PDA

View Full Version : Have all the Books?

Tuch
28-05-2008, 22:43
I have a local game store where I can pick up the books for $16 a piece after tax and have been thinking of getting the new books as they come out. It would let me learn more about all the strengths/weaknesses of the varying armies as well as give me a chance to try, well, everything.

So my question is, how many of you out there have multiple (if not all) of the army books for the current edition?

How many of you who do have actually used proxy lists with friends in order to play a multitude of the armies?

Malorian
28-05-2008, 22:48
At first I only had the books I was interested in, but when I started to go to tournaments I bought all the books so I would know what I was up against. Doesn't always help though, as there is always some rule I forget... (damn you Destroyer of Eternities!!!...)

I've proxied an army a few times, but it was only in 40k. (I used gnoblars as zombies when I first started playing VC's before I had enough models, but that doesn't count ;) )

Loopstah
28-05-2008, 22:55
At the minute I've got the Lizardmen, Dwarfs and Vampire Counts books. I'll probably pick up Wood Elves or O&G this weekend as:
(a) I like the fluff/ info in the books,
(b) it gives me an idea what I might come up against and
(c) if I know the special rules/ items for different armies I can pick up on people trying to pull a fast one on me.

I plan on buying all the books just for reference, though knowing me I'll probably start a couple of new armies as well. :D

JayMack
28-05-2008, 23:02
I buy all the books as well. It doesn't hurt to know what you're going to be facing. As for the latter question. I proxy a lot with a buddy of mine cause he's a cheap ass who wants it all but is too cheap to buy more than one army. =P

Aflo
28-05-2008, 23:19
I used to, in 6th, but have only picked up the demon book so far in 7th. Reason being that I play alot less than I used to and that, in my eyes, limiting distracting, new, flashy releases can only be a good thing when you have as much to paint as me :p

DoktorZinieztro
28-05-2008, 23:28
The only one I'm stubbornly refusing to buy is the Bretonnians. They just don't appeal to me in any way...

Of the others, I'm still missing Beast of Chaos. It's only available in Spanish around here, and I just don't like the Spanish "Spanish" translations... really shabby, the lot of them.

Fortunatelly, I don't need proxy as either there's an available army I can borrow and friends willing to lend theirs, as I do for those guys who want to try out any of mine. Not to mention my group has a fair share of veterans that go back many years, so pretty much any model is covered by the collective pool.

And since I'm a "late comer" to many releases, there's usually someone with a primed army by the time I get there to check out the next "big, new thingy".

paspinall
28-05-2008, 23:31
I have all the army books yeah, and I have made lists with them all as well, I do proxy armies now and then but its usually when i am considering buying said army.

Zethal
28-05-2008, 23:31
Yeah, I own most of the books, it should be all, but I have not got around to buying all of them yet, I'll get all the 7th edition ones.

And then yes when I get the books I have a few friends who I play proxy lists against, to better understand the army.

But I only 'play' Dark Elves and Tomb Kings.

As two armies is really enough to own for me, and every once in a while we have game days where we trade our army with the opponent for fun.

dinobot
29-05-2008, 01:07
I bought the VC book in 6th edition, only to have it destroyed when my basement flooded. Haven't bought a book since, and I never plan to; the new VC book is really disappointing in terms of content and I'm not about to spend 30$ (more then 3 full length novels) on a few rules and fluff.

Essayons101
29-05-2008, 01:23
I only buy the books to armys I think I might get at some point. With 40k and fantasy, too much money in just books to get them all.

soots
29-05-2008, 01:27
I bought all the books, but i lost them some how. I however backed them all onto PDF before I lost them :D

Kerill
29-05-2008, 02:43
I have all the books (even bretonnians) and read through them all fairly regularly to give me an idea of what my army might face. I also look at other armies in the army list forum for the same reason.

blueon462
29-05-2008, 03:06
I have all the books, and my gaming group and I regularly proxy battles with different armies.

greendan
29-05-2008, 03:31
Yeah i pretty much ended up buying all the army books, although i only play Empire.
But anywho i find they all make a superior read upon the toilet.
Highly recommended.
:chrome:

Dexter099
29-05-2008, 03:56
I usually don't even buy the books for my own armies for a year:p

Maybe I shouldn't do that, but as of now I have had all of my books for two years now.

My friend just downloads them all off of Bit-torrent and reads them.I generally simply memorize a lot of things, and some things I don't. I haven't had more than 10 minutes to look at the get you by list, so I havn't memorized that one yet.

Rodman49
29-05-2008, 04:10
Yeah, just download the ones of armies you don't play - spend your cash on models.

TheDarkDuke
29-05-2008, 04:56
I have all of but the following books:

Wood Elf
Empire
Chaos Daemons

I may go out and get daemons, I will never get Empire I dislike them too much, and find them terribly boring. The main reason I have nearly all of the Army Books is not so much to proxy or even learn strengths and weakness and to see what someone can throw at me... but it is for the fluff, and stories. I eventually get around to writing up some army lists to kill time and just see what I may someday make. Heck even 40k wise I am only short:

Space Wolves
Chaos Daemons
Witch Hunters
Space Marines (waiting on the new one to release)

I guess I might be deemed a Army Book/Codex whore... but hey who's counting?

paspinall
29-05-2008, 07:47
I bought the VC book in 6th edition, only to have it destroyed when my basement flooded. Haven't bought a book since, and I never plan to; the new VC book is really disappointing in terms of content and I'm not about to spend 30$ (more then 3 full length novels) on a few rules and fluff.

Wow goes to show the variences in prices...

I mean a codex/army book here is £12, and a normal sized novel is £7 so its less than even the price of 2 let alone 3.

mattieice
29-05-2008, 07:59
I own all the 6th edition army books (excpet ogres...) and for 7th edition I have Dwarfs, O+G, VC, and HE. I just find them exceptional to read in terms of lore and they all have tremendous artwork. Truly the army books are GW's last great deal out there.

Alathir
29-05-2008, 08:49
The background is the reason I want all the books, still haven't picked them up yet - I think I will after each has had their 7th edition release.

Whitehorn
29-05-2008, 08:52
I refuse to buy all, as they get replaced so quickly. I bought Hordes of Chaos 3 months ago.. its now replaced by White Dwarf :P

Since I have been playing 18 years and have copies of every edition, you hit a point where you look at 40+ outdated army books, rule books, codices and loose the will to keep updated on every army out there.

Leogun_91
29-05-2008, 09:45
and for 7th edition I have Dwarfs, O+G, VC, and HE. Liar dwarfs haven“t got an 7th edition, they were the last to be updated BEFORE the 7th edition.

The SkaerKrow
29-05-2008, 13:13
All I have at the moment are Dark Elves, Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Skaven, Orcs and Goblins and Ogre Kingdoms. My Hordes of Chaos, Empire and Vampire Counts books have become outdated, and I don't care enough about any of those armies to update.

McMullet
29-05-2008, 13:27
I've been getting all of the 7th ed Fantasy books and started buying all the 4th ed codices around the same time. It is nice to know a bit about the armies you'll be facing at tournaments, but I mainly like to have the books for background (which they are generously supplied with these days).

Jedi152
29-05-2008, 13:38
I've got all except the current O&Gs, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen and Dark Elf, which i intend to pick up at some point.

I've got a lot of 4th/5th edition ones too. I buy them all for the background, and it's good to at least know the rules for other armies.

Weldo Rubin
29-05-2008, 13:50
Liar! Dwarfs haven't got a 7th edition, they were the last to be updated BEFORE the 7th edition.

Nope, Dwarfs was the first Army Book to be released in 7th (and the third in 6th).

I've got all the 6th Edition Army Books as well as all the 7th Edition ones released until now. I mainly buy them because I enjoy reading the Background, checking the Rule Updates, etc.

My only army is Orcs & Goblins though (but that may change at some point).

Asfaloth
29-05-2008, 14:53
I own all armybooks because I have armys of each race except Woodelves and Beasts of Chaos.

snyggejygge
29-05-2008, 15:02
I have all the books I regularly use myself, play against & which seems interesting (looking through my collection I only miss Tomb Kings & the new Empire book, have the old one though).

mattieice
29-05-2008, 15:05
Nope, Dwarfs was the first Army Book to be released in 7th (and the third in 6th).

i think he's trying to be facetious... or maybe not. who knows.

dinobot
29-05-2008, 16:23
Wow goes to show the variences in prices...

I mean a codex/army book here is £12, and a normal sized novel is £7 so its less than even the price of 2 let alone 3.

That works out to 24$, so not much less then what it costs here. I might've been counting tax as well, but I can't remember since the last time I bought an army book was 4 years ago.

And novels really vary in prices. A newly released hardcover might be the same price as a army book, while an old soft cover one might be a third or half the price. But generally, you are paying at least double for the army book, and if you just bought some 10$ book about warhammer you'd be getting a lot more fluff for your money.

Lordsaradain
29-05-2008, 18:07
From this edition(7th) I have the current books:
Empire, Orcs and Goblins, Chaos daemons, Vampire Counts

From the 6th Edition I have the following:
Empire, Orcs and Goblins, Hordes of Chaos, Beast of Chaos, Vampire Counts, Ogre Kingdoms, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings of Khemri