PDA

View Full Version : Going off Armies

Vam2tic
07-09-2008, 08:30
Random question but i noticed yesterday at my LGS that i have a serious problem. I can not keep an army going up to the 2250 points mark. It is a problem that i would like help to try and stop. I was wondering if any one has any thought on this or if you suffer from this as well. Also i was wondering what do you think i should start between high elves or getting the chaos slannesh lord on a daemonic mount to start a new slannesh warriors army.

Thanks very much appreciated

Vam2tic

Tarax
07-09-2008, 09:03
What exacly do you mean?

You loose interest in an army before it reaches 2250 points? So you never have an army to play with against people from your LGS?

I don't know which army/armies you have and what the reason was to choose that/them. Go with that and you won't be disappointed.

Vam2tic
07-09-2008, 09:25
well i have 1500 points of VC and over 2000 of eldar. i have started high elves, wood elves,lizzies,warriors of chaos and orcs. i just wanted to know if any one else had this problem

Velsharoon
07-09-2008, 11:14
Yep, tho its more I want to do everything not that I lose interest. My plague Marines are at 1750 about 2/3rds painted and im taking them slowly (a batch of 5 minnies every 2 weeks on average) to make sure I dont burn out

Another thing is to vary things up so you dont get bored, reward yourself as it were. Ie if you collect demons but wouldnt mind painting a high elf dragon go for it, long as its fun, its your hobby.

Also I find it best not to buy a **** load of minnies at a time. Got a lot of orcs and goblins but its just far to daunting, but I got them on the cheap so cant complain. I just realise they will be kept in stoage till their time comes round again :)

Urgat
07-09-2008, 11:22
Random question but i noticed yesterday at my LGS that i have a serious problem. I can not keep an army going up to the 2250 points mark. It is a problem that i would like help to try and stop. I was wondering if any one has any thought on this or if you suffer from this as well. Also i was wondering what do you think i should start between high elves or getting the chaos slannesh lord on a daemonic mount to start a new slannesh warriors army.

her... you shouldn't start either and keep doing your previous army? :p

If you don't lose interest, and just want to do everything, well, just make a small 500pts force of each and every army, then build up from there (doesn't sound like money is a problem, so)

SilentTempest
07-09-2008, 13:45
I have the same thing happen to me. Fortunately, I'm too stingy to dish out for other armies and force myself to finish the one I'm on. Having said that, I've been known to just start an army and then have second thoughts, buy a box from something else before I feel like I've commited to that new army, etc. My trouble is that I take so long to paint them because I have so little free time that my last army (a 1500 point DE army) took about 3 years to paint on-and-off. I've been working on a Wood Elf army since Christmas and have only done 24 Dryads (yep, sad, I know :S)

I think, if you want an army to stick with, you can try 2 things:

1. Pick the one that really appeals to you, the one that you first liked when you got into the hobby, just because it was so cool. Don't try to rationalise it, just go with your gut. It really does work.

2. If you're just no good at going with your gut, go for something that can do a bit of everything. Lizards and Empire (especially) are good examples, with a variety of different units to choose from, and a variety of playstyles that can work for them. That way you can try different things even though you're using the same army. If this doesn't appeal to you, see solution 1 :P

isidril93
07-09-2008, 13:48
i think i know what you mean. i wanted to start 7 armies in the last 6 months. just plan it and take it slowly.

Duke Georgal
07-09-2008, 13:56
I can not keep an army going up to the 2250 points mark.

I had, and maybe still have, this problem.

I got "serious" about warhammer when the 5th edition set came out. Before that I was working on High Elves, and played a few games, but nothing too serious.

I quickly collected a complete Lizardman army, and that is what I was playing. My true interest was Bretonnia, but they were painting up very slowly.

I was soon distracted by, and started collecting, undead (this was pre-TK), orcs, and empire.

Now, ten years later, I have complete and painted Lizardman, Bretonnia, Vampires, Orcs, and Empire. I am currently in progress on Dark Elves, High Elves (still), and Dwarfs.

I guess the message is just to stick with it. This is a great hobby, and if it takes you five years to finally settle on an army as your "first:, then so be it. Enjoy Wahammer in your own way.

Disciple of Caliban
07-09-2008, 18:18
Bah, it happens. My main worry isnt so much losing interest in a particular force, but rather bouncing between fantasy and 40k. I've spent the last few months frantically assembling (and slowly painting) space marines, but i'm currently feeling the fantasy bug and so have just dug my wood elves out of the back of my shed, to get back to work on my wild hunt army (unfortunately, that meant putting all the new AOBR models i've just bought into the shed, though i have left a couple of squads out to give me a break from painting elves).

The point of my little rant? well there wasnt much of one really, i suppose the point is go with whatever really appeals to you at the time, if that means it takes a long time to get up a serious sized force then that doesnt really matter. The only piece of advice i would give, is dont buy a lot of models at once, if you're frequently changing your mind theres no point buying a lot of models that will just sit around for a long time, and knowing you've a lot of models to prep and paint can be daunting (ask my 5k of O + G, most of whom are still on sprues in a big box in that shed)

neXus6
07-09-2008, 21:22
I'm always losing interest/changing my mind about armies, it is a real pain in the ****. You talk to people who have thousands and thousands of points worth of an army yet have only been collecting a few years, while I've got 2 2000pt armies max and I've been playing for 15, yet I own models from pretty much every race in every game. :rolleyes:

It's just one of those things you have to live with and try and keep under control. :p