PDA

View Full Version : I want to start fantasy, please help

Spectral Dragon
29-05-2008, 05:17
Hello, I am currently a 40K player who plays necrons and is slowly building a Grey Knight army.

I want to start a fantasy army, but am having trouble deciding. Here are some of the things I am looking for:

Hero Versatility-LOTS of options be it magic or equipment or other things I don't know of just yet. This one is make or break!

Cool looking models-I really enjoy painting!

A fair selection of units.

Army versatility, can specialize, or not as needed.

Cool fluff.

Any army that matches or closely matches please inform. Currently I am eyeballing dwarfs, but am definitely open to suggestion.

Kissaholic
29-05-2008, 05:20
I know that orks and goblins have alot of heroes. and I like their models

Bobadon
29-05-2008, 05:24
Dwarfs!!! You can make your magic items (runic items) by mixing and matching. Up to 3 runes per item. You have great models, a decent amount of troops. Your troops are HARD CORE!!!! I mean HARD!. You have great war engines and great missile troops. Dwarf handgunners - +1 to hit -2 to armor saves!!!! CRAZY!!

Down side - No Cav, slow (can be fixed with some runes AND the anvil of doom), no magic.

The dwarfs are my first army when coming over from 40k a few months back. I played for 2 months then went to the ard boyz tournament and came in 4th. They are a fun army, and while people say you have to play defensive I say BS! Ive gone in and torn the throat out an army. Have the big guns support your advance and get in there. Your infantry can take a charge from knights in the front. Dont be afraid.

As an added bonus, as a 40k player you are used to painting 10 man squads. 20 man units will be a change. Dwarfs are half the size of other minis and have alot of chainmail. VERY EASY to paint and the come out GREAT. Also its not just metals you get alot of cloth for colors as well.

Spectral Dragon
29-05-2008, 05:28
Dwarfs!!! You can make your magic items (runic items) by mixing and matching. Up to 3 runes per item. You have great models, a decent amount of troops. Your troops are HARD CORE!!!! I mean HARD!. You have great war engines and great missile troops. Dwarf handgunners - +1 to hit -2 to armor saves!!!! CRAZY!!

Down side - No Cav, slow (can be fixed with some runes AND the anvil of doom), no magic.

The dwarfs are my first army when coming over from 40k a few months back. I played for 2 months then went to the ard boyz tournament and came in 4th. They are a fun army, and while people say you have to play defensive I say BS! Ive gone in and torn the throat out an army. Have the big guns support your advance and get in there. Your infantry can take a charge from knights in the front. Dont be afraid.

As an added bonus, as a 40k player you are used to painting 10 man squads. 20 man units will be a change. Dwarfs are half the size of other minis and have alot of chainmail. VERY EASY to paint and the come out GREAT. Also its not just metals you get alot of cloth for colors as well.

Yes I was scanning over the runes (so, so many!) and looking at those models. Is it just me or do gyrocoptors look awesome!

I have heard people REALLY scream "CHEESE!" when you bring the anvil of doom, is this true? I've heard tale of players walking out of tournaments without giving anything a go if they see one.

Zethal
29-05-2008, 05:43
No the anvil of doom is very balanced,
It is only a problem if you bring the special character Thorek, but don't play with special characters anyway.

If your looking to get into fantasy RIGHT NOW!!! then your best army choices are going to be the ones with 7th edition books.

Dwarves, Lots of runes, most of their unit options are viable, low versatility in army styles.

O&G, they have a 7th edition book but it is laughably weak, but if your more of a casual player then a competitive one they are a fun and very versatile army. Great mini's

Empire, a large number of options within the army are not viable, can specialize or not if needed -although you shouldn't really tailor lists-, a it of versatility in playing style.

High Elves, the majority of units are viable or amazing, lots of versatility in playing style, IMO one of the weakest line of miniatures GW has ever produced, except the White Lion chariot that thing is pretty cool.

Vampire Counts, majority of units are viable, decent versatility -mostly limited by their core restrictions-, pretty decent miniatures, cant really specialize but don't need to as they are pretty much just good against everything.

Daemons, Have not played against or as them, but from looking at the book, Fairly versatile army, lots of room for specialization, their fluff kind of got destroyed by the new book and mixing gods, mini's are really good or really bad depending on who you ask.

These are the only armies with 7th edition books out, the Wood Elves are close to a 7th edition book and you may want to take a look at them to. Otherwise your going to need to wait a bit to get a different 7th edition army, Dark Elves come out in August, and expect one army every 4 months or so after that.

Spectral Dragon
29-05-2008, 05:47
No the anvil of doom is very balanced,
It is only a problem if you bring the special character Thorek, but don't play with special characters anyway.

If your looking to get into fantasy RIGHT NOW!!! then your best army choices are going to be the ones with 7th edition books.

Dwarves, Lots of runes, most of their unit options are viable, low versatility in army styles.

O&G, they have a 7th edition book but it is laughably weak, but if your more of a casual player then a competitive one they are a fun and very versatile army. Great mini's

Empire, a large number of options within the army are not viable, can specialize or not if needed -although you shouldn't really tailor lists-, a it of versatility in playing style.

High Elves, the majority of units are viable or amazing, lots of versatility in playing style, IMO one of the weakest line of miniatures GW has ever produced, except the White Lion chariot that thing is pretty cool.

Vampire Counts, majority of units are viable, decent versatility -mostly limited by their core restrictions-, pretty decent miniatures, cant really specialize but don't need to as they are pretty much just good against everything.

Daemons, Have not played against or as them, but from looking at the book, Fairly versatile army, lots of room for specialization, their fluff kind of got destroyed by the new book and mixing gods, mini's are really good or really bad depending on who you ask.

These are the only armies with 7th edition books out, the Wood Elves are close to a 7th edition book and you may want to take a look at them to. Otherwise your going to need to wait a bit to get a different 7th edition army, Dark Elves come out in August, and expect one army every 4 months or so after that.

Thank you for this wonderfull info!

You misunderstood what I asked about the anvil of doom ;) I looked at it and realize it's balanced, what I was asking is if people act as if it isn't. This is how people treat my necron army even though necrons are notoriously unable to win tourneys.

DigbyWeapon
29-05-2008, 07:01
High Elves are pretty cool

Badbones777
29-05-2008, 17:35
Hello, I am currently a 40K player who plays necrons and is slowly building a Grey Knight army.

I want to start a fantasy army, but am having trouble deciding. Here are some of the things I am looking for:

Hero Versatility-LOTS of options be it magic or equipment or other things I don't know of just yet. This one is make or break!

Cool looking models-I really enjoy painting!

A fair selection of units.

Army versatility, can specialize, or not as needed.

Cool fluff.

Any army that matches or closely matches please inform. Currently I am eyeballing dwarfs, but am definitely open to suggestion.

Well without meaning to come off as obtuse, in regard to whether or not the models look good and whether you like the fluff, only you can decide that as they are both highly personal. ;)
In terms of being able to customise your heroes, I would say that some of the things Ive seen in the Bretonnian, Wood elf and Ogre Lists seem to allow you to tailor your characters with abilities, the Empire has to get a mention, not so much in terms of customising, but simpy 'cos theres so many TYPES of character, that you really can pick one to suit your style.

If its the actual tinkering with magic items to make effective and rewarding combos that you find interesting, then as a Tomb Kings player I can assure you that you will be able (in fact you kind of HAVE) to do that with them. Dwarves also score big on this count, having total customsation in the realm of magic weapons and items.
I guess a lot of it will come down to whether you want armies that (in terms of flavour) are similar or a move away from that of your 40k forces. Necrons share some traits with undead (being difficult to kill/longevity etc) for example. Of course Chaos, especially in fantasy, offers probably the best all round choice in terms of the criteria you have specified-you have a choice of 3 armies, you can model to your hearts content, they do have pretty grim, doom laden fluff (which being a necron player I assume your into ;)) and what with chaos gifts, the plethora of items and so on, your literally spoiled for choice with what to make your characters into.

Spectral Dragon
31-05-2008, 06:48
Well without meaning to come off as obtuse, in regard to whether or not the models look good and whether you like the fluff, only you can decide that as they are both highly personal. ;)
In terms of being able to customise your heroes, I would say that some of the things Ive seen in the Bretonnian, Wood elf and Ogre Lists seem to allow you to tailor your characters with abilities, the Empire has to get a mention, not so much in terms of customising, but simpy 'cos theres so many TYPES of character, that you really can pick one to suit your style.

If its the actual tinkering with magic items to make effective and rewarding combos that you find interesting, then as a Tomb Kings player I can assure you that you will be able (in fact you kind of HAVE) to do that with them. Dwarves also score big on this count, having total customsation in the realm of magic weapons and items.
I guess a lot of it will come down to whether you want armies that (in terms of flavour) are similar or a move away from that of your 40k forces. Necrons share some traits with undead (being difficult to kill/longevity etc) for example. Of course Chaos, especially in fantasy, offers probably the best all round choice in terms of the criteria you have specified-you have a choice of 3 armies, you can model to your hearts content, they do have pretty grim, doom laden fluff (which being a necron player I assume your into ) and what with chaos gifts, the plethora of items and so on, your literally spoiled for choice with what to make your characters into.

As a necron player, I personally find the necrons pretty nuetral in terms of grimnness save flayed ones.....but thats for another topic ;)

More than one person has suggested both Tomb Kings and Daemons to me, I suppose I really am trying to not go with Daemons because that would want me to start a 40K Daemon army and I don't have the time or the money for that.....and it would be weird playing both Daemons and Daemonhunters :cheese:

As for Tomb Kings, I might check out the codex and see ;) As I said I am currently eyeballing dwarfs.

Vandur Last
01-06-2008, 00:58
Based off your original post id have to reccommend Empire.
While its true that Dwarfs have total customizability (sp?) in the Magic Items/Weapons area they lack the versatility you asked for in other areas.
With no cavalry or regular wizards in the list, there are two huge factors in which Dwarfs cannot be considered versatile.

My only hesitation in saying Empire 100% is that you as a Grey Knights and , especially, Necron player you may be accustomed to a certain level of OMGWTF over the top bad-a$$ery from your Characters. No Lord in the Empire list is going to dominate melee like a C'tan, bear that in mind.

PS for crazy uber-characters you may need to look at Vampire Counts

Condottiere
01-06-2008, 02:48
I'd like to recommend Dogs of War, but first I have to know if you have any masochistic tendencies.:D

sabre4190
01-06-2008, 05:00
When I hear hero versatiliy, I think vampire counts. Strong characters that can be turned into CC monsters, unstoppable spell casters or a mix of both. Lots of options in that department. Dwarfs can customize alot, but no matter what they are going to fulfill a similar role. Other races may have alot of options, but I dont think of an army that can customize its characters quite as much and have such a huge allowment for upgrades.

Iron Father
01-06-2008, 05:16
I vote Lizardmen. Cool lizard characters, dino models, and a good balanced army. PLus, its rumored we get a new army book Q1 09.

Spectral Dragon
01-06-2008, 05:29
Two people saying vampires huh? I have a love/hate thing with those models, but will check them out :)

EDIT: I just took a look at the runes of Dwarfs...holy cow! will check out Tomb Kings next then Vampire counts.

Emeraldw
01-06-2008, 06:53
Two people saying vampires huh? I have a love/hate thing with those models, but will check them out :)

EDIT: I just took a look at the runes of Dwarfs...holy cow! will check out Tomb Kings next then Vampire counts.

Heroes: Any army has pretty good selection. I mean really, you can deck out heroes in almost any army. Vampire counts are probably the most versatile in this area but I can trick out a monstrous hero in almost any army.

Models: Subjective, I like a lot of the mini's for every army. I think you can make even the most boring army, amazing with some thought and time.

Never get into an army based on what version it is right now. I got wood elves and thankfully it is more or less 7th Ed but still I would have played them before as I like gorilla tactics and movement.

Now if you want options, Empire and O&G are said to be the most versatile but just about any army can be made to suit your desires. However if this is important, go Empire. Empire is the most versatile and can specialize in any area rather well. Combat, Knights, Shooting (especially shooting) and even magic can all be done rather well (shooting is exceptional). Empire has great core troops due to detachment rules and cannons. O&G's are not nearly as shooty but are good in CC generally.

Fluff is up to each person, personally I think all the books have amazing fluff, daemons are especially good.

Mainly, ask yourself HOW you like to play. Why do you like necrons and Grey knights is my big question.

Panzerkanzler
01-06-2008, 08:42
I got wood elves and thankfully it is more or less 7th Ed but still I would have played them before as I like gorilla tactics and movement.

Intriguing. Is that some wierd eastern combat style like "mighty dragon donkeypunches eternal wyrm of the endless sky" thing? Well, you do it any way you want but no monkey business, ok? :D

(I know...)

Emeraldw
01-06-2008, 16:02
Intriguing. Is that some wierd eastern combat style like "mighty dragon donkeypunches eternal wyrm of the endless sky" thing? Well, you do it any way you want but no monkey business, ok? :D

(I know...)

Bad Panzer! I couldn't spell the other version and my spell checker changed it to that one. /shrug, you get the idea

wolfenstein
01-06-2008, 19:11
*Dwarfs!!!* by bobadon

said it in a word.

isidril93
01-06-2008, 20:22
high elves have really lots of magic items, good fluff and some minies are amazing but non-high elf players just cant appreciate them (but just look at the chariot and the dragon!)

pkain762
01-06-2008, 22:29
yes high elves are cool and have cool rules and models... but you want CC? do you want a core unit that can pack a punch to special and rare units? do you want magic that is unique? want a challenging army? go Ogre Kingdom...... even if you lose, you still have fun killing things and using their fun rules.... plus a lot of the models are amazing

kain

roflcopter 9000
06-06-2008, 06:52
I would say Hordes of Chaos because of all the heroes and stuff but they dont exist anymore and the new WoC stuff doesn't come until november

jhon
06-06-2008, 07:33
if you want colorful fuff dogs of war is your choice , if you want a power housing army vampire court will be the best . if you want a horde army try skaven .

Scallat
06-06-2008, 13:21
If hero versatility is what your after you can't get better than vampire counts. 100points of magic items AND 100 points of vampire powers. WIN.

Feefait
06-06-2008, 14:17
Boy if only there were a prominent sticky thread about picking new armies.. ya know with a detailed list of all pros and cons and strategies for each army! can't someone get on this? Or how about just a random army generator. ask a couple questions do you like powerful heros? do you like winning? do you like cool models? and it would generate ana rmy for you so you didn't actually have to read the books or threads. Of course it would always say Vampire Counts... lol
But seriously, a lot of what you ask for are personal choice. Cool models? Some people love Ogres (me), others think they are goofy. Who knows whats cool but you? Look at the GW site, or the painting forums here. Check out your local store. REad the army books to decide on fluff yourself. If you get an army that you are iffy on just because of a some nameless recommendations you may regret it and not stick with the game.
Also, try to get some hands on with the armies via play testing or borrowing armies at your local store before jumping in. I got skaven as a default and could have cared less about them. Once i started playing I loved them though and now they are my number 1 army for something like 13 years.

Elkantaar
06-06-2008, 14:34
Well...i'll state right off i'm a Dark Elf player...so now that bias is out of the way;)

Might be a good idea to see if you enjoy either 'good', 'neutral' or 'bad' armies the best. It's a bit mroe clear cut in WHFB than it is in 40K in my opinion. That should get you a feel for what rings your bells (no point choosing High Elves for instance if you really revell in being the most conniving, vindictive, backstabbing, etc person in your gaming group. Similarly Chaos is not going to be good if you really like shining goodness. That said you have Necrons & Grey Knights...which makes me think you like a bit of both.

If i were to start again, i'd be influenced by the fluff to be honest, more than game mechanics, because as others on this thread have said, most armies can cover the requirements you mentioned in some way shape or form. You mentioned Dwarves as one you looked into....perhaps think how you'd do a small army from a fluff point of view. if it's easy to come up with, then you'd probably never be dissappointed with your choice.

I will say though that WHFB is a diffrerent game to 40k (obviously) with diffrent challanges and opportunities, but it's still great fun so good luck with whatever you choose.