PDA

View Full Version : Space Marines or Orcs?

Sidorio
05-09-2008, 08:01
i've got money to spend and i've been inspired by the tale of 4 gamers... so this means i want to get a new army... the only issue is that i can't pick between the green bullies known as Orcs :evilgrin: or the new Space Marines, and make them the White Scars 3rd Company :skull:(i'd start getting tactical squads etc.). so i want all of your opinions on what i should get.:D
also i'll probably buy Battle for Black Reach so i could pick either (also it gives me new rules and models)

p.s. if i don't like what you have to say... i'll return to fantasy

centy
05-09-2008, 08:32
well i would suggest you fing out if any of your friends are getting the set and if so will they swap one set with you.
This will give you a decnt size force for little cash.
things to note, orcs had a nex dex not long ago.
marines get a new dex in october.
either are good armies to play how ever if you decide on orcs then you need to like painting lots of green.
to me 40k feels more fluid less ordered.

Lord Solar Plexus
05-09-2008, 08:34
i can't pick between the green bullies known as Orcs :evilgrin: or the new Space Marines

The two games play completely differently. Both WFB and 40k can be alot of fun but some players enjoy the greater freedom of movement, some prefer the 'tactical' nature of maneouvering in Fantasy.

also i'll probably buy Battle for Black Reach so i could pick either (also it gives me new rules and models)

How are you going to convert the Orks that come with AoBR to Orcs?

ernest101
05-09-2008, 08:35
why not buy AOBR and play both? lol... just a suggestion... it really depends on your playing style, tbh i would go for orks, space marines does not have the chance to play a horde army where as orks you can play both horde and non horde army(expensive troop choices such as warbikers, nobz and meganobz), fancy boss which comes for different type of boyz... tbh i see orks has flavor, but it wont hurt you playing white scars either...

Moriarty
05-09-2008, 08:37
Go green - it's the thing to do these days. :-)

And if you decide they're not for you, just send them to me and I'll give them a good home!

See? A win-win situation!

Nicha11
05-09-2008, 08:38
Play a few tests armies with both armies and see what you like.

Both are good choices with orks being more about numbers and combat, And Marines being outnumbered but elite.

On a side note you might cop some flak if you play SM because some players dislike them.

Night_watchman
05-09-2008, 08:41
If you used to play chaos space marines (checked your profile for that one) why don’t you try the orcs, trust me I have just started to collect orcs and they are a really good laugh.
I would still check the codex’s for each race and read the fluff that’s what I normally do to help me decide.

Ambu
05-09-2008, 08:51
Hmmmmm, I would homestly wait till the new codex to make a final decision but Orcs are brutal especially when you get in higher point games.

Sidorio
06-09-2008, 01:14
On a side note you might cop some flak if you play SM because some players dislike them.

yeah, i know that, people at my club have heard the new rules and they have been dubbed swiss cheese. also alot of people at my club play space marines (Ultramarines and Space Puppies).

If you used to play chaos space marines (checked your profile for that one) why don’t you try the orcs, trust me I have just started to collect orcs and they are a really good laugh.

true, i do play chaos:angel: and a change would be good... from mean to mean and green. it might be fun to try something different, i'm starting to get a bit tired of my lord dancing around killing squads on his lonesome with his daemon weapon (he actually took out an entire IG army on his own:skull: ), people also now fear his blade way too much.

Templar Ben
06-09-2008, 01:39
Do you mean Orks instead of Orcs?

Sidorio
06-09-2008, 03:22
yeah, sorry about that. its just i play both fantasy and 40k... and its orcs in fantasy so i'm used to that spelling

Templar Ben
06-09-2008, 03:37
No worries but I think it confused people.

Orcs and orks play very differently. There are some rules in common but orks are not nearly as random.

Sidorio
06-09-2008, 04:08
good thing too, you should see my luck with animosity rolls when i use orcs... its only ever 1's and 6's.
please tell me that orks don't have animosity (don't know, hope they don't)

Hicks
06-09-2008, 04:13
They don't and they are very competitive in 40K.

AngryAngel
06-09-2008, 05:34
Go Marines, everyone will hate you but you'll have a nice army once the new codex comes out.

Colonel Kolm
06-09-2008, 05:37
why not go both, i have. get the AoBR box set and figure out which one you like more both have their merits and the best i think you could do is try them both out, worst is you like them both and have a good beginning to each army

cleansingfury
06-09-2008, 05:51
Go marines! I have read the new codex and it did not get worse! It got WWAAYY better! The white scars are beautiful to use and I will tell you get 3 Land Raider Crusaders or Redeemers for your transports because you will not regret it when going white scars!

Nicha11
06-09-2008, 06:02
Go marines! I have read the new codex and it did not get worse! It got WWAAYY better! The white scars are beautiful to use and I will tell you get 3 Land Raider Crusaders or Redeemers for your transports because you will not regret it when going white scars!

So Marines got better? "great" why does the Space Marine Codex need an update?

The Imperial Guard, Necrons, Deamon hunters and Dark Eldar are all in greater need of update.

cleansingfury
06-09-2008, 06:11
So Marines got better? "great" why does the Space Marine Codex need an update?

The Imperial Guard, Necrons, Deamon hunters and Dark Eldar are all in greater need of update.

While I do FULLY agree with you GW uses a big blue pony to get kids to play, this pony is marines... expect the new codexs to be meaner then ever.

Sidorio
06-09-2008, 06:47
if any more of you are going to winge about the cheese of the SM, do it in someone elses thread. thanks

now back to the point... what bonus is there for taking land raiders as transports when your white scars?

cleansingfury
06-09-2008, 07:31
if any more of you are going to winge about the cheese of the SM, do it in someone elses thread. thanks

now back to the point... what bonus is there for taking land raiders as transports when your white scars?

They can use the outflank rules. You put a squad with outflank in the land raider they gain out flank on the transport thanks to the White Scars guy. So let us say there is a unit of honour guard or whatever in that land raider you get an epic side charge! Then follow them up with rhinos or razorbacks full of troops for the objectives.

ChaosBeast
06-09-2008, 10:48
They can use the outflank rules. You put a squad with outflank in the land raider they gain out flank on the transport thanks to the White Scars guy. So let us say there is a unit of honour guard or whatever in that land raider you get an epic side charge! Then follow them up with rhinos or razorbacks full of troops for the objectives.

:cheese:

u could do that, apart from it would be heresy against the white scars stategies. i would say, go orks. we dont need another marine player in the world, and orks r just as competitive

Sidorio
06-09-2008, 11:17
yeah, there are a few space marine players... and as i'm unemployed i don't have the money to buy that many land raiders or the skill to put them together. i've been playing for 5 years and have never put together anything bigger than a minotaur.

Straha
08-09-2008, 03:33
Build both. I've purchased 3 AoBR sets and am building Orks and Marines. It is nice to have two armies so when you're tired of playing one, the other is there waiting for you.