PDA

View Full Version : Weighing model bases, im stuck.

Warheart
06-09-2008, 15:53
Ive always been a fan of weighing the bases of my models by glueing a coin underneath them. It helps with balance and its cool when they weigh more, they feel less flimsy. However i just started a nid army and the hormagaunts fall foward alot, and due to the clip in bases i cant put a coin underneath.

What should i use?

Tonberry
06-09-2008, 15:56
Green stuff either side of the slot.

Herman the Heathen
06-09-2008, 15:57
Put your bases upside down. Fill 'em up with fine sand. Then add a drop or three of superglue to the sand.

Won't weigh as much as a coin but' it'll help.

Ifurita
06-09-2008, 15:58
I've been cutting pennies in half with a pair of metal shears. You can also use fishing weights or buckshot.

Bunnahabhain
06-09-2008, 16:08
For weighting odd shaped bases, buckshot or BBs are your best bet. Higher density than most of the other alternatives.

Elbows of Death
06-09-2008, 16:15
I agree with metal bb's.

Master Stark
06-09-2008, 16:20
I just cut strips from a sheet of lead.

Kymmerus
06-09-2008, 16:31
I use washers on the bases of my hormagaunts.. keeps them from being tippy I get the added aspect of them being able to work with a magnetic transport setup.. I just take a base with me to Home Depot / nearest hardware store and match the size to the base

ashc
06-09-2008, 16:35
I've been cutting pennies in half with a pair of metal shears

Yes, I would think chopping pennies or soft lead is a good idea.

Templar Ben
06-09-2008, 16:37
If you are in the US get 6 1/2 bird shot. They are lead shot that fits well. You can use 7 but it will be smaller.

Staurikosaurus
06-09-2008, 16:38
you can get a big bag of lead shot for cheap. You just pour a bit of super glue into the base and then pour some lead shot in. Works great.

Templar Ben
06-09-2008, 16:43
Man I am good. :p

I am not sure how easy shot is in different countries though.

DhaosAndy
06-09-2008, 16:44
Try filling the base (either side of the slot) with No.10 or 11 shot, then add a few drops of superglue, as has been suggested. Or get some tungsten putty (used as a weight for fishing) and push it into the base on top of a drop of superglue.

Templar Ben
06-09-2008, 16:50
I just went and looked and I got my numbers backwards. I use 6 and 7 1/2. LOL

I don't think I have seen our stores carrying anything as small as number 10 unless we have a different numbering system. I am in the US so that is very possible.

MrGiggles
06-09-2008, 16:56
I use 3/8" washers glued to the bottom before the base is painted. They're cheap (though not so cheap as pennies), provide plenty of weight for most things and can be purchased in bulk at most hardware stores.

DhaosAndy
06-09-2008, 17:19
@ Templar Ben: I think we use the same numbering system for shot. I was refering to dust shot (ie No.8 and smaller) which in the UK go down to a No.12. I would guess that in the US No.8 would be about the smallest size (in fishing shot) since the kind of fishing for which the very small shot is used doesn't seem to be popular in the US.

Note that shot in the UK (for fishing, which is the easiest to obtain) is only made of lead in sizes 8 - 12, sizes 6 and up are non lead and therefore larger for any given weight.

HsojVvad
06-09-2008, 19:19
I use pennies for my hormies. I use to think because of the slot I can't do it. You know what? I do it. It hovers over the ground a bit, but I don't care now, since my Hormies will not fall forward now. Plus you have a good solid base with the penny.

It just gets a bit getting use to, but I like it now. No cutting pennies no shots. Someone else mentioned in anthour thread is cut the slot out from the bottom and then glue in your penny.

DeLerium
06-09-2008, 19:47
I use a blob of green stuff either side for my 'gaunts, as much as I can fit underneath and still have the edges of the base on the table. Weighs them sufficiently for me, you don't need much weight to balance them usually because the plastic isn't too heavy in itself.

HsojVvad
06-09-2008, 19:51
I just like the heavier feel of the penny for me. Hormies just seem more fragil with the leaping forward motion. :P

RexTalon
06-09-2008, 19:53
Erm. I would just like to point out that cutting pennies in half IS a federal crime. Now, that said, the FBI isn't going to hunt you down for it. It's far too small time to worry about.

I don't know why the OP can't just glue a washer to the bottom. So what if the models are one eighth of an inch taller.

Nekron99
06-09-2008, 19:59
+1 for the washers. I have them on all my minis, they are cheap and stick to a magnetic strip for storage. They raise the mini up a tiny bit too, which I think is kinda cool...

Jos
06-09-2008, 20:01
Erm. I would just like to point out that cutting pennies in half IS a federal crime. Now, that said, the FBI isn't going to hunt you down for it. It's far too small time to worry about.

I don't know why the OP can't just glue a washer to the bottom. So what if the models are one eighth of an inch taller.

So is gluing money to something at all...
most countries have quite hardass laws on such things. (not that I've ever heard of anyone arrested or judged for such a crime.
Leftover metal bitz, or leftovers from the molding process floats my boat

Templar Ben
06-09-2008, 20:03
Until December 15, 2006 it was legal to melt coins and sell the metal as scrap so I doubt that simply cutting money is illegal. Defacing money and then using it is illegal but I have seen nothing that says that defacing a single coin is illegal. If so, there are some tourist machines that need to be removed.

Edit: Found the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/14/business/14pennies.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&ref=business&adxnnlx=1220727794-GcE95Ow/5+ZROmduWdkGsw) article

Moriarty
06-09-2008, 21:23
Try fabric shops or similar. They sell lengths of cloth with lead weights manufactured in for weighting the bottom of curtains.

HsojVvad
07-09-2008, 00:40

Exactly who care is they are a bit higher. But pennies are cheaper though, unless you are in a business that can get them in real bulk.

mudcow304
07-09-2008, 01:00
I have always used either blu tac or plasticine to weight down those troublesome standard bearers etc that insist on falling over at every opportunity.

Aditionally, I find it hard to stick anything bearing the queens face to the bottom of a mini merely as ballast.

Oh and my wife works in child care and so can bring plasticine home from work . . . . . . .

Mouldsta
07-09-2008, 01:19
There's an even easier method with hormies that doesn't involve weights at all:

Simply model them so they have one claw touching the table (i.e. below the base) - this way they balance themselves and don't fall over.

HsojVvad
07-09-2008, 01:43
There's an even easier method with hormies that doesn't involve weights at all:

Simply model them so they have one claw touching the table (i.e. below the base) - this way they balance themselves and don't fall over.

Great idea, and with TLoS they will be able to hide behind cover better as well. Oh I can hear everyone else crying, but I like that idea. Sneaking Hormies, I love it, almost like a Lictor about to stalk it's prey LOL

mudcow304
07-09-2008, 01:48
Hmmm, it would seem that I have really missed a trick on the new LOS rules. . . .

On that note, is it just me or has that new LOS scopey thing dissapeared off the GW UK site?

Warheart
07-09-2008, 02:13
Thanks for all the replies guys, its been most helpful. Ill drop by the hardware store today and pickup some heavy washers and some cutters. Just personal preference but i dont like the idea of the models sitting higher then the base allows.

THanks again most helpful.

tankworks
07-09-2008, 04:31
Am I correct in guessing that Warheart lives in the UK where pennies are 2 inches across and weigh an ounce and a half? hah hah!

mudcow304
07-09-2008, 04:33
Warheart, if like me yo are consigned to playing in the garage by a misunderstanding wife the the blu tack option can be worth it's weight in gold when it stops your minis falling over in the wind! Oh and it is a dammed sight less difficult than cutting coins up!

Dach
07-09-2008, 04:45
Tip for pennies or washer and hormy or anything that got a tendency to fall on only one side.

Just glue one half of penny or washer in the opposite direction where the mini is facing.

Warheart
07-09-2008, 08:10
Actually i live in australia. 5cent coins are my poison. They are almost a perfect fir but dont weigh that much, so ive been wanting to get some washers or similar anyway.

edward3h
07-09-2008, 13:15
I used UK 2p coins on some of the more difficult models in my collection - it makes the bases a bit taller but that doesn't bother me.

Here's an example:
http://www.pewc.co.uk/gallery/warhammer_40_000/chaos_space_br___marines__ed_/raptors.jpg