PDA

View Full Version : miniature style

sigur
24-04-2005, 18:33
Are you also worried about the style change of GW miniatures? I just had a look at the Wood Elf mage today and it's looking over the top to me. It looks like a Confrontation miniature whose style I really don't like.

What's your opinion on that? Do you think all this "highoverthetopmagicfantasy"-thing is gonna be the future of GW miniatures and all miniatures in general?

Eversor
24-04-2005, 19:48
Although GW miniatures have been "over the top" for a long time (huge swords and shoulderpads anyone?), I do feel that they have lost a bit of style the last few years. Not sure why, but the rising popularity of confrontation and other "extreme fantasy" models probably has something to do with it.

Prime example are the new space marines. The Macragge guards have an almost comic book style of exaggeration...

jackdude
02-05-2005, 04:23
I persoanlly find the style change to be quite noticable. Just look at the empire soldiers sprue and the newer commander sprues that it comes with. The newer command minis are much more out of porportion with big hands, heads, etc. I would imagine that it has gotten even worse by now.

Duymon
02-05-2005, 09:05
Maybe it's the "extreme" theme that GW is aiming towards to attract the young people who all like "extreme" things :O

Just look at how blinged out commanders are compared to 10 years ago (^_^)

Shadowheart
03-05-2005, 17:21
The trend that I dislike most is the "blinging", throwing insane amounts of junk over the miniatures that passes for 'detail'. You've got your billowing cloaks, tattered rags, furs, purity seals, pouches, skulls, jewels, scrolls, bionics and so on and somewhere underneath all that there's supposed to be a miniature. It doesn't much help that the face that peeks out of that pile of junk is invariably screaming or scowling.

Oversized hands and weapons have always been part of GW's style, but they used to make more elegant and characterful miniatures which I find much nicer to look at and to paint. They've got to take a couple of steps back and concider how much 'detail' enhances the basic design, and how much starts to take away from it. Jes Goodwin's Space Marine armour is a classic, it doesn't need to be drowned in "bling" to make it look good.