PDA

View Full Version : The nature of Fluff?

Hrw-Amen
29-05-2008, 15:32
Hello,

I have been reading/posting on this forum now for a couple of months and have noted that people keep using the term 'Fluff.'

What actually is 'Fluff?'

It would appear from what I have read that it is anything that people think of or generally accept as being so in the 40K universe without it nessecerily being written down or perscribed in official GW litrature or publications.

Is that a reasonably accurate assessment or have I got the wrong end of the stick all together?

Duncan.

Grey Seer Skretch
29-05-2008, 15:41
Whoo, thats a big area to cover.

Essentially, 'fluff' is a shorthand term for ALL of the narrative, background and literature behind Games Workshop wargames. I believe it originally appeared as a perjorative term to suggest that the background was of secondary importance, just the 'fluffy' bits around the hard core of rules etc, but its been adopted as the general term of reference when talking about the storyline, background, narrative, literature etc that gives the hobby its flavour and interest. Fluff = Yay. :D

Triggerdog
29-05-2008, 15:42
Hello,

I have been reading/posting on this forum now for a couple of months and have noted that people keep using the term 'Fluff.'

What actually is 'Fluff?'

It would appear from what I have read that it is anything that people think of or generally accept as being so in the 40K universe without it nessecerily being written down or perscribed in official GW litrature or publications.

Is that a reasonably accurate assessment or have I got the wrong end of the stick all together?

Duncan.

You have the right end of the stick. The term fluff can also be applied to GW sanctioned background as well though

Brother Loki
29-05-2008, 16:11
It's not just a GW term, it's a general game design term originating in RPGs. Games have 'fluff' and 'crunch'; the former being the setting, background story etc, and the latter being the rules, mechanics, statistics etc.

ankara halla
29-05-2008, 16:20
I've only ever used the term fluff to describe official canon and have allways understood that's what the term is meant to describe.