PDA

View Full Version : Melee Chosen, are they worth it?

Lordsaradain
27-05-2008, 20:27
I'm in the process of assembling some CSM and I'm considering converting a few Chosen.
I think a melee oriented close combat chosen squad could look really cool, with say, 1 Powerfist, 1 Powerweapon and 2 Pairs of Lightning Claws and Mark of Khorne, but the question is, are they really worth taking?
Chosen with Powerfists or Powerweapons cost more than Terminators with their respective equipment, while a chosen with dual Lightning Claws is only 2 points cheaper than a terminator weilding the same weapons.

The most useful way to go with chosen seems to be just equipping them with meltaguns and letting them infiltrate, in hope of being able to destroy some tanks, and leave the melee to terminators.

Does anyone have any experience of melee oriented chosen, or would anyone recommend it?

ReveredChaplainDrake
27-05-2008, 20:56
Oh yeah, melee Chosen with the Mark of Khorne are definitely one of the nastiest kinds of Chosen you can field. But when you start giving them Power Weapons, you get into problems. Terminators are cheaper, have a better save, and can always deepstrike with their Power Weapons. Chosen can only Infiltrate when the mission allows. If taking Chosen for combat purposes, the one thing that makes Chosen more worthwhile than Terminators is their ability to throw out tons of attacks, which can cause a lot of pain to large units without particularly good toughness and/or armor, like Gaunts and Orks.

Khorne Chosen can also put out a larger number of Bolter shots than their heavier brethren and still have plenty of CC attacks. One of most powerful perks of having two weapon sets on the same model.

solvay
27-05-2008, 21:13
im doing a similar thing at the moment coming up with khorne based army lists
if you are going to do a squad like you want it will end up costing about 250 points+ which in my opinion whilst it is nice is too many points for me to squeeze into an army where points arent flowing freely

Lordsaradain
27-05-2008, 22:05
So how is a chosen unit with icon of khorne better than a squad of khorne berzerkers?

One of chosens biggest strenght must be that they can include so many powerfist/weapon dudes right? That, and infiltrate.
Who needs bolters if you are gonna just advance and assault? Then you'll be using pistols anyway...

solvay
27-05-2008, 22:12
chosen with an icon are better than berserkers as they can get into combat faster because of infiltrate and can have more special weapons (at a price), hwereas berserkers have WS5 and furious assault meaning that they can cause just as much damage potentially as they are hitting and wounding easier as a side adventage they are also fearless for when the rolls dont go your way

Aristocrap
27-05-2008, 22:42
While it's true that they can get into cc faster, I'd choose Termies over Chosen for cc roles for the same reasons ReveredChaplainDrake suggested. Personally, I'd use Chosen for anti-tank purposes because of their Infitrate skill, they can get behind/near vehicles easier and can also cause more havoc amongst your opponet's units.

Bigbot
27-05-2008, 23:14
Also worth it because you can put them in a Rhino and rush them along, wheras Termies need a Land Radier for transport

Aristocrap
27-05-2008, 23:36
But then again,you can deepstrike Termies. Won't be as accurate, but it's cheaper. Only problem is if the mission doesn't allow it.

EarlGrey
27-05-2008, 23:59
But then again,you can deepstrike Termies. Won't be as accurate, but it's cheaper. Only problem is if the mission doesn't allow it.

Terminators can always deep strike - even in missions that don't allow it.
(I think.)

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
28-05-2008, 00:06
Terminators can always deep strike - even in missions that don't allow it.
(I think.)

Chaos Terminators sounds shafted again i think ...

Bigbot
28-05-2008, 00:13
Nope it's true they can