PDA

View Full Version : DOW Pikemen unit size?

Templar47
05-09-2008, 17:54
Hey. After playing 2 games with my DOW (both minor victories :D), I relized that I need help fielding my pikemen in a better formations. After getting a ton of DOW minatures and in the process of rebuilding hem, I've been currently fielding 2 units of 20x pikemen w/FC and hvy. armor and tried them out at units of 25x w/FC and hvy amror, but I'm debating on fielding units of 30x pikemen w/FC and hvy. armor in a 6x5 formation or maybe units of 28x w/FC and hvy. armor in ranks of 7x4. Are any of these good ideas and are Riccos Republican Guard worth it? I'll post my army list as soon as I can. :)

Lord Dan
05-09-2008, 18:07
I wouldn't take huge formations if you're using the models as Regiments of Reknown, as that just gets way too expensive. I would, however, reccomend you take some units of good ol' regular pikemen to add some numbers to your army. For these units I would take 25-30 in a 6x5 formation (I find that 7 across is somewhat unwieldy on a 4x6 table).

Jo Bennett
05-09-2008, 18:29
I've played with a unit of 35 (with my general) in a 4 by 9 formation. Probably not tactically the best but one hell of a lot of fun. Especially when you manage to taunt an Orc general into charging boarboyz at them.

Incidentally I found the 6th ed empire spearmen excellent bases for converting pikes. I used cocktail sticks but they're a bit chunky.

Malorian
05-09-2008, 18:54
Usually it's better to go wider, but with pikemen I don't think it's that important.

I'd make them 5X5 to keep your rank bonus, and if you are up against a horde opponent then just deploy them as 6X4+1.

Condottiere
05-09-2008, 20:35
Like everything, it depends on circumstances. If the enemy had access to war machines, you've just handed them a juicy target. Then you have to be confident that flanking attacks don't succeed.

If you must, don't go broader than 7 models, or deeper than 5. If facing a fear or terror causing opponent, the Leopard Company might be a better bet, since it sucks when your main unit decides the pub is still open and calling that last order.

Duke Georgal
06-09-2008, 00:59
Try unit size 18, 6 wide and three ranks.

That always works good, and you get more maneuver elements.

Makaber
06-09-2008, 02:04
I think the most important part of using Pikemen isn't as much their formation, but having enough of them. Nobody wants to attack Pikemen head on, and if you only have one or two units, your army will consist of so many other targets your opponent can simply choose to kill everything else instead. You have to tie up enough points, and create a solid enough line to force your opponent to tacke the Pikemen on your terms.

Without any real experience playing with DoW, I'd use 3 units of 25 if I were to build an army based on my best judgement.

Condottiere
06-09-2008, 02:54
Pikemen are comparable in cost to High Elf spears, if not more so. In a 2K game with RoR, that could be almost half your army.

Rioghan Murchadha
06-09-2008, 05:03
I've been running DoW for a loooooooong time now, and there are 2 basic rules I use for pike blocks.

1: Whatever the width of your units, always have a spare rank beyond 4, simply because with only the bare 4 ranks, every casualty you suffer reduces the combat capability of the unit later on in the game. (Since pikes fight in 4 ranks)

2: Don't waste the points on heavy armour. Pikes get first strike against almost everything, so just hope and pray you do enough damage to prevent too many return attacks ;)

3: Naked duellists are DIRT cheap, so if you're worried about your light armoured pikemen getting shot up, buy them a screening unit (Also helps prevent your pike blocks from getting flanked in a pinch)

Ok, so that was 3 rules.. sue me... :p

RossS
06-09-2008, 07:06
Pikemen units work well in blocks of around 30 to 35. They must be either 6x5 or 7x5. They are not really an economical choice, since they can be dealt with pretty easily, but they can dish out a ton of attacks. Also, they look glorious...even as they are being butchered by artillery/magic missiles.

Makaber
06-09-2008, 16:38
Pikemen are comparable in cost to High Elf spears, if not more so. In a 2K game with RoR, that could be almost half your army.

I know. If you opt to go Pikemen, you need to be dedicated about it. Just having a single unit around is a waste of points, as it will simply be ignored until it can be outflanked.