PDA

View Full Version : Tale of 40K Painters: Monthly update #11 and June working thread

McMullet
02-06-2008, 09:52
Aaaaaaaaaaaah! Another month has gone by and it's time to post more of you Tale of 40K Painters work.

This is the official thread for those of you who are in the tale to post your monthly updates - same deal as before. Tell us what you did, how much it cost and show us some pretty pictures - feel free to use this (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1790884&postcount=2) post as a template. If what you did was nothing, then post to say hello and include some form of comedic image, if possible. This thread is also for any comments, advice or banter related to the Tale.

For the viewing public, here (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1692451&postcount=1) is a brief explanation of what the Tale is about. If you want an even briefer summary: Basically, it's a way to motivate lazy painters to actually finish an army. Every month, over 12 months, we post 200 points of our chosen force. For two of those months we are allowed to do nothing and play a "joker". That makes 10 months of 200 points a month, for a total of 2000 points. Right now we're on month 11, so everyone should, in week (or so)'s time, have between 1800 and 2200 points completed.

Looking forward too seeing what you've been up to!

Sam (McMullet)

As of the current time, the following painters are enlisted in the Tale of 40K Painters:

Heldane ( Space Marines (Raptors) ) : 1684 points painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Jim Reaper ( IG ) : 1594 points painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Marksekay ( Imperial Fists ) : 1705 points painted; 2 joker(s) used.
McMullet ( Tyranids ) : 1563 points painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Meticulous ( Space Wolves 13th Company ) : 1412 points painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Norsehawk ( IG ) : 1336 points painted; 3 joker(s) used.*
penguin663 ( Death Guard ) : 1734 points painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Silvereye ( Eldar ) : 1719 points painted; 2 joker(s) used.
SuavelyDunn ( Eldar ) : 2050 points painted; 0 joker(s) used.
Thoth62 ( Space Marines ) : 1518 points painted; 2 joker(s) used.

Total painting: 16315 points

*I know theoretically that means Norsehawk is out but I reckon at this late stage we can be a bit more lenient about such things...

Please don't wait for me to post my own update before jumping in - I sent all my modelling/painting stuff home to Shropshire yesterday and I won't be back there for a week. And then I probably won't have the internet for a couple of weeks... So I may be a tad late posting this month (much like last month).

Thoth62
02-06-2008, 14:31
I'll get the ball rolling then I guess...

Thoth62's Brotherhood of Iron Space Marines: May 2008

Unit 1: 5 Terminators w/1 Assault Cannon, Preferred Enemy - Eldar.

TOTAL PAINTING FOR MAY: 225 POINTS

TOTAL PAINTING: 1743

BACKGROUND/THEME:
These Terminators are inspired a little bit by the Dark Angels Deathwing, and as such have the honorary title as the "Iron Fist" of the Brotherhood. As a result, they have a paint scheme that is markedly different from the rest of the army.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
No real conversions to speak of.

PAINTING:
Black undercoats with a heavy red ink wash. The reddish black armour is then highlighted with red gore and a little bit of blood red. Shoulderpads are the typical bone white of the army and all of the gauntlets are done with a mix of red ink and boltgun metal for a red iron type hue.

BASING:
Not painted. Assembled using the rubble from the urban basing kit that was sold around the apocalypse release.

STILL TO DO:

The bases need to be painted yet, and one of the bases still needs to be put together. Other than that, they're completed.

HIGHS AND LOWS:

Finally making the decision to do terminators instead of a second assault squad was a huge decision, but in the end I think it paid off. I'm on a definite high after doing these guys and they'll be making an appearance in a 1700 point game this Thursday against a friends Dark Eldar.

PICTURES

None as of yet. I'll take some when I get home tonight and post them then.

Overall, I'm quite happy with how these models turned out.

Next month: I haven't figured out what I'm going to do for next month yet, but I've got several options.

I recently purchased a librarian and a whirlwind, which I've assembled as of yesterday, so priming should happen tonight, weather permitting. I've also got a tactical squad that's assembled and primed but awaiting bases. So those are a definite possiblity as well. But the 10 Tactical Marines, plus the Whirlywind puts me at 1998 points, so that's likely what's going to happen.

Thoth62
03-06-2008, 17:35
Wow. Is this thread dead or what?

Anyways. Pictures.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/Thoth62/Brotherhood%20of%20Iron%20-%20Space%20Marines/Terminators001.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/Thoth62/Brotherhood%20of%20Iron%20-%20Space%20Marines/Terminators002.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/Thoth62/Brotherhood%20of%20Iron%20-%20Space%20Marines/Terminators003.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/Thoth62/Brotherhood%20of%20Iron%20-%20Space%20Marines/Terminators004.jpg

There's still a multitude of sins that the camera picked up, so there is a lot more work left on them then I anticipated. The grey highlights will be toned down, and some slips will be cleaned up. Regardless, they are ready enough to see some action.

McMullet
03-06-2008, 18:58
I think the answer is, it's pretty dead, yes. :p

Good ol' Thoth62, where would we be without you? Excellent job on those Terminators mate, I like the Deathwing-style thing with alternate colours (good idea to keep the shoulderpads, that should tie them in with the other guys). Nice choice of scheme as well, I like red and bone. One thing I was thinking, how about a darker wash (black even) over the red areas? You might have some accidental reverse highlighting if the red ink pooled anywhere, and I find a light wash of black over red always improves it.

Good luck with your game!

Thoth62
03-06-2008, 22:56
Hah! That's a question I probably shouldn't answer for fear of running afoul of the mods... :eek:

I have to admit, the terminators were really a huge experiment from beginning to end, so to say I'm happy with the result might be an understatement.

I'll try out a wash on one of them later to see what it looks like. I could even just wait until I get my hands on the new citadel washes this weekend.

I'll keep you posted on the game this weekend. If I remember, I'll take some pictures as well.

Jim Reaper
04-06-2008, 01:21
I will post something here eventually, honest. Just a bunch of conscripts and a Sentinel to do, with only an inconvenient three-day work trip to Spain getting in my way... so someday in between now and The Future I'll have something for you lot.

Jonahmaul
04-06-2008, 15:40
OK guys, i've been active over on TOFP since the start but never really popped in here (i've been pretty quiet on all of warseer to be honest!). As i'm thinking of joining the next Tale of 40k Painters (which I understand McMullet will be running again?) I thought I'd pop in & see the last couple of months progress that you guys are making. Judging by your list of who is left I assume you've lost a lot of people over the Tale the same as over at TOFP so well done to those who've stuck it out.

So only one persons stuff to comment on so far so: @ Thoth - nice work there, really like those Terminators & look forward to seeing the army shot, shame that one guy had to miss out on a scenic base (or is he getting one eventually?).

Finally, may I ask why you guys decided to go with 200 points for this? I know the thinking for TOFP was to get a 2000 point army as that's what size your average games is but i've always found average 40k games to be 1500 points or do you guys find its better to paint 200 a month so you get more varity to choose from? (And the obvious using larger armies!)

McMullet
04-06-2008, 15:54
I think we went for 2000 points last time as it was part of the plan - Harry and I threw the idea together over the course of a few PMs and I guess the number just got pulled out of the air (and with Harry being a Fantasy player he'd think of that as a normal army I guess).

For the next 40K tale I've made the army size a bit more flexible - I do like having 2000 points (or more) to choose from myself, but I know a lot of 40K gamers plan out a complete 1500 point army and just paint that. I tend to get shiny thing syndrome and buy lots of everything...

Thoth62
04-06-2008, 16:00
OK guys, i've been active over on TOFP since the start but never really popped in here (i've been pretty quiet on all of warseer to be honest!). As i'm thinking of joining the next Tale of 40k Painters (which I understand McMullet will be running again?) I thought I'd pop in & see the last couple of months progress that you guys are making. Judging by your list of who is left I assume you've lost a lot of people over the Tale the same as over at TOFP so well done to those who've stuck it out.

So only one persons stuff to comment on so far so: @ Thoth - nice work there, really like those Terminators & look forward to seeing the army shot, shame that one guy had to miss out on a scenic base (or is he getting one eventually?).

Nice to see you over here mate!

Thanks for the compliments. And to answer your question, yes, he'll be getting a base to match the others. The reason he doesn't have one right now is because I was using the large resin pieces from the urban basing kit that came out with the apocalypse release. Sadly, there were only 4 of those size bits that came in the kit, and I really don't want to have to buy another whole kit. So I'll either find a friend who's willing to give up one of those, or I'll put together a suitably impressive base from the bits I have left as well as some plasticard and GS. We'll see what happens, but I'll definitely keep things updated over in my log. I also forgot to get an army shot, but seeing as I have a game with pretty much this entire army (1700) tomorrow, I'll take some pictures of it then.

Edit: I usually play games at around 1500 as well, and I like having more than that to chose from. I think by the time I finish everything I've purchased (including the extra marines and the rhino, libbie, and whirlwind) I should be sitting at somewhere around 2250. Then it's back to some of the other projects I have on the backburner, like my Guard, a Chaos fleet for BFG, and a boatload of Chaos stuff that I got last fall.

SuavelyDunn
04-06-2008, 19:12
UNITS COMPLETE THIS MONTH

Falcon Grav Tank (Pulse Laser, Starcannon & Shuriken Catapult) = 140 points

Total this month - 140 points

CURRENT ARMY POINTS - 2,211 points

BACKGROUND/THEME: Originally played Ulthwe Eldar for many years and bought the new codex and models earlier this year. Saw the "Carnage Tale of X Gamers" on Warseer and the eldar of Rob Peck. Loved the idea & scheme and this gave me the inspiration to start my army in July.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Not very adventurous in the conversion front so most of my figures are "out of the box".

PAINTING:
Black outfit, bone decals plus helmet & shoulder pads. Red jems & green dashboard.

BASING:
My friend has designed and produced in plaster a series of bases which match the gaming table we play on. Drybrushed grey, black edges with the addition of static grass plus leaf scatter.

STILL TO DO:
Nothing for these figures.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Low: Not being organised enough to start the painting earlier!
High: Still being in at month 11!

NEXT MONTH:
Need to finish warp spider squad, striking scorpion squad, howling banshee squad & the harlequins are still looking at me..
Ambitious I know, but if I aim high enough!

Keep it up guys - almost there!

A.

Silvereye
06-06-2008, 12:51
Silvereye's Eldar: May 2008

HQ

* Asurmen

BUILD/CONVERSION:

Thinned the thikness of the Sword os Asur, removed the banner pole and iron sights on his catapults.

PAINTING:

Colour reversal for the aspect warriors, so predominantly white. This time built up from From Fortress grey as I didn't want the deep shadows. The Blue was started from Regal Blue highlighted to Ultramarine as again I wanted them brighter.

BASING:

Hell must have froze over or something. I finished this. Again, fortress grey wash drybrushed to white. The larger rocks were Codex Grey highlighted Fortress Grey.

STILL TO DO:

I'm very happy with him, though I forgot to do the wire and gem on the back of the sword.

HIGHS AND LOWS:

Highs: a massive 40K apocalypse game. I'll post a link with photos when I get chance.
Lows: None, well the minor damage the titan received in transit. The colour change was a nice distraction though.

PICTURES
See thumbnails.

THIS MONTH'S TASK
Those Dire Avengers are still there, waiting....

McMullet
06-06-2008, 14:31
SuavelyDunn: Loving the freehand on the Falcon. Well done on getting in on time and getting so much done!
Silvereye: Looks great, the white looks very clean and the blue highlights are very smooth.

Given the rather slow uptake so far this month, I think we might as well just say, "Post something this month". It's fair enough for things to slow down a bit at the end of the project.

How's about we all aim to get finished completely (including the last month's work) by the end of July? That'll give us some extra time to polish things, tidy up and get some nice whole army shots...

Jonahmaul
06-06-2008, 14:59
@ SuavelyDunn - awesome looking Grav Tank although I can't say I'm sold on the gold engine. Still excellent painting skills though.

@ Silvereye - nice looking Asurman & I like the variation on the colour theme, can't really make out the white shading/ highlights in the picture though unfortunately.

Thoth62
06-06-2008, 17:26
Given the rather slow uptake so far this month, I think we might as well just say, "Post something this month". It's fair enough for things to slow down a bit at the end of the project.

How's about we all aim to get finished completely (including the last month's work) by the end of July? That'll give us some extra time to polish things, tidy up and get some nice whole army shots...

Sounds fair to me. I've still got a few minor things to tweak with some of my units anyways.

I had a game last night.
1700 points, vs. Dark Eldar. Take and Hold. I'll post some pictures up later, but I may as well let you guys know what went down. We only had time for 4 turns, and I made sure I had last turn, so I got the chance to move on the objective with the terminators and both land speeders, which were, quite miraculously, still alive. Do to a combination of some rotten luck on both sides, as well as one or two stupid tactical errors, the game ended up being a lot closer then it probably should have been.

I ended up winning, but I have no doubt that had the game carried on into the fifth and sixth turn, the end result would have been very much in doubt. I'll post some pictures and a much more detailed report later. The terminators accounted well for themselves though. The five of them wiped out the remainder of a DE warrior squad on the turn they deepstruck, as well as a handfull of reaver jetbikes with shooting, as well as finishing them off in close combat. They would have ripped apart another warrior squad if they hadn't failed their Target priority though, and had to shoot at a raider instead. Which ended up doing nothing.

Good game though. There were points where both my opponent and I were sweating our balls off, and we had a very fun time.

SuavelyDunn
07-06-2008, 16:33
@McMullet - Thanks for the feedback! Having an extra month to finish the army is fine by me.

@Jonahmaul - Rushed the engine a bit. Was trying some dip stuff to see how it worked on metallics and it came out with a reasonable result. Black engines just make the model look unfinished and bone distracts from the freehand. Might go back at some point and change the colour. BTW, like the gobbo army - am doing the fantasy TOP next, but with an army with slightly less figures than yours!

Have changed the Warp Spider look as wasn't happy with the 1st attempt. Am also trying out photobucket, so please bear with me if this doesn't work...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/SuavelyDunn/DSC_1624.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/SuavelyDunn/DSC_1625.jpg

Have tried to keep in line with the existing army theme. Your comments will be appreciated!

A.

penguin663
07-06-2008, 17:49
Chaos Havocs
5 marines
2 autocannons
missile launcher
lascannon

Total painted 1904(ish) as I haven't adjusted the points for the squads I submitted before the change of the Chaos codex.

Champion is missing from the picture, dunno where he is though:confused:

This will probably be the last update from me as I have run out of things to paint. Its been fun taking part in this and watching everones army grow.

Oh well better get started on next years Death Guard:evilgrin:
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i156/penguin663/100_0500.jpg

Silvereye
07-06-2008, 23:12
@ Silvereye - nice looking Asurman & I like the variation on the colour theme, can't really make out the white shading/ highlights in the picture though unfortunately.

Thanks for the comments. I wanted to make the Aspects different enough from the world colours, but needed to keep a unifying theme. Colour switching the avengers (normally blue with a bit of white) seemed to work nicely. Fitting him on a 45mm base also improved the look of the figure.

I had to rush the pictures by using artificial lights which seems to have washed everything out. I'll try to take some more under more natural light if I get the chance.

Nice work on those Eldar SuavelyDunn, I can't wait to see an army shot at when this is over. Penguins Havocs look interesting too. Though like me the picture seems to be suffering from an over abundance of light.

Marsekay
08-06-2008, 02:36
Ahhh i forgot about this :S
i have however finished, (there were 3 land speeders for this month)
i have the pics somewhere....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/marsekay/speeders.jpg
and
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/marsekay/speeders4.jpg

i think the total points for these 3 is

around 250-300

i will check this later!

Oh and i believe i left of the pics from last month!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/marsekay/vindicatorsdone002.jpg

there we go, theres proof i wasnt making it up!

Jonahmaul
08-06-2008, 08:21
@ Suavelydunn - can't comment on whether it fits into your army as i've only seem the grav tank but the warp spider is very nice! Thanks for the comments on the gobbos, i'm doing both 'Tales' next year but going for armies with slightly less models!

@ Penguin - nice looking Havocs

@ Marsekay - awesome looking land speeders & vindicators. may I ask how you painted them because i've been thinking about doing an Imperial Fist army myself? (although i'm currently thinking of Ultramarines!).

Marsekay
08-06-2008, 10:26
[QUOTE=Jonahmaul;
@ Marsekay - awesome looking land speeders & vindicators. may I ask how you painted them because i've been thinking about doing an Imperial Fist army myself? (although i'm currently thinking of Ultramarines!).[/QUOTE]

Boo to the ultramarines!!!!

anyway cheers mate and if you want to know how i painted them, have a look in my log in my sig, its at the start somewhere....

McMullet
08-06-2008, 15:57
Thoth62: Congrats on the win - look forward to some pics!

SuavelyDunn: I really like the Spider. Great painting on the gems and the reddy orange gun bit. One thing: Try resizing your photos with Picasa or Photoshop before uploading, as photobucket autoresizes them if you don;t and does a pretty bad job (meaning your pics come out a bit pixellated)

penguin663: Well done on finishing! 2000 points is a lot for a 40K army so there's no expectation for everyone to be dead on 2K. Glad that the Tale helped you get your army done and I look forward to the next one!

Marsekay: There you are! I knew you'd turn up sooner or later. :p Great work as ever mate, those Vindicators look ace as well. By the way, if you have 2 Multimelta speeders and one with HB/AC I make that 210 points.

Marsekay
14-06-2008, 16:35
Marsekay: There you are! I knew you'd turn up sooner or later. :p Great work as ever mate, those Vindicators look ace as well. By the way, if you have 2 Multimelta speeders and one with HB/AC I make that 210 points.

Awesome! i guess i'm done then give or take a few points! nothing that a few upgrades wouldnt fix.

i will have to post up a finished army pic i think :)

McMullet
24-06-2008, 16:42
Marse: I look forward to the whole army pic!

Here's my sort-of update for this month... late, and not proper and all that. I've built/converted 400 and odd points to paint next month, so everything is unpainted and worth half. Or something.

McMullet's Custard Tyranids: June 2007

Unit 1: Hive Tyrant: 2 Scytals, Flesh Hooks, Toxic Miasma, Toxin Sacs, Warp Field. 148 points.

Unit 2: Carnifex: Scytals, Crushing Claws, Adrenal Glands (both), Bondfed Exoskeleton, Ext. Carapace, Regenerate, Reinforced Chitin, Spine Banks, Toxic Miasma, Toxin Sacs, Tusks. 247 points (!). Call me Mr. Point Sink.

Unit 3: 2 Hormagaunts. Nowt. 20 points.

Unit 4: 1 Hormagaunt. Toxin Sacs. 12 points.

TOTAL PAINTING FOR JULY: 427/2 = 213.5 POINTS

BACKGROUND/THEME:
The setting for this army is a ruined/ruinous city that is being partially reclaimed by the desert as the Tyranids and Imperial forces fight over it. I'm also keeping a purely close-combat force as I don't like the ranged bio-weapons the tyranids use.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
The fex has been reposed a bit and then I spent quite some time making the extended carapace. The extra tusk is also an addition.
The Tyrant is pretty standard bar the head, which no longer has a giant scythe thing or a goatee beard.
Hormies are out of the box.

PAINTING:
Shush.

BASING:
Will be very exciting when I do it.

STILL TO DO:
Quite a lot.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Really pleased with the extended carapace on the Fex.

PICTURES

Tyrant:

http://images.fotopic.net/y6m9td.jpg

Fex:

http://images.fotopic.net/y6m9tb.jpg

Hormies:

http://images.fotopic.net/y6m9ta.jpg

Next month: The above, with paint. I promise.

Thoth62
24-06-2008, 17:44
Looking sharp there, McMullet. (Hey look! I punned...)

I'm really liking those conversions, and in fact, without looking at the captions, my first thought was, "I thought Carnifexes were plastic..." That Tyrant is pretty ace.

As a small update of my own, I've gotten the basecoats done on the tactical squad, but they were set aside last night to work on the librarian. With a grand total of 4.75 hours of work on him last night, and a few niggly details yet to do, I think I can proudly say that he's game ready. I'm hoping to get the whirlywind done(?) by Wednesday, which is doable if I put some solid hours into it, and should then be able to field them both in a 1700 point game on Thursday as a substitute to the bikes, who have been woefully unproductive in the last couple of games I've had with them, save the last game against an Imperial Guard army, in which they took down a sentinal and a guardsmen squad before being blown to bits by a stray earthshaker round...

My game on Thursday is going to be against either a Tyranid army, or the Dark Eldar I played a couple weeks back, so either way, the whirlwind should fit in pretty well. With the bikes gone, the assault marines then slide into more of a counter assault role.

We'll see how it goes.

Jonahmaul
24-06-2008, 18:53
@ McMullet - awesoe looking nids there, looking forward to seeing them painted