PDA

View Full Version : AoBR: Expecting a huge surge of Ork players?

Vandur Last
06-09-2008, 06:36
So with the awesome value of the Orkoid models in the Assault on Black Reach box collecting an Ork army has suddenly become financially viable for alot of people.
Especially if you go in on release day and swap the Marines for more Orks with someone elses AoBR kit.

Asides from this theres the fact that Orks are more visible now than they have been for a long time. I wonder how many current Nid (or Dark Eldar) players got hooked on that race because the 40K starter box came with them.

On top of all this theres the fact that the plentiful cover saves of 5th ed. work in favour of units who are tough but have weak armour, such as Orks. Not to mention thier ability to field massive mobs of troops to capitalize on 5th's focus on Objectives.

Finally, and this is more of a personal point, i think i might have better luck painting Orks than i did Eldar. Orks are meant to look gritty and grimy, with not much ornamental detail work such as scrolls and intricate banners. This should benefit painters of lower skill such as myself, allowing us to end up with a respectable looking force.

So anyway, the question for discussion is: Do we expect to see alot more Greenskins now that AoBR has hit the shelves?

Overt_Spy
06-09-2008, 06:40
Sure, I'd expect to see both surges for Orks and Space Marines. Hell, I'm starting Space Marines because of the boxed set.

Based on what I've seen on here at least, a lot of people are going for the marines. Not to say that everyone is, but most posts on here people are claiming their either starting marines, adding to an existing force, or starting a different chapter. Of the two, I'd probably expect to see more Space Marines armies popping up than orks. However, I'm sure there'll be plenty of greenskin love going around.

Sidorio
06-09-2008, 06:55
It's partly because of AoBR, that i'm getting a new army in 40k... i just can't pick between the two

Vic
06-09-2008, 07:00
I toying with the idea of orks. They seem like an army my son would like LOL

He's a bit thick in da' 'ead

Kirasu
06-09-2008, 07:14
Im expecting massive surge downwards on ebay prices for certain models

juliusb
06-09-2008, 07:32
It's just such a sick deal, I spent $140 (2 Black Reach, traded SM + bought 1 set of Orks for $20) to get 100 Boys, 25 Nobs, 15 Deffcoptas and 5 Warbosses. I have a fun new army that I'm going to tuck away to be built during the cold Michigan winter.

Orks are conversion heaven too, I can't wait to do all sorts of crazy things with them. $140 for a fun, oddball army is just impossible to pass up, especially when I look at my $150 Wraithguard squad!

I'm sure there's plenty of people who are thinking like me so we'll see tons of new Ork armies, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with to make them unique!

Clang
06-09-2008, 08:54
yeah, if you can trade the unwanted marines for another set of orks, it's a great start for an ork army. I'm sitting here admiring the sprues and imagining all the conversions I can make out of the deffkoptas. Love the Nobs and boss too. The boys are mostly repeats of what you can build with the ork boy kit, but with enough differences to still be worthwhile.

vman
06-09-2008, 09:57
Orks are conversion heaven too, I can't wait to do all sorts of crazy things with them. $140 for a fun, oddball army is just impossible to pass up, especially when I look at my $150 Wraithguard squad!

I hear ya there brother ! LOL... 10 wraithguard models = 1 small SM and 1 small Orc army, plus dice, rules, fluff and box !!!

WIN?!?

Kronos
06-09-2008, 13:57
Yep, starting Orks because of aobr, wasn't too sure but the free Nob in white dwarf was so detailed that it made me reconsider doing vc, and it did. Also have quite a good idea for a warboss too, not that i don't like the new warboss but I just have this firm idea that Ork warboss' need to be in mega armour, they look meaner :evilgrin:

Also with the sm there plenty to trade with :)

sukigod
06-09-2008, 14:18
I'm going the opposite route here - well, maybe not opposite. I picked it up to add to my 4,ooo points of orks I currently have (deff coptas, finally) and to start a Space MArine force. This is a great deal for someone who want's both. Now I gotta bits blitz ebay and look for dreadnaught arms....

victorpofa
06-09-2008, 14:32
I already have an Ork army I am working on. The AOBR box just allowed me to use my multiparts for my shoota boys, and make the slugga boys faster to acquire and assemble. :D Two boxes should do me for my 1500 point force, and another pair of boxes should be more than I will ever need. :evilgrin: The Nobs will be converted to Flash Gits if the upcoming Nob box does not have that option in it. Can't really do that with my metal Nobs.

The Marines will be parsed out to other armies. The Terminators go to Deathwing, one Commander and one Tactical squad will be added to my Blood Angels, and the other Tactical squad might be painted Ultramarines to see how a squad of those will look. One Dread and the other Commander will likely join my future Salamanders, and the other Dread might get Orkified. :evilgrin:

I hear you about those $150-$170 squads. My Wraithguard were bought thanks to the Apocalypse box last year, and my Pariah were thanks to GW's website goof up allowing me to get them half off. Ogryns are currently out of reach until they come out in plastic. That Ogryn Auxilia was more expensive than buying the contents individually. :cries:

Yautja
06-09-2008, 14:37
Bringing my Orks to 1500 pts with the FoBR and starting a Blood Angels army. I love the way the new Warboss looks.

Killgore
06-09-2008, 14:39
I'v got a AoBR box for myself and went splits with someone else on another box to get the Orks :D

such a fantastic deal there will be alot more Ork gamers hopefuly in my area so we can make a proper Apocalypse WAAAAGGGH!

robertsjf
06-09-2008, 14:43

Dad?!? I can't believe you posted that on the interweb!

AfroCelt
06-09-2008, 14:45
I suspect many of the ork gamers will leave for other armies once the space marine and IG codexes come though....it's just how flavor of the month lists work. There will be more trickling in due to AoBR being the starter box, but they'll still lose out to the marines in popularity.

I'm hoping so at least...something tells me this will let ebay get me to another 100 boy mob for apocalypse.

The_Outsider
06-09-2008, 15:42
I suspect we'll see a lot more 750-1k size ork/marine forces, but by and large the number of players of said armies at 1500 would remain fairly consistent (factoring in "oooh its shiny" syndrome).

AmScipio
06-09-2008, 15:48
I bought two AoBR sets, and my friend is buying a third. Instant OpFor.

Templar Ben
06-09-2008, 16:13
I don't expect to see many more Ork Armies. There will be some but it will be mostly Space Marine players that figure why not put them together since they have them anyway.

I saw on Age of Strife where they have the leaked summary sheet of the Marines and I could see that army shooting up in numbers...not that they need it.

Straha
06-09-2008, 16:26
It's partly because of AoBR, that i'm getting a new army in 40k... i just can't pick between the two

Build both --- the AoBR value is so good that you can buy 2 sets and have a nice little Ork Army. (40 Orks, 10 Nobz, 6 Kopptas, & 2 Warbosses are a great base)

Plus, you still have all the ingredients for a nice little Space Marines force. (2 tactical squads, 2 dreadnoughts, 10 terminators, and 2 Captains) :D

I have 2 AoBR (under 100 dollars) coming along with a battleforce (72 dollars) for a Crimson Fists Army (yeah, I read White Dwarf and liked the build :p). The Orks are going to be Deathskulls.

sigur
06-09-2008, 16:30

It's hard to believe that there are actually adults who use "LOL" in that inappropriate and useless way.

Sure there will be more Orks players. Should be interesting. But those probably will move on to other armies once they come out. Just like all the Goblins armies that emerged when BfSP came out. Nothing too surprising.

ashc
06-09-2008, 16:43
There will certainly be a surge in Ork players as well as marine expansions all over the place I would think.

Its a shame I don't really want to build an Ork army (my housemate has them and bought himself an AoBR today) nor another marine army (I have Black Templars and to be honest, the AoBR models aren't really what i want to expand the force). And I already have 5th ed. rulebook and templates!

Yes, I apparently am a loser :(

Ash

Askari
06-09-2008, 17:11
I've started an Ork army because of AoBR.

My sister, who's wanted to play for ages, but can't afford the models, got my Space Marines, since those loyalist scum won't help me anyway, and I hardly need more converts.

I loved the Warboss in the set so much, I've decided to make a fully-fledged Ork force, instead of just keeping the AoBR set as a mini-army. 2 more sets, and some Mega-armoured warriors are the next buy.

Venerable_Bede
06-09-2008, 17:17
It certainly got me started doing an Ork army. Now that AoBR has come out I don't actually need it. I've already got more than enough Boyz! Oh well.....

MrGiggles
06-09-2008, 17:24
I think we'll still see a lot of Marine players and we'll see an increase in the number of Ork players. That being said though, I think the Marine players have more staying power than the Ork players, simply because you get a larger portion of a 'complete' Marine army with the set than you do an Ork army. Granted, you need to buy more models for either side if you want to expand the army, the Marines just expand faster than Orks in terms of points.

BlastmasterJ
06-09-2008, 17:53
Wish i could have afforded to buy the box and swap SM for Orks, but insted i just found some one who franticly wanted some marines n went halves on the box, and he didnt want the rule book or dice or any thing :-D
20 for all dem orks and rules n every thing, happy man!
J

Tanner MIrabel
06-09-2008, 17:59
It's a great deal for everyone. I mainly wanted the small rulebook, the Orks I will sell, and the marines are probably part of a future army.

Didn't there used to be a sales/swap area on here?

Adra
06-09-2008, 18:28
Great, more green skinned buggers for my Blood Feeder to harvest......

Killmaimburn
06-09-2008, 18:37
I bought 2 AOBRs, swapped out the SM tactical squads for another guys Orks (I think it was a marmite kind of thing) swapped the 2nd rulebook for a razorback, so I fill all my gaps in my smurfs and have near on 1500 of starter orkyness :)
Happy days