PDA

View Full Version : 'Ardboyz Semifinal Scenarios

Esco Thomson
29-05-2008, 12:43
'Ardboyz Semifinals Scenarios (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1620002_semifinals_scenarios.pdf)

They are up, apologies if this is up somewhere already.

xragg
29-05-2008, 13:34
"Each player presents their opponent with a lucky token. This can be a spare model, a die or any suitable item. This item now resides with their general and allows them (and only the general) to reroll any attack roll, wound roll, failed save, or leadership check.

The item can be captured in the same manner as a banner. If the item is captured it will affect the entire unit that captured it. Each token is worth 500 victory points"

1. How many rerolls does this give?? One would assume one reroll, but it never really limits it to one.

2. How exactly does the lucky token "affect" the unit that captures it?? I would assume it is treated just like a captured banner entirely, but then why add that second sentence.

Seriously, do people working for GW ever have other people proof read their material. I briefly read through these and these two things popped out for me. Unless, of course, I totally missed something and hopefully a future post will show me what I may have overlooked.

Esco Thomson
29-05-2008, 13:39
Nope you didn't overlook a thing, and in fact that was the exact question that popped into my head. Very vague wording once again...

Kirika
29-05-2008, 15:40
Turn 3 reinforcements sounds not so hot because I haven't finished more then 4 turns in the ard boys qualifier so lose the use of 2 units for half the game is not cool kinda reminds me of escalation in 40k which I hate.

The luck token seems really vague also as it does not specify the number or nature of rerolls. Do they get to reroll every attack, wound, failed save or failed leadership roll? I always thought it was assumed you get one reroll per die roll period.

I think the unit that captures the luck token gets the reroll effect. But I could be wrong on that. Its vague :(.

ZeroTwentythree
29-05-2008, 15:53
Turn 3 reinforcements sounds not so hot because I haven't finished more then 4 turns in the ard boys qualifier so lose the use of 2 units for half the game is not cool kinda reminds me of escalation in 40k which I hate.

Hahaha. Good thing I have 2 units of 2 poisoned wind globadiers. Nothing quite like 40 points sitting off table.

Actually, all of my games went pretty far, so I can see the potential use of some late/mid-game flankers. Especially if your opponent is also not playing with all his points.

EDIT: Regarding the lucky token...

The way I am reading it is that the general gets to reroll those die rolls as long as they have the token. It also seems to imply that this affect is passed on to the entire unit that captures it, in addition to the 500VP.

perrin23860
29-05-2008, 19:14
just wondering in the second scenario if the ghost's attacks are magical...

in my mind i see some spirit hosts and wraiths going straight into the forest and cracking open some brews to party with their buddies.

ZeroTwentythree
29-05-2008, 19:56
One would think they should be magical, but since it doesn't say they are, I would assume they don't count as such (RAW).

valdrog
29-05-2008, 21:04
GW must have fantasy, this scenarios are nowhere near as fun or creative as the ones they had for the 40k Ard'boys semifinals.

Question: what happenes when 2 spirit hosts fight each other ?

pcgamer72
29-05-2008, 21:17
Question: what happenes when 2 spirit hosts fight each other ?

Well, I believe they have magical attacks, so they could harm each other.

IronBrother
30-05-2008, 04:27
Not really excited about the haunted terrain piece, just means I have to avoid the center of the table for that game. No big deal. It does bother me that people can start with 40 points off the table, but I have to start with over 300 off the table. I'm just glad I saw these before I got there though.

ZeroTwentythree
30-05-2008, 13:58
Not really excited about the haunted terrain piece, just means I have to avoid the center of the table for that game. No big deal. It does bother me that people can start with 40 points off the table, but I have to start with over 300 off the table. I'm just glad I saw these before I got there though.

Yeah... nothing helps a 3500 point game get played in the 3 hour time limit like encouraging everyone avoid a giant chunk of the center of the table. :rolleyes:

As far as starting off the table, assuming you're taking either undead or daemons, you may also be able to enjoy the benefit of having a couple of big units get across the board and enter on a flank without having to suck up missile casualties. I think the flanking thing is very situational and could be a good or a bad thing, depending on both armies and their tactics.

TheNewOracle
30-05-2008, 17:55
EDIT: Regarding the lucky token...

The way I am reading it is that the general gets to reroll those die rolls as long as they have the token. It also seems to imply that this affect is passed on to the entire unit that captures it, in addition to the 500VP.

Agreed, the General gets to re-roll any/all of those dice rolls.

If the enemy captures the token, the unit in control of it gets to re-roll any/all of those dice.

The token is very powerful, use / protect it accordingly!

BussRaker
30-05-2008, 22:36
I am really looking forward to this. Though it seems one of the missions was almost made to screw with the undead armies that did so well in the first round. Overall it will be a blast and good luck to y'all

jpf1982
31-05-2008, 02:48
Yeah agreed about the 40K thing. These scenario's sound both badly worded and in much need of some serious creative work. Agree with avoiding the middle of the table taking even longer and especially suck with losing chunks of army as I have yet to have a 3500 point game make it past turn 3 either. I've made it to turn 3 but never past; at least not in the fantasy ard boyz. These scenarios are just the suck in my opinion. *sigh* When will GW learn....