PDA

View Full Version : Units of DOOOOM!

Scanno
22-04-2005, 11:41
Saw something like this on the fantasy general discussion.
Basically, what do you take to kill stuff. Until it's dead. None of this poncin around takin v.c.s, what one unit in your army is designed to win, kill, maim, slaughter etc?
Personally, I like a chaplain with jump pack leading a nice big assault squad, especially with the new rules to reroll misses.

General_Xue
22-04-2005, 14:36
Khornate deamon prince, with axe of khorne, feel no pain, and a host of other gifts. Once he killed 10 space marines in one sweep of his axe!

Karhedron
22-04-2005, 14:42
I tend not to go for one uber unit because a single battlecannon hit can often wipe out several hundred points in one go. I prefer multiple decent squads that can either take out weakened opposition on their own or gang up to take on big stuff.

It is more flexible and means that 500 points of super powered killy death doesn't get stuck fighting rippers for half the battle.

salty
22-04-2005, 14:43
Ork Warlord in Mega Armour, 5 Nobz (1 Mega Armoured, 2 Eavy Armoured with a Uge Choppa and a Power Klaw, 2 Normal), Mekboy, Wartrukk (Red Paint Job, Big Grabba, Turbo Boosta, Grot Riggerz), Attack Squig.

Gets into combat VERY quickly, and turns into a death-dealing demon thingy :D

All those lurvly S10, S8 and S6 attacks...

Salty :)

Jonathan =I=
22-04-2005, 14:52
Ive gotta go with my assault terminator squad with a single thunder hammer termi and 6 with lightning claws all with furios charge. As well as a chaplain with lightning claws. Too sweet to be true on the charge :)

Puffin Magician
22-04-2005, 14:52
I agree with Karhedron but more because a giant uberunit makes for a boring game. Either you plow through enemy squads like a meltagun through butter or it's killed/lost in the Warp/etc and a considerable fraction of your army is gone.

My Armoured Battlegroup has no trouble killing everything and does not need a unit of doom, but I have a Stormblade anyway.

General_Xue
22-04-2005, 14:57
I find the opposite. If both sides have fragile but strong units, then games are more random and interesting, such as:

"Wow, I mullered an assault squad with my chaos lord!"
"oh ****! He's been fried by a lascannon!"

It's more fun than:

"My tac squad kill some of your guardians."
My guardians kill some of your tac squad."

PlagueLord
22-04-2005, 14:58
A squad of 9 Rubric Terminators, with a Champion with Bolt of Change, Chainfist, Power Axe, Mutation, Demonic Strength, Spiky Bitz, Eye of Tzeentch.

Dead 'ard and killy if I do say so myself. ;)

lord_blackfang
22-04-2005, 16:34
Tactical Marines / bolter-armed Chaos Marines. With MoT or MoN. Sure, I can't dish it out, but boy can I take it!

mattjgilbert
22-04-2005, 16:55
Just to be different I think I sit in both camps. I think taking an uber unit now and again is fun but all the time is boring. Uber units are hit or miss and usually a big points sink/ one trick pony - all the usual clichés.

I usually vary my army selections, trying never to take the same army twice in a row. In fact, I very rarely play the same list more than about three times, always trying something different. But that's just me.

worldshatterer
22-04-2005, 16:57
A single wraithlord, it cheap and normally the solution to units of doom, especially daemon princes ;) .

If i'm in imperial guard player mode its the 3 plas vet squad in a chimera or the 5 man rough rider squad for cheap nasty kills.

Do any of these qualify as units of d00000000000000m?

Ouroboros
22-04-2005, 17:05
Mt assassin hit squad.

3 deathcultists and an eversor.

Only costs a little over 200 points and if something gets charged by all of them at once it dies.

Best part is it can't be one off killed since it's 4 seperate targets and if need be I can split it up however I want in deployment.

On and 12" infiltrate + Eversor. :D

Beefstick
22-04-2005, 17:06
One of the funnest games I ever played, was one in which my friends and I all took 250 pts and there were no force organization thingies and we just made the most killy thing we could. There were 2 salamander tanks, a carnifex and lictor, a bunch of Tau battlesuits, an ultramarines termy squad, and I took a Bloodangels Librarian with jump pack and a landspeeder. It was a really high powered slugfest! It was nice to try to find more ways to put points into a guy instead of taking them off for a change.

blood angel
22-04-2005, 17:46
Two words..

Death Company

Hell's Angel
22-04-2005, 18:46
Call me old fashoned but Possessed Marines /w mark of Khorne, w/champion w/daemonic str and mutation, and powerfist. (6 powerfist attacks on the charge from a minor character is hillariously alarming.)

x-esiv-4c
22-04-2005, 18:53
I would have to say that a troupe of 3 wraithlords definatly craps all over my day.

General_Xue
22-04-2005, 20:15
A single wraithlord, it cheap and normally the solution to units of doom, especially daemon princes ;) .

Haha! I distinctly remember Daemon Prince Frenesia being shot in the face with a starcannon...

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
22-04-2005, 20:28
My good ol' alpha platoon...60 warm bodies, 5 (2 autocannon, 2 missile launchers, 1 lascannon) heavy weapons, and 2 melta, 2 plasma, and 2 grenade launchers

devolutionary
22-04-2005, 21:42
Chaos Lord with Dark Blade, D Str/Res/Ess/Viss, and a Unit of Possessed Daemonic Vissage, in a Land Raider with a Dirge Caster and Smoke... all to draw fire from the Infiltrating Havocs.

I know, not the best, but it's fluffy, and that is all that really matters to me with my armies :)

the archzealot
22-04-2005, 23:20
20 man zealot squad with 4 eviscerators, boss with evs., lead by a priest with an evs.
This squad has killed twenty rippers swarms in a singel game ,and has also torn many iron warrior gun lines to shreds.

Oh they've also banished a keeper of secrets. :D

Nazguire
23-04-2005, 00:04
20 man zealot squad with 4 eviscerators, boss with evs., lead by a priest with an evs.
This squad has killed twenty rippers swarms in a singel game ,and has also torn many iron warrior gun lines to shreds.

Oh they've also banished a keeper of secrets. :D

Yes, 20x Zealots fully decked out are surpisingly good, especially when you give them all the one-shot flamers (forgot the name lol) and the Eviscerators and Priest with brazzier of holy gire and a couple of flamers. Very good at destroying whatever they are thrown at. ;)

My Killy Unit of Mass Uber Roxx0rs D00m would be my Wolf Lord and Wolf Guard. Not a Daemon Prince of Khorne sure, but still damned good at whatever they go after. Won me many a game

***wanders off into nostalgic memories***

Beefstick
23-04-2005, 05:35
while I have death company available to me, one of my favorite squads, is a veteran assault squad with 2 flamers. I hop up to any squad of liitle thangs, and I toast them with the flamers. If it's big, I hold the shots and just charge. It's a really versatile squad and kills lots no matter what.

glimli
23-04-2005, 06:49
i am partial to my 7 gk termies with gm all in a lrc. they survied literaly 14 darklnce shots over a game only to deploy from the lrc and get steam roled by a tolled de lord with incubi. after the combat my lrc destroyed the remainder of the hq, gotta love the new assault cannons!

Lord of ???
23-04-2005, 09:30
My unit of Choice is a unit of Chosen decked out with Asp Champs with Furious Charge, Dae. Str and a Power Weapon.

That unit can dish out a lot of death.

Especially against Termies or most T4 units.

Brother Munro
23-04-2005, 09:33
I tend not to use uber-killy squads o' doom simply because it isn't my style. However if I wanted to I'd get raven guard, shrike, and shrike's bodyguard of overkill, and go obliterate things because 18" effective move on turn 1 + infiltrate = :D Or if your not using infiltrate a first turn effective move (scout move) of 30". Then something has to deal with a ludicrous number of lightning claw attacks.

Robot 2000
23-04-2005, 11:32
Blue platoon. 4 rocket launchers, 4 grenade launchers, a meltagun and a power sword. And about a zillion lasgun shots :D

Broomstick
23-04-2005, 12:06
The Uber Battlewagon!
2 twin linked big shootas, kannon, and then 5 bolt-on big shootas. Armour plates, Grot riggers, spikes 'n' blades, red paint job.
And if you're going in for the over kill, then you put a mob of 19 Flashgitz with More Dakka, w/ 4 orks with big shootas w/ Nob w/ 'eavy armour and big shoota. Also, put a Big Mek onboard with Mekboy's Tools, 'eavy armour,bionik bonce, cybork body, three grot oilers, power klaw and a Kustom Force Field.
Quite nasty really.

Kzer-Za
23-04-2005, 12:16
I'm gonna go with something a little less obvious than most naming DPs and chappies...

7 Roughriders...
True they are one hit wonders, but with 6" + d6" fleet and 12" assault they get there, and with S5 I5 power weapons they can take down most troops as a counter-assault unit...

And quess what? They're 77 points! I hardly expect them to last longer than one round, but they perform admirably when they do so, and I hardly notice the points I loose... They have yet to fail bringing their points back to me as far as I remember.

Often overlooked, often underestimated, but they do pack a punch!

Fail that, place 4 swooping hawks, exarch with sustained assault and power weapon, and Baharroth in one unit! Once Baharroth took out half a 1500 point dark eldar army alone, including lord and incubi retinue!

Kzer-Za

DivineVisitor
23-04-2005, 12:34
Well when i use my Khorne Army my converted Daemon Prince of Khorne comes into play :)

Daemon Prince
Berzerker Glave, Feel No Pain.
Daemonic Essence, Daemonic Resilence, Daemonic Strength, Daemonic Stature
Sometimes replacing Essence and Strength for Armour and Collar of Khorne.
Furious Charge, Mark of Khorne, Spiky Bits.

This beast attracts a whole load of firepower (thats his job, im using a foot slogging Khorne army!) managed to survive two turns of 1500 points of Space Marines unloading everything at him without losing a single wound, he is a monster when he gets into close combat but not nearly as dangerous as the rest of the army when they get there usually completley intact!
Need to watch out for those Strength 10 weapons though.

TomKamakazi
23-04-2005, 13:34
7 Roughriders...
True they are one hit wonders, but with 6" + d6" fleet and 12" assault they get there, and with S5 I5 power weapons they can take down most troops as a counter-assault unit...

And quess what? They're 77 points! I hardly expect them to last longer than one round, but they perform admirably when they do so, and I hardly notice the points I loose... They have yet to fail bringing their points back to me as far as I remember.

Often overlooked, often underestimated, but they do pack a punch!

Kzer-Za

I played against a guy who had some awsome converted rough riders at Melbourne Conflict, I starcannoned them down in turn one specificaly because of this. (it was a shame to take such nice units off the table so early)
Then, the rest of his army took mine down in two more turns with more lasgun shot than I care to remember, seeing as he was ALL infantry.

But for Uber Killy;
Give me a Solitaire with powerblades and all and a dread mask anyday! Try to beat a sweeping advance on initiative 8!

Jonathan =I=
23-04-2005, 16:03
This is proberly the best unit for pure staying power if you can manage to get it into combat.

1 lord with rez orb and gaze of the flame

10 flayed ones

5 Pariahs

Basically the lord and the Pariahs stand behind the flayed ones and dont get involved in the combat. The Pariahs lower any units leadership down to 7 if they are close enough while the lords gaze of the flame takes this down to leadership 6. The enemy must then pass a leadership test on leadership 6 or face hitting the flayed one on 6s. The res orb helps keep the flayed ones alive if anyone rolls a 6.

Rabid Bunny 666
23-04-2005, 16:13
master of sanctity: lightning claws, artificer armour

5 vets: sarge with power sword
vet with power sword
vet with power fist
2 generic guys

vets have furious charge, munch through units like noones buisness

MoRmEnGiL
24-04-2005, 04:09
easy..captain shrike and his retinue.. :P lightning claws with jump packs,infiltrate and scouts if i remember correctly.beat that :P

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
24-04-2005, 04:38
One of the prettiest things i have ever witnessed was when this guy who plays deathwing assaulted my demolisher yet couldnt kill it so i just sat there (he immobilized me) and killed all except for one and blew up my tank. Oh so beautiful:D

Kzer-Za
24-04-2005, 04:42
True, and I like Shrike personally also, but for a minimum of five space marines it costs at least 379 points, and that's a lot of points for them to try and win back... Admittedly they take down 9,5 marines on average on their charge if I calculated correctly, but... In any event they get there in round one, and buy the rest of your army time to close while they deal with Shrike, and that in itself are also worth a lot of points. The problem is that in 1500 points one battlecannon can take out over a fourth of your army if they get the first turn and you're unlucky.... And since it's what, 3 missions in the book that assures that the attacker begins it may often be a gamble...

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...

Getz
24-04-2005, 19:23
Basically this is just a game for SM's, CSM's and Orks isn't it... Perhaps Eldar.

I think it's to the eternal shame of these lists that people can actually play and win by sinking about half their points allowance into a single unit. Christ, the SM's and CSM's even get a bit of wargear to stop their precious point sink characters dying to high strength.

Shame on you all... ;)

On a IG trip though. Special weapon squad equipped with a Demo charge, two flamers and frag grenades, Laspistol + CCW on the troopers. The Demo charge can (and usually does) kill absolutely everything it hits with brutal efficiency, the flamers just add to the party and the squad can muster 16 attacks and go simultaneously on the charge.

Not that impressive, I'm sure you'll agree, but the lot of the cost only 69 points. I set two of them on a squad of Bloodletters the other day and they wiped them all out to a man. sure I lost a few (though not all) of my men - but to take out a 200+ point unit fully capable of massacring my entire army should they make close combat, they were points well spent.

clarkdobbs112
25-04-2005, 04:19
one word:

cyborks

Praetorian
25-04-2005, 06:59
Has anyone brought up the possibilities with drop podding marines- how about field 3 to 6 dreddies all in pods. Ouch ;) :p How would you like that in behind your lines?

Scabby
27-04-2005, 19:15
A squad of 9 Rubric Terminators, with a Champion with Bolt of Change, Chainfist, Power Axe, Mutation, Demonic Strength, Spiky Bitz, Eye of Tzeentch.

Dead 'ard and killy if I do say so myself. ;)
I second that emotion :)