PDA

View Full Version : The Big Drop

Sholto
03-06-2008, 16:59
So, how many of you have ever heard That Sound?

What sound? For me it was the sound of my box full of Tau vehicles (and this is a big box, including a FW Barracuda and some Remoras) sliding off its shelf and crashing 4' to the floor :cries: Yeah, That Sound. The sound of fully painted resin and plastic ploughing into concrete at 8am.

I was 1/2 hour late for work that morning because I couldn't bear to leave without gluing all the pieces back together again.

So, any other tales of horror to make me feel even slightly better?

Sholto

Redrivertears
03-06-2008, 17:37
Heya,

Haven't had it happen to me yet, but your description makes me shudder just to think of it!

Hope you get everything fixed up.

-Redrivertears-

Rhamiel
03-06-2008, 17:40
i feel so so so so so sorry for you

i hope your tanks i back together now

oh and no i havent really had that happen to me (it will soon :P)

Rhamiel

Seved
03-06-2008, 17:42
I was just about to finish building a daemon prince with wings. Those wings had been quite difficult to pin to the body. It was early in the morning and I was tired. I reached to grab the piece in order to give it some final paint and I fumbled... it fell down and hit the floor with a heavy thump.:eek:
I just sat there, because I could'nt bring myself to look. After a while did I pick it up and the wings had'nt fallen off, but they where loose and those giant feet had parted with the base.:cries:
I put everything down, went to bed, and fixed it the next day, but that thump reverberated through my whole body when it happened.

Mr. Smuckles
03-06-2008, 18:02
I dropped all of my models out of a car a few weeks ago while heavily intoxicated from beer.

It was not a pretty scene at 2 AM.

mr gribbly
03-06-2008, 18:34
I had a friend who had the old thunderhawk (the metal one). He spent nearly a week carefully building it. When he'd finished painting it, and it did look great, he put it on the top shelf (which had been specialy reforced to take it).

About a week later he was in a bad mood, slammed the door, which was then followed by the shelf tearing out of the wall, the thunderhawk hitting the next shelf, which also broke off, spilling all his models onto the floor.

needless to say, it didnt improve his mood :D

northoceanbeach
03-06-2008, 18:51
the next person that beats me badly is going to hear that sound.

lijah_cuu
03-06-2008, 19:18
My just finished Valkyrie vibrated itself off the shelf when I had the washing machine on.
Picture a crying fatman picking bits of resin off the floor and wailing....

jedideinos
03-06-2008, 20:00
I dropped my resin Thunderhawk - thankfully only the landing legs broke - the wings and other bits came apart at the joins. That was 8 months ago and I still haven't put back it together: somehow I can't face the effort involved.

Temprus
03-06-2008, 20:08
I had four of five 15 foot long (maybe longer) shelves of gaming books come down, my minis collection was on the top shelf that did not come down (thankfully, that would have been bad, very bad). The shelves were made 10 years before for stuffed animals and my then vast Star Wars collection, not hundreds upon hundreds of books. :D

Col. Tartleton
03-06-2008, 20:41
I store my models in a large bureau drawer, they are safe there. I think it would take a major disaster to damage them, and they're rare occurrences in New Hampshire.

vexcet
03-06-2008, 20:45
I had my first ever painted squad of Space Maines, they wern't expensive but took me 100hrs + to build and paint, Pushed on the ground by my mum after an argument!

Lord Cook
03-06-2008, 20:45
Do not leave tyranid warriors and hormagaunts on the floor. They seem to be a magnet for family members who are not looking where they are treading...

chaos0xomega
03-06-2008, 21:08
This is every mini gamers worst nightmare. We all feel your pain.

That reminds me, I have a rather unstable light fixture above my workspace... maybe its time I took that down...

jack'n'coke please
03-06-2008, 21:26
my pet rats managed to make off with a few Necron warriors whilst my back was turned. i was finding skeletal robot limbs around my room for weeks. needless to say, they didn't get their 'We'll Be Back' rolls. luckily they were only test models and a gift to boot. i collect Tau now....

themandudeperson
03-06-2008, 21:33
I had a friend at a con, who had his models sitting in an open box slightly under the table and some clumsy teenager stumbled and planted a foot dead in the middle of the box! Luckily for junior, the models were a recent free gift and most weren't even base coated yet while none were painted...

Grimtuff
03-06-2008, 21:41

My ePeen is bigger than yours..... :rolleyes:

Angry fish
03-06-2008, 21:46
little sisters are a nightmare!

not so much once their over the age of 5, but still.

replacing models that you've lost to find them in a dolls house 6 months later is SO annoying.

It's quite funny finding them tucked up in your bed with a blanket mostly covering them though...

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
03-06-2008, 21:49
1500pts of chaos hits the floor due to family member trying to squeeze by ;__;

Luckily iron warriors are made from iron :D

Hicks
03-06-2008, 22:10
Thank fully, my miniatures never suffered massive destruction. However, something quite horrible happened to my friend a couple years ago. We were playing a game of WHFB and since we were 6 players for this game, the dinner table was extended with wood planks atop chairs.

Now it was really visible that the chairs were supporting the planks. My friend had put all of is Chaos Dwarves on the plank side of the table and went in the computer room to make a list with armybuilder.

Enters the guy we will call "Dumbarse". Not happy with having to stand up during the game, he helped himself with a chair... the one holding the planks. Their was weight on that chair, so it didn't move easily. Did Dumbarse realize this was because something was on the chair? Well apparantly not because he then yanked it from under the table and my friend's army fell to the ground.

My friend horrified buy the crashing sound ran into the kitchen only to find his army shattered. He let out a big "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!". My friend and Dumbarse aren't the best of friends since that happened.

Torga_DW
03-06-2008, 22:21
My big story happened to a friend while we were playing a game in 3rd. He keeps all his unused minis in boxes under the table we're playing on. Stands up to move a squad and i hear this sickening crunch. He put his foot square in the middle of a box full of plastic catachans. ouch.

Darth Rubi
03-06-2008, 22:41
This didn't happen to me but a friend of mine (thankfully!)

He was crossing the road with his entire necron army on a tray. A car drove by really quickly and the gush of air made the tray flip, spilling the contents onto the road. So before he can pick anything up, another car drives past and, well, you can guess the rest :cries:

Five 'cron warriors survived, and the monolith was salvageable, out of like 2000pts of army. He doesn't play 'crons anymore

He also got pretty tired of everyone asking "so I guess they failed their WBB role?" when he told the story :D

paulb359
03-06-2008, 22:49
A Valkyrie, a Vulture, two Land Speeder Tempests are all in a box placed carefully where nobody can disturb them while I repack and reorganise my cases after an Apocalypse game...I go to get a drink, then my mum comes along and there's a loud bang.

I rush out of the kitchen to find two wingless Tempests, a Valkyrie with no rudders and a Vulture with a wing three feet away from where it should have been...

*sigh* Mothers...

gamer2456
03-06-2008, 23:05
I store my models in a large bureau drawer, they are safe there. I think it would take a major disaster to damage them, and they're rare occurrences in New Hampshire.

hey, a fellow new-hampshireer, where-about in NH are you? im around the Nashua area

Seved
03-06-2008, 23:42
little sisters are a nightmare!

not so much once their over the age of 5, but still.

replacing models that you've lost to find them in a dolls house 6 months later is SO annoying.

It's quite funny finding them tucked up in your bed with a blanket mostly covering them though...

It was a funny story. :)

Which army did your models belong to?

Vasteye
04-06-2008, 00:13
I think the message that's coming across here is - don't keep models on shelves! They seem doomed to a rather fatal fall to earth.

Gensuke626
04-06-2008, 00:37

That's a really mature response.:rolleyes:

I saw a friend of mine's tank hit the floor last night. Predator destructor...both sponsons broke off but it wasn't soo bad.

I dropped a box of tanks once...but since I play orks it wasn't so bad...

The worst thing that happened to me so far was this one time my Girlfriend accidentally stepped on one of the new trukks. We have an AC that's mounted above a sliding glass door, so we need to use a stool to turn it on and off...she was trying to be cute and wasn't looking where her foot was going. Truth be told the trukk looks like it was never broken, but I was paniced for a few hours while she reassured me that her foot was fine...despite the fact that one of the spiky bits broke skin...

nurgle_boy
04-06-2008, 01:06
Ah, I have seen some bad one, and time consuming ones in my local GW. the chairs are just to small to put a case on one way, and they slide if you prop the lid up... the number of times someone has rested theirs on one, and it slides off, churning out models...

My worst was carrying an open case, then proceeding to quite simply, drop it... cue 3 metre radius of orcs, plus contents of a small bits box...

but following the suit of a certain poster, next time someone knocks over even one model of mine, I will break their face with a panzerfaust made of broken bones and the bodies of children...

GURAAAAAARGH!

:rolleyes:

mwah!
NB

Hellebore
04-06-2008, 01:11
I had pulled an allnighter to get my great unclean one ready for Golden Daemon when at ~5:30am it slipped from my fingers and hit the floor between my feet. It broke into 3 pieces and pulled the paint off across the seams.

I then had less than an hour to fix it because we were leaving for GD in Sydney (a 2.5 hour drive at minimum).

Hellebore

Kettu
04-06-2008, 03:22
Well, my minis are kept in a large toolbox wedged in tightly on the top shelf in the hallway wardrobe.

To remove it you have to remove the pieces of the unassembled bed first before it will even move. So, luckily no problems yet. (Touch wood)

However, the latches on the toolboxes lid are broken and tend to pop open often and so I always carry it underneath and not by the handle which is attached to the lid.

You think everyone else in the family would know this by now.

I have had to reglue the backpacks to my sisters so many times now.
And my Hellhammer Heavy flamer sponsons have broken at the joint inside but I can't be bothered to fix that, it still looks good enough.

Saxon
04-06-2008, 03:56
I had an eldar revenant titan - I spent a long time positioning it just right, every joint pinned and glued. I kept it in my gaming room/garage on top of a TV on top of a cabinet where no-one can get it easily.

A short time later I was walking through the garage carrying a long plank of wood - turned the corner around a tool bench and felt something hit the end of the - turned round to see what.........

one revenant titan - launches abut 8' onto a concrete floor - I screamed so loud my wife came running out to see what had happened - I couldn't speak for about 3 mins because of the shock

killa kan kaus
04-06-2008, 04:26
Luckily the worst thing that happened to me was I accidently placed my foot on an eldar jetbike. This broke the bike and stuck the pointy stick into the bottom of my foot.

ehlijen
04-06-2008, 05:11
That sound was when the lid of my double sized figure case decided it wanted to be freed of its dreadful attachment to the box and that my entire IG army inside were acceptable losses just as I was stepping off the bus....what fun I had picking everything up in the middle of a busy busstop...and then having no figure case to actually continue the journey (the lid joints had actually broken!)...

Thankfully, despite massive breakage and scatchage the only thing permantly lost was one head (for which I have plenty spares). So as soon as I find the will to do nothing for a day but repairs and touch ups, it'll all be good again. Mostly. And thanks to the guys from the GW store who gave me old spare boxes to carry the stuff back home in!

blackroyal
04-06-2008, 05:25
That sound was when the lid of my double sized figure case decided it wanted to be freed of its dreadful attachment to the box...

Was this the $90 GW case?

ehlijen
04-06-2008, 05:57
erm...is that US$? It was the one twice the size of the AUD$85 ones. The one with 3 layers of infantry and a tank section as big as those again.

chaos0xomega
04-06-2008, 06:00
Well, none of this happened to me, but I know a guy that put his necron army on top of his car, loaded everything else that the had with him into his car(save the box full of necron models), and then drove away with said box still on his car. He gets to a red light, hits the breaks, the box goes flying forward, but not far enough that he could stop the car before hitting it... necron armies never looked good under the wheels of someones toyota...

Same thing happened to another guy I know, except with Tau.. and the car wasn't started when the box fell and shattered the models to pieces...

sing Sang a song
04-06-2008, 06:05
Okay my turn!! here goes; tau battlesuits falling down due to textbook, daemon prince falling down to my chaos box to do my soda, hammerhead falling down from shelves, wood elf box falling from 4', and etc.
But luckily no major damage except few annoying gluing

Moriarty
04-06-2008, 07:25
Still don't like to think about it.

3k+ pts of RT Marines, plastic & metal, including 'flying brick' LS, in four box files. Shelf at 7' height, lift down stack of box files (done this x+1 times before, no prob) top three box files slide inexorably over my head to the floor.

Happy I was not.

Still haven't looked at the damage three months after the event.

polymphus
04-06-2008, 07:40
Hark yon, to my tale of woe!

T'was but three weeks ago, when I did sell my army of Skaven. A cursory inspection told me t'was worth about 3500pts, and had somewhere in the realm of 450 models.

And lo, I did carry my army into the clubrooms, whereup the sale were to commence but nay! Woe! The most fiendish doorstep did trip me, and I fell, shattering the army to many tiny bits; some of which peppered my prospective buyer.

It did take myself and three good men a total of forty minutes to find all said bits, by when buyer had long since departed. And so I placed all my tiny bits in a big box, and to this day have not taken them out again, lest I be stricken by mourning at the very thought.

Your Humble Scribe,
Poly

Jellicoe
04-06-2008, 08:06
Not as bad as many of the above but I too have had a heart stopping air to ground incident with a winged daemon prince who turned out to be very flightless. never quite the same again

A friend lost an entire fully rigged and beautifully painted Napoleonic Naval spanish fleet which was in its box on the passenger seat of the car. Sudden braking caused much excessive breakage and it has never sailed again....

TheOverlord
04-06-2008, 08:17
Well there was one story I heard in my gaming store.

Apparently his friend brought his comp in over for something or another, and somehow managed to slip his grip on the thing just above 15 battlesuits and broadsides. Well you know the rest. The shop owner was happy with the amount of business he got the following weekend though :)(his friend paid for it)

Serpent
04-06-2008, 08:29
I've had that experience once or twice with my IG army. The vehicles usually reside in an empty Coke tray. One day I was taking it home before a tournament, and the tray sat in the passenger seat of the car. A sudden break caused the whole tray to slide off the seat, and the three Sentinells ended up in the bottom of the pile. Only one foot broke off, but the sound send chills down the spine.

Another incident happened at a tournament a few years ago. My Night Lords played defensively against a Tyranid army heading for my lines. Two units of Raptors lurked very close to my table edge, in order to counter-charge the bugs when they got close enough. Unfortunately, my opponent was a bit careless with his pelveic area when moving his swarm forward. The board was given quite a push, and six out of eight Raptors plunged towards the floor, the Icon bearer among them. Bits flew in different directions, and I was gutted, so much that I angrily threw the Icon bearer on the board, breaking off another spike. I then went out for a bit of a rest, taking ten minutes to cool off (chances were that my opponent would have suffered a verbal abuse if I hadn't). A month later, I opened the army box again, and was surprised to find that I only needed to replace four out of eight spikes...

vice
04-06-2008, 09:09
I once dropped my old army box, with 2000pts of marines inside, on concrete. No foam or anything inside.

2 tanks, a dozen characters and a tactical squad and a half of broken plastics spent a weekend on the repair desk, and the bloody Predator's sponsons still don't fit properly.

Not cool. The moral of the story is always bring protection.

TheNZer
04-06-2008, 09:25
I had a few models go kasplat, never somthing I couldn't fix. :D

However once at my local club some idiot kida came along while we were having a game, pick up one of my mates models and goes "wow cool model," them drops it by mistake onto the nice hard floor. Needless to say we were not impressed.

Ambu
04-06-2008, 11:12
Me and a friend of mine went to a con in his mom's mini van several years ago, I personnally only took a couple of foam lined boxes, he took his whole set.

We went to the con, had a blast and packed up. Since I was being dropped off at my house I had my stuff behind the rear bench seat. He opted to put all his stuff in the carvan luggage rack box on top of the minivan. Well lets just say it wasn't attached too soundly and the lid flew of an hour south of Columbus, Ohio goin about 70 in fairly decent traffic. Needless to say my friend had to pull over and have a moment.

1 Very Large Bretonian Army(not sure what points was, but honestly one of the biggest armies I seen EVER), About 2k Tyranids, and 1500 (beautifully painted and modeled I might add) CSM army became roadkill......

Glad I put my stuff in the back.....

Bunnahabhain
04-06-2008, 11:16
I had an eldar revenant titan - I spent a long time positioning it just right, every joint pinned and glued. I kept it in my gaming room/garage on top of a TV on top of a cabinet where no-one can get it easily.

A short time later I was walking through the garage carrying a long plank of wood - turned the corner around a tool bench and felt something hit the end of the - turned round to see what.........

one revenant titan - launches abut 8' onto a concrete floor - I screamed so loud my wife came running out to see what had happened - I couldn't speak for about 3 mins because of the shock

I think this one wins, for the sheer slapstick value of it.

As for myself....
I've built a whole load of shelves for models, to go in the top of a cupboard. They're 2' by 2', but only 2-4" tall each, so you can't see the back very well. The number of times I've slid a tray of models in the front, and stopped just as I hear the rain of Guardsmen falling off the back of the shelf...
At least the plastic Cadians are about 100 times tougher in real terms than they are in tabletop ones.

Assorted boxes of scenery always try and escape, quite often off the car roof, or down steps as I try and open a door with too many boxes in hands, but that stuff is supposed to look battered and war torn, and more importantly has lots of superglue in it...

vehicles etc

Angry fish
04-06-2008, 12:50
It was a funny story. :)

Which army did your models belong to?

Chaos

(awwww, look at the cute little daemon prince all nicely snuggled up with the khorne berzerkers)

Talos
04-06-2008, 12:58
I remember years ago I brought that Chaos Dragon Model with the Tzeentch Champ on him cant remember his name. Well that took me weeks to make I had to pin nearly all of it together. I finally made it and painted it and I had it at school to show some mates and I was putting it in my desk (old English boarding school so those desk that open upwards). I was trying to move some books so it would fit nad teacher came by and closed my desk right on top it. It all came apart and the wings snaped in 1/2 I was gutted.
When I moved house I put 20 Khorne zerkers in a box and when I openned the box at the other end they all had lost something, arms,legs,heads etc.

The worse thing I have seen was again at my boarding school we where like 12 at the time and it was the end of term so someone was packing up there army and stacking them in boxs so the boxs where stacked on top of each other and me and few guys where messing around with a ball and well the ball hit the boxs and all of them went crashing to the floor his whole SM army was smashed.

Earthbeard
04-06-2008, 13:04
My girlfriend tends to knock my models around far more than I do. A few have taken nasty tumbles and have needed to be repaired! with tears and dispair.

My friend recently knocked his FW Tau commander battlesuit off the table and broke its, legs, one arm and both it's guuns.

paulb359
04-06-2008, 13:11
I once dropped my old army box, with 2000pts of marines inside, on concrete. No foam or anything inside.

2 tanks, a dozen characters and a tactical squad and a half of broken plastics spent a weekend on the repair desk, and the bloody Predator's sponsons still don't fit properly.

Not cool. The moral of the story is always bring protection.

I had the same problem when my Predator took a nose dive, but in the end I found a way which worked quite well. Take 2 of the 2x1 Lego Bricks and glue them to the hull, then glue the sponson to it. As long as it's the same colour as the model, it's rarely noticed...

Keichi246
04-06-2008, 15:43
Forge World models make the saddest smashing sounds. :(

Forge World Piranha dropped from a height of about 4 feet onto tile at a local GW by a youngster, shortly after they came out. I couldn't be mad at the kid though. He had actually asked politely and was holding and admiring it carefully. Unfortunately - an idiot jostled him from behind and knocked it out of his hands. Shattered into 14 pieces. (and became "crashed piranha terrain" due to excessive damage)

Forge World Broadsides - not shattered by a fall. Packed sideways in a standard carry case for a 8 hour summer road trip to a tourney. Railgun barrels softened in the the heat of the car and became "hug me!" arms instead... Luckily, a hair dryer and a straighedge has resolved most of the issues... (note - purchased a case where they can be packed more appropriately.)

My Forge World Valkyrie (painted as a Stormtrooper ride). Loyal servants of the Emperor to the last - it crashed during one of the Eye of Terror "bring and battles". It was being "flown" over the enemy lines to indicate it's move when my friend dropped it - onto a squad of metal, heavily converted, Chaos terminators. The Valkyrie lost a wing, landing gear, and split along the center hull of the cargo box (along with other cosmetic damage). The Terminators lost a variety of parts (mostly arms, and a few extra sharp spikes). After the first moments of shock and Ohmigods! - I laughed and told the player of the terminators to make armor saves. Three failed and the Valkyrie was declared shot down by enemy fire. That was enough to settle the mood and get everyone laughing. (It was an honest accident and everyone knew it. There was no point in getting mad - and besides - it made for a good cinematic storytell. The Chaos player even played along and removed his damaged Termy with the reaper autocannon as one of the victims - saying that it shot down the Valk before the pilot of the flaming ruins crashed it into him.)

The Valkyrie has since been repaired and rededicated to Imperial service.