PDA

View Full Version : Time for the Return

Piaevo
01-06-2008, 22:41
Ok i am a returning player to 40k. I am in need of a new army. in the past i have played:
Imperial Guard (back when armor on the table scared your opponent) - Sold off these
Space Marines (i have some models still)
Chaos Space Marines (Khorne & Nurgle) (i have some models still)
Orks (i have some models still)

I currently do not have a 40k army and i am going to collect and paint a new force up (or maybe bolster a few old models i have).
With the onset of the new rule set, i am looking for an army and suggestions from the forums here. I also have not played the latest revision rule set as well.

What i do like about a 40k force is being able to have both a good close combat units and good shooting forces. I do like making one army list and playing from that list no matter who my opponent is. I like playing balanced armies, i am not a fan of the one trick pony.

so what are your suggestions??

Thanks.

Drogmir
01-06-2008, 22:50
Well SM are looking to getting a revamp soon with 5th edition coming out.

Chaos SM and Orks just got updated.

IG will get an update about Spring 2009

Ravening Wh0re
01-06-2008, 22:51
Off the top of my head...

Probably Chaos Space Marines, Space Marines, and Eldar have a good balance of shooting and combat

eek107
01-06-2008, 22:59
Tyranids can do anything. Good at assault, not bad at shooting, can play as a swarm, or a few large creatures, or anything in between.

susu.exp
01-06-2008, 22:59
Well, as far as your existant armies go, both SM and Orks can be build in a fairly balanced way, though SM will get a new Dex soon (more likely to make it even more balanceable than it is now, I think). Chaos not so much, at least if you stick to Khorne and Nurgle.

I think you can build a balanced list from pretty much every Codex, though Tau, Crons and IG tend to lack on the CC side and few Nid lists are that shooty.
You can build all-comers lists with them, but itīs certainly a bit trickier.

Eldar do allow you to field very good units in both categories and I think 5th will balance them even more, with every unit having its place. The new Deamons might also be worth a look, though a real all-commers list will inevitably be the "all 4 gods" type. I think Khorne and Tseentch make an interesting pair, with great CC on the one hand and great shooting on the other and nothing in between.

Eldar is - in my mind - a very rewarding painters army, deamons can be great for modeling.
I think it says something positive about GW, that I canīt give you solid advice: All the recent Dexes have allowed balanced lists and these lists can be successful as well.

SimBoy
02-06-2008, 00:06
!!!CHAOS, CHAOS, CHAOS!!!

I think codex Chaos Marine is the most balanced list to play against anything. A sure shoot!
But I would recommend that you also use undivided/basic chaos marine, not just PlagueMarines or Berserkers.

For the painting challenge, there are MANY great ways to paint your legion, even PINK goes well on Chaos!! :D

Captin Korea!
02-06-2008, 00:15
Chaos- There so many ways to play it, you cant go wrong!

centy
02-06-2008, 00:47
mate easy one to answer.
Wait for the new 5th ed box and buy 2 then you have both ork and space marine forces and will only need a little extra, or get one and swap half with some one else.
Ork and space marine are in the new box so you have a choice.
If you like to play orks then it is the way to go, if you are not real orky then marines.

Vedar
02-06-2008, 01:15
I'd say Chaos or Orks.

Despite what most people seem to think Chaos is pretty solid and balenced. It has some mean CC and some solid firepower to back it up. You can make a single list that can put fear into any army. 5th will help chaos as running will get CC units into combat faster and the rending nerf... is good as we don't have any. Deamon Princes while not the terror they were last codex still get respect on the field and probably one of the better HQ choices. Tons of troop choices. Cheaper raptors and Termies. Lots of good options, just don't take spawn and you are ok.

Orks. Seem pretty solid. 6 points for an ork?!? Quite a bargin. If you like horde armies they are a good choice. They might miss alot but when you are shooting 40 shots a sqaud.... and CC is where they want to be. 5th Will help them out a ton.

Space Marines. Personally I'd hold off. 5th is going to hurt them a bit with the rending nerf. Who knows what the new Codex will do. Plus everyone plays SM... yawn! Death to the False Emperor!

Piaevo
03-06-2008, 03:42
ok..so i looked at the models, what i have and such and i have decided to go with Space Marines.
Now with that said...do i go:
1. Regular Vanilla
2. Black Templars
3. Dark Angels
4. Blood Angels

Thoughts??

Eldramesha
03-06-2008, 03:49
I'd say run with a Daemonhunters list as that way you can run a list that has both IG and Space Marines. Potentially you could do a Rogue or Corrupted Inquisitor that deals with Chaos in a less "hateful" way than most.

Brimstone
03-06-2008, 06:01
ok..so i looked at the models, what i have and such and i have decided to go with Space Marines.
Now with that said...do i go:
1. Regular Vanilla
2. Black Templars
3. Dark Angels
4. Blood Angels

Thoughts??

Yes go with the codex chapters as they are just about to get a new codex I'd especially recommend Salamanders.

TheNZer
03-06-2008, 06:50
Much as I want to yell out for you to go for Guard, its' not exactly great in Close Combat. My Sugestion is to eliminate what armies you definatly don't want, then take a good look at the model ranges for each army, eliminate any from the list that you don't like. Check what is most cost effective and talk to Gamers at your local GW ( or wargaming club,) they can give you great adivice on what to get. Then hoepfully you will have an army to play with.

Good luck.

Mercer
03-06-2008, 13:14
My bet is on Orks. I've recently started a Ork army, the models are great, they the best in close combat, though down side is shooting. Though if you have mobs of shoota boyz in numbers of 30 they can shoot 60 S4 shots.

Give them a few transports vehicles to get into CC and your laughing.

Mercer