PDA

View Full Version : bret hearldry

craskie666
04-09-2008, 16:24
is having all the same hearldy on your knights/peasants good or not?

as it can look good having different hearldry on each knight but takes so long

so i am after different opinions

Rolo Ramone
04-09-2008, 16:47
if you are going to do a thematic army (an army of Līanguile, for example ) then itīs ok.

I usually prefer to mix different heraldy for my knights and choose the heraldy of my general or maybe a hero for the peaseant.

Zoolander
04-09-2008, 17:17
All my peasants have the general's heraldry. The knights are all different.

Anaxagoras
04-09-2008, 17:42
I three different noble house all under one Lord. Each unit has the heraldry of a different house, while the knights mix it together in their respective units...

Of course...this is for a fallen realm that are all vampires now...

Malorian
04-09-2008, 17:56
I think they look better when they are all the same.

I only plan to paint my grail knights differently.

Sir Charles
04-09-2008, 18:18
Once I get around to painting my knights I plan on painting each with its own hearldry and the shields on the horses in a unifying emblem for the army to represent their membership in my lords crusade.

Tarax
05-09-2008, 06:52
It depends on your own personal taste.

I like uniformed troops. The more the better.

But with Bretonnia I've tried different things. First I went for all different heraldry. But I came to find that it was not what I wanted. Although I had no problem with painting different heraldry all the time. In the end I opted for a single colour and different emblems on that.

Bregalad
05-09-2008, 07:50
Every knight has his own heraldry fluffwise. They might be variations of a parent heraldry (with strict rules for 1st born, 2nd born, etc), but that is uncommon. Would do knights differently and troops fitting their knights heraldry.

Duke Georgal
05-09-2008, 23:56
All of my knights have indvidual heraldry. I have no peasents.

I strictly followed the guidelines for heraldry as laid out in the 5th edition Bretonnian army book. I strongly recommend this approach to everyone.

Look on eBay for the older book. It is worth the 10-15 bucks it will cost you.

-Kevin

shadowtemplar16
06-09-2008, 01:23
look back at history of how they did it in the medieval period.

from what i can remember each knight had his own heraldry, the only time i can think of knights looking the same was when they all went off to the crusades.

Condottiere
06-09-2008, 02:02
The more lineage the knight and his family has, the more complex the personal heraldry.

badgeraddict
06-09-2008, 09:50
My Bretonnian knights ALL have different Heraldry.

Each unit carries the 'unit champion's' flag however.

It looks amazing!

Mireadur
07-09-2008, 10:36
To give the army some uniformity better use the same scheme for all the peasants while keeping individualized heraldries for the knights.

However you could use the same group of colours (though with different heraldry) on each unit of errant knights to represent they all come from the same region (in the 5th ed bretonnian book said something about them using the colours from their ducad (sp?) and grouping up when going to battle.

Briohmar
07-09-2008, 18:05
I did the different heraldry and color schemes way back, but I have slowly been repainting them to a more uniformed appearance. All the knights of one lance have blue and either white or yellow, but each is in a different pattern. the same for the red and black lances. The only ones who are still a mish mash of colors are the grailies, but that seems appropriate to me. The General's livery is black and yellow, so the majority of the peasants wear that, but the BSB is blue and yellow, so one unit of Archers wears his colors. In the end, its how you want it, but for me, this way looks better on the table, rather than a clashing eyesore of colors all grouped together in a lance.

09-09-2008, 20:10
I kept mine all the same. I started with everyone looking different but I wasnt impressed with the "charging rainbow of doom" look I got so I went to all the same. it turns out they were a crusaiding army that went settled in the boarder princes. (thats why I have Empire knights as knight errents they just wornt good enough :D)