PDA

View Full Version : LOTR Tale of Gamers: Final Checkup

Death Korp
27-05-2008, 14:18
THE THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Right, here is to make sure i have done everything right.

This thread is for people to tell me if they want to change their army, and for people who still want to join in.

YOU HAVE UNTIL THE 30TH JUNE TO JOIN OR FINALISE YOUR ARMY CHOICE

Here are the rules again for people still wanting to join in

*You will paint 500pts of a army based on the Legions of Middle Earth rules (You can do more then 1 army). I can make some exceptions though if you ask nicely :) I don't bite.
*You have the first month (June) to finalise your army list (for the Mordor players), but you still have to paint 100pts for your army for that month.
*Every month, you must have photographic evidence of doing something. If you don't, then i'll give you a PM to remind you, unless you have a good reason to miss the month (Sickness, exams etc)
*This will last 6 months (June-November)
*You can play 1 Joker in the period of the TOPs (This means you can miss one month out, thats why we have 6 months to do it in).
*The first WIP thread will open on the 1st June, then the next thread will be 'Junes finished products and July WIP thread' and so on.
*And most of all, have fun!

EDIT: Here is where you put your army lists: TOLotRPs: Army Lists (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2651472#post2651472)

So, basically set around the TOFPs and TO40kPs rules. Here are the gamers involed at the moment and their armies:

GOOD

Corai: Osgiliath Vets.
Daredhnu: Gondor
Hermanesq: Arnor
Kettilman: Gondor
Kroot Lord: Dol Amroth
The Emperor sucks: Gondor
Tombking: Grey Company
Nightsword: High Elves
Intrepid Adventurer: High Elves
Crisis_Core: Rangers and Tower of Ectilieon

NEUTRAL

Death Korp: Easterlings and Gondor
skuller: Numenorians and Black Numenorians
Mr. Feral: Umbar and Gondor/Arnor

EVIL

arobe: Serpent Horde
C-Coen: Cirith Ungol
cerealkiller195: Harad
dax: Corsairs of Umbar
GabrielAngelos: BaradDur-Angmar Alliance
heldane: Moria
Killshot: Harad
lorelorn: Black Gate
stonehorse: Uruk-hai
Leviro: Mordor
Temozarela: Angmar
cerealkiller195: Harad/Serpent Horde
Sniper Kelly: Black Gate
ice: Uruk-Hai

Is this right?

DK

Leviro
27-05-2008, 15:59
Id like to join, but mordor isnt out untill the end of june, could i use a joker, and not paint anythin that month? ive alredy got an army list ready, so could i tell you next week if i join??

stonehorse
27-05-2008, 16:56
Due to me also starting Flames of War, I'll have to go back to just the one army, which will be the Legion of the White Hand.

Sorry for the confussion.

Temozarela
27-05-2008, 17:09
I think i'd like to join this, i've been out of the hobby for about 2 years now (played all the systems) I think LOTR would be the best game to get back into (it's really fun and i could do with a new army...)

Maybe an Angmar army (Mordor's tempting, but you just need to look North for everything you want).

Bring back my old friend Gothrack the Terrible (in yet another guise) leading his battered battle company of Orcs. Have that allied with a host of Hill Trolls and White Wargs (maybe throw in a few dead things for good measure) and there you have a pretty decent army.

Try and convert as many models as possible, paint them up good and proppa and dust of my dice and rulebook...

So you need to post WIP at the beginning of the month and the finished products at the end.. Is that right?

count me in

tombking
27-05-2008, 17:20
That looks quite fun, i'll join in. I'll be doing a Thranduil's Halls army.

Death Korp
27-05-2008, 17:40
@Leviro: You can use your Joker on the first month if wanted. Are you in then with mordor?

@stonehorse: No problem mate.

@Temozarela: Cool :) So, you're doing Angmar then? And for the question afterwards, yep, WIPs at the beginning of the month, finished products in the next months WIP thread

@tombking: Hop on the mad train :)

I'll re-edit the list above :)

DK

Mr Feral
27-05-2008, 18:20
The rules sound good to me, I'm ready and sorted for June. Did you mean 30th May to finalise army lists or do we have the first month as well?

dax
27-05-2008, 19:22
I might also do my Troll Army of Far Harad as well as the Corsairs but don't put me down for it just yet - if I can do 6 Half Trolls in June then I'll definately do it as I'd only need to do 1 or 2 mini's a month thereafter.

Nightsword
27-05-2008, 19:57
Can you change me to high elves please. Serpent horde proved too expensive, and elves on ebay were cheap. I'm fickle... :D

Do you want us to post our army lists with what we intend to paint?

C-Coen
27-05-2008, 21:02
Mine's correct, tough you're allowed to specify it by calling it 'Cirith Ungol'. Not needed in any way, but I just like the sound of it. :D
'specially cause it really includes the good ol' lady spider herself...

Temozarela
27-05-2008, 22:35
Angmar, yes.

I've written a rough army list. Tell me if it's ok.

I can't wait to start painting again :D

lorelorn
28-05-2008, 09:10
Please change mine from Barad-dur to Black Gate

edit: thanks! I checked out the Mordor book today, and realised I could do my whole list out of there.

Hermanesq
28-05-2008, 12:28
Expand me out to Arnor, rather than grey company.

Semi tight month cash wise for june, and since ive got around 35 arnor warriors, 16 hobbit archers, a box of rangers and some other bits and pieces todo, might aswell do an arnor list and get the rangers in there that way, then expand it out at a later date.

May have some random appearances from other bits aswell, but Arnor will take prescedence

Chris

Death Korp
28-05-2008, 13:01
Changed the bits on the list.

You have the first month (June) to finalise your army list (for the Mordor players), but you still have to paint 100pts for your army for that month. (Part of rules section now).
I'll make a seprate thread for army lists.

If you have seen the other TOPs on here, then your post will be set out like that each month for WIP and finished models. I'll explain more when i put the thread up.

I've just stripped a load of Minas Tirith guys and Easterlings... my head hurts....:(

EDIT: Here is where you put your army lists:

TOLotRPs: Army Lists (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2651472#post2651472)

DK

Mr Feral
28-05-2008, 14:04
Hey, can someone with the Harad sourcebook confirm that the following are all in the "Umbar" list; Dalamyr, Hasharin, Corsair Bo'Sun, Corsairs of Umbar and Haradrim Warriors?

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT* I nearly have my Dalamyr finished, that's one month's worth done already!

heldane
28-05-2008, 14:45
Hey all.

You got my details right ;)

Do we have to post the full 500 point list now then? I was planning on painting a little bit each month and seeing where I ended up in 6 months truth be told.

Dan

Leviro
28-05-2008, 14:48
Ok im up for certain, can someone who has seen the mordor codex confirm this lis : the dark marshal on horce, 2 moranon orc captains, 24 morannon orcs and 5 morgul knights. i think its about 24pts over 500pts, but does it matter? (i canjust not use a morgul knight, but id prefer not to)

Death Korp
28-05-2008, 15:13
@Heldane: It would be nice if you did post your Army list :) Yeah, you knida need an army list so that you know know what you are painting realy, its an idea i'm playing around with to be honest.

@Leviro: Can you post this on the Army list thread please :) Its on the 14th post :)

heldane
28-05-2008, 15:33
@Heldane: It would be nice if you did post your Army list :) Yeah, you knida need an army list so that you know know what you are painting realy, its an idea i'm playing around with to be honest.

Then I'm afraid I'll be backing out of the tale. I want to paint based on whim's and fancies, and I dont want to be hidebound by a list. Nor do I want to have to see how many goblins I may have to paint.

My apologies

Dan

Death Korp
28-05-2008, 16:33
Ahhh sod it, you don't have to abide by an army list.

As long as you have a 500pt army, you'll be fine. This goes for the rest of you if wanted :)

DK

Mr Feral
28-05-2008, 16:46
Ahhh sod it, you don't have to abide by an army list.

As long as you have a 500pt army, you'll be fine. This goes for the rest of you if wanted :)

DK

Ah that's good to hear! I'm goign to stick rigidly to my Umbar list, but I'm probably going to add a few of my Easterlings in as well. I've always wanted to paint up the Khamul model :D.

Crisis_Core
29-05-2008, 01:18
Hey mate is it possible if I could join in too? I've got holidays coming up soon, so it would be good incentive to whip up an army during my spare time :D I'd be doing a Gondor Army most likely.

The Emperor sucks
29-05-2008, 06:19
is it an issue if one does more than 500 points of one army?

cerealkiller195
29-05-2008, 06:21
yeah im not exactly sure what i want in a list per se seeing as the 'local' gw has few actual LOTR players on the days that i visit. So i was just going to collect what caught my fancy and attempt to make a list out of it at a later date or when needed.

in my mind i want to make my post something like a journal from the characters perspective. Gaining resources (new models and such) through his long journey

Nightsword
29-05-2008, 08:47
I think that, unless absolutely necessary, that you should probably create a list, if not only for something to plan your time with. It will be far more motivational and will give you a useable army at the end, rather than clobbering it together. Unless of course, ou are adding to an existing army, where you may just want a few more troops here and there and some heroes etc.

I do like your journal idea CerealKiller though...

Death Korp
29-05-2008, 10:03
@Crisis_Core: Sure mate, i'll stick you on the list

@The Emperor sucks: No you can do as much as you want! The minimum is 500pts.

@cerealkiller195: Do you actaully have an idea on what army you are going to collect at least? The journal idea is superb!

@Nightsword: I agree.

DK

Intrepid Adventurer
29-05-2008, 11:39
Great idea this! I was wondering though: I have a largely unpainted High Elf force lying around which I'd love to enter for this. However, one model (admittedly not much, eh!) is already painted and a couple of others are basecoated and have a few colors. However, it still needs to expand a bit to reach 500 pts. Could I enter with these guys? Or do I really need to start from scratch?

Mr Feral
29-05-2008, 11:49
Great idea this! I was wondering though: I have a largely unpainted High Elf force lying around which I'd love to enter for this. However, one model (admittedly not much, eh!) is already painted and a couple of others are basecoated and have a few colors. However, it still needs to expand a bit to reach 500 pts. Could I enter with these guys? Or do I really need to start from scratch?

That sounds good! I don't thnk you need to start from scratch (well I'm not either :angel:). Post up an army list and welcome to the Tale!

Temozarela
29-05-2008, 14:08
Right, so what is needed for the 1st of June, a picture of what you plan to do in that month (picture of un/assembled model/s) or what...?

minimum of 500pts? I may have to revise my list then... (mwahahaha...)

I love it when someone adds that little bit more to their army i.e. the journal. I think i'll write a short story for each of my battles or chronicle it in a saga of sorts, The Legend of Gothrak the Terrible... though i'll try and depict a strong narrative in the modelling too - "Who do you call when things go green? Dax!" - I think i'll make my first purchase tomorrow

Clear the desk, there be painting to be done!

cerealkiller195
29-05-2008, 15:08
List wise I'm doing Harad/Serpent Horde, I'm not exactly sure on the difference because I choose to buy a box of harad warriors instead of the army book. Somewhat foolish i know but I couldn't wait to get the project started!

That and i prefer the versatility of painting up various models for my faction, because it will give me more options. That and i see that mounted models can fall off their horses so painting the extra men would work out in the end regardless. Though i do see your logic and will attempt to go down to the GW store and glance at their Harad book and make an attempt at a list.

dax
29-05-2008, 20:58
"Who do you call when things go green? Dax!"

If it's green it's mean! If I can help in anyway with conversions I will but I can't scuplt the things for you unfortunately. Alot of my conversions are actually very simple to do and I'll try to do some step by step guides as I do them so you can see how they're done.

Check out my article on converting Corsair Reavers:
http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php?pid=disparticle&catid=10&subid=74&artilceid=3534

Temozarela
29-05-2008, 21:19
I've never really used green stuff, but i think i can handle most of what i plan to do (i'm patient and my tools are nice and wet... could do with some green stuff though...)

The only problem i can see is doing thick fur cloaks/pelts etc (like rapped around the Orcs shoulders - think Ragnar Blackmane on a bigger scale - perhaps White Warg fur). Most fur tutorials just tell you to score the green stuff, but after looking at some people's attempts it seems like there might be more to it...

Good tutorial, maybe i'll convert some bare chested Orc berserkers....

dax
29-05-2008, 21:34
Scoring greenstuff to do fur will get you a passable result but I have a better way of doing it thats almost as easy I'll do a tutorial over the weekend for you it really is easy to do.

Temozarela
29-05-2008, 21:53
Much gratitude to you

:]

i think i'll start my army plan, to prepare for the trials ahead

Death Korp
29-05-2008, 23:32
@Intrepid Adventurer: I'll let you off on that one model, and welcome aboard :)

@Temozarela: A pic of what you plan to do would be nice :)

@cerealkiller195: Ok then, i know what you mean, models are nicer then books! :D

DK

Sniper Kelly
30-05-2008, 01:09
Hi there, can you put me down for a Black Gate army?

The Emperor sucks
30-05-2008, 02:04
If thats the case, twords the end if I have time (I probably will) I may add more rangers, axemen, Scottsmen, and some dead people to my army

dax
30-05-2008, 07:49
The fur tutorial is here:

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2656934#post2656934

I originally put it here but it won't accept inbedded pictures for some reason.

Death Korp
30-05-2008, 11:10
@Sniper Kelly: Will do :)

Also....

YOU HAVE TODAY TO JOIN OR FINALISE YOUR ARMY CHOICE

DK

ice
30-05-2008, 17:07
i'm very seriously thikning about joing up, it's just that no one plays LOTR around here ( i have a 1000 point Urak army un p ainted lol)
I guess i'll do it up Sign me up for Urak hai!

Temozarela
30-05-2008, 18:43
@Dax: Thanks, that was a big help. i've had a look at the Orcs and Morannon Orcs - which i aslo plan to use - i own an Orc army (so i know the models), but it's not looking too good, i just hope i can convey my vision with these models... (i also plan to convert other minatures, like the Arnor Command and even the Last King of Arnor himself, into some charcterful Orcs)

@Death Korp: i've yet to make my first purchase (why did my local GW have to close..)

i've edited my list to make 1000pts and have set down a plan of what i aim to do during the next 6 months (i have yet to finalise it, could someone help me replace the odd 3 wargs - 24pts - with something else, i'm not spending 12 for 3 wargs)

i'll post pictures of my WIP in the designated thread when i get the chance, this is not due to laziness, but rather exams, a very small selection of LOTR minatures at the only shop that sells them (its got plenty of fantasy and 40k, but so little LOTR), a brother who likes to use both the PC and his Wii at the same time and the classic, no place to work (i'll need to do some, rather late, spring cleaning before i can get this pack mule on the road). I would rather not use my joker as i plan to get as much done in June as possible , but i've got a lot of hurdles to pass before i can even start....

Good luck to everyone though :D

Death Korp
30-05-2008, 19:57
Ice: Added you on, thanks for joining :)

Temozarela: I feel sorry for you mate, i have 2 GWs near me so i'm ok :D

Right, the thread is now:

CLOSED

I need alot of time now to organise the thread post on Microsoft Word for Sunday, so i need all the time i can get since i am busy tommorow.

So, no more signing up now. If you have any questions, just PM me :)

DK

Mr Feral
30-05-2008, 21:25
*puts hand up* Just a quick question.

Do we have a specific format for our posts with finished stuff like the other Tales?

Also I'm doing two armies now, I've updated my post on the other army list thread.

(ps. if you open your last post up, there's the option to close the thread yourself under one of the drop-down menus. I think it's called "Thread Tools" or something similar.)

Death Korp
30-05-2008, 22:20
lol, i forgot to actually close it :D

No, i am not going to be harsh and have everything in one post. But, at the begining of Julys post, then we will have ONE post for completed things and then the rest of the thread carries on in the WIP style of July and so on.

I'll add your army now :D

DK