PDA

View Full Version : What should I know getting into LOTR?

WillFightForFood
29-05-2008, 23:51
Hello all. I'm a long time player of WFB and many other game systems and I, along with a buddy, am planning to get into LOTR. I've ordered a Mines of Moria Set, looked over about every unit, and tried to learn as much from every forum on the web as possible.

That said, I'm still not sure about a lot of things. What is a standard type of army? What makes an army good, what makes an army bad? I was looking at getting a Dol Goldur army, probably lead by a Nazgul and a couple of Castellans, along with some spiders and orcs, is this a bad idea? Are there any pitfalls to avoid? What advice would you give to a newbie?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Death Korp
30-05-2008, 01:01
Hello WillFightForFood :)

You've seen the light and have joined the best (IMHO) game GW have ever produced.

To answer your questions:

*What is a standard type of army?: TBH, there is such a large mix of armies about, there is no 'standard' army! Alot of people (like me) make a 'standard' army out of a theme from the book, like the Rangers of ithilien with Faramir and Damrod at the forefront.

*What makes an army good, what makes an army bad?: Depends on what army you play, if you're looking at Cirith Ungol, i'd recommend for 500pts (standard game size):

(If you are planning points amtchs, i'd really recommend you getting Legions of middle Earth, its essential for army list building)

*Nazgul (with 2 might, 3 extra will and 2 fate)
*Castellan w/ Morgul Blade
*Orc Captain w/ shield
*23 Orc Warriors (8 w/ shield, 8 w/ spear, 4 w/ bow and 3 w/ 2 Handed Weapons)
*1 Orc w/ Banner
*3 Giant Spiders
*6 Wild Wargs

496pts

This gives you an army full of the things you said you liked. Its full of wild creatures, has plenty of numbers, a Hero killer (Castellan) and a Magic Caster (Ringwraith).

I'll tell you a nasty combo when you know the rules better. Get your Ringwraith to 'transfix' (a spell) to make a enemy hero stay still and reduce his (or hers) Fight Value to 1. Then, get the Castellean with the Morgul Blade to K.O the enemy hero.

Money wise, this army will cost you from GW:

*Ringwraith Ft and Mtd: 12
*Castalleans (2 models) 8
*Mordor Command (Captain and Banner Bearer): 7
*Mordor Orcs Box (24 Models): 15
*Warg Riders (6 models, including riders): 12
*2x Giant Spiders (4 models): 14

Total 68, for that, you might as well buy the host of Cirith ungol Battlehost set for 50 and add your own bits to it, as everything (i think) can be used or allied to a Dol Guldur Force.

Hope you have fun playing :)

DK

eyeolas
30-05-2008, 11:03
ya, that covers a few of your questions.

If you get a chance too look over the legions of middle earth book anywhere, it gives you the lists of what can be taken in each army. The majority of them are now prety standard, and there aren't many that are 'rare' to find (except a wholey monsters, nazgul and hobbit armies, but the first two are supposed to be added to evil armies as boosters, and the third is entirely metal and each model is around 4 points (so is a hoard army made of metal))

First off, evil will usually try to outnumber good. Their basic troops are usually cheeper because of a drop in courage, and usually have worse armour, so you should probably try as a beginner to get a fair few models on the board.

The limit for number of models an army can have is 50 for 500 pts. For orcs, I'd recommend trying to get at least a box set (24) of orcs on the table asa block of basic troops, along with some (5-6 is standard) cavalry (so wild wargs, riden wargs, spiders, andything that can move fast will help). Along with them you usually want a banner, which'll get you winning fights. I prefer to keep them on foot, but if you develop a mainly cavalry army then obviously they should follow suit

So once you have your basic 30 troops you'll then need a good store of might, which will help you chose your fights, get your cavalry the charge and can boost a bunch of rolls the hero makes to get your side an advantage. This can be nazgul, captains, named people like Grishnak and Shelob, or indeed castellans. The list above has a prety good spread, with 3 characters, but not digging too deep into the points limit to get them (you want an army to go with your expensive few characters).

With any spare points after you've gotten a solid army you can lighten up and blow out on a few points on some big, hard hitters. Trolls are prety common, and in much larger games (700+) some monsters will appear. You usually want one 'big combat monster' which can be a troll, monster, or even (for good guys mainly) expensive characters. They'll attract all the fire so your orcs will reach combat, and usually will still be there to rip the good guys appart, and they make the opponent sweat as well :D. The list above is a little more basic than that and has just taken a few more cavalry, and probably a character more than most armies (but that's taste) instead.

From there you can spread massively, since Cirith Ungol can ally with a ton of armies, and have a wide spread themselves

Hope this helps

Tarliyn
01-06-2008, 03:45
I am in the same boat as the op. Been playing fantasy for a while now and have recently had some interest in lotr. I order moria and am just waiting for it to come in. I was thinking of making a ranger army or a dwarf army. Are things like this practical?

It sounds like this legion book would be a good one to pick up as well. Is it a must have? Should I have my store order it for me now so it i will show up a few days after moria?

Also I know in warhammer some things are considered cheesy and such...do things like this exist in lotr and if they do what are they?

Thanks for the info

eyeolas
01-06-2008, 15:34
there is only one I can think of which is Gamling with banner on horse with the rohan outriders (I think that was their name) who are all really cheep heros.

Gamblings banner gives heros without any might left a free poin of it if they are near him a the start of the turn, so an entire army of cheep heros...

there's also stuff like the balrog who are just indestructable and make games really slow and boring, and a 700 pt army of 2 dragons is also prety harsh (but not as much so, since they can run off after taking a wound each)

fracas
01-06-2008, 17:57
starter sets are available for US $90 and will get you about 500 pts
add a character or two and you have a starter army for cheap

starter sets are available for rohan, gondor, isengard, mordor, easterlings, and dwarves

Royal Tiger
01-06-2008, 22:14
one thing I shall say for people starting out on LotR, don't be afraid to paint your models how you want, for example I have gold armoured gondorians with red/blue/green cloth (red-swordsmen, blue=spearmen, green=bowmen), it gets a few raised eyebrows from "Puritans" but screw them

SirSnipes
01-06-2008, 22:42
go goblins i still have never lost a gamewith my 1000pt army

balrog 500pts, 20 archers, 100pts, 40 spears 200pts, 40 shields
sit 10 gobs in front of the balrog so they cant shoot him down get him into combat and then just swarm from there

Raka
02-06-2008, 01:54
go goblins i still have never lost a gamewith my 1000pt army

balrog 500pts, 20 archers, 100pts, 40 spears 200pts, 40 shields
sit 10 gobs in front of the balrog so they cant shoot him down get him into combat and then just swarm from there

That doesnt sound fun or characterful, and i think you've missed the OP's point.

WillFightForFood
02-06-2008, 04:23
Thanks for the help and advice guys. I saw what is coming out for Mordor in the WD and I might switch my plans a bit and go for some black numenorians. I really like the look of the army.

I have some more questions based off of what you all said.

What is a standard army in terms of composition? How many heroes, how much infantry, how much archery?

How costly is too costly for a character? Are there certain heroes that are just too powerful for a 600 point game?

How much might should I have? I have read that it's good to have 1 might point per 100 points. If I brought Aragorn (1 free per turn) or Boromir (6 might) is that enough or should I bring other heroes?

In terms of things like in-game terrain, how much is enough? In a lot of games I find that the rulebook's advice on terrain is usually not enough or too much.

Huw_Dawson
02-06-2008, 10:05
I noticed that somebody mentioned Battlehosts - the UK site only has the Gondor set - where could I find the contents of the others and places to buy them?

- Huw

Dinadan
03-06-2008, 12:10
What is a standard army in terms of composition? How many heroes, how much infantry, how much archery? That's pretty much up to you. You can go all hero, all cavalry or all infantry, it's your choice. One thing to bare in mind is if you're playing LoMe games, then unless you use the Grey Company, you can only have a maximum of 33% of Warriors armed with bows/crossbows

How costly is too costly for a character? Are there certain heroes that are just too powerful for a 600 point game?I can't think of any really. The thing is if you go for expensive heroes, you'll end up with a small army, and can easily get outnumbered. Even Aragorn or Boromir will fall if surrounded and continually forced into combat on their opponant's terms. Unlike in say WH, there are no heroes that will just stroll up to a combat, kill lots of troops and then stroll off to kill more. At most, combat centre heroes like Aragorn and Boromir can potentially kill 8 enemies, but only if very lucky, and will probably only get 2-3 kills a turn on average.

How much might should I have? I have read that it's good to have 1 might point per 100 points. If I brought Aragorn (1 free per turn) or Boromir (6 might) is that enough or should I bring other heroes?Depends on the game size. At 250pts, then that should be enough, but at 500pts or more, you'll need more heroes, not for the Might, but simply to keep the army together. If Aragorn/Boromir can be isolated/killed, then when you reach brake point, you'll be testing on your Warriors' normal Courage, and won't benefit from Stand Fast! Also, the benefit of having several heroes from a Might perspective is that your Might is now spread out, so you can call heroic actions where they're needed, rather than just have a small section benfiting from them or having your hero running back and fore between parts of your battle line to call them.

In terms of things like in-game terrain, how much is enough? In a lot of games I find that the rulebook's advice on terrain is usually not enough or too much.As much as you want. Different amounts of terrain can make a big difference to the exact same game. Relaviely open boards will benefit archers and cavalry, while lots of woods will benefit Elves and Ents, and lots of difficult terrain and obsticles will benefit mainly infantry forces if they can find suiable defensive positions. Just agree with your opponant how much terrain is enough before each game, and set that up.

eyeolas
03-06-2008, 19:18
generally in 500, I'd go for 2 cheep heros (around 50-60pts each for evil). this'll bring in around 4 might, which should be enough, but for 600+ I get out some more powerfull heros, or another cheep one. the 1 per 100 rule is pretty good to go by, but you never want less than 2 heros holding them (in a balanced list, obviously there are exceptions) for the above reason.

Too expensive? you probably don't want to spend over 1/6th of your army on a single character as a very rough guide for a normal and balanced list, but pleanty of people will do more than that (the balrog and dragons are common examples)

archery. For elves, 33.33% on the nose is enough archery, but for orcs, 0% is usually enough. It varies compleatly on the list (for mordor I'd stay away from it though, it uses up points that could be used to outnumber the opponent in combats)

fracas
05-06-2008, 12:37
I noticed that somebody mentioned Battlehosts - the UK site only has the Gondor set - where could I find the contents of the others and places to buy them?

- Huw

my store has more box sets than what is listed on the US webstore

also regarding composition of army
only up to 33% of the models can be missile
minimum of 3 models for 500 pts

lotrchampion
05-06-2008, 23:20
For an army list that is not overpowered but can still be competitive, I would recommend starting with a 500pts list. This is kind of the standard size for friendly games, and some tournaments (although not the GT etc), so it is a great place to start.

To create an army, I tend to look along the following lines:

Firstly, theme. I often have a theme in mind for all my armies, even the Tournament ones. For example, my GT forces for this year are both themed around the Fall of Nargothrond from the Children of Hurin. Some more standard themes are the Defence of Erebor, the Muster of Rohan, the Legions of Isengard, the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, etc. Once you have a theme, settled on, you can look at the army itself.

The Legions of Middle-earth book is now the standard army list book, although the more up to date sourcebooks e.g. Harad, Mordor have the army lists published in them. Have a look at which army list best suits your theme, and make sure you can build it within these limits, including any allies you wish to include. For example, a Battle of the Pelennor Fields army may contain a Riders of Rohan contingent and a Gondor infantry contingent. For this I would look at the 'Theoden's Host' and 'Tower of Ecthelion' lists, and I can see they meet my criteria perfectly, and can ally. Now lets start building an army!

So, we have a theme, a list from which to write our army, and now we get down to choices. Firstly, I must take a minimum of 1 hero for each of my contingents. I would recommend taking maximum of 1-2 Captain level models and 1 mid-level Character at 500pts, or possibly 1 Captain and 1 high level character. This gives you a good source of Might points for you to steer the battle with where necessary and the obvious fighting prowess of that hero, but also leaves you with enough points left for a decent sized force. So, continuing the Pelennor Fields example, I have decided that the Rohan force needs a suitably epic hero to lead it-Eomer. To lead the Tower of Ecthelion, I think a lower end hero would serve nicely, in this case Beregond. Beregond is one of those rare heroes who, although not great, are a really cheap choice which leave you plenty of points for the rest of the contingent.

So, at this point, we have the following in our army:

-Eomer w/ Horse, Shield, Throwing Spears
-Beregond

Our contingent leaders sorted. Now to look to develop the main forces.

A good balanced force tends to have points split between Basic Infantry, Elites, Ranged Warriors and Cavalry. The Rohan and Gondor lists are extremely versatile, allowing a nice muster between them. The Rohirrim are the obvious choice for cavalry, and although no longer the most competitive in the game, they can still pack a damn good punch. Lets take some models straight out of the box-2 with Throwing Spears, 2 with Bow, 2 with Hand Weapon. That's a nice round cavalry contingent thats works nicely on the charge. Next up, infantry, where Gondor excel. Again, straight out of the box, 8 Warriors of Minas Tirith with Shield, another 8 with Spear and Shield.

Now, the Elites. Beregond, as a member of the Citadel Guard, carries a Longbow, extremely deadly firepower, so lets put some more in there! 8 Citadel Guard with bows maxes out our bow limit for this force giving us a lovely load of firepower.

And to round the force off, somethign a little different. Gondor boasts some fantastic siege weaponry of great use on the battlefield, one of the best being the Avenger Bolt Thrower. One of these babies can spit out up to 6 shots at Str7 every turn! Give them, an extra crewmen for insurance, and the army comes to 495 points, a beautiful 500pts list. 36 models, a decent amount of the maximum of 50, with 11 shots per turn as well as the Avenger Bolt Thrower. Sweet!

Now, this is of course a pure example army list, but it runs you through the basics of selecting a LotR army. Try to include a variety of troops to suit different roles on the battlefield while retaining a reasonably high model count for most armies, although for some this will be harder than others. Be sparing with heroes unless you want a dedicated Hero list (not recommended for inexperienced players). The most I would spend on heroes at 500pts is probably around 150-200pts, and thats in an Evil list with cheap warriors. In the case of the OP, 1 Ringwraith tooled up with some M/W/F and perhaps a Spider Queen would be easily sufficient. Castellans are not really to my liking, but they can be made to work well out of sheer survivability. Orcs are cheap and dirt, even if they're not the best, so work well in numbers. Giant Spiders can be iffy but with a Spider Queen they can be nasty. So, based on what you say you want for your army, this is what I would suggest:

Ringwraith: +2M/+5W/+2F
The Spider Queen
2 Castellans
11 Orcs w/ Shield
11 Orcs w/ Spear
11 Orcs w/ Orc Bow

36 models, a hell of a lot of heroes (more than I would normally use) but SQs used well are devestating. If you can keep the SQ in cover as it advances it should be safe from bowfire, and when in combat it is nigh unstoppable. Allow the SQ o hold up enemy lines and bowfire until the main Orc Horde arrives. Try and get the Castellans into combat with enemy heroes, using the Nazgul to transfix and compel where necessary. Morgul Blades aren't really needed for the Castellans if you can trap the enemy hero, simply crush them into the ground.

To all the people starting LotR, good luck, and I hope you enjoy it! It is certainly for me the best GW system, and has given me the most joy over my years of gaming. It is one of the few games that can still be played at a competitive level without powergaming or 'cheesy' lists and simply good gameplay, and thats something that makes it all the more enjoyable for me. I hope the tips on army construction help a bit, and enjoy your games! :)

WillFightForFood
06-06-2008, 00:02
Thanks for all the help everyone. I finally got my the mines of Moria set and had a chance to read through everything. I'm very impressed with the clarity and the concise nature of the rules. They are simple to understand but definitely have some depth to the potential tactics involved. I am especially impressed with how the rules deal with terrain - It is a useful element of the game rather than something to be avoided. The system is a welcome departure from the other GW systems.

Now that I have the rules and have read them over I have a few more questions:

How do you beat some of the more legendary characters, like Gil Galad, or Treebeard? It seems like with their high "Fight" they can guarantee through a combination of multiple attacks and might points several very devastating wins against most armies.

How do you protect a ringwraith? It seems like one errant shot will knock them out.

I've already figured out my army (essentially what lotrchampion has listed at the bottom of his post), and have the rulebook, so what books and such should I buy next? The new supplements? Sourcebooks? Legions?

Royal Tiger
06-06-2008, 00:08
taking out characters is best left to things like Trolls, and combining it with immobilize from the wraith, that usually results in heroes going squish.

protecting the wraith is basically a matter of keeping him behind things, but in such a way he can easily come forward when needed for whatever he needs to do

Dinadan
06-06-2008, 10:31
"The mightiest man may be slain by one arrow, and Boromir was pierced by many." - Pippen, RotK
A high Fight value isn't everything in LotR. Unlike WH or 40k where high WS can stop you from being hit by all but high level WS and lets you hit almost everything easily, in LotR F is only useful if you draw combat. Further remember that LotR isn't about pitched battles, it's about scenarios (even in Tournaments). Often, killing the enemy isn't a required objective, so you can easily drip feed orcs/goblins to heroes like Gil-Galad, Treebeard and Aragorn to slow them down and keep them away from the crucial parts of the battle.

As for the Wraiths, their high defence should keep them safe from bow fire (you shouldn't reley on this completely though). As Royal Tiger says, you should keep them behind your troops, but in a position where they can help. If you mount them on a horse, then yoiu can stick them in the middle, so that the cavalry screen them, but they are able to cast magic as needed. Also, with the four new Wraiths coming out, each one will have a different tactic (e.g. the Tainted will be very good put on a Fell Beast and flown behind the enemy line to disrupt them and wear them down with his two special rules).

Etienne de Beaugard
06-06-2008, 11:34
A high Fight value isn't everything in LotR. Unlike WH or 40k where high WS can stop you from being hit by all but high level WS and lets you hit almost everything easily, in LotR F is only useful if you draw combat.

Actually, the to hit probabilities in LotR aren't that far off the probabilities from the classic GW chart.

In any given LotR attack where one combatant has a higher F than the other, there are 36 possible 2-dice permutations. 6 of those are ties. Ultimately the higher F combatant has a 21/36 chance to hit v.s 15/36 for the lower fight combatant. In comparison, the classic GW to-hit table has the more skilled combatant with a 24/36 chance to hit and the less skilled combatant with either a 18/36 or 12/36 chance to hit, depending on the difference in skill levels. The big difference is that in LotR someone gets hit, where classic GW games could have both combatants miss.

WillFightForFood
06-06-2008, 21:18
Right, but it seems that a lot of fights will end up in ties, given sufficient support from Spears/Pikes. Or am I wrong about that?

As far as mounts goes, for some of the noncombat characters (Gandalf, for instance) is the mount little more than another layer of ablative armor? Or is it better to try to keep that person hidden in the woods?

I noticed that the rulebook states you can use a point of might to decrease the result of a die roll. When might you want to do this? The only time I could see this being useful is if you wanted to prevent a model from being killed so you could trap a model in a different combat. Are there any other times you want to decrease a roll?

Also, could someone answer my last question on the last post, "What books and such should I buy next? The new Mordor? Sourcebooks? Legions?"

Joewrightgm
06-06-2008, 22:11
More often as not, with combats involving spears and pikes, you'll have a better chance of beating them and trapping them if you are positioned correctly, making killing certain models a guarentee.

Mounts make non-combat characters more able to stand in combat, but only if they get the charge. Often times against shooting, yes they can end up as ablative armor for them, and a danger if you roll poorly on the Thrown Rider Chart.

Use a point of might to decrease a score? Hmmm . . . for example, if your playing the break out style mission, if your highest point character fails his courage he counts have left the battle, giving evil the win. So you could adjust his courage down.

Dinadan
06-06-2008, 22:40
Actually Joewrightgm, in LotR, you'd need to adjust it up to keep him there, as unlike WH and 40k where you have to roll under the Ld, in LotR, the total score of your Courage and the result of the 2D6 you roll must equal or be higher than 10.

Decreasing a score could be useful if you wanted to avoid killing an oponant, e.g. say the scenario ends when one side is broken and you have less objectives captured than your opponant, then you may want to avoid killing enemy models to prevent them dropping to brake point and thus winning the scenario.

As for what books to get Will, after the rulebook get LoMe. Decide what army you want to play with, and get the relevant book for that.

lotrchampion
06-06-2008, 23:38
If you are going for the Dol Guldor force, I would, in addition to what Dinadan recommends, pick up a copy of Fall of the Necromancer. This contains all rules for Castellans, Spider Queens, Bat Swarms, Giant Spiders and the like. Also not a bad supplement in itself.

As for use of spears, obviously rolling more dice inc ombat increases your chances of winning, always good especially against Cavalry and the like. What is worth remembering is that a model with a spear backing up a model does not count as in combat, and does not strike blows as such. Instead, the model being supported simply gains an extra attack, at his own statistics i.e. FV and Str. This means that although supporting spearmen can be picked off by bowfire without risking hitting combatants, you can for example support a Str4 uruk with a Str3 Orc w/ Spear to get 2 Str4 attacks. Not bad eh?

Joewrightgm
08-06-2008, 04:21
Actually Joewrightgm, in LotR, you'd need to adjust it up to keep him there, as unlike WH and 40K where you have to roll under the Ld, in LotR, the total score of your Courage and the result of the 2D6 you roll must equal or be higher than 10

D'oh. My bad. You can tell how much I actually play LoTR . . .:angel:

Gaebriel
08-06-2008, 09:34
Do you need a 'named' hero to lead your force, or can you get away with, say, choosing a couple more captain-level heroes - or are there profiles for 'generic' higher level heroes?

I ask because I wouldn't neccessarily want to have a known hero leading my force - still thinking about starting either Rangers of Ithilien or Rangers of the north.

Dinadan
08-06-2008, 11:20
No, you don't need a 'named' hero to lead your force. Any hero will do for the purpose of putting together an army.

Rangers of the North (actually Grey Company as RotN is the title of one of their generic heroes, the other being Dunedain) can easily be played without named heroes. The disadvantage is that their unanmed heroes are bellow Captain level, so can be killed easier than a Captain, but they cost about half as much so you can have two RotN/Dunedain for one Captain level hero. This also lets you spred your Might about, so you have more options for heroic actions.

bufordbugman
10-06-2008, 00:56
Hi all,

I'm the buddy with whom the OP will be starting LOTR. Like him I'm also an experienced WHF player who has become intrigued by LOTR. (I think he's fleeing the beatings his Skaven have taken in WHF; it'll be my job to ensure the beatings continue...)

Everyone's been very helpful already, but I'd like to follow up with a couple more questions.

The army I'm likely to build will be themed closely around a particular people or region, with a preference for the good guys. (All the better to confront and defeat OP's Dol Guldur rabble...) At the moment I'm tempted to build a Rohan force. How do they tend to stack up on the field of play? Like OP, I'd like to be able to build a decently competitive list while avoiding cheese-ball elements that clean everyone's clock or otherwise lead to un-fun games. Someone here said something about the Rohirrim not being the game's best cav any more but are still reasonably good. That'd be fine by me. Anyone care to elaborate? Offer specific ideas for lists? I'd probably want something pretty much like you could imagine from the original books while still being varied enough for fun. So cav heavy or perhaps all cav, led by Eomer or Theodred, maybe a wizard along to spice things up. Obviously all cav could be problematic in terrain-heavy boards. It also might be pricey and hence hard to get many models on the table. The idea appeals, though. Other thoughts? (eagles? ents?)

Of course, my ideas may change. It sounds like the Legions book is a definite must, followed by whichever sourcebooks make the most sense.

Thanks.

lorelorn
10-06-2008, 03:23
As a Rohan player, I'll reply as best I can. One of my regular opponents also has Dol Guldur as his evil army.

Rohan stack up fine against other armies. Personally I think you pay slightly over the odds for your basic riders especially since many of them can't use the bows they come with. However, the army has plenty of upsides.

1. All mounted. Knowing you'll receive an extra dice when you charge is good. The Wargs of Dol Guldur may come on cavalry bases but they don't get this bonus unless ridden by an orc.

2. Royal Guard. Armour 6, Fight 4, and the Bodyguard special rule. Taking these guys will improve your fighting abilities, and since they are warriors this will also allow you to take additional riders with bows.

3. Outriders. Cheap characters who come with bows and shoot 3+. Very useful.

4. Characters. Erkenbrand, Theodred and Eomer are good characters on any day. Erkenbrand carries horn whcih for one turn of the game makes all yuor model count and being within range of a banner. Generic captains of Rohan can be equipped up to Defence 7.

5. Throwing spears. Whether on characters, riders or royal guard, strength 3 missile weapons are very useful, and can tip things your way over the course of a game.

6. Mobility. Going back to point 1, your whole army moves 10" giving you a real advantage on the tabletop.

Allies. Theoden's Host has a long list of allies to choose from. I favour the eagles myself, since they make up for Rohan's lack of high Fight and high Strength. Ents also have this, but don't move so fast as the eagles. You can also take allies from other human realms, as well as Dwarves and Elves.

bufordbugman
10-06-2008, 03:50
Thanks very much, lorelorn. A quick followup:
What does the Expert Rider special rule do?

lorelorn
10-06-2008, 05:27
Two things; it gives the Riders the shield bonus while they use a bow - other models don't get this, and it allows you to re-roll the result on the jumping chart while mounted.

WillFightForFood
10-06-2008, 18:32
Okay, so we played our first games today and some questions came up:
1. Can a model who wins combat strike at a model assisting a fight with a spear?
2. Does a model that causes terror have to test for courage when it charges a model that causes terror?

I'm sure Buford remembers the other questions, but that's what I want to know off of the top of my head.

CasperTheGhost
10-06-2008, 19:56
1. Can a model who wins combat strike at a model assisting a fight with a spear?

Nope. Unless it is Sauron and you are using his special attack

2. Does a model that causes terror have to test for courage when it charges a model that causes terror?

Hmm I think so yes. I not that sure on this one

Casper

Dinadan
10-06-2008, 22:07
1) Supporting spearmen are not technically part of the combat, so can't be attacked by models involved in that combat (they may be shot at though)

2) Yes. Anyone who charges a terrifying model has to test, even if they are terrifying themselves.

haldirelrond
17-06-2008, 08:57
That said, I'm still not sure about a lot of things. What is a standard type of army? What makes an army good, what makes an army bad? I was looking at getting a Dol Goldur army, probably lead by a Nazgul and a couple of Castellans, along with some spiders and orcs, is this a bad idea? Are there any pitfalls to avoid? What advice would you give to a newbie?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I Think this could be a decent army becease you can balance out the the archers with the spioders and i also recommand getting the spider queen and 3 blisters of casterleans get the box with all the ringwraiths on foot and the necromancer and some spiders and orcs i know all thios cause i have the fall of the necromancer suplement and i do the wood elfs LOL

You would also need the FOTN supplement

FOTN (Fall of the necromancer)