PDA

View Full Version : The Tales of the High Seas painters. (Month 2)

Harry
05-05-2008, 10:19
The Tales of High Seas Painters. (Month 2)

Arrrrrggghhh! Avast ye land lubbers, hoist the jolly roger and all that.

'Twas a poor turn out last month 'tis true. But I'll give ee one more chance.
Ifin you ain't nay better this month I'll be droppin' the lot of yee in my wake and leavin' yee fer the sharks I'll be bound. :D

'ere be this months painting.
Please post everything you have painted so far so folks can see what you have been up to.
After that we can use this thread for chat, questions,painting advice, tutorials, encouragement, Work in Progress, etc, etc...

WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT?

The idea off this thread is to motivate us (and anyone who wants to join us) to get stuff painted.

I have started this thread following the success of “The Tale of Fantasy Painters” and “The Tale of 40K Painters”. I started this to celebrate the release of “Legends of The High Seas” from Warhammer Historical. My hope is to ride 'the wave of enthusiasm' for all things Piratical to help motivate us to get stuff painted.

So that’s it really … if you want to paint Pirates and want somewhere to post them Or you just want to watch us painting Pirates this is where to come.

Please feel free to join us.

Unlike the other 'Tales' rather than have a set start and finish date and require a set number of points or a unit (or crew) every month in this thread painters can post as much or as little as they like, even if that is only one mini a month. (as long as you try and post something!)

This way folks can get stuff painted fast if they want to (which will inspire and motivate the rest of us to get our stuff painted) OR they can concentrate on one mini at a time and on painting it as well as they can.

I will start a new thread each month so that folks can post anything they have got painted so far at the start of each month for everyone to enjoy. After that each thread will be for chat, questions, painting advice, encouragement, tutorials, WIP etc, etc....

The painters who have signed up so far :

Bellarus :
Calibretto : Warmachine Pirates
Chris-Tzeentch :
Count Sinister :
Dead orc : Navy and Pirates
Harry : Fantasy crews
Hastings : Navy and Pirates
Lardidar : Pirate and Navy and Boats
Malarick : Pirates
Steam Giant :
Scarlet squig : Pirates
Tsen : Pirates
Widgren : Pirates

I would like to thank the painters involved for their interest and enthusiasm in this project. I know it is going to help me get stuff painted and I hope it helps motivate you too. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope this project is a big success.

I also hope 'the viewers at home' enjoy the results of all the hard work of the painters.

Harry
05-05-2008, 10:20
If any of ye be wantin to talk Pirate ...

Double up on all your adjectives and you'll be bountifully bombastic with your phrasing. Pirates never speak of "a big ship", they call it a "great, grand ship!" They never say never, they say "No nay ne'er!"

• Drop all your "g"'s when you speak and you'll get words like "rowin'", "sailin'" and "fightin'".

• Dropping all of your "v"'s will get you words like "ne'er", "e'er" and "o'er".

• Instead of saying "I am", sailors say, "I be". Instead of saying "You are", sailors say, "You be". Instead of saying, "They are", sailors say, "They be". Ne'er speak in anythin' but the present tense!

Hints an' Tips

If it be helpin', start yer sentence wi' a "Arr, me hearty," in a deep, throaty voice — ye'll find that the rest be comin' much easier.

Vocabulary

In which ye'll find words submitted by many pirates o'er the years, an' which comprise a loose piratical dictionary.
• Ahoy: Hey!
• Avast: Stop!
• Aye: Yes
• Black spot: to be 'placin' the black spot' be markin' someone for death
• Booty: treasure
• Buccanneer: a pirate who be answerin' to no man or blasted government
• By the Powers!: an exclamation, uttered by Long John Silver in Treasure Island!
• Cat o' nine tails: whip for floggin' mutineers
• Corsair: a pirate who be makin' his berth in the Med-...Medi-...that sea 'tween Spain and Africa, aye!
• Davy Jones' Locker: the bottom o' the sea, where the souls of dead men lie
• Doubloons: pieces of gold...
• Fiddlers Green: the private heaven where pirates be goin' when they die
• Furner: a ship which be yer own, not one ye steal an' plunder
• Gentlemen o' fortune: a slightly more positive term fer pirates!
• Go on the account: to embark on a piratical cruise
• Grog: A pirate's favorite drink
• Jack: a flag or a sailor
• Jolly Roger: the skull and crossbones, the pirate flag!
• Keelhaul: a truly vicious punishment where a scurvy dog be tied to a rope and dragged along the barnacle-encrusted bottom of a ship. They not be survivin' this
• Landlubber: "Land-lover," someone not used to life onboard a ship
• Lass: A woman
• Lily-livered: faint o' heart
• Loaded to the Gunwales (pron. gunnels): drunk
• Matey: A shipmate or a friend
• Me hearty: a friend or shipmate
• Me: My
• Pieces o' eight: pieces o' silver which can be cut into eights to be givin' small change
• Privateer: a pirate officially sanctioned by a national power
• Scallywag: A bad person. A scoundrel.
• Scurvy dog!: a fine insult!
• Shiver me timbers!: an exclamation of surprise, to be shouted most loud
• Son of a Biscuit Eater: a derogatory term indicating a bastard son of a sailor
• Sprogs: raw, untrained recruits
• Squadron: a group of ten or less warships
• Squiffy: a buffoon
• Swaggy: a scurvy cur's ship what ye be intendin' to loot!
• Swashbucklin': fightin' and carousin' on the high seas!
• Sweet trade: the career of piracy
• Thar: The opposite of "here."
• Walk the plank: this one be bloody obvious
• Wench: a lady, although ye gents not be wantin' to use this around a lady who be stronger than ye
• Wi' a wannion: wi' a curse, or wi' a vengeance. Boldly, loudly!
• Yo-ho-ho: Pirate laughter.

Have fun.

EmperorNorton
05-05-2008, 12:24
I'm starting on a pirates warband for Mordheim (just got the first minis in the mail).
Can I still join?

Lardidar
05-05-2008, 12:43
My camera that was dodgy last month has packed in all together this month.

I will carry on painting but pics will have to wait till I can get my hands on a new camera ... as to when that will be I have no idea.

Harry
05-05-2008, 13:31
I'm starting on a pirates warband for Mordheim (just got the first minis in the mail).
Can I still join?
Yes. Absolutely. This is an open ended thread for all things Piratical.

75hastings69
05-05-2008, 13:36
Right I am most definately still in this Harry, but I have 2 problems, #1 my camera is not working and #2 my Navy have still not arrived (must be still ashore getting pissed!!!).

Harry
05-05-2008, 14:00
Arrrrgggh. I been 'avin a few problems me self laddie.

I can't make photobucket work anymore. It appears to be broken. Here is the last picture i got of this months Pirate before it fell over.

He is not quite finished yet but he is based. (although thts not quite finished either. :D)

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9094/img3624ur7.jpg

And here is my crew so far. (apologies for the blurry photo I will have another go when I get the chance).

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6953/img3680vr4.jpg

Isha
06-05-2008, 10:59
Arrrrrrr! Lad, that shiver me timbers! I be doin other stuff now but wants to contribute in dis most fine thread!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

scarletsquig
23-05-2008, 00:46
Nice stufff, Harry! Like the parrot.

Quick post to mention that I won't be contibuting this month due to uni finals.

I do have about 20 black scorpion pirates ready to go though... if the the thread dies, I'll start a seperate log. :)

The Laughing God
24-05-2008, 02:26
Ahoy,

I like pirates, can't wait to see more!

Harry
24-05-2008, 09:24
Me too ... but my crew seem to have abondoned ship. :D

EmperorNorton
05-06-2008, 16:02
Just to show that I haven't forgotten about this here's a work in progress shot of my first pirate for Mordheim:

http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/Pirate.JPG

The lack of light really compliments my painting...

EmperorNorton
13-06-2008, 15:00
The crew grows:

http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/Pirate2_front.JPG

EmperorNorton
15-06-2008, 17:24
And the next one:

http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/Pirate3_front.jpg

http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/Pirate3_back.jpg

Harry
15-06-2008, 19:20
Arrrrgh,. Its a motly looking crew to be sure but glad your still with me me hearty.

I have two more minis nearly finished aswell. I'll get them up soon.

I love the little fella. Cracking job on the jacket. Which manufacturer is he from.

EmperorNorton
15-06-2008, 21:31
He's from Reaper, released fairly recently I think. He goes by the name of Bergo Ironbelly.
I have three more almost done, which I hope will be completed within a week. And I just ordered the rest of my crew. Black Scorpion Miniatures makes awesome pirates.

Lardidar
16-06-2008, 13:41
My new'ish (2nd hand) camera will arrive on Friday and I will be back in the game :)

I have 3 painted pirates and cowboys so far .... am I on track or lagging by a month?

Darnok
16-06-2008, 14:02
Due to GW releasing some excellent (vampire) pirate miniatures, I'm adding bits and pieces to my zombie pirates army. As I don't want to contribute myself to the ToFP log (I'm doing 40K instead), this here might be better. Are there any restrictions at all, on how much is to paint per month?

EmperorNorton
25-06-2008, 14:49
With two additional wenches, here's my crew so far:

http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/Pirates.JPG

Still waiting for my Black Scorpion pirate lasses to add to the mix.

Malorian
25-06-2008, 17:43
Where did that middle model come from?

EmperorNorton
25-06-2008, 18:13
Where did that middle model come from?

Reaper. Her name is Melisande Wavecutter.