PDA

View Full Version : Do you find +1 to Casting Rolls worth it?

Helbracht
31-05-2008, 23:51
Topic. I myself have hardly ever considered buying a 50 pt item that only increases your roll by +1, especially when you can usually get a cheaper item that gives +1 power dice. Why are these items so expensive?

Condottiere
01-06-2008, 00:03
Topic. I myself have hardly ever considered buying a 50 pt item that only increases your roll by +1, especially when you can usually get a cheaper item that gives +1 power dice. Why are these items so expensive?

Assuming you have a spell with 5+ (Fireball), with the 50-point item you can cast it on a 4+ or 50% on a single dice, compared to the normal 66.7%.

This would have proven more useful, if you could cast that spell multiple times, but if you cannot, the +1 power dice would be the better investment.

Also, for most other spells you'd have to use 2 die to have a realistic chance of casting it, and the +1 casting roll isn't that probable.

Why the +1 casting roll item is so expensive, who knows?:p

Helbracht
01-06-2008, 00:27
Assuming you have a spell with 5+ (Fireball), with the 50-point item you can cast it on a 4+ or 50% on a single dice, compared to the normal 66.7%.

This would have proven more useful, if you could cast that spell multiple times, but if you cannot, the +1 power dice would be the better investment.

Also, for most other spells you'd have to use 2 die to have a realistic chance of casting it, and the +1 casting roll isn't that probable.

Why the +1 casting roll item is so expensive, who knows?:p

But as a general rule you can't cast spells multiple times. So...yeah, +1 casting roll. Anyone?

The only time I could see it being more useful is if you're using a lv.1 wizard. He only has one spell to cast once, and only being able to use 2 pd makes +1 pd useless. But this is a ridiculous case, because if you're going to have an offensive wizard you're going to make him lv. 2.

theunwantedbeing
01-06-2008, 00:46
+1 to cast works with every spell attempt.
+1 dice works once per magic phase.

So +1 to cast is more useful overall.
Same as how the staff of sorcery being +1 to dispel is so much more expensive than a simple scroll.

Helbracht
01-06-2008, 01:08
+1 to cast works with every spell attempt.
+1 dice works once per magic phase.

So +1 to cast is more useful overall.
Same as how the staff of sorcery being +1 to dispel is so much more expensive than a simple scroll.

You'd have to be casting at least three spells that phase for +1 to be even matched for +1 pd in efficiency. Assuming you roll a 3+ on the pd.

So your saying it's more effective the more spells you cast.

Condottiere
01-06-2008, 01:19
If you could choose like a slann from a variety of Lores and pick the 5+ magic missile spells, it would be a lot more efficient than an extra power dice.

Xyon
01-06-2008, 02:02
On a level 4 wizard using lore of life/light/beasts/metal its really good. The first thee lore's have low casting value's anyways, making you able to cast/make your opponent dispell 3/4 spells using as little as 4-6 power dice. With the metal lore it helps you target characters/champions/warmachines/chariots easier, especially making spirit of the forge easier to cast against those more stubbornly armored opponents. .

This can help your other mages get their spells off, or your other mages can better drain dispell dice for your +1 to cast mage to succeed with their spells and mor of them. Or help get that bound item cast without worry.

Also, one extra dice might be better in the short run for casting one spell, but that just makes it easier to miscast too, I can recall many times when double 1 was rolled but casting value was just barely met, minus one dice and add +1 instead = cast spell without miscast. Although I suppose two 1's could have been rolled anyways. but still!

Kerill
01-06-2008, 02:24
When your opponent is fielding a black coach?

Condottiere
01-06-2008, 02:57

Considering the power dice sucking capabilities of the black coach, it may even out a little more in favour of the +1 casting item, but probably not sufficiently.:eyebrows:

kroq'gar
01-06-2008, 03:12
If you could choose like a slann from a variety of Lores and pick the 5+ magic missile spells, it would be a lot more efficient than an extra power dice.

The same free powerdice that slann generate (as wellas +1) :P

It makes your opponent think a little harder about what to dispel and let through.

EG if you cast your +1 spells first, he may opt to let some through in order to attempt dispelling your easiers spells.

It has a huge phycological effect on your opponent thats not to be underestimated.

EDIT: it also is great for casting lower lvl spells on 2 dice. You will on average roll 8, forcing your opponent to seriously think about using three dice.

Disciple of Nagash
01-06-2008, 11:13
+1 is very effective for VC in regards to IoN, being able to cast it multiple times in one magic phase means that we can reliably cast it on 1D6 rather that wasting 2D6 and chancing a miscast. That +1 can also make the difference as to to whether your opponent decides to use 1 or 2 DD, with the ability to spam IoN and draw out those dice that +1 can make a lot of difference.

Grimtuff
01-06-2008, 11:32

I think you meant Corpse Carts with Balefire...... ;)

Fraggzy
02-06-2008, 08:39
well, the +1 to cast i dont use so much, but the +1 to dispel with my HE getting +1 to dispel already gives +2 to dispel! It lets me dispell much, much easier, and spesialy 1 dice casts, like the VC spell:D

Whitehorn
02-06-2008, 08:56
I love it with a level 4 Vampire Lord... Invocate on a 2+ using lord of the dead.

Just a thought, does it increase the power level? ie. if I roll a 6, does my opponent need a 7 to dispel? If so, there's a hidden bonus.

Count Zero
02-06-2008, 09:01
I love it with a level 4 Vampire Lord... Invocate on a 2+ using lord of the dead.

Just a thought, does it increase the power level? ie. if I roll a 6, does my opponent need a 7 to dispel? If so, there's a hidden bonus.

i am pretty sure thats how it works with the DE who get +1 to cast built in.

Condottiere
02-06-2008, 09:13
i am pretty sure thats how it works with the DE who get +1 to cast built in.

That's how the DE player in our group uses it.:)

Loopstah
02-06-2008, 09:44

You mean 3+, a roll of 2 is always a fail.

Griefbringer
02-06-2008, 10:06
You'd have to be casting at least three spells that phase for +1 to be even matched for +1 pd in efficiency. Assuming you roll a 3+ on the pd.

Considering that on average the power dice would equal 3.5 you would still not be quite even at three spells.

At four spells a turn it might get handy, but then you would also need to have a plenty of power dice from somewhere.

Arkturas
02-06-2008, 14:07
It comes up as +1PD provides a (potentially) large increase to a single spell (or adds an additional spell), +1 to cast gives a small increase to every spell. If you use lots of spells per turn then +1 to cast is probably better, if a particular spell is more important to cast than others +1PD is the one to get.

Whitehorn
02-06-2008, 14:27
You mean 3+, a roll of 2 is always a fail.

On one die?

Grimtuff
02-06-2008, 15:57
On one die?

Yes. Try looking in the rulebook under the "Minimum 3+ to cast" bit on page 107. ;)

Whitehorn
02-06-2008, 16:07
Fair enough, but that still lets Lord of the Dead and Skull Staff pump rolls by 2 power on invoke.

Darkangeldentist
02-06-2008, 16:16
I like items that give me +1 to cast. Admittedly for a single level two wizard I would probably choose an extra power die over it but for a higher level wizard or in an army where I have a fairly hefty number of dice in the pool +1 to cast is better.

The bonus to each of you casting attempts can save you a couple of power dice over he course of a magic phase. In particular for undead with invocation, gaze and curse. These spell aren't very reliable on only one die in the case of the first or two dice in for the other two.

If you've got plenty of easy to cast spells or can recast them I'd take the bonus over an extra power dice any day. It really comes down to how many spells you have and how many dice you'd normally have to cast them with.

Most of the items that that give +1 to cast are a bit less than 50pts especially in the newer books or give other bonuses as well.

The best value and most useful way of getting +1 to cast is definatly the vampire mastery bloodline powers. 15pts for +1 to cast invocation on a particular unit(s) and no limit on the size is more than just a bargain.

nurgle_boy
02-06-2008, 16:16
I dont really value a +1 to cast normally,n however, with the number of spamming spells we have been seeing lately, it is definatly something to consider, although that extra power dice can also lengthen the magic phase.

I however, have, and still do value the +1 to dispel. not only do some armies have access to this along wih magic res, and other +1 to dispel items, it is also useful for the spamming spells. High elves with a staff of sorcery, or an antimagic dwarf force can raise invocation to having a 5 or 6+ cast, even with master of the dead, which can stop the phase dead. the same goes against ogres...

anyway, thats my tuppence!
mwah!
NB

Scythe
02-06-2008, 16:46
Like said, the main strenght of +1 to cast comes into play when casting low level spells, eg 4+ or 5+, most of the time. With +1 to cast, you can not only attempt these spells more easily on a single casting dice, but they also have a much bigger chance of being dispelled with at least two dice (as the difference between being cast on 4+ or 5+ often means the difference of throwing an extra dice to dispel).

Needless to say, for this to work properly, you would need a lot of low casting spells, which generally makes it less of an option for most races. VC and Lizardmen are the exception, naturally (maybe high elves or tzeentch mortals could pull it of as well, with their free low level spell). Funny enough, those are just the races who get their +1 to cast cheaply (compulsory in the lizardmen case, or 15 pts in case of VCs).

isidril93
02-06-2008, 19:27
oh the numerous times that i didnt manage to dispel a spell cos of a +1 to cast

KUMA
03-06-2008, 06:43
On one die?

1 or 2 for the end result on one die is a fail, regardless of the bonuses to cast