PDA

View Full Version : UK Conflicts Reduced to three Events

Col.Gravis
07-11-2005, 13:27
Well this is bad news IMHO, there are only three Conflicts planned for the 2006 season, London, Manchester & Glasgow (dates an venues to be confirmed). To me this is very disappointing, for one thing it leaves the South West totally unsupported in the absense of Conflict Bristol which in my mind has been a superb and very well run event, especially when compaired to say London.

GW may well recieve less dissatisfied attendees, but only in the first instance because the number of people able to access these events is gonna be much reduced. Bad news.

Fallen Angel
08-11-2005, 07:47
yeah it sucks big time but apparently they weren't making any money on them and were actually losing money on most conflicts.

The other thing about conflicts is that they're going to be doubles tournaments rather than singles.

Col.Gravis
08-11-2005, 09:48
Believe it or not they wer'nt run for profit lol, but if they were actively losing money on them (which I must admit I struggle to believe in some cases - Bristol for example was heaving) I guess thats fair reasoning.

Ive been in contact with Brian from events, they will be reviewing conflicts again depending on success this year. More worryingly he was quite vague about the capacity of the reduced number of events - its down to the local organisers which rings alarm bells in my head - though I suppose given a doubles format it will effectively double the participants at any one event.

Well we shall see.

Flame
08-11-2005, 10:07
You'll have Slayer day again, in Northampton. Isn't that a conflict?

Bruen
08-11-2005, 12:16
Hobby days at WHW have been cancelled totally and Campaign Weekends are down to one per system per year.

Col.Gravis
09-11-2005, 14:54
If Northampton is an Official run Conflict I suspect it'll be no more either though by the sounds of it thats run as a club event also? If thats the case it may be okay.

Apparently the Event Team is now an Events um pair, theres two of them, its a real shame that their reducing their organised events support, personnly speaking its this thats kept me in hobby lately, sounds like their expecting the various gaming clubs to fill the void but I cant say I see that happening any time soon, case in point the South West Region, previouslly supported by Conflict Bristol and now nada, I'm not personnly aware of any significant club run events anywhere in the region. And if there are infact events here and I'm mistaken (which Honestly I'd welcome) well, no publicity.

Insane Psychopath
09-11-2005, 15:21
What day is the Scottich one????

Also do you not mean Edibrught??? Just Conflict in Scotland since 2001 have been held in Edibrugh, they mainly been run in the Corn... somthing since 2003.

Can we have more info please

Thanks

IP

Flame
09-11-2005, 16:34
The bristol biguns put on several events a year in Iron Acton, which is just of J14 of the M5.

Not much further north and cheltenham warhchiefs are doing a tournament in december, and further stil (but not that far- up the M5) the trollslayers still do whoops each year.

Crazy Harborc
09-11-2005, 19:02
Cutbacks on this side of the Pond too. It's supposed to be a way to keep payroll costs down. I guess GW suits bought into it too.

IMHO, it's also a way to not sell what would have been sold at an event. That saves money:eek: Really they don't have to crank out minies to replace what they used to sell at those other(now cancelled/unscheduled for 06) events.

Um......GW used to point out that their prices helped to allow GW to hold events for their customers Does this mean the prices will go down:p

Bruen
09-11-2005, 19:07
Talking to the UK events guys any sales at events are not credited to the events budget - they go to the store at Warhammer World. The same is true for Forgeworld and Bugmans.

The events only get money in from the ticket price.

Crazy Harborc
09-11-2005, 20:24
Well, it is GW's bookkeeping system. They can credit the cash registers somewhere else. The money is collected, the credit card slips are signed at the events while the public is attending/playing/shopping "there".

IMHO, I think it all has more to do with less employees to man the events and work at their regular positions in the stores/factory/whatever. Over heree that IS what happen with several not held as usual events. Too many hours for the workers to cover.

Col.Gravis
10-11-2005, 08:27
Ah ha! Thankyou Flame, first time I've heard of well two of those three having come across the Troll Slayers before, any idea on the scale of those events? Two dozen players or more? I'll dig around the net later for info but if you've got any web address (or anything) where I can get mroe details I'd be greatful as I'm sure would others :)

geoffkemp
10-11-2005, 08:39
Afor the Campagin weekends, I`m pretty sure htye had two for 40k scheduled in, one in May ands one in nov again, when UI was up there lasty time in May for the Badab one. This was posted on a notice board in WW.

Edit : Looking at the Events pageo n the UK GW site, they have oen for Nov `05 (sabbat wars), one WHFB one in Jan of `06 and one scheduled for 40k in May of `06. In refernce to the staff issue, they have taken to running them with the input of GCN people (volenteers ?? ) so I guess they may have found a work around for the staffing issues. From a fiscal PoV it would make more sense to keep events in the hall goinf for as long as possible. The hall still required money to run wether it is being used or not by an event.

Bruen
10-11-2005, 09:27
As for the Campagin weekends, I`m pretty sure htye had two for 40k scheduled in, one in May ands one in nov again, when UI was up there lasty time in May for the Badab one. This was posted on a notice board in WW.

I was talking to Brian Adeson (Events team manager I think) on Saturday and he told me that there would only be one Campaign Weekend per system per year from now on and no Hobby Days. This was for the reasons that I have already outlined (ticket sales not coverning the costs and he thinks that the content of Hobby Days is replicated at Conflict so they are redundant).

I guess that this is per GW financial year but I didn't think to ask.

geoffkemp
10-11-2005, 10:54
Well I can`t see how canclling events will make more of a loss than the Hall remaining empty.

Bruen
10-11-2005, 12:23
Well I can`t see how canclling events will make more of a loss than the Hall remaining empty.

I assume because the hall being empty doesn't count against the Events budget, while all the extra staff needed does.

Flame
17-11-2005, 11:32
www.biguns.co.uk for the brawl. I warn you that if you want to go you'd better get your entries in sharpish! Still one of the best tournaments of the year IMO, I love it! Saturday night in the local hotel where everyone stays is fantastic as well. Usually around 40 players.

www.players-society.com for more general information on tournaments. If you van make it up to nottingham there are limitless supplies of one dayers and weekend events. this weekend I'm going the WPSGT, a 100 player event held in a hotel with accomodation provided. The club challenge is also held here, and the First company vets hold three tournaments a year in warhamster world. As well as the obvious heats/gts.

Any more specific questions let me know!

Insane Psychopath
17-11-2005, 18:07
Just in case you lot do not know. The UK Conflict event will be made into the double tournament eg: 40k in 40min but as doubles (800pts).

The reason

Thanks for the email.

Conflict 2006 is changing format somewhat from previous years. We cannot confirm the locations and dates at this time as no contracts for venues have been signed at this time. However, I can confirm that the format for all three systems will be shifting to the highly popular Doubles format.

The reasons for the change are quite complex in detail, but boil down to a few key points:

- Firstly, customer feedback has indicated that Doubles is the most popular form of start-out tournament show. As the Conflicts have always been aimed at the aspiring tournament player, rewarding winners in previous years with free entry into the Grand Tournament Heats, the change was felt to be a good hobby decision.

- Secondly, staff feedback indicated that the Hobby Centre teams who run the show were stretched too thin to maintain the 7 planned shows in 2005. Listening to those who have to make the shows the best they can be told us that it would be far better to try and produce 3 excellent shows in key locations in the UK than to try and spread twice as many less-well managed shows across the country.

- In addition, the shows cost quite a lot to run and the customer attendances at all but 2 of the shows were less than hoped. Customer feedback again indicated that the events were not as well run as they might have been and were competing with other GW and club-run shows. These factors have led to most of the locations not being viable for our objective of breaking even on our costs. In short, if people don't come we can't run a show.

- Finally the feeling was that, given how many shows we run at Nottingham with some 1300+ competitors being served by the Grand Tournaments, the need for Conflict shows was in the less show-filled parts of the nation. It has indeed been noted that the original Scottish show and the London show were very important to the circuit. Choosing the last location has to have been the hardest decision faced by the Hobby Centre team, but ultimately the key decision will need to be influenced by footfall at previous shows.

Regarding your feelings on Doubles, the format places TWO smaller armies on the table side-by-side and allows for a considerably more social tournament atmosphere - something that was always at the heart of Jervis' vision for our tournaments. For example, in Warhammer, you would be playing with 1000 points on the table at the Warhammer Doubles in Nottingham. I imagine the format will be similiar.

As I mentioned earlier it's a show format that, although regarded with suspicion at first, has become our single most successful line of tournaments in the UK with intensely positive feedback for two years now. We'd hope that hobbyists might be tempted to at least grab a friend and give it a go!

I hope all of that helps - of course, the decisions made are out of my hands but I will certainly ensure that the Hobby Centre teams (who manage their Conflict shows) receive any feedback that UK Events receives relating to Conflicts.

If you do decide to go I wish you all the very best! If not, then perhaps you will come to Nottingham and enjoy a romping large-point game at the premier Grand Tournament of your choice!

Cheers
Che

marv335
18-11-2005, 20:33
What day is the Scottich one????

Also do you not mean Edibrught??? Just Conflict in Scotland since 2001 have been held in Edibrugh, they mainly been run in the Corn... somthing since 2003.

Can we have more info please

Thanks

IP

the scottish conflict is definetly in glasgow this year.
not edinburgh

starlight
18-11-2005, 20:36
<subscribes to remember to come back later and post inside scoop related stuff>

mortus
19-11-2005, 16:26
Sad day.

I was so looking forward to watching Col Gravis ;) yo yo up and down the tables at Bristol next year.

They've done it again, quick fix to save money and let themselves down royally in the process.

Lets hope some one at GW has figured out what P.P.P.P.P.P. means and the Tournaments and after care are better than this years. But I doubt it.....

To all you lot that attended Bristol over the last couple years have a good one.

Insane Psychopath
20-11-2005, 08:53
the scottish conflict is definetly in glasgow this year.
not edinburgh

Yep I got a e-mail from them about that. It might be held in the SECC.

It is a bad day, I was really looking forward to a 1000pts game, hell I was even getting my new Ork army ready for this... but now it a double as said in that e-mail I posted up.

I'll still got but as a none gamer, also they might be selling new City Fight stuff, but that not 100%.

Ticket for gamers are 40 (20 each as it 2 player) & 10 for none gamers.

I think I'll just go & buy stuff, new stuff & forge world stuff.

Fallen Angel
21-11-2005, 14:13

20 each!!!! hmm might have to give that a miss.

Insane Psychopath
21-11-2005, 17:54
Fallen Angel Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Psychopath

20 each!!!! hmm might have to give that a miss.

I am with you on that FA.

Just I really hate small games & find them boring as you do not get to use a proper army. I preffer the good old 1500pts army +.

IP

neXus6
21-11-2005, 17:59
There is no way in hell I'm going to Glasgow.
The fact that conflict was another chance to get back to my home town was one of the main reasons I went to conflict last year.
And I was planning on playing this year...Not any more. A doubles tourney. Bah what rubbish, just an excuse for 2 people to take equaly beardy armies with duplicate magic items.

Well this is crap. :mad:

Col.Gravis
22-11-2005, 11:28
lol just once if I could get three massacres instead of 2 and a massacred! oh well now it may never be :(

Might venture upto Conflict Manchester, have to wait an see, otherwise time to go have a look at the club run events in the area I guess, somehow they just odnt hold the same appeal tho :-/