PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Lords

Fay_Redd
04-09-2008, 09:20
Hello Warseer.

How do you use yours, thats the question here today, how do you use your lord if you have one.

Do you go with Termie Armour, do you bike him, do you give him wings/jumpack.

i personally ATM have gone with Termie Armour and Combi-Weapon this makes him nice and cheap and still pretty nasty.

I also have an alternate motive to this post and that is to get you lot to go look and comment on my Project Log, its been up for a day now and no-one has said anything. http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161036 right then, reply to my above question then go and check out my log, C&C welcome.

Whitehorn
04-09-2008, 09:33
I'm a bit disillusioned by the Lords. I prefer a Sorcerer or Daemon Prince usually - for the likes of warptime / wind / lash or such.

The only time I'd take a Lord right now is for the Tzeentch Daemon Weapon, or possibly a Slaannesh one if facing Orks to assassinate a possible Warboss.

Combi-weapons are great - use them wherever you can: Rhinos, Terminators etc.

EDIT: I read your log - Tzeentch! Read my above comment on Daemon Weapon ;)

the-skylord
04-09-2008, 09:34
Well i normally take a lord in termie armour and a daemon weapon. However this makes for a slow lord, he doesnt normally make it into combat. So more recently i've been taking a lord with wings and a daemon weapon, this way he gets into combat alot quicker!

Moress
04-09-2008, 09:39
Well my WARSMITH =) usually runs around in terminator armour with combi Melta and undivided Daemon Weapon. He also deep strikes with his body gaurd of five termies.

I like to run combi melta on his since i personally think it's the best use of his BS5, and having plasma and a daemon weapon, you would be surprised how quickly you can hurt yourself between the two.

Another reason I like to run my Warsmith in termie armour is it makes his daemonweapon much cheaper, and same with the combi metla gun.

If you plan to footslog a lord, then just buy him termie armour since all the options get cheaper that way.

adreal
04-09-2008, 09:46
I run mine with steed of slaanesh and blissgiver, pretty cheap and does alot of damage. Yes he only has a 3+ save, but the steed gives him another attack and makes him stupidly fast, seems to work nicely

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
04-09-2008, 09:55
Jump Pack and Daemon Weapon - without mark. But i play highly mobile force.

You must note, that said lord is overpriced and much less powerful than DP or even sorcerer.

BruderLoras
04-09-2008, 10:09
Mark of Tzeentch, demonic steed (read: disc with lotsa spiky bits) and a demon weapon. sometimes a combimelta if I can spare the points. Is accompanied by a raptor squad. Not cheap, but gets into combat real fast and usually kicks plenty of heads in - just have to remember to move him out of the squad in the turn I'm charging. Nothing more embarassing than rolling a one and keeping everybody from doing anything...

CthulhuDalek
04-09-2008, 10:12
Mark of Tzeentch, demonic steed (read: disc with lotsa spiky bits) and a demon weapon. sometimes a combimelta if I can spare the points. Is accompanied by a raptor squad. Not cheap, but gets into combat real fast and usually kicks plenty of heads in - just have to remember to move him out of the squad in the turn I'm charging. Nothing more embarassing than rolling a one and keeping everybody from doing anything...

Why use the combimelta when you are spending those points for his shooty daemon weapon?

He'd be better with meltabombs, no?

BruderLoras
04-09-2008, 10:50
I sometimes give him the combi melta beacuse the raptor squad he accompanies has two meltas as well, and I have had situations were the third tank-killer shot really made a difference. Besides, if I am about to charge terminators or other extremely tough guys, it is nice to be able to soften 'em up with a couple of high-strength AP 1 shots first. The demon weapon shooting is great, but better suited to softer, more numerous targets.

Bigbot
04-09-2008, 10:56
Which one? I have 6 :D

1. Termie lord with lightning claws and personal icon
2. Lord with power fist, melta bombs and personal icon
3. Lord with power weapon and personal icon
4. Lord with Mark of nurgle and power fist
5. Kharn the betrayer
6. Demon Prince with doombolt and teleport (counts as wings)

Fay_Redd
04-09-2008, 11:08
@ Bigbot

how do you use your power fist nurgle lord, im incredibly interested in that. do tell.

Earthbeard
04-09-2008, 12:24
Tend to slap my guy in Terminator armour. Weapons load out varies, but was a great fan of the man-reaper.

I'd developed some kind of deep seeded pathological hatred of Daemon Princes, and mostly playing nurgle and death guard, jump/wing lords just don't gel with me.

Sami
04-09-2008, 12:39
khorne lord, power armour, jump pack and daemon weapon, attached to a squad of raptors with an icon of khorne.

Madfool2
04-09-2008, 13:04
It has to be terminator armour and claws, cheap and can do some damage.

Mercer
04-09-2008, 13:32
Lord in termy armour with twin linked bolter and daemon weapon, however, a daemon prince is cheaper, tougher, immune to instant death and can take psychic power.

Mercer

LordFulgrim
04-09-2008, 13:44
For small battles I use a Lord with jump pack/claws in a Raptor squad and for bigger games I put in him Terminator armour/Daemon weapon in a terminator squad. I love the extra Initiative for Slaanesh and want to make good use of it.

IronNerd
04-09-2008, 14:10
Termie armor and a daemon weapon. I'm doing it for a more fluffy option for tourneys, and he tends to roll rediculous amounts of attacks...

The_Warsmith
04-09-2008, 14:14
my warsmith has MOT (count as bionics) and a daemon weapon (count as servo harness)

i have a shooty army so he sits back for a few turns but is then used to take down anything that threatens my gunline or joins my objective capturing units after i've thinned the enemy down and can offer little resistance

Ambu
04-09-2008, 14:19
After too many instant deaths, I have to agree with Taerij!! For the points you spend its so sad when an one lascannon shot or an orc w/ a power claw kills him out right if he doesn't save. If I do get him I mark him w/ Tzeentch to increase his survivability by giving him a 50/50 invuln save.

I much perfer to spend the points on a Prince or a Sorceror!

toymaker
04-09-2008, 14:23
I have several

Khorne Daemon Prince
Nurgle Daemon Prince
Khorne Terminator Lord
Nurgle Terminator Lord with Melta and Chain Fist
Lord with Jump pack with Plasma and Powerfist
Lord mounted on Bike with Plasma and power fist

xragg
04-09-2008, 14:33
I dont like the DP as much as I used to since you cant hide him anymore. I have been using infantry HQ more lately and usually just 1 HQ. Abaddon has been making my list alot lately leading a squad of nurgle marines. I also rarely use lords (sorceror or nothing) since another squad of marines can dish out more attacks, take more wounds, and not vary too much in the base statline for similar points (plus hold objectives).

edward3h
04-09-2008, 14:36
I mostly use a Daemon Prince with wings now.

I started my Chaos army under the old 3rd ed codex, and at that point I used to use a Lord with plasma pistol and power weapon, who would join a marine squad in their Rhino. Under 3.5 codex I used him the same way as a Lieutenant since I appreciated dropping the points and getting more troops.

In the most recent codex this doesn't work so well because I have to take a 9 man squad to give him room in the Rhino, and then they lose a special weapon slot. Also since the Lieutenant was dropped he costs more points again, and the value seems better for the Daemon Prince.

I have a spare Lord model with big sword and combi-melta, but I've never used him.

Askari
04-09-2008, 14:38
Tzeentch Terminator Lord with Deathscreamer Daemon Weapon.
That's it really.

I like mine Sorcerers. =)

Commissar Bob
04-09-2008, 17:14
This seems like the perfect thread to ask for advice on Lord loadouts.

I recently picked up the Terminator Lord box for a ridiculously cheap price. (About $10) and was wondering what I should equip him with.

My original idea was to give him twin lightning claws, a combi-flamer and MOK. But that doesn't seem possible. :(

Then I thought about maybe a lightning claw and chainfist, but also does not seem legal.

So now I am at something of a loss as it seems that unless I give him a risky daemon weapon or paired lightning claws, I will be relying on a measly 3 attacks which doesn't seem very effective for the points cost.

So any additional advice on terminator lord loadouts would be great.

Thanks to all.

CthulhuDalek
04-09-2008, 17:51
I sometimes give him the combi melta beacuse the raptor squad he accompanies has two meltas as well, and I have had situations were the third tank-killer shot really made a difference. Besides, if I am about to charge terminators or other extremely tough guys, it is nice to be able to soften 'em up with a couple of high-strength AP 1 shots first. The demon weapon shooting is great, but better suited to softer, more numerous targets.

When he is mounted with the rapt squad, then, he may as well have the combi melta and say-- a regular power weapon then?

Supremearchmarshal
04-09-2008, 18:04
This seems like the perfect thread to ask for advice on Lord loadouts.

I recently picked up the Terminator Lord box for a ridiculously cheap price. (About $10) and was wondering what I should equip him with.

My original idea was to give him twin lightning claws, a combi-flamer and MOK. But that doesn't seem possible. :(

Then I thought about maybe a lightning claw and chainfist, but also does not seem legal.

So now I am at something of a loss as it seems that unless I give him a risky daemon weapon or paired lightning claws, I will be relying on a measly 3 attacks which doesn't seem very effective for the points cost.

So any additional advice on terminator lord loadouts would be great.

Thanks to all.

I'd stick with the Lightning claws - there's not much point in giving a combi-flamer to a lord, since flamers are unaffected by BS - give it to another terminator instead. Power Fists and Chainfists make him go last, so I'd avoid them too.

As for the Mark, all of them are useful, but IMO the best ones are Khorne (extra attack is always good, especially with Lightning Claws) or Slaanesh (allows him to strike before almost all opponents). However, I'd also make sure the Lord fits the theme of your army - having a Khorne lord leading an army of Noise Marines is very much against the fluff!

You could also give him a personal icon if you have a lot of Deep striking troops (and if the lord doesn't deep strike himself!).

BruderLoras
04-09-2008, 22:33
When he is mounted with the rapt squad, then, he may as well have the combi melta and say-- a regular power weapon then?
A regular power weapon does not do what the demon weapon does. ;)
Seriously, I realize this is not the most effective build for a chaos HQ, but he makes his points back almost every time (so far with 2 exceptions), has the potential to kill anything on the board and is FAST. What can I say? He works. Very well. At least for me and so far.
Besides, he is Lord Morgrim. Lord Morgrim likes toys that cook tanks. AND shooty demon swords. YOU go and try to talk him out of one of those. :D

Askari
04-09-2008, 22:38
My original idea was to give him twin lightning claws... and MOK. But that doesn't seem possible. :(

That one.

Nice, cheap[ish], and has 6 power weapon attacks with re-rolls to wound. Lovely.

CthulhuDalek
04-09-2008, 22:41
A regular power weapon does not do what the demon weapon does. ;)
Seriously, I realize this is not the most effective build for a chaos HQ, but he makes his points back almost every time (so far with 2 exceptions), has the potential to kill anything on the board and is FAST. What can I say? He works. Very well. At least for me and so far.
Besides, he is Lord Morgrim. Lord Morgrim likes toys that cook tanks. AND shooty demon swords. YOU go and try to talk him out of one of those. :D

His combi melta is most effective at half range--6 inches.

If he is this close and does not destroy the tank, he could have melta bombs instead, cheaper, and he gets to use them more than once in the game.

He can not shoot and gets to have toys(be it on a belt) that cooks tanks.

And yes, a power sword is not as good as a demon weapon... but it's cheaper and does not risk killing him! aha. So I'd say the best way to go with him is--combimelta/powerweapon or demonweapon/melta bombs. Saves him a lot of trouble if you ask me.

BruderLoras
04-09-2008, 23:13
I see what you mean, but the point is: a meltabomb is a grenade, and so will not be able to hit some targets (read: walkers) reliably. With his high BS, on the other hand, he only needs a 2+ to place his one meltashot right. I find a good opportunity to shoot of the melta almost every game, and put it in the same category as hunter/killer missiles (except I don't use those in my IG). And I almost never need more than one shot anyway. If he doesn't destroy his target, he'll shrug and slap some infantry instead. It's not like he's the only AT in the list. I just like to have him equipped in a way that can handle everything.
Concerning the demon weapon: the demon weapon is indispensable. It makes for some of the most fun moments when both my opponent and me stare at the "additional attacks"-die, followed by appropriate emotional outbursts. And if I roll well, Senor Chaos dishes out about a dozen power weapon attacks at WS 6. I quite like that. Besides, I converted the guy to carry Abbadons sword - that chunk of steel is just too big to be a mere powersword. ;-)

Adra
04-09-2008, 23:26
Jumpack, Melta-bombs, combi-melta, mark of khorne, deamon weapon and thats it.

Makes for a scary flanking unit....how many atatcks was that???!!??

FunkyRatDemon
05-09-2008, 00:34
For my Word Bearers I run 2 Lords
Lord1: Wings, Combi-Melta, Daemon Weapon, Personal Icon
Lord2: Terminator Armour, Combi-Melta, Daemon Weapon, Personal Icon

Unmarked is my favorite way to go, the S5 helps soooooo much vs MEQs, Personal Icons are great on the Winged Lord to allow easy Daemon summoning on T2 (after he runs...)

In my Emperor's Children army I used to run a Lord on Steed w/ Blissgiver, but a Lash Prince is soooo much better

Kissaholic
05-09-2008, 00:35
I just give mine bike and deamon weapon nothing can really touch him un less its a powerfist he eats at MEQ they need 4's and 5's he need 3' and 3's its nice.

Amnar
05-09-2008, 00:41
My Lord uses Terminator armour and Blissgiver. He's slow, but he rolls around in a Land Raider so he always sees combat. He also rides around with 4 buddies in terminator armour (mostly budget ones with power weapons and combi weapons). Makes for a pretty hard hitting unit.

grizzly ruin
05-09-2008, 03:53
However, I'd also make sure the Lord fits the theme of your army - having a Khorne lord leading an army of Noise Marines is very much against the fluff!

Enter the magic of counts as and modelling.

Seriously, the developers put no restrictions on bits of background affecting overall army mechanics (in fact they went out of their way to cut all of that out of the codex).

It's in the codex, feel free to use it.

MrBigMr
05-09-2008, 04:09
I don't know if mine counts as it's made via SM rules (used to be with the old CSM codex until GW screwed me over). By fluff the lord has terminator armour, twin claws and a sonic blaster. By rules it just has a claw and a storm bolter.