PDA

View Full Version : Real-life missile weapons in WFB [infotainment!]

anarchistica
24-04-2005, 00:47
There is a discussion about bows/missile weapons on another forum, and someone brought up 'bows in real life', or at least what he thought how they worked in real life. To show he was wrong and to show why "realistic" rules for missile weapons wouldn't work in WFB, i made this list. The ranges are calculated taking 1" in WFB = 10 metres in real life. The rate of fire per turn is per 30 seconds in real life, and assuming the user is fairly well trained.

-Longbow: 18-26" (depending on which historician you stick to, i'd go with 24), S4, -1S vs. heavy/full plate armour, 3 shots per turn, multiple shots (6). Oh, and anyone using a longbow would have S4 (and a deformed back).

-Bows/shortbows*: 10-16", S3, -1S vs. heavy/full plate armour, 3 shots per turn, multiple shots (6).

-Crossbow: 36" (though you can get them as far as 450 metres), S4, 1 shot per turn, must spend a movement phase to reload weapon, no penalty for moving and shooting, +1 to hit when not moving and weapon is steadied on a shield, wall or something similar.

-Handgun: 5-8" (not kidding!), S4, armour piercing, +1S vs. full plate armour, 1 shot per turn, must spend a movement phase to reload weapon, no penalty for moving and shooting, +1 to hit when not moving and weapon is steadied on a shield, wall or something similar.

-Repeater Crossbow: 2-6", S3, additional -1 to hit for moving and shooting, multiple shots (30) when not moving and weapon is steadied on a shield, wall or something similar. Before firing the multiple shots, roll a D6; On a 2+, it's ok, on a 1 the weapon suffers from a misfire and can't fire this turn.

*=Vague area, it's basically the same thing in warhammer, as composite bows don't exist.
_ _ _ _ _

Can you imagine the look on your opponent's face when you inform him your 10 Dark Elf Warriors with rxb's fire 300 shots per turn? :eek: :D

Elyas
24-04-2005, 04:08
I think the appendix at the back of the rulebook touches on this topic, explaining how if everything were exactly to scale, bows would really reach around 144" or so, which would make the game very difficult to play... (although I suspect shooty armies would be quite pleased :D )

m1s1n
24-04-2005, 22:17
I think certain elements of realism are always sacrificed for playability. Another example is the discussion about Strength not really being raw physical power, but a model's ability to wound. Certain aspects require a large amount of imagination to accept, otherwise things become no fun. Just try and find excuses to justify it in playability. For me range does not necessarilly reflect maximum distances, but distances that Joe Soldier can shoot and reload with accurecy. Imagination is the key aspect that allows these changes for playability to work.

Crazy Harborc
25-04-2005, 00:25
"Just like the real thing" games/rules/etc., at least ones I have seen, tend to be LONG in playing time needed. Some were boring as well. K.I.S.S.....keep it simple stupid is a good rule of thumb to keep a game moving and with as little convoluted rules as possible.