old west painters.
Mmmmm Tale of Mordhiem warbands? Intresting idea. MUST RESIST!!!!!

@Harry: Well to behonest this is the plan. First to see how mich I get collected before the next TOFP starts. One of them(the other army I've decided to do) i'll use my two jokers wait for a specific thing to happen. Second is to see how much time it would take for me to paint units from the original two armies I planned to do. Both of them have very expensive units in them so it wouldn't have to paint to much of each to start with any way and the third is no different(maybe even more so than the other two). So if I find that painting up the two armies is to much i'll just stick with the two and save the third for next time with High Elves. Thats the plan anyway.
Sound like a good plan ... and I think I have guessed what the first is and the specific thing that needs to happen.

Dark Elves ....Backround/Theme: Still nothing.....
Everytime I see you army shot (because of the bases) the phrase a cold day in hell springs to mind.
10 months 2000 points another great result. Congrats on a great looking army. I love the simplicity (in appearance rather than execution) of the bases. The dark of the Elves looks so striking against the snow. And I just love the depth of the snow.

What you got planned for your last couple of months? Finishing those dark riders?

Doi
05-05-2008, 07:11
That sounds great fun. look forward to it.

Sound like a good plan ... and I think I have guessed what the first is and the specific thing that needs to happen.

Everytime I see you army shot (because of the bases) the phrase a cold day in hell springs to mind.
10 months 2000 points another great result. Congrats on a great looking army. I love the simplicity (in appearance rather than execution) of the bases. The dark of the Elves looks so striking against the snow. And I just love the depth of the snow.

What you got planned for your last couple of months? Finishing those dark riders?

Thanks Harry. A cold day in hell it is! For the last couple of months I've got several things planned. First and foremost being finishing both the Dark Riders and the mounted Noble, then I want to get the shields and banner done on the warriors, then I have to base the manflayers, and then should I have time I've got two bolt throwers and some harpies that could use a lick of paint.

Then I can focus on my mounted gobbos for the next TOFP, atleast until more Dark Elves later this year...

Arhalien
05-05-2008, 09:34
@Arhalien: .....I'm sorry i'm a little slow here. Did you just say that you just noticed?: I've stated the fact of the two different provencies more than once. Well then again they are techniqly part of the same realm but one part of the force is from the capital city.

I'm afraid I am that much of an idiot.... I just somehow didn't read that it was Middenheim and Middenland or something, or just assumed that they were both the same thing...

Note to self: 'When in hole, stop digging :rolleyes:'

DO IT! :D

@Doi: impressive work: the army looks very striking, and the bases are wonderful. May I recommend texturing and painting the movement trays as well, as they detract from the look a bit.
Is that a 2000pt force mostly finished then? Or are you planning to go to 2400 after finishing the Riders?

@Everyone: Looks like we're doing a far better job collectively with those silly 40k people with the guns that go 'pew' :rolleyes:

edit: Oh, on a side note, my army may be involved in a batrep against Firestorm Falcon's High Elves later today; I'll post you a link if we do do one.

Huw_Dawson
05-05-2008, 10:46
Hey fellow painters!

Just going to pop in and let you know that my 14 Hammerers with Full Command are finished for this month, as is the army!

Despite having played 4 games with the army and losing horribly every time, I think it was worth it!

- Huw

Geratsu
05-05-2008, 11:03
Cna i ask something about this "Tale of Fantasy Painters", if i get my helf army ready in like, 3 months. Can i take new army to this Tale?

Harry
05-05-2008, 11:36
This Tale is almost over .... but a new one is soon to start.

I will PM you

bennietzel
05-05-2008, 15:26
Harry,

will there be information posted in the last TOFP thread for this cycle about joining the new one, or do we need to PM you directly if we are interested in participating?

in addition, great job again this month to all the posters. I have really, really enjoyed checking this thread each month to see your guy's progress. Its very inspiring: both to get mine done, and to give me ideas on my own army. Great job to all, and good luck as you head into the finish line!

Jonahmaul
05-05-2008, 15:57
@ Catferret - awesome looking butcher

@ Doi - sorcer is looking excellent although the army shot is a little fuzzy! I wasn't sold on the bases when I first saw them but the more of them I see & with the whole army together they actually look really good

@ Dino - yeh sorry man, I skim read most of the time so just haven't picked up on it, me bad! Will pay more attention in future. I think that your one army may be the same as i'm choosing to do. I know that you want to keep it a secret but I am planning on doing Dark Elves but am worried about them being released in time which your two jokers would explain. I'm going to be sending some PM's the way of Harry & Hastings to find out if they know what is being re-released!

@ Arhalien - you could do deamons or something, very high points cost so not too much painting. Harry & Hastings both spread out the painting of greater deamons over 3 months after all!

Big congratualations to those who have got their 2000 points painted already, look forward to seeing some more stuff from you before the end of the tale even if it's unrelated to your TOFP armies (your Screaming Bell sounds cool Knighta). I think I am going to try & go for two armies for next year's tale although one will be for Tale of 40k Painters as I want to get my Tau finished (well started too), luckily most of them are already glued together, just some cleaning up to do on some of them. This months entry to be posted tomorrow most likely now.

Arhalien
05-05-2008, 17:11
@Jonah: I'm not that keen on painting large models and daemons don't really interest me that much as an army.

@Harry: I've sent you a PM

silverstu
05-05-2008, 17:56
@Doi- nice sorceress- army is looking splendid.
@Catferret- cheers for the comment mate. as usual your ogres are looking great mate
@Knighta- thanks mate, your massive screaming bell project sounds very interesting looking forward to seeing it.
@Dino- thanks I'll try and get an army shot up soon.
@Jonahmaul- looking forward to seeing your latest additions- I'm considering darkelves as well for the next TOP- check the rumour threads they seem to have it down what is being redone and what isn't. seems to be characters, hydra, coldone knights and corsairs.
@Arhalien- sure you don't want to do a wee darkelve army? It would give you the set? And jes has apparently made the coldone knights... you know you want to...
@Huw- finished already?! looking forward to seeing your lads all together.
Am I pretty much the only one left with stuff to post for the next 2 months?
On the subject of the next TOP- i have a couple of options- brand new dark elves[brian nelson na d jes adding to an already great line makes it VERY tempting], I have VC to do but I'm not that fussed at the moment[although the new grave guard are awesome] or do yet more dwarfs...going to leave my 40k armies to my project log which hopefully I'll start soon- i like the fantasy thread vibe.
oh and Harry I'm working on a regiment of Uthers Imperial dwarfs for my next post..

Arhalien
05-05-2008, 18:06
@Stu:For the last time.... NO NO NO NO NONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!! :mad:
So there :p

(2 reasons:
1. no time :(
2. I'd rather do a fantasy army that doesn;'t have pointy ears, tempting as the Dark Elves are :p

silverstu
05-05-2008, 18:17
@Arhalien- you'll be back... you won't be able to stay away.... wait and see...;):D

Harry
05-05-2008, 19:04
Harry,

will there be information posted in the last TOFP thread for this cycle about joining the new one, or do we need to PM you directly if we are interested in participating?

No don't PM me. my in box already runneth over.

I will be starting a new thread start of next month to drum up trade (find out who is interested in participating) and discuss any changes to the format for next year.

We will be starting in July with a WIP thread for the first post on the last day of July. So all of June should be long enough to let folks know whats happening and prepare themselves.

Jonahmaul
05-05-2008, 19:12
@ Silverstu - knew they were doing Cold One's & had heard plastic Corsairs mentioned but thanks for the heads up. Hardly ever check anything on Warseer apart from TOFP. Should really sort myself out at some point! Also, I've got 2 months worth of stuff to post still as I jokered twice & think there's still a few of us left to post.

@ Arhalien - fair enough on the deamons & no pointy ears but that still leaves Bretonnians, Empire, Dwarfs, VC, TK, Ogres........

@ Harry - who was 'in charge' of Tale of 40k Painters this year & do you know if they're doing it again?

Arhalien
05-05-2008, 19:39
@Harry: did you get the PM I sent today or is the inbox full again? :p

@Jonah: It's not just the armies, it's me not having time!
I'm considering trying to do a BFG fleet if the Tale is expanded to include specialist games (I PMed Harry suggesting that), but that won;t be nearly as much work as doing a full army. The next full 40k/fantasy army I've got planned is an IG force if the greatcoat plastics are released, and that won;t be until next summer.
So for the last time, I CAN'T take part next year :(

Dino
05-05-2008, 19:44
@Doi: Nice job on the sorceress. The army is looking good so far. Hope your able to get the noble and dark riders finished.

@Harry: Or do you?:evilgrin:

@Jonahmaul: Close on the guess their but no. The only elves I plan to do are High Elves. But you were thinking evil and that half is right.

Harry
05-05-2008, 19:52
@ Harry - who was 'in charge' of Tale of 40k Painters this year & do you know if they're doing it again?
McMullet was and is and has done a bang up job. I have no idea if he is up for it again but I hope so.

@Harry: did you get the PM I sent today or is the inbox full again?
In box not full (quite) but no PM

@Harry: Or do you?:evilgrin:
Sorry...you have lost me. Do I what?

Arhalien
05-05-2008, 19:57
Wierd... I'll try sending it again

And maybe BFG isn't a great choice... I really must stop changing my mind so often :(

silverstu
05-05-2008, 20:55
. I really must stop changing my mind so often :(

wouldn't be like you...:D
What about a necromunda one? or combined necromunda/mordhiem gang type thing...I have an escher gang I'd love to finish.

Arhalien
05-05-2008, 21:06
The PM I sent Harry was suggesting a combined Tale of Specialist Painters, as a combined thread for all the specialist games as I doubt we'd have enough interest for a thread for each

silverstu
05-05-2008, 21:19
Sounds good. I also have a battlefeet gothic eldar fleet.. might be in.
Are you going to run the thread?

Arhalien
05-05-2008, 21:20
Bloody hell no! I don;t have the time; if I did I'd dedicate it to doing an army! :p I was just making a suggestion to Harry, as the ToP seems to have branched off very heavily into the Wild West and High Seas as well as fantasy and 40k

Dino
05-05-2008, 22:57
Well Harry the idea was that you said that you thought that you knew what one of the armies I was going to do for next TOFP which was the one I was going to hold of and wait for a certain something to happen first and question wether you actually knew what army that one was. Make sense now?

Harry
05-05-2008, 23:22
Yes. perfect sence. :D

@Arhalien
Got that PM now.
Not sure I have got the time either. But it is a tempter.

Harry
06-05-2008, 00:06
OK I have sorted myself out with imageshack as my photobucket problems seem to be ongoing.
But it is a bit slower so only sorted out one set of pics so far. To be going on with....

DAEMONIC LEGION (KHORNE)

UNIT: Three Bloodcrushers (OR possibly three Heralds)

BACKGROUND/THEME: Vanilla Deamonic Legion of Khorne.

BUILD/CONVERSION: These are three vintage Bloodthirsters but they sit nice on a 50mm base so I thought I might use them as a second unit of Juggers.

PAINTING: Just like everything else in this army …. they were painted blood red all over then given an ink wash (or two) with a mix of red and purple ink. Claws, horns armour and details on Juggernaughts painted black. Then several metalics used to build up ‘brass’ colour.

BASING: They are currently just sat on the bloodcrushers bases while I try and decide what they are and how to base them.

(Trying to take the themed bases even further this time. I made a set of linked bases. Ripped cork. Drybrushed greys. Lava painted by layering up all the reds and oranges to sunburst yellow).

HIGHS AND LOWS: High : Love painting up these old characterful minis. Low : Errrm none really. .

STILL TO DO: Decide what they are and make them their own bases.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/715/img3684bp1.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2915/img3686hb9.jpg

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/764/img3691jk0.jpg

silverstu
06-05-2008, 08:16
As i said in your plog- excellent work- great choice of mini's- they look very fearsome- I should have included a couple of cannons in my army- I'd hate to have to face yours! Nice work mate.

Arhalien
06-05-2008, 13:24
@Harry: Now, either you have set a new world record for painting speed, or those pics you posted in the log had been taken in the past! :eek: :p
Impressive work as ever; I really like the green blades :)

Harry
06-05-2008, 16:52
My camera has been working fine. I have been taking pics as I have gone along. I have just not been able to upload anything to update my Plog. I have a back log of a months pictures to upload.

Dead orc
06-05-2008, 18:04
Two months in one post.... here goes.

Month 9: 14 Skinks & 6 Chameleon Skinks.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5314/skinkskk5.jpg
Still need to do final layer of orange, yellow highlights & scales.
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9494/chamskinksjl3.jpg
Still need to do lots....

Month 10: 15 Saurus with full command.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8581/saurusunit2ot4.jpg
Still need to do most of the work, but they are tabletop 'legal'

Army as it stands:
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8295/almosttherejx8.jpg

PS. I've had to switch to Imageshack as my photobucket aint working either...

Huw_Dawson
06-05-2008, 18:12
Markus hiked up the hill in persuit of the Dwarf. It was hard to believe that such a short being could run for so long, but having seen the bearded one in combat, he could believe it. The Orc warband hadn't stood a chance. As they hit the crest of the hill, Markus panting heavily as the Dwarf stopped.

"My friend, if you needed an example of why us Dwarves are simply better than all of your kind, you shall look upon the halls of Karak Karaz!" Durgan laughed, the pipe jolting around in his mouth. Markus gulped air and looked up.

The scene was incredible. As he lifted his head he saw the valley before them, woods slowly giving way to sparse rock with roads criss-crossing the valley. And as he raised his head higher, he saw why. Cut in the heights of the mountain at the other end of the valley was a massive broken bridge. And at the end there was a huge, no, monstrous door. He could see the metal binding from here. The entire mountain was covered with windows, doors and towers.

"That... that is truly an incredible sight, Durgan."

"'Tis not incredible, Markus. It is merely my home."

The North Hall of Karak Karaz is home to the largest standing militia in that great city. For as long as the records go, the Durgan Clan has lead the North Hall Guards - their Lords inheriting the Watcher Armour and Axe with their inheritance of their Father's title. North Hall's great staircase leads to the Underway, and thanks to this and the corresponding Skaven and Goblin infection the militia is battle ready and well equipped to handle almost anything.

Under the present Lord - Lord Durgan IXXX - the watch have undergone a dramatic change. Using the money from the rich seams far below North Hall, the clan has bought several powerful war machines - these have been put to great use by Durgan, who is known as The Tinkerer to his troops.

Durgan was one of the first Dwarves to travel to Altdorf and Nuln following the Great War against Chaos, and upon returning to his home, he has kept close links to the dwarves he traveled with. This makes him well informed, and thanks to his natural diplomatic skills, he bears the honourary role of diplomacy between the two races.

Thanks to Durgan, the North Hall has continued to prosper, and when the clan takes to the battlefield, the very ground shakes under steel-capped shoes and cannon fire.

Huw Dawson - 2000pt Dwarven Throng.

UNIT: 14 Hammerers with Full Command

BACKGROUND/THEME: Do I have to repeat myself?

BUILD/CONVERSION: Bog Standard.

PAINTING: Began with a black undercoat, then a drybrush of Chainmail. Following that, I painted all the armour rims in Mechrite Red, and painted all the browns in various mixtures. Then the skin, and final touchups.

BASING: GW Flock

HIGHS AND LOWS: I love painting metal Dwarves. Other than the fact that they had moulded on Shield Holders!

STILL TO DO: Nothing

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Huw_Dawson/HammerersOne.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Huw_Dawson/HammerersThree.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Huw_Dawson/HammerersTwo.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Huw_Dawson/Hammerers4.jpg

Yes, that is a gyrocopter. Just imagine that my Knights suddenly changed into it when I managed to fix the darn thing!

So, what is next for me? Well, I'm going to save up for a while and splurge out on a Warhammer 40k army, most likely Orks! Or maybe I'll follow in the path of Harry and Sigur and make a Dark Elf army. In the end, all this painting will come in handy!

Thanks!

- Huw

jme
06-05-2008, 18:41
Great work everyone, will leave comments for each person a little later when I have more time.
Heres is my Highborn who leads my army
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x203/ogregut/bankholiday043.jpg
And the army
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x203/ogregut/bankholiday042.jpg
Next Month the Highborns Dragon!

Harry
06-05-2008, 19:30
@Deadorc
Well its not exactly three colours and based ... but you are still with us and thats what matters. You need to have a pianting frenzy one weekeend to get some of this stuff finished.

@Huw.
Nice little throng you have got going on there. Have you been painting extras? I don't remember all that in previous posts. And is that a little Dwarf staue. I would like to see a closer look of that. i love that sort of thing.

@jme
You have remained true to your tight scheme throughout. Whilst the painting of each individual model is a relatively simple paint job the army as a whole is very striking and makes a wonderfully coherant whole.

What do you ahve planned for the last month? Have you run out of heads yet?.

silverstu
06-05-2008, 20:07
@deadorc- good going mate- glad you are still with us- onwards to the end!!
@Huw- congrats on getting the whole 2000 points done- they look great and I agree painting metal dwarfs is ace. Love the narrative too- glad the gyro replaced the knights- much more in keeping with the army. Wouldn't mind seeing some close ups of the characters and the statue.
@Jme- very cool looking highborn - is the dragon going to be pink? The army looks excellent your consistency has really paid off, looking forward to the dragon.

Jonahmaul
06-05-2008, 20:17
@ Harry - nice looking Bloodthirsters/Bloodcrushers/Heralds (whatever they are destined to be!). Excellent work again the blades are really nice & the awesome bases really pull the army together well.

@ Dead Orc - good to have you back & another good entry even if those chameleon skinks are a little short of 3 colours & based! (though I can hardly talk considering I am always late posting!)

@ Huw_Dawson - nice looking Dwarfs again from you. May I suggest painting/texturing the movement trays though to pull the army together?

@ jme - very nice lord, good colour scheme & neatly done. the army os looking very good.

Jonahmaul
06-05-2008, 20:21
NIGHT GOBLINS

UNIT: 30 Night Goblins with full command, nets & 2 fanatics

BACKGROUND/THEME: Standard NG army led by Skarsnik.

BUILD/CONVERSION: Straight from the box

PAINTING: Just like everything else

BASING: Same!

HIGHS AND LOWS: Highs - getting my motivation back after it dipping for a couple of months & posting fairly close to deadline! Lows - not quite on deadline!

STILL TO DO: Just the bases on 10 NG & the fanatics.

Also, the final picture is a sneak preview of my entry for this month. Painting not likely to start until next week though as I'm going away for a few days on Thursday.

jme
06-05-2008, 22:35
Ok comments;
@Arhalien, the Wardancer noble is one of my fav models and you have done a great job, the grey and green work very well. The riders look very dark and mencing, just as I picture them being.

@Dino, sweet, sweet army! Really think you need some movement trays tho!

@Knighta, love how you have done the rat ogres, great use of the vermin lord. Looking forward to seeing the uber bell!

@Sliverstu, blonde dwarves! Love it!

@Catferret, looks much better than the one GW sells, the gnoblar is in a great pose!

@Doi, such a cool looking army, very yin-yang with the dark colours and bright base

@Dead Orc, one of the best orange armies ive seen. Do you plan to add a Slann?

@Huw-Dawson, one scary looking army with so many war machines! Very good looking force, are you going to texture your movement trays?

@Jonahmaul, yay gobbos! look very cool. Looking forward to seeing the giant. Any chance of an army shot?

@Harry, red era Khorne! So cool! What do you plan on using the spawn as? Thanks for the kind words, I am first and foremost a gamer, but like to have nice armies to play with! I have 10 heads left, so Im going to save those to make cold one knights when the new cold ones come out. Not sure what Im going to do next, maybe a Alter of Slannesh (using COB rules) or maybe a hydra.

Dead orc
06-05-2008, 22:37
My chameleon skinks are futher ahead than they look. The picture is very dark, their skin has been basecoated, inked and re-layered and their metalics have been started (i'm waiting to see weather silver or gold will look best when their skin is done)

And I'm basing the saurus tommorrow*. Everyting will be finished before the 12 months are over

*Sorry i haven't replied to anyone's armies but i've got a chest infection and need to rest.

Catferret
07-05-2008, 01:28
Get well soon Dead orc! I can't see the pics in your post sadly. I'm sure they look great having seen the rest of your stuff though. :)

Great elves jme. Nice departure from the usual styles there. Cunning use of bits!

I'm very impressed by the consistent quality of those goblins Jonah. Great work all the way through this tale.

Congrats on finishing Huw. Must be great knowing you can relax a bit now. Gives you plenty time to plan the army for the next Tale!

Harry, I used to have one of those old Bloodthirsters in my 2nd ed 40k Chaos army and they were old models back then! Great to see more classic models being revisited.

silverstu
07-05-2008, 07:55
@Jonah- more fantastic gobbo's! Splendid stuff- that's real persistence to get through all those little fellas- looking forward to seeing you do your Giant.
@Dead orc- rest up buddy- we aren't going anywhere..

StormCrow
07-05-2008, 08:13
wow, congrats to everyone here, your armies are looking great...kind of tempting to join in for the next year of fantasy painters...i do have around 3000 points of unpainted tomb kings AND orcs. maybe I'm getting in over my head here?

Anyways, fantastic painting all round, and amazing to see so many stuck to their guns and have got their 2000 point armies

Jonahmaul
07-05-2008, 17:39
Thanks for the comments guys. There may be an army shot at some point but don't hold your breath this month, too much of a pain in the backside to get them all out of the case & set them up! I'm hoping to get some movement trays done for the army this month though so hopefully full army shot with this months post.

Zark the Damned
07-05-2008, 20:03
Excellent work everyone. Keep it up, not long to go now!

As for my work:
http://s3assets.nextnewnetworks.com/2325.jpg
Afraid for this month I must play my second Joker. Been too busy on other projects to work on the Ogres this month. However, for the last two months I will be working on my Rhinox Riders (3 Bull Rhinoxen with extra bitz weigh in over 400pts)

Hopefully I'll have a decent camera of my own by then, am looking into getting one. Any recommendations for someone on a budget? Just need a digi cam with reasonable storage, usb connector, macro and autofocus...

Fredmans
07-05-2008, 20:05
I have followed this tale from the very start, and a fine tale it has been. I would take the opportunity to step out of the shadow and salute the painters who have finished their armies. Great painting all around, lovely miniatures and characterful armies. If there is a sequel, I am very tempted to start up a Chaos Horde and follow your trail.

/Fredmans

Huw_Dawson
07-05-2008, 20:22
I probably will texure the bases, although I don't know how...

Any suggestions? :p

- Huw

Ad-Hoc
07-05-2008, 21:00
Gah! another Month i can't get a picture sorted out. Especially frustrating when everyone else has done so well. I'm out of Jokers so unless something great happens well. I'm out :(

Sorry guys i'll try to get something up soon.

Arhalien
07-05-2008, 21:03
I don't think anyone will have a problem with you posting late because of picture problems Ad-Hoc: we're so close to the finish now that to drop out would be ridiculous, especially over something as silly as being unable to take a picture.
We're a trusting bunch, we'll take your word that you've painted stuff, so pull yourself together and stop worrying! :p

Harry
07-05-2008, 21:10
What he said.

Arhalien
07-05-2008, 21:23
Eloquent as ever Harry :p

silverstu
08-05-2008, 08:47
well here is a bad army shot- sorry it's a bit blurry and dark- will do better.;)
[URL="http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk280/silverstustuff/mayarmy.jpg"]
and here is what I am working on at the moment- mostly Prince Uther's imperial dwarfs with a few marauder ones and a very old gimli model too. These will be the beardlings - young dwarfs as they all have short beards and pistols[which they think makes them look cool]
[URL="http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk280/silverstustuff/maywip.jpg"]

Nitz
08-05-2008, 15:43
great job by all the posters this month. Your dilligence is very inspiring!

Knighta
10-05-2008, 00:58
@Doi: Well done on the sorcerer. The skin looks great, considering you hate painting it. You've got to base those manflayers!

@Harry Deamons: Love those guys. Great paint job, well done. Decided what they are yet?

@Dead Orc: Is that guy in the middle of your 14 sinks how they are going to turn out? Cause they'll look bloody sweet.

@Huw: Love the background story mate. Your dwarfs look pretty cool. Keep up the good work.

@Jme: Love the highborn. The simplicity of your scheme makes for a striking overall effect.

@Johahmaul: Night gobbos look cool. Looking forward to seeing what you do with that giant!

Arhalien
12-05-2008, 18:48
Page 2, shame :(

Non-painting update, but me and Firestorm Falcon have done a batrep involving my Woodies, and I thought you may be interested :)
http://z3.invisionfree.com/The_Ammobunker/index.php?showtopic=2382
Enjoy

silverstu
12-05-2008, 22:08
@Arhalien- loved the battle report- very entertaining to read- I especially like how you referred to his eagles as "pigeons"- rats with wings. Shame you didn't win- thought you had your moments- let me know if you guys do another report- great read and glad your hippies are seeing some action.
Stu

Arhalien
12-05-2008, 22:11
Thanks Stu :)

The pidgeon is actually Firestorm Falcon;'s term for them, although I think it fits quite nicely ;)

And the next report may turn up sooner than you think; plans for a rematch on saturday are floating around at the moment :) I'll be sure to let you know when we get the thing written up.

silverstu
12-05-2008, 22:21
Look forward to it mate.

Arhalien
12-05-2008, 22:25
As am I ;)

Oh, I;ve got the end of turn 4 picture working at last; it wasnt showing up for me and I think the link had gone wrong somewhere.

edit: we did a 1000pt game as well; slightly more one sided though: http://z3.invisionfree.com/The_Ammobunker/index.php?showtopic=1474 Firestorm Falcon was doing the report so it's a bit of a mess :p

Kraxnar
13-05-2008, 09:59
Alrighty, some quick comments while I have a bit of free time.

@Arhalien Good stuff yet again and congrats on getting to the 2k mark!

@Dino Thats a great looking army you have there. The uniforms and bases go together so well.

@Knighta Awesome stuff again, you have a real army there. I hope the rat ogres go better for you than my mates one's do for him!

@Silverstu Looking good despite the small pallette.

@Catferret A simple but very effective conversion!

@Doi Nice sorceress, I really like the staff.

@Harry Very nice bloodcrushers. Those old mini's still look a bit goofy for mine :P

@Deadorc Keep hanging in there, the Lizzies are turning out great!

@Huw Mmmmm Hammerers. Well painted too. :D

@jme damn heathen punk elves :P

@Jonahmaul Awesome gobbo's yet again. You really do crank them out.

And now I have to go. I'll try to comment on everyone else's stuff later.

Cheers.

Harry
14-05-2008, 06:31
OK Finally sorted out my Dwarf army shots so here are my Dwarfs from last month.

DWARVES:

UNIT: 20 dwarf lord on Oath stone. And an Organ Gun. A bucket load of terrain.

BACKGROUND/THEME: No special back story to these.

BUILD/CONVERSION: The Lord is the old Dwarf Lord mini with the big horn removed and an arm and shield added.

The Organ Gun is straight out of the box.

PAINTING: Errm. Can’t think of anything to special to say.

BASING; Gritty sand, painted bestial brown, highlighted with Snakebite leather and bleached bone mixes little stones painted in greys with static grass added after.

STILL TO DO: Nothing these guys are finished. (except for a few bits and bobs).

HIGHS AND LOWS: All highs. I only painted four figures and a war machine! Really got into Dwarf mode last month. Painting all the terrain really motivated me.

POINTS: I have painted more than I needed. With a Dwarf lord and an Organ gun being over the required 200 points. I am not sure where I am with total poaints for my armies. I have lost track a bit.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7613/img3667hk4.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8391/img3708bl0.jpg

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/4104/img3671cq9.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4413/img3609dd6.jpg

Harry
14-05-2008, 06:39
For those of you who have not visited my plog .... I also painted some more dwarfy terrain.
(Lots more pics of this stuff on my plog if anyones interested).

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2971/img3640gl9.jpg

And here is the army shot.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6252/img3664qu6.jpg

Catferret
14-05-2008, 12:30
Great stuff Harry. The artillery crew faces look great. Plenty character.

Big boss man's rock looks sweet too.

Jonahmaul
14-05-2008, 20:03
Awesome looking stunties Harry, where's the Undead.....

Kraxnar
18-05-2008, 00:39
Ah, well it seems that I only have Harry's Dwarves left to comment on and they are awesome as always. The scenic bases and terrain really set them off.

As for me, well I have been slowly getting the Dragon Princes done when I can find the time. They need to be ready by next weekend because I am taking them to a tournament!

Given how late it is in the month I may as well post them in the next thread. A min unit of Spearelves and 'finishing' off the Dragon will see me through to 2k points after that.

As for the next ToFP, it is a pity that it starts directly after this one. July and August will be a painting no-go zone for me. It's probably for the best though as I will have to start writing my thesis soon after that :S

Huw_Dawson
18-05-2008, 07:36
Harry, that's not an Oathstone, that's just a very big rock. :D The stuff looks great, as always.

I'm wondering how those poor Dwarves carry it around...

- Huw

Harry
18-05-2008, 07:44
Thanks chaps.

Huw
They don't. My Oath stone is a place. A rock to which the Dwarf goes when the hold is under threat. The place he goes to form his army ready to defend their realm. The place on which he takes his oath.

They don't carry it around.

This is what I imagined (incorrectly) an oathstone to be when I first heard about it (a while before I read about it in detail in the book).

Harry
18-05-2008, 07:50
Sorted out pics for my Dark Elves.

They are not finished (and the photos are pants) but they have got three colours and are based like the rest of them so ...here you go.

UNIT(S) : 6 Dark Elf Dark Riders of Karond Kar.

BACKGROUND/THEME: The army of Karond Kar.

In the tongue of men the city of Karond Kar is called the city of Despair. It is to this terrible place that thousands of slaves are bought. Men from the old world, Elves from Ulthuan, and more from all across the world all destined to serve the Witch king. The wailing spirits of dead slaves are said to haunt the whole city. The Dark Elves love to hear this sound of dread and despair. It fills their dreams with delicious images of suffering and pain.

The army will be made entirely from vintage Marauder miniatures.

BUILD/CONVERSION: Straight out of the box vintage Marauder Dark Elf Dark riders. There were a number of different bodies but for this unit I have used all the same ones.

PAINTING: The same skin tones, armour, etc as the rest of the army.

BASING: Same as the rest of the army : Gritty sand, scorched brown highlighted with bestial brown and bleached bone mixes. (I have left these looking more baron as I imagine the far north of Naggaroth to be).

STILL TO DO: Shields and other bits.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3803/img3673mi4.jpg

And here is the army shot.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1386/img3676lo7.jpg

Huw_Dawson
18-05-2008, 08:16
This is what I imagined (incorrectly) an oathstone to be when I first heard about it (a while before I read about it in detail in the book).

Well, you could always inscribe a Rune of Levitation on the back of it, and make it float... :p

- Huw

Jonahmaul
19-05-2008, 15:33
Excellent DE's again Harry, the army is looking really nice together. But where are the undead....

Arhalien
28-05-2008, 22:05
Page 4?!!? Shame on you people! :p

Just thought I'd revive this to check on how people are doing; not too long until the end of the month; people all on track for finishing?

I'm also thinking that it's feeling wierd not having something to paint for a deadline at the end of the month; I'm also missing painting the woodies, as that brown and grey is considerably more fun than the red and white of the highelves :(
May buy a couple of hero models to paint during June for fun; mind if I clutter up the ToP thread with them if I do Harry? :p

@Harry: I;'m really impressed by the look of that dwarf army; as with your Counts, the use of the scenery and bases really ties the whole thing together brilliantly.
On that note, I see no dead people!

Dead orc
28-05-2008, 22:21
I found some old saurus models and thats making my 3rd unit for the army, painting is going ok so far.

Catferret
28-05-2008, 23:02
I'm looking like I'll be playing another Joker. The Maneaters may have to be abandoned in favour of a unit of Ironguts simply because they are easier to work on. I have a few spare so can build them up and paint them as a final submission.

I'm not gonna drop out this late on, but it looks like I won't be getting the units I intended to have done.

silverstu
29-05-2008, 07:54
cracking on with the dwarfs- should get a big unit finished soonish and maybe squeeze in a bsb to keep my points up.

Oh and Arhalien- would be great to see more of your woodies so go for it!

Jonahmaul
29-05-2008, 15:01
my giant is coming along but need to pull my finger out to get it finished on time, most likely it'll be a couple of days late again! just need to decide what to paint for next month, my original plan was to have two units of squig hoppers & I do need to paint my second shaman but i quite like the idea of painting some trolls.

Jonahmaul
30-05-2008, 16:33
Guess this question is mostly aimed at Harry who seems to have become our official organiser! Are we going to jump straight into the next TOFP or is there gong to be a month break to give everyone time to 'recuperate' & maybe work on some other stuff before TOFP takes over our lives again?!

silverstu
30-05-2008, 18:29
That's a good point Jonah, a wee break would be nice before diving straight into the next one[plus I have to decide what to do and if I can afford to do it!!!!

Catferret
31-05-2008, 01:09
I'd love a break, but mainly because the new Dark Elves don't come out for a while after the next tale was due to start. ;)

I guess I could do 40k instead... Meh.

Arhalien
31-05-2008, 08:58
I think that it will be starting straight away, although there is always the option of playing a joker or just painting a lord to giver yourself a break before starting properly.

Jonahmaul
31-05-2008, 22:24
I'd perfer a break because like Catferret I'm doing Dark Elves next! Although we pretty much know what's being re-released so we paint stuff that is staying the same first (ie. warriors, bolt throwers, witch elves). I'd still like a month off though as I've got quite a few half painted miniatures that i wanna get finished & I seem to put everything on hold when i'm doing TOFP (which may be even worse next year as i'm determind to do Tale of 40k painters as well & get my Tau army painted instead of being Grey as they have been for about 4 years now!)

@ Arhalien - of course you would be up for going straight into the next one seeing as you're piking out on us & not taking part :p you know you really want to join us, it's not fair that you're depriving us of your excellently painted stuff every month!

Arhalien
31-05-2008, 22:44
hehe :p

I'm flattered that you think my models are excellent painted Jonah; I wouldn;t go that far, but then I;m just a self-deprecating, pessimistic bugger ;)
I'm sorry I can't get involved in the next one if you'll miss me, but I'll try to keep painting the occasional thing during the holidays, and there's still 2 months of summer holidays for me to do some painting ;)

Hespithe
01-06-2008, 03:17
Jonah is not the only person who thinks so, mate. In fact, you all are producing some fantastic miniatures. I find myself more impressed with nearly every picture I see in the TOFP.

As was briefly mentioned by Harry, I no longer have the army, but I can say that it was completed to 2500pts before being sold off after a 2-win, 1-draw showing in a small local tourney of about 20 players and at 2250pts.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/Hespithe/Miscellaneous/DSC01177.jpg

This is a poor snapshot of the army/display for the tourney, and is not the exact list I originally posted, but it was a fun list to throw around.

For those of you who carry on, my thanks. You really do inspire.

Cheers!

Catferret
01-06-2008, 03:29
I'd forgotten that a chunk of Dark Elf stuff was staying the same... Guess I could start with a couple of Bolt Throwers and a character or two. That should see me through until the Corsairs are released. :D

Hespithe: Seems a shame that you sold off the army so soon after finishing it. Ah well, guess the proceeds can be used to buy an army for the next Tale. ;)

Jonahmaul
01-06-2008, 11:26
Is definately a shame that you sold those guys off Hesphite. There's plenty of stuff staying the same for us to be getting on with!! get those repeater crossbow warriors painted ready for their shiny new mates to turn up!

silverstu
01-06-2008, 12:23
Well I'm kindof planning darkelves too. However reading the rumour mills and how they play at the moment has really put me off a bit so I don't know:(. I have some VC, an old high elf army and a few woodies kicking around but the DE have some great models. I just wish DE players were a bit more positive and I knew a combined arms force would work with them[with decent infantry].
Oh and Arhalien maybe we could get you a dispensation- not having to paint a full army just a few bits every month? Won't be the same with out ya![anyway who are you trying to kid- you'll be on the darkelf bandwagon with the rest of us!];)

Arhalien
01-06-2008, 12:46
Dark Elves? Hmmm, next year Stu, next year :p

And I'm not sure whether to get angry with those encouraging me to get involved (can you not take no for an answer! :p), or to thank them; it's nice (and faintly surprising ;)) to see that I am in some way appreciated.
I'll try and make it up to you next year and do two armies or something (Dark Elves and IG/Pre Heresy marines of some kind?)

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the DE stuff that appears next year :)

@Hespithe: That's a very nice looking army there; seems a shame to have sold it. Did you get any closer pictures of the whole thing before you sold it?

Jonahmaul
01-06-2008, 16:03
Some of us appreciate you Arhalien, you bring amusement to the thread as well as well painted miniatures & you have stayed involved right throughout this TOFP. Think there's going to be quite a few Dark Elf armies around this time. I've akways wanted 1 of each of the elf armies but I sold my High Elves last year as I was fed up of them not getting painted (I had over 4000 points but i'd had most of it for years so it was depressing me sitting there!).

What don't you like about the DE's silverstu? I've read the new rules rumous but haven;t really thought about army composition. What I usually like to do with my armies is have about 2500-3000 points to choose from so I can alter my army & not use the same stuff all the time.

Arhalien
01-06-2008, 17:34
Awww, thanks Jonah; I appreciate you too!

:rolleyes:

This thread is becoming worryingly sentimental; where's a good dose of pie-based manliness when you need it (and the new thread too...) :p

Walls
01-06-2008, 18:15
This is the first time I've actually looked through this thread. Pretty inspiring stuff here guys. I think the sunny day will be ignored by me today. It's time to paint!! Thanks for the fire up!

silverstu
01-06-2008, 20:32
@Jonah- well I love the models and the fluff but reading how current darkelves seem to play-msu/no-touch/monster doesn't sound like fun. Of course the new rumours aren't solid but anything that comes up seems to get shot down pretty quickly. Typical elf/eldar rumour stuff-under powered/over powered/not fluffy/not fluffy enough etc. I just want to field some infantry blocks backed up with shock troops,cav and some shooting . I'll probably get them anyway- I'm not into competitive play and I'm a sucker for those models[although it IS wrong to be painting a witch elf and thinking- that's a really nice bum..].
@Arhalien- what about just one mini a month? have a little regiment of 12 by the end?Or how about being official commentator?

oh and Hespithe- the army looks awesome- shame you had to sell it so quickly. Still gives you some extra shelfspace for the next project.

Arhalien
01-06-2008, 20:36
@Stu: Official commentator is fine by me! :p
And I was half contemplating trying to convert up a mordheim warband over the summer and paint it throughout the year; I'll see what I can manage ;)

silverstu
01-06-2008, 21:06
That's the spirit!!

Jonahmaul
01-06-2008, 23:12
@ Arhalien - do it, you know you want to!

@ silverstu - i'm the same, don't really play competitively (i like to win but i don't enter tournaments or anything) & the models are awesome (the current range are already pretty excellent & the new ones coming out are going to make them really good). going to do my all with black skin like drow from d&d. playing prince of persia atm & really want to do one like the dark prince with black skin & funky yellow tattoos!

silverstu
02-06-2008, 08:58
@Jonah- yeah I love the range as well- plus I have ordered the AoW sorceress. I like the sound of your dark skinned dark elves- mine are the opposite- very pale with red warpaint/tattoos. Have to say though the cost of starting a new army is a bit scary- however if you order with maelstrom games before the 9th of june you can get 15% off with the voucher BIRTHDAY3. Have to get back to my dwarfs now so i finish THIS ToP...but the next is sounding like fun already.

Jonahmaul
02-06-2008, 12:59
Cheers for that code silverstu, I haven't placed my order for this months TOFP stuff yet so i'll be using that!!

Catferret
03-06-2008, 01:01
I can't find the new thread. I don't have much time to look for it just now, or get anything done for it, with work eating up all my time. :(

I am playing my final Joker and I'll see you all in a month, hopefully with a painting submission. Good luck to all those still submitting stuffs! :)

Dino
03-06-2008, 03:16
I COMMAND YOU HARRY IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS METAL AND WARSEER TO START THE NEXT TOFP THREAD

and make me a sandwich.

andymeechan
03-06-2008, 06:47
I've been getting good service from Miniatures By Post (http://www.miniaturesbypost.com). It's a 20% discount on most items and you can get a further 5% paying by cheque (don't ask me why!); you do pay postage though.

Jonahmaul
03-06-2008, 11:47
cheers for that andymeechan!

Harry
03-06-2008, 23:08
I COMMAND YOU HARRY IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS METAL AND WARSEER TO START THE NEXT TOFP THREAD

and make me a sandwich.
Done that now. (well ... not the sandwich).

Sorry for the delay.

I think I am planning on starting the next Tale of Painters straight away.

Arhalien you would be more than welcome to provide commentary (if you can find the time to pop in and visit us).... Sounds fun.

Arhalien
04-06-2008, 14:49
Oh don;t worry Harry, I'll find time, you aren't getting rid of me that easily ;)